Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    That was a surprise for me too! Sure, in the books Renly is quite flamboyant, and Ser Loras is a knight, who swore an oath never to marry, and both were close, but I never once thought they were lovers. Was that some nuance I missed or perhaps more likely added in to the script for diversity?

Either way, it somehow fits.

Its in the books but its very subtle.In the tv show not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    It's hinted at, but never openly said.

Awesome episode.
    jonsnow wrote: »
    Its in the books but its very subtle.In the tv show not so much.

Seriously! Does it become more prevalent later in the series? Can't believe I missed that. Have to admit though now that I know, certain things do make so much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I've read the books a good few times now and that managed to go right over my head every time :confused: looks like another re-read...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Loras looked to scrawny, he's supposed to be a bit effeminate but he's also received a knights training since he has five and is supposed to be one of the most skilled fighters in the Kingdom.

skinny people with swords can kill too??:eek:
    who would have thunk it.

fantastic episode. it really isnt holding back on any of the visuals or dialog that may offend or upset.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Loras Tyrell and Renly Baratheon. And Loras Tyrell looks like a total weed.
    That came out of left field for me!
    We thought it was a great bit to take from the books :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I was just googling around there and apparently it's been common knowledge among more hardcore fans for years. Shows what I know :P

Heh I'm looking at the Knight of Flowers in a totally different light now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

The episode was a roller coaster ride.Just superb.It was an episode full of single combat.

Firstly two of the greatest jousters.I was watching it with my brother who hasn,t read the books.He asked what was cleganes name and I said "the mountain who rides".My brother then asked who he was fighting and when I said "the knight of flowers" he burst out laughing.Then we got to see the hound and gregor face off and it looked like the hound is the better fighter.Gregors trying to kill him but the hound is just trying to calm his brother down and manages to hold him off easily.

The battle of wits between littlefinger and varys was terrifying.These are the real players in the game of thrones - not robert or ned.It was interesting when one scored flesh wounds against the other.All their insults were irrelevant and ignored but when they discovered the other had information they were unaware of that wounded their pride and frightened them.I think they genuinely hate and respect each other.

The battle against the hill tribes was awesome as well.Quick, bloody and brutal.The only discordant note was when ser rodrik took a nasty wound and stopped catelyn from staunching it as he didn,t want to get his blood on her.It reminded me of that monthy python zulu sketch were the british soldiers are stoically being slaughtered but are horrified that the officers shaving kit isn,t ready.Lisa tully was wonderfully creepy and is obviously a few men-at-arms short of a castle.She had a chilling jangly off kilter energy.

The scene with greyjoy and ros felt a bit unnecessary and forced.I dont feel like we got to know Theon (except that in a battle of lovers he comes second to a dwarf)

The clash of wills between robert and ned was brillant with neds morals in "stark" contrast to everyone elses.

The battle between robert and cersi was poignant.We actually see that behibd the ruin of a man that robert is a masterful battle tactician.He sees the genuine threat that the Dothraki horde poses to his divided kingdom.Ned and Tywin lannister think because they have no heavy armour or siege equipment they can be easily dismissed.But robert knows that if the westerosi hide behind their castles they will be equally as doomed as if they meet the horde in open battle - "which only a fool would do".A catch 22.I think when robert said that he never loved cersei that he sealed his own faith in that moment.He may have won the battle to inflict the most pain on his spouse but he will lose that war.

Finally THAT swordfight between jamie and ned was superb and nuanced.It is the best swordfight since rob roy.In the books ned wouldn,t have lasted 10 seconds against the kingslayer but this is why you can sometimes do more with television.The ned from the books would not have been exactly renowned for slaying a dozen great knights but with sean beans rugged power you can do a lot.
    I loved the way jamie effortlessly dispatched neds best swordfighter (who gets more character development than in the books).He then indicates for ned to surrender.But he has SEVERELY underestimated his opponent and finds ned a far swifter and stronger fighter than he imagined.Great expressive acting.Jamie goes from amused to surprised to worried.When the lannister guardsman intervenes (like he was ordered to) you can see jamies dismay.Forever known as a backstabber(again).His chastisement was hilarious.

Why cant it be next monday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Did anyone else think that Lysa looks just a little bit like Mrs. Doyle? Except with a child hanging out of her
    right boob.

Awesome episode though. It's been so long since I read the books, but even so, I was not expecting that to be happening with Renly. I never picked up on that. Neither did my girlfriend who just finished GOT a few weeks ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ enough with the spoiler tags lads...episode is over!, kid sucking on a boob?...woah!, that was rather shocking!, very weird and creepy. Though there are women who breastfeed there children for many years, i've seen a special on C4 about a few years back.

Excellent episode!....great dialogue and lots of action!, beheaded horse?....RIP!, loving the backstabbing and skullduggery, great scene with Robert and Cersei. Getting better with each ep!

Loving Robert bullying the Lannister kid!....fat king Jolly(Robet) is gas!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/15/game-of-thrones-interview/

That was great.

If only the makers of Camelot were watching this!

I was pretty grossed out by the kid sucking on the teat, but it was funny to see my flatmate going, "it's plastic, it's plastic" and then realising it wasn't :pac:

Did NOT see Neds swordsman getting killed in that epic fight. Although I was surprised Jamie didn't take Ned. Surely Robert won't be happy with those shennanigans at all?

Anyway, LOVE this show. Every episode so far I've gone, "That was awesome" and meant it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It's been a long time since I read the books, but I must say:

I'm having some difficulty at times trying to remember who's who.

Obviously the main characters are clear, but for example that scene with the whore and that guy, when they're talking about Tyrion.
    I totally forgot who they were...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Fantastic episode! Although can't say I'm liking just how open Renly/Loras thing is. Much preferred the books' hidden references, but then again was it really that well hidden?
    Rainbow Guard!!! FFS

Loving Jerome as Bronn, wasn't expecting much but pleasantly surprised!

Also anyone not really enjoying the Dothraki scenes. I'm kind of in agreement. When reading the books I used to speed through these scenes as I just felt Westeros much more interesting. However they get much better and in most ways I prefer them now.

Finally just as an FYI the cousins are apparently getting episode 7 available online through HBO straight after ep 6 next week. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think the breast feeding was kept in to emphasize the paranoia/madness of Lysa Arryn. She will not part with her son who will never be capable of ruling. And trying to get through to her using logic and reason will not work.

The closeness of Loras and Renly was often referred to in the books but I don't think it was stated that they were lovers, they just preferred their own company than anyone else.

Bronn is a great character, utterly ruthless and does anything for money. In the books my favourite sections were those with Tyrion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am really going to have to rewatch every episode again, as to be perfectly honest, while enjoying the show immensely, I have not a frigging clue as to what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Great episode
    But the more this goes on the more lost I'm getting

I understand the main characters of course

But I hadn't a clue about that shaving scene and who they are

Bought the book in Easons yesterday so I'll try to catch up by next week

For those of you struggling with the character overload this is a good site that tracks the episodes:

http://hauteslides.com/2011/05/game-of-thrones-infographic-illustrated-guide-to-houses-and-character-relationships/

Think its been posted here before but anywho...

There's another one, a bit more limited but with pictures from the characters to make it easier.

Made me recognize who the guy in red was in the dungeon :)

yeah the creator mentions it in her reply to a comment about the lack of pictures

http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-character-guide-infographic-mcrid-111205/

That's the one, sure made a lot of stuff clear.
    But I don't yet understand the importance of those scenes involving Theon Greyjoy. Yeah, so he whores around, and... ?

But it's not completely right, Robert's 3 kids for example (Spoiler I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Loving it so much, think last nights episode was the best yet.
    The scene between the Queen and Robert, although not in the books, was fantastic.
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That's the one, sure made a lot of stuff clear.
    But I don't yet understand the importance of those scenes involving Theon Greyjoy. Yeah, so he whores around, and... ?
    They're trying to build his character up. How being a ward of the Starks has affected his life, what kind of person he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Loras Tyrell and Renly Baratheon. And Loras Tyrell looks like a total weed.
    That came out of left field for me!

Me too....I thought the producers were taking liberties...but apparently the hints are there for all to see (Note: link contains spoilers)

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchives/faq/lorasrenly.html

Still, the guy playing Loras does not have the build of a knight and could not possibly wield a broadsword, nevermind wear plate armour

Seems alot of you have read the books....i feel like a noob :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Seems alot of you have read the books....i feel like a noob :(

Well buy it and read it then. I'm half-way through the second book and I only started the first one shortly after episode 3. Fantastic reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

gutted by the death of jorey - he could have been a contender, hopefully he will return in ghost form or as a white walker with a conscirnce

what an episode that, all sorts going on

donfers wrote: »
    gutted by the death of joffrey - he could have been a contender, hopefully he will return in ghost form or as a white walker with a conscirnce

You mean Jory right? A lot of people might think that was a spoiler :D. Don't worry though Joffrey's alive and kicking although still a little gimp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

s.welstead wrote: »
    You mean Jory right? A lot of people might think that was a spoiler :D. Don't worry though Joffrey's alive and kicking although still a little gimp.

duly edited, getting confused with names

on that note, the gay yonger brother renly said he was fourth in line to the throne, who is ahead of him? stannis and joffrey (have we seen these two yet?) and who else?

on that note, the gay yonger brother renly said he was fourth in line to the throne, who is ahead of him? stannis and joffrey (have we seen these two yet?) and who else?

Joffrey is the Kings' eldest son. He was the douche attacked by Arya's direwolf. There's also a younger son, Tommen. Only scene I can remember him was the breakfast scene at Winterfell with Tyrion and the rest of the Lannisters.
    Stannis you haven't seen yet, he's not in the first series at all. Hasn't even been cast yet.

So succession is Joffrey, Tommen, Stannis and then Renly. Although the King is still alive ya know! So I guess Renly should be saying he's 5th in line as the current King counts right???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Robert has 2 sons (wink wink!) so the line of succesion is Joffrey, Tommen, Stannis, then Renly. (Stannis being the elder Baratheon brother)

In Westeros only a male can hold the throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Joffrey's younger brother Tommen I'd imagine .

• Advertisement

gutted by the death of jorey - he could have been a contender, hopefully he will return in ghost form or as a white walker with a conscirnce

WTF? :mad: - are you saying White Walkers are ubdead or ghost?....duh! SPOILER ALERT! :(

Ratings rise...third week in a row: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/17/game-of-thrones-ratings-climb/

Advertisement