Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

That bathtub scene was 9 minutes long!....who was the bird?
    Not one mention of the three eyed cow, oh..ahem....crow!

I'm sure I recognise her from something, what's her name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven't read the books, but can we expect Charles Dance's character to show up soon? IMDB originally said he was in all 10 episodes and every week they reduce it by one, so they obviously haven't a clue.

I want to see Dance doing some serious scenery-chewing, dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

It'll be a couple of episodes before Tywin Lannister makes an appearance I'd wager! Well cast though methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 miniPhil

Loving the show so far
    was that Chris from skins I spied in the last episode? :O
    . Tyrion is, without a doubt, the best character in the show and one of my favorites ever.

1303806870684.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Minor point, but The Mountain??????
    In the book he is nearly 8 feet tall and weighs 30 stone, in this show he is unremarkable in every way.....obviously such a massive man does not exist, they could still have done better

7' tall and 320 lbs is hardly bag-o-bones territory though is it? Conan Stevens is the man's name http://www.conanstevens.com/ - it wasn't easy from the jousting scene in E4 to get a good impression of his overall size, but he did cut rather an imposing figure on his warhorse compared to his opponent.

Peter Mayhew (who played Chewbacca) is 7'3" but he's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Looking forward to E5 where we should see a lot more of the jousting tourney.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I think Hodor was really, really tall also in the book (and reasonably well tall in the programme), but not with loads of muscle like the Mountain.

It probably is hard to find people who are both freakishly tall AND really bulky/strong, it's one or the other. People who are that tall usually have circulation and joint problems and probably muscle problems also, it's more a case of hormones gone out of balance than being "naturally" over 7 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Think it's been a good four episodes but I can't help thinking the show takes a dip in quality every time it goes to the Dothrakian country. It tends to look very Xena-esque. The Dothrakian's ride around half naked in the Irish countryside and it looks cloudy and freezing. Very unrealistic looking.

The performances are patchy. Some excellent, some terrible. King Robert is woeful. Think Ned's wife was poor enough casting too. Obviously Thyrion, Jon Snow, Arya are great. I also happen to think Lena Headley is being harshly judged here. Think she plays Cersei as a real Ice Maiden. I would love for Bran's character to become a bit more developed. Think the actor is really good and the character has amazing potential.

Think it's been a good four episodes but I can't help thinking the show takes a dip in quality every time it goes to the Dothrakian country. It tends to look very Xena-esque. The Dothrakian's ride around half naked in the Irish countryside and it looks cloudy and freezing. Very unrealistic looking.

Xena-esque is good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had been racknig my brains out because I recognised the bathtub girl from somewhere else; some other TV show or movie. Figured out who she was & a quick IMDB later revealed her only previous acting role was Hollyoaks :/

I thought it was Jodi Albert as well....anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I thought it was Jodi Albert as well....anyone confirm?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1861467/

Roxanne McKee apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 King Kenny

The performances are patchy. Some excellent, some terrible. King Robert is woeful. Think Ned's wife was poor enough casting too. Obviously Thyrion, Jon Snow, Arya are great. I also happen to think Lena Headley is being harshly judged here. Think she plays Cersei as a real Ice Maiden. I would love for Bran's character to become a bit more developed. Think the actor is really good and the character has amazing potential.

If i'm not mistaken I think these parts are filmed in Malta and I think theyre great!

King Kenny wrote: »
    If i'm not mistaken I think these parts are filmed in Malta and I think theyre great!

Definitely did not look cold anyway. Also King Robert was great in the first two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I enjoy the Dothraki scenes too actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Only caught this show last week. Fantastic so far. Think I might pick up the book today.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Definitely did not look cold anyway. Also King Robert was great in the first two episodes.

In the fourth episode, they're travelling through the mountains and it definitely looks like they're underdressed for the trip!.

I think King Robert is the hammiest actor there. Maybe it's the character's writing but he's always talking about past glories and other conquests. His little picnic with Sean Bean in the 1st/2nd ep. was woeful. He talks about two girls they had in their youth (This man seems to have 4/5 girls a night and I'd doubt he'd care about nor remember 2 specifically) so that the director can very clumsily tell us how Jon Snowe came to live with the Starks.

I know that I'm going against the grain here but I think the actor is playing him as a drunken letch when the character is much more nuanced. Thanks to his eternal bragging, we know he was a great warrior in the past but there is not even a glimmer in him to show us why Ned respects him rather than think him an idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the character of the king is not at all nuanced.
    he is pretty much exactly as he appears.

I think King Robert is the hammiest actor there. Maybe it's the character's writing but he's always talking about past glories and other conquests.

Maybe? The actor doesn't make up what he's going to say himself except perhaps in some cases for minor deviations from his script. What the character is generally talking about has nothing to do with the acting or actor.
    His little picnic with Sean Bean in the 1st/2nd ep. was woeful.

Disagree.
    He talks about two girls they had in their youth (This man seems to have 4/5 girls a night and I'd doubt he'd care about nor remember 2 specifically)

I don't think it says 4/5 girls a night anywhere, maybe now that he is king he does.

EVEN IF he had 4/5 girls a night back then at any point, the 2 specifically were regular girls he had. In fact I thought slightly the exact opposite to you.... you would think he would remember which of the wenches was his and which was Ned's. My conclusion was that this king was forgetful also and his memory wasn't what it used to be, I'm sorry if this also was lost on you.
    so that the director can very clumsily tell us how Jon Snowe came to live with the Starks.

Disagree. I really liked that scene.
    I know that I'm going against the grain here but I think the actor is playing him as a drunken letch when the character is much more nuanced. Thanks to his eternal bragging, we know he was a great warrior in the past but there is not even a glimmer in him to show us why Ned respects him rather than think him an idiot.

Not even a glimmer? He was a great warrior as you say, courageous, honourable, he must have made some good decisions to become king. He knew Ned growing up, he was good friends with him and liked him a lot so obviously doesn't think him an "idiot", what do you want... us to see first hand him making decisions like King Solomon? The fact that Ned respects him is meant to tell us about Robert's character. It's made really clear in the book that Robert isn't the same King he used to be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

........ He was a great warrior as you say, courageous, honourable, he must have made some good decisions to become king. ..............It's made really clear in the book that Robert isn't the same King he used to be.
    The King Robert we see is a blade who has become blunted through lack of use.

He is a warrior king, not suited to sitting in Kings Landing surrounded by his wife's family and toadying lords who never held a blade. (The chat to Barristan and Jamie reinforces this) He misses his youth with Ned on the campaign. I think the show is giving the impression that he is despairing and losing himself in drink and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Exactly, he's not a leader suited for politics, he gets bored in court and turns to whoring and feasting to entertain himself.

Apparently the next episode is a fantastic one, but with more deviations from the book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Kaizer Soza I treally think your missing the whole point of the King's character traits. He longs for the past, he longs for days of yonder when he didn't have to sit on a Throne and listen to daily wrangles over money and taxes, he longs for the fields and the glory of bedding women and roaming the world looking for trouble and enjoying this lifestyle!! Not the spent force of a man and King he is now, he lost his mojo over 2 women first Ned's sister's death then being shacked up with the merciless and barren Cersei. I'm liking this version of Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wow
    kid sucking on a boob....kinda wierd

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Best episode so far - really picked up the pace! Lots of great moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I think the show suffers slightly with all the seediness. Though I guess there's not much that can be done considering how the source material is apparently rife with it.

Anyway, I'm enjoying where it's going atm. Came across some major spoilers online though. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Loras Tyrell and Renly Baratheon. And Loras Tyrell looks like a total weed.
    That came out of left field for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

those guys the eyrie are totally screwed it must be said:D, when they were on about how impenatrable it was, and it did look impressive, right untill you saw the young lord sucking on his widowed mothers tit, that place if ripe for the taking,

another excellent episode, i cant wait to see what happens now with the lannisters and starks going at it, i hope tyrion doesnt get killed, i really like him, the fight was great at the end, though i was a bit surprised that stark got a spear through his leg,

i wonder will the king be convinced not to kill daeneyrs child, or if he can kill the child at all, ordering it and making it happen are totally different things,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Definitely best episode so far, probably helped that there was no scenes with the Dothraki.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

That was a surprise for me too! Sure, in the books Renly is quite flamboyant, and Ser Loras is a knight, who swore an oath never to marry, and both were close, but I never once thought they were lovers. Was that some nuance I missed or perhaps more likely added in to the script for diversity?

Either way, it somehow fits.

I also very much enjoyed the exchange between Littlefinger and Varys in the throne room. For some reason I can't adequately explain I have a bit of a soft spot for the Spider.

The Eyrie scenes with Lysa and her "baby" disturbed me when I read them, and equally so when I saw them on-screen. It does go a long way toward showing the depths of her madness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Loras looked to scrawny, he's supposed to be a bit effeminate but he's also received a knights training since he has five and is supposed to be one of the most skilled fighters in the Kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

It's hinted at, but never openly said.

Awesome episode.

Advertisement