Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

i bought a purebred limousin bull and he was a twin to female .he gave plenty of calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

i bought a purebred limousin bull and he was a twin to female .he gave plenty of calves.

over 90% affected, you got the 1 in 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

funny man wrote: »
    Sorry johngalway but i think we fcuked up you're thread, but i couldn't resist sharing the condition of freemartinism; By Laurie Ann Lyon, Cow Calf Corner, Oklahoma Coopereative Extension Service. Freemartinism is recognized as one of the most severe forms of sexual abnormality among cattle.

07-05-10Some.gif This condition causes infertility in the female cattle born twin to a male. When a heifer twin shares the uterus with a bull fetus, they also share the placental membranes connecting the fetuses with the dam.
    07-05-10FreeMartin.jpg
    Image Reprinted from http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rfoster/repropath/flfgpics.htm
    Robert A. Foster
    Department of Pathobiology
    Ontario Veterinary College
    University of Guelph

A joining of the placental membranes occurs at about the fortieth day of pregnancy, and thereafter, the fluids of the two fetuses are mixed. This causes exchange of blood and antigens carrying characteristics that are unique to each heifers and bulls. When these antigens mix, they affect each other in a way that causes each to develop with some characteristics of the other sex.

Although the male twin in this case is only affected by reduced fertility, in over ninety percent of the cases, the female twin is completely infertile. Because of a transfer of hormones or a transfer of cells, the heifer's reproductive tract is severely underdeveloped and sometimes even contains some elements of a bull's reproductive tract. A freemartin is genetically female, but has many characteristics of a male. The ovaries of the freemartin do not develop correctly, and they remain very small. Also, the ovaries of a freemartin do not produce the hormones necessary to induce the behavioral signs of heat. The external vulvar region can range from a very normal looking female to a female that appears to be male. Usually, the vulva is normal except that in some animals an enlarged clitoris and large tufts of vulvar hair exist. Freemartinism cannot be prevented; however, it can be diagnosed in a number of ways ranging from simple examination of the placental membranes to chromosomal evaluation. The cattleman can predict the reproductive value of this heifer calf at birth and save the feed and development costs if he is aware of the high probability of freemartinism. In some cases, there are no symptoms of freemartinism because the male twin may have been aborted at an earlier stage of gestation.

Estimates of the percentage of natural beef cattle births that produce twins vary. One estimate (Gilmore) puts the percentage at about .5% or 1 in every 200 births. Approximately one-half of the sets of twins should contain both a bull and a heifer calf.
    May 2007

Ah I didn't do too bad off the top of my head. I must have been awake they days I was being taught genetics!:)
    I even cracked open a can of stout at the thought of it.

Ah funny man, you're still missing the point.
    The 90% only refers to heifers being infertile. The bull calf (twin to a heifer) may exhibit reduced fertility, but I'd say a huge amount of breeding bulls out there are not at 100% anyway. Even a bull operating at 70/80% will get all the calves most farmers want.

Before Johngalway loses all reason, I'll attempt to get back on track after all my messing!

Here's a pic to remind us what grassland looks like..........Won't be long now 'till everywhere greens up! (Hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

100_0781.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bizzum wrote: »
    Before Johngalway loses all reason, I'll attempt to get back on track after all my messing!

Here's a pic to remind us what grassland looks like..........Won't be long now 'till everywhere greens up! (Hopefully)

I'd nearly eat a feed of that myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we have sold many a stock bull that where twin to females and never got one back ... yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bizzum wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I'm saying!
    I refer to infertility not reduced fertility. Thats a minefield I'd swiftly avoid!

Re: The proof of a bull getting all 'Girly' as a result of an in utero experience, I have not seen. But it sounds interesting. Good topic for discussion of a saturday night with a few pints, particularly as the OH is a twin to a male!

Good man Bizzum,

You could knock some crack out of that alright, if it was me anyway id have the GF half convinced by the end of the night that i could see an adams apple developing.. drive her cracked altogether.

I dehorned set of twin yearlings today piedmontese X Lim and heifer had bigger thicker and longer horns by a long shot than an uncastrated male twin think she was running on male hormones or what?!!:D

Nom,nom,nom,nom,nom....

:pac:

Not bad for a rock farmer with bad land, grass coming along nicely the past two days. Sheep better hurry up and start dropping lambs or it's going to outgrow them :eek:

grass.jpg

• Advertisement

First lambs born today :D Ewe & ram lamb. Ewe has sign of plenty of milk, and although they seem a little deflated they had sucked and looked much better an hour later - when I had colostrum at the ready :pac: Two squirts of Spectam each, dipped navels, numbered lambs and ewe and gave ewe a dose of Grovite.

Image0287.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

johngalway wrote: »
    First lambs born today :D Ewe & ram lamb. Ewe has sign of plenty of milk, and although they seem a little deflated they had sucked and looked much better an hour later - when I had colostrum at the ready :pac: Two squirts of Spectam each, dipped navels, numbered lambs and ewe and gave ewe a dose of Grovite.

Image0287.jpg

is someone burning bushes in the background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Image0287.jpg

What's that smoke in the distant background?
    Would it be your aul fella, brewing a bit of potteen:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Tora Bora wrote: »
    What's that smoke in the distant background?
    Would it be your aul fella, brewing a bit of potteen:D

great minds and all that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Good man John - best o luck with em. Now the fun starts ha... Do you have many to lamb?

Smoke is from the neighbour, haven't a notion what he's at to be honest, wouldn't say it's bushes as it seems to be in the yard.

Got about 37 more to go, miniature farmer that I am :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Calf yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

johnpawl wrote: »
    Calf yesterday

Jasus thats a big calf John. Great coat of hair on him aswell. What bull is he out of - Mogador?

Calf yesterday

Smashing outfit. Did she calve unassisted?

Ya completely unassisted, calf up and sucking within 15 mins, I was happy with that. Cow isnt much to look at but she always throws a good calf! Calf off a pedigree stock bull..

• Advertisement

might as well post one more!:)

Two first calved heifers from a few years back. Both with Landais (BA) heifer calves at foot. Both these calves are now cows. Both breed very close to show standard, maybe even show standard!
    Must post a recent pic when they go to grass.

You've some classy animals there! Land looks good too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cows123

one of my oldest calves. not very mucly but a nice calf none the less.COVER-1301862167SL271568.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cows123

hes not as long as in the picture by the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

might as well post one more!:)

Hi Johnpawl. Nice calves lad. Fair play

Those mothers have plenty of milk. Are they black limousins out of Fr ?? Seem a lovely tidy cow that throw a smashing calf.

I find some of our charolais are as big as elephants and eat as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

cows123 wrote: »
    hes not as long as in the picture by the way:D

Hes a fair calf all da same if we could only get em all that length wouldnt it be mighty. I have a black cow that ive always used a Ch on but last year i put a BB to her after listening to lads saying the blacks with a blue are meant to produce great colour in the calf, Now i wouldnt be sending back the calf but i thought there might be more signs of BB in him. He has a great shoulder and back though.

p1000569.th.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

Our bull is a twin to a heifer no problems either:D
    Its only de heifer whos affected as far as i know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

alderdeer wrote: »
    Hes a fair calf all da same if we could only get em all that length wouldnt it be mighty. I have a black cow that ive always used a Ch on but last year i put a BB to her after listening to lads saying the blacks with a blue are meant to produce great colour in the calf, Now i wouldnt be sending back the calf but i thought there might be more signs of BB in him. He has a great shoulder and back though.

p1000569.th.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A fine looking calf. The colour won't matter if he has the muscle when you're selling him.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi Johnpawl. Nice calves lad. Fair play

Those mothers have plenty of milk. Are they black limousins out of Fr ?? Seem a lovely tidy cow that throw a smashing calf.

I find some of our charolais are as big as elephants and eat as much!

Bought her as a calf off a neighbour who is a dairy farmer. He used to experiment with AI of different breeds on some of his repeats. I bought 2 as calves off him, the one in the pics is AAx off a friesan cow on her card, and another which is PIX off a friesan cow. That cow in the pics is the poorest looking cow we have, but she always throws a fine calf that thrives well and produces the goods every year, far better than some of our big cows.I reckon you couldnt give her away at the mart! The piemontese cross should calf in next few days and I'm hoping for a decent calf, she had cracking calves last 2 years..I'm thinking of Putting AI sirex on both of them his year to see what they'll produce...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement