Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I was referring to UCC elections! :p

Can be applicable here. :pac:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Can be applicable here. :pac:

Nah, no real power involved @ student level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Wooooooooooo!!!! Last assignment handed in, last lecture attented, third year offiically finished!:D

But tests starting in three weeks :(.

Btw, Elec Eng open day today, if anyone is interested in seeing some interesting projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 UCC Philosoph

This Monday, March 14th the Philosoph are hosting a debate on foreign aid.

The motion is That This House Believes Foreign Aid has Failed the Developing World. Guest speakers will be proposing and opposing the motion before it is opened to the floor. There will then be an opportunity for the audience to express their opinions and contribute to the debate. If you have an interest in international development or relations do come along. Hear the experts, listen to your peers and share your thoughts.

As we experience the worst financial disaster in the history of our state we must take stock of where we spend our money. Are we helping the Developing World or have we been throwing money at it to satisfy our conscience and enable us to turn a blind eye to their plight? If aid is not having an impact can we still afford to satisfy our conscience in this way or can that aid be rechanneled elsewhere? Join us as we attempt to answer these questions and more this Monday at 19.30 in Kane G19, UCC Main Campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Just saw that they're after adding the exam venues onto my time table. I'm delighted because I'm in the Kampus Kitchen for most of it. Does anyone know where exactly the location 'CIT' is though? Do I have to go out to Bishopstown or something? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Crosswalk wrote: »
    Just saw that they're after adding the exam venues onto my time table. I'm delighted because I'm in the Kampus Kitchen for most of it. Does anyone know where exactly the location 'CIT' is though? Do I have to go out to Bishopstown or something? :confused:

Yep, some exams are in CIT because of the Mardyke renovations

I was supposed to have a final year presentation today but instead got a text 15 minutes before the class saying presentation was cancelled because lecturer forgot.:mad: If the shoe was on the other foot the student would be failed no questions asked.

I'd complain but i'm afraid it will come back to bite me on the ass if i did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Does anyone know off the top of their head what charlotte hollands office hours are?

Does anyone know off the top of their head what charlotte hollands office hours are?

This is strictly off the top of my head. 9-1 and then half two or so in 'till 4 or 5. You could zip an email to her, she's usually quick replying.

This is strictly off the top of my head. 9-1 and then half two or so in 'till 4 or 5. You could zip an email to her, she's usually quick replying.

I was asking because I was about to get on the bus and didnt know whether i should bother getting off on college road and walking the rest of the way back home. I chanced it anyway and she was there so you must have been fairly right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

One of our lecturers told us today that she'd deduct marks from us in the exam for bad handwriting. Is that even allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Don't think they can deduct marks for bad handwriting but all they have to say is if they couldn't read what you wrote they cant give you marks for it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Don't think they can deduct marks for bad handwriting but all they have to say is if they couldn't read what you wrote they cant give you marks for it.

I'd imagine that applies across the board - can't read it can't give marks

Byron85 wrote: »
    One of our lecturers told us today that she'd deduct marks from us in the exam for bad handwriting. Is that even allowed?

When I first read I thought no. Our lecturers stressed to us to write 'properly'. Although they haven't said it to us in 3rd year. Someone's writing style will have been their's for years, changing it could ruin their flow, could lead to bad essays, that lecturer's remarks are pretty unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Okay, so I'm doing english and geography in Arts

I'm thinking of doing an MA in old english

With the minimum requirement being a 2.2, does that include all my results put together, the english and the geography, or just the english? I'm majoring in english, dunno if this has any impact on it.

She definitely said "for bad handwriting". Also said she'd deduct marks for bad grammar and for spelling errors. I think I may bring it up with the class rep or the SU education officer. I'm not entirely sure though...

The poor grammar I can understand, it's university after all.

The poor grammar I can understand, it's university after all.

True enough but i've had other lecturers say not to worry about it. It's the handwriting thing that i'm annoyed about. It's pretty ridiculous in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blue Smarties

Hey ,
    Anyone know where the irish orals will be held on monday the 28th march ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Freedom!!!!

Sweet, sweet freedom!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I know its a bit late now to bring it up but the lack of "mixed drinks" meetups this year was dreadful :P

Yeah, was kinda left go - last year we had a few people pushing it, but it just fizzled out, can try again next year maybe?

Anyone here ever use a plagiarism detector they could recommend? Want to check my research project before submitting it via Turnitin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

deisedude wrote: »
    Anyone here ever use a plagiarism detector they could recommend? Want to check my research project before submitting it via Turnitin

http://www.neilstoolbox.com/plagiarism-tester/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

deisedude wrote: »

You can re-submit via turnitin, so I normally use that to check my work for plagiarism, using the originality report, then re-submit if I need to make any changes. Couldn't find any good free plagiarism detectors. It (apparently) takes another 24 hours for a new originality report for any re-submissions, but its a handy feature.

lindtee wrote: »
    You can re-submit via turnitin, so I normally use that to check my work for plagiarism, using the originality report, then re-submit if I need to make any changes. Couldn't find any good free plagiarism detectors. It (apparently) takes another 24 hours for a new originality report for any re-submissions, but its a handy feature.

Submitted it now, all grand. In fact got a freakishly low percentage!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Just thought I'd share something nice that happened to me on campus today. Was on Q+1 and went into the bathroom. But I never noticed that it was out of toilet paper. I look up and there is some hanging off the back of the door! Really cheered me up that people can be nice in these stressful times! :D

And good luck with the exams everyone! Deep calming breaths...

I forgot to mention: serious kudos to the person who handed up my USB key about two weeks ago to the front desk of the library. The key had a huge amount of work on it and I'm forever grateful.

Also, what are folks making of the 'UCC shiftin'' page? I find it pretty stupid, petulant and childlike.

Seems to be a nationwide phenomenon. You just know someone will take it too far and there'll be war. Wholl give me odds itll be Joe Duffy material by Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

UCC seems tame to some of the others, for example check out UCD's pic uploaded in the last hour or so, it is crazy!!

Advertisement