Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I think the show suffers slightly with all the seediness. Though I guess there's not much that can be done considering how the source material is apparently rife with it.

Anyway, I'm enjoying where it's going atm. Came across some major spoilers online though. :mad:

The source material isn't really that rife with it.

I felt Martin's books reflected sex accurately. I can't help but feel that the writers were so "amazed" by the sex in the book that it stood out in their minds way, way more than it's actually there. It just seemed so dramatic to them when it wasn't really. I've watched enough old Italian horror films so it doesn't shock me or phaze me at all, but even they very rarely had that many sex scenes. It just takes up too big a proportion.

I think that the saucy-looking girl sitting with Littlefinger near the end was definitely worth it, not so much all of the other stuff. Like they might have done without the whole Ser Loras/Renly though, which isn't even in the first book.
    Great episode
    But the more this goes on the more lost I'm getting

I understand the main characters of course

But I hadn't a clue about that shaving scene and who they are

Bought the book in Easons yesterday so I'll try to catch up by next week

Don't worry about it because even in the book they have a map and an appendix showing the characters names and the houses they're attached to.

You will know all though after reading the book, it's definitely a good idea.

You know next week they're going to be showing two episodes in the US... episode 6 is going to be on HBO, then episode 7 will be on HBO Go. The week after they'll be showing episode 7 on HBO as normal.

I think I'll stick with the Sky Atlantic showing of them, as I don't want to have to wait for two weeks for a new episode after episode 7. To me this just sounds like a gimmick for HBO Go and not something natural for the series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

WTF? :mad: - are you saying White Walkers are ubdead or ghost?....duh! SPOILER ALERT! :(

Ratings rise...third week in a row: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/17/game-of-thrones-ratings-climb/

ah jaysus, i haven't read the bukes at all, i am just clutching at straws for jorey's return, what a sneaky way for jamie lannister to kill him

i thought it was made clear in the first episode that the white walkers have a vampire thingy going on whereby if they kill you, you become one of them, maybe i picked that up wrong

jorey was an unbelievable character and is a sad loss to the show unless he returns in ghost/white walker form

incidentally when are we getting back to the wall and when are we going to learn more about the white walkers? maybe ned's brother has been ahem....compromised, he has been away so long, again just speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Still, the guy playing Loras does not have the build of a knight and could not possibly wield a broadsword, nevermind wear plate armour

In the books he wields a morningstar when in actual combat.I don,t know if that would require less strength than a broadsword.

donfers wrote: »
    incidentally when are we getting back to the wall and when are we going to learn more about the white walkers? maybe ned's brother has been ahem....compromised, he has been away so long, again just speculation

THESE QUESTIONS CANNOT BE ANSWERED AS THEY SAY WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN FUTURE EPISODES.

Why anyone would want other people to spoil something for them is beyond me.

And nobody should even be mentioning the White Walkers. The White Walkers should be banned completely from any discussion. ANYTHING anyone who has read the books says about the White Walkers is going to tell people something about what will happen.

Asking questions about what's going to happen with the White Walkers etc., what a joke. :mad:

• Advertisement

THESE QUESTIONS CANNOT BE ANSWERED AS THEY SAY WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN FUTURE EPISODES.

Why anyone would want other people to spoil something for them is beyond me.

And nobody should even be mentioning the White Walkers. The White Walkers should be banned completely from any discussion. ANYTHING anyone who has read the books says about the White Walkers is going to tell people something about what will happen.

Asking questions about what's going to happen with the White Walkers etc., what a joke. :mad:

chill out mate, as i already said i haven't read the bukes, when i speculate about stuff or ask stuff let's be clear that i am just looking for debate and discussion with people who don't know what will happen, if you have read the books and know what will happen then i assume you would have the intelligence not to jump in and put us right/wrong/spoil

some people truly do have their knickers in a twist, it really is a joke you're right

note to self: must not speculate for fear of being accused of spoiling even though I have no idea what will happen

so i know we have spoiler tags, but for the benefit of the highly sensitised knickers in a twist types perhaps it's time to consider speculation tags now, in fact let's just censor out all posts, that way nobody will get upset and the series will retain a sense of mystery and intrigue, yes let's do that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

has there been any overreaction to the latest episode's
    horse beheading?
    , I remember the hilarity after
    lady died earlier in the season
    and all the ultimatums from angry fans/idiots.
    anyone seen anything?

chill out mate, as i already said i haven't read the bukes, when i speculate about stuff or ask stuff let's be clear that i am just looking for debate and discussion with people who don't know what will happen, if you have read the books and know what will happen then i assume you would have the intelligence not to jump in and put us right/wrong/spoil

some people truly do have their knickers in a twist, it really is a joke you're right

note to self: must not speculate for fear of being accused of spoiling even though I have no idea what will happen

so i know we have spoiler tags, but for the benefit of the highly sensitised knickers in a twist types perhaps it's time to consider speculation tags now, in fact let's just censor out all posts, that way nobody will get upset and the series will retain a sense of mystery and intrigue, yes let's do that

Ignoramous!!!!

Ignoramous!!!!

the irony of calling someone an "ignoramous" and spelling the intended word incorrectly will probably be lost on you, nonetheless i think it speaks volumes :p

anyway shall we return to discussing the show?

another point of interest in that episode was that it contained the first glimpse of any kind of humanity or vulnerability from Cersei, I feared in the first few episodes that the characters would be rather one-dimensional and that we would have goodies and baddies but it seems that as the show progresses we are seeing that as the characters develop they are not quite as predictable and superficial as they at first appeared

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Attack the post, not the posters, folks. Infraction for SuperInfinity.

As I said a few weeks ago, GoT is a unique show in that it's following the book pretty closely (therefore its easy for book readers to spoil future events in the TV show).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

SuperInfinity you seem a tad highly strung. I was about to answer donfers question and say we couldn't really say anything about the white walkers without giving too much away. You basically attacked him for asking. A bit of an overreaction I think. It really is very easy to reply to people patiently and with some respect if you just give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

gutted by the death of jorey - he could have been a contender, hopefully he will return in ghost form or as a white walker with a conscirnce

what an episode that, all sorts going on

thats sounds like far more then speculation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

has there been any overreaction to the latest episode's
    horse beheading?
    , I remember the hilarity after
    lady died earlier in the season
    and all the ultimatums from angry fans/idiots.
    anyone seen anything?

Nope....all quite, even the producers thought the reaction by fans was OTT :rolleyes:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/15/game-of-thrones-interview/

There seemed to be more outrage early in the season for killing Sansa’s direwolf than pushing Bran out the window.
    DB: Some people have questionable priorities. I love dogs. But I love my kids more than I love my dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

thats sounds like far more then speculation

Yup, i never picked up on the White Walkers being vampires.....seems rather spoilery specific to me :(

Yup, i never picked up on the White Walkers being vampires.....seems rather spoilery specific to me :(

Yes it is spoilers. Lots of things being talked about here are. (I would also not repeat such things).

I resent the expression of "getting your knickers in a twist". I think it's a low brow insult, it has no meaning apart from to say "this person is angry and I don't like that they are angry". Most insults convey some meaning. That is just inflammatory nonsense and I believe any mod who has a clue should see that.

He was mocking me for giving out about spoilers and yet the mods give out to me. I don't know how anyone who has any interest in a series considers it's wrong to give out about people spoiling things. Only people who have trouble with spelling or find it "challenging" point out someone's spelling in a derogatory way, are we really that simple-minded and immature around here?

I can understand it getting annoying for people to be continually complaining about spoilers. This is because the mods can't or won't stop people spoiling things. Here this guy was openly asking questions that would spoil the whole show for people. It's a joke.

I'm done with this board. The mods do not have things under control in any way here, spoilers are around the place like landmines.

Bye everyone, it was good here at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

(....feels like he's walked in on his parents having a fight.....)

On the issue of the episode itself, it was my least favourite so far.

I missed Daenerys Targaryan/ Dothraki storyline this week as well..I was hoping for a little more tension between herself and her brother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

To those of you concerned about the "spoiler", its pretty obvious if you read over the post that he's just wildly speculating and hasn't read the books so you can all calm down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Once again though I'm utterly confused as to what I can or can't talk about. Figured that as they already featured in episode 1 we could talk about what the White Walkers might be, or might not be. Seemingly not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

pljudge321 wrote: »
    To those of you concerned about the "spoiler", its pretty obvious if you read over the post that he's just wildly speculating and hasn't read the books so you can all calm down.

Exactly! I originally pointed out he got confused with names. Calling Jory Joffrey. So mentioned to him that he should probably change that in case people think Joffrey got killed.
    I never asked him to change about the white walkers as it's clearly wild speculation and that's perfectly healthy in a bloody discussion thread.

I'm hoping that SuperInfinity guy is gone. Ya I know attack the post and all that but anything I've read from him just comes across so badly. Somebody mentioned before, read his posts while thinking of 'comic book guy' from Simpsons. Fits perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

giftgrub wrote: »
    (....feels like he's walked in on his parents having a fight.....)

On the issue of the episode itself, it was my least favourite so far.

I missed Daenerys Targaryan/ Dothraki storyline this week as well..I was hoping for a little more tension between herself and her brother

Think the next few eps will better establish the Dothraki and focus a bit more on that side of things.

Just thinking back there's actually quite a lot still to happen over the final five episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

ANYTHING anyone who has read the books says about the White Walkers is going to tell people something about what will happen.

Isn't that why people who have read the books should be posting in the sci-fi/fantasy forum thread rather than here when it comes to stuff like this? By making such a big deal out of donfers strangely specific "speculation", you've made it seem a lot more likely to be true (though I don't really know what to think). Speculation shouldn't be taken as a request for information by those who do know the answers.

If people who have read the book want to protect the rest of us from spoilers, wouldn't it be much better to quietly report the post to the mods so that they can remove or spoiler the offending text? I don't see why people who haven't read the books shouldn't be allowed to speculate about the White Walkers here.

On topic: I'm enjoying the show more than I thought I would since I've never been hugely into this type of fantasy. There's a good mix of action, intrigue and humour. Arya and Tyrion are the stand out characters for me, though Renly managed to catch my attention in the latest episode :p I found the horse beheading and kid suckling scenes very disturbing!

it's a good thing Lost is finished and done with, that forum would have been boring as **** if the no speculation rule was applied there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Mr E wrote: »
    Attack the post, not the posters, folks. Infraction for SuperInfinity.

As I said a few weeks ago, GoT is a unique show in that it's following the book pretty closely (therefore its easy for book readers to spoil future events in the TV show).
    Yes it is spoilers. Lots of things being talked about here are. (I would also not repeat such things).

People can always speculate but if people who have read it should head to the Sci-Fi forume to discuss it ther or discuss upto the tv series here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I resent the expression of "getting your knickers in a twist". I think it's a low brow insult, it has no meaning apart from to say "this person is angry and I don't like that they are angry". Most insults convey some meaning. That is just inflammatory nonsense and I believe any mod who has a clue should see that.

He was mocking me for giving out about spoilers and yet the mods give out to me. I don't know how anyone who has any interest in a series considers it's wrong to give out about people spoiling things. Only people who have trouble with spelling or find it "challenging" point out someone's spelling in a derogatory way, are we really that simple-minded and immature around here?

I can understand it getting annoying for people to be continually complaining about spoilers. This is because the mods can't or won't stop people spoiling things. Here this guy was openly asking questions that would spoil the whole show for people. It's a joke.

I'm done with this board. The mods do not have things under control in any way here, spoilers are around the place like landmines.

Goodbye .. I think there will be a lot less confusion now that you are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

its a pity I cant contribute to this thread

as its impossible to read through with spoiler boobytraps everywhere from people who have read the books and cant keep their traps shut :mad:

.. what spoilers?

i've read this thread and i dont remember any spoilers from the books in the past couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

.. what spoilers?

i've read this thread and i dont remember any spoilers from the books in the past couple of weeks

Agreed. People might have been comparing aspects of the book to the show when there's a divergence, but that's it, I haven't seen anyone spoil anything that hasn't happened already in the program.

This thread has more drama in it than the actual Game of Thrones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was just thinking I was so upset over Lady :(
    But the knight got skewered in the neck and died and I wasn't bothered at all

Be a nice college project for somebody, violence on TV towards humans and animals and the reaction you'd get

i think a moutain has been made out of a molehill here to be honest

for the third time i haven't read the books so i don't know how i can possibly spoil anything

i just threw out a few theories/questions that could be completely wrong/off the mark based on what has been shown on tv so far, anyway i won't do that again as i know it can cause confusion

i just think this is a very complex situation as some people are way ahead of us having read the books and they too are watching the tv show, on top of that the books and tv show differ in certain aspects and that further confuses so i imagine this show is a tough baby to mod

on other tv show threads like lost, people throwing theories and speculation about what was going to happen was actively encoouraged but here of course that is problematic because if one does that then s/he may be accused of spoiling (which as someone has mentioned is a spoil in itself because the accusation of spoiling by someone who has read the book suggests the wild speculator could be on the right track)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

It's a pain in the ass but I think the only way around this is if you're gonna speculate preface it with a " Now while I haven't read the books I wonder ......" in underlined bold font .

Advertisement