Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The problem with following the path shown in that first picture is this:

People in Ireland seem to think that you can use the right hand lane to take the second exit on a roundabout (you can't unless the left lane is left turn only or unless directed to do so by a Garda), so if some clever clogs in a white van decides he's going to skip the line of traffic, who are correctly in the right hand lane to take the third exit, by going in the left lane to take that third exit, he may end up crashing in to a person who is using the right hand lane to take the second exit. It would be interesting to see who would be considered at fault by the insurance company.

The rules of the road book give diagrams only showing 4 exit roundabouts and that's half the problem.

The rule is that you use the left hand lane for exit one and two, and the right hand lane for subsequent exits. (Exceptions are where lanes are arrowed, or when a lane is closed, or when directed to use an alternate lane by a Garda).

As the Meerkat says: "SIMPLES!"

T

I get the impression that you haven't seen this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I get the impression that you haven't seen this thread.

I hadn't - interesting reply from the RSA there. I had actually sent an email to the RSA on Friday, so it'll be interesting to see the reply... Oh well, the N6 exit on the original pic is past 1 o'clock so it should be right lane anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Going to work I travel from the Headford road go past the roundabout then onto bridge. I do the reverse coming back from work. (working 9am till 6pm)

The correct way to approach the bridge when coming up to the roundabout is to be either in the middle lane or the right lane (Thats 2 out of 3 lanes folks). I find it always best to get into the middle lane as it always moves faster. [side note - I can't understand why someone would be the middle lane and indicate into the right lane when its clearly going slower - Perhaps they don't know the road].

Anyway I'm genuinely shocked at the number of cars that go into the left lane before the round about and then muscle their way into the next lane to get onto the bridge. (As per someone else's post I'm a sucker) I have to let them in because I don't want to cause an accident... besides they are slightly ahead an veering onto my lane. Sometimes I think I shouldn't let them in, but what if they have road rage and go mental? I don't want to deal with that sh1t, as I have done before.

Coming back from the bridge going towards the Headford road. Most people correctly stay in the left lane. This is where most of the traffic is. The left lane then splits into two lanes at the end of the bridge. What should people do? People in a hurry tend to stay on the right up until the last min and hope to squeeze into the middle lane before the roundabout. They have a good chance to do this. Others muscle their way in. Others indicate and wait to go in holding up the traffic behind them. Others will stay in that lane and go right around the roundabout completely and then exit - causing more traffic on the roundabout.
    I don't have a solution, but it just ticks me off.

Two other stupid things I notice on my route is that the bridge has cycle lanes painted onto it. A bike can only go in one direction on that bridge. Thats just stupid. They should be allowed go both and they tend to which is fine. But why paint the bloody thing? The other stupid thing is that there is a way for people to go from the bridge onto the Dyke road. Why don't they have an opening there to let people on bikes use without coming off the bikes and pulling them over? I've written in about that last point - but never getting a real answer.

[/My Rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I hadn't - interesting reply from the RSA there. I had actually sent an email to the RSA on Friday, so it'll be interesting to see the reply... Oh well, the N6 exit on the original pic is past 1 o'clock so it should be right lane anyway.

Is it not better to know why you should be in what lane rather than thinking of clocks when coming to the roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since we already have a discussion on RB and traffic I'll merge you thread in with that Sniipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

- There are useful rules of thumb based on clock faces and numbers of exits. These are not enshrined in law, and the Rules of the Road handbook is ambiguous on the subject.
    - You can use either set of guidelines to navigate roundabouts safely and confidently, even on roundabouts you're not familiar with.
    - In some cases, you might cause an unnecessary delay, but I don't mind - since safety is way more important to me than speed.

Regarding the original post, I frequently do exactly as depicted in the opening post. In my experience, there is often a long queue in the right-hand lane, and no queue in the left lane.
    In that case, it is safe to use either lane, but choosing the right-hand lane contributes to delays for those coming from Bodkin r'about, using the right-hand lane to get to the 3rd, 4th or 5th exit.

One thing I hadn't considered though:
    Very frustrating for others on the roundabout and those trying to get on to it from the Headford road.

Can anyone explain why this is frustrating for people coming from the Headford road (I presume a_bhicycle meant inbound)? That is a route I very rarely take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

yaledo wrote: »
    - There are useful rules of thumb based on clock faces and numbers of exits. These are not enshrined in law, and the Rules of the Road handbook is ambiguous on the subject.
    - You can use either set of guidelines to navigate roundabouts safely and confidently, even on roundabouts you're not familiar with.
    - In some cases, you might cause an unnecessary delay, but I don't mind - since safety is way more important to me than speed.

These "rules of thumb" happen to coincide on the many standard 4-arm cruciform roundabouts.

They are not compatible, and hence lead to confusion and conflict, on non-standard roundabouts. Discussed at length in this thread.

The RoTR should not leave such room for doubt. That's unnecessary, unhelpful and in fact downright dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Is it not better to know why you should be in what lane rather than thinking of clocks when coming to the roundabout?

Well if you think of a clock position it should help you decide which lane you should be in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Good news everyone, the council is going to put more traffic lights on roundabouts.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/17725-council-install-traffic-lights-more-roundabouts
    Or is it replacing roundabouts with junctions?
    The article is a little unclear, the headline says more lights on roundabouts but the article says upgrading to signalised junctions, what ever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The one thing that amazes me is the number of people who come off the bridge heading towards Dunnes and they are in the clearly marked left lane, when lights go green they move off then cross the lanes to head up the Sean Mulvoy road, the number of near misses that I have had there is unreal can they not see the arrows on the road. In an accident they would be totally in the wrong no excuses. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The one thing that amazes me is the number of people who come off the bridge heading towards Dunnes and they are in the clearly marked left lane, when lights go green they move off then cross the lanes to head up the Sean Mulvoy road, the number of near misses that I have had there is unreal can they not see the arrows on the road. In an accident they would be totally in the wrong no excuses. :mad:

I could be wrong here but if you were not a 'local' then I dont think it is clearly marked at all. If your going straight on you would normally expect to be in the left lane.
    The road over the Quincentennial bridge is a busy one and I think that road markings only is an inadequate way of indicating which lane you should be in as lane markings can be very easily missed in heavy traffic.
    What is need is decent roadside signage

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Webbs wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but if you were not a 'local' then I dont think it is clearly marked at all. If your going straight on you would normally expect to be in the left lane.
    The road over the Quincentennial bridge is a busy one and I think that road markings only is an inadequate way of indicating which lane you should be in as lane markings can be very easily missed in heavy traffic.
    What is need is decent roadside signage
    Yay for decent roadside signage, boo if they stick the sign poles in the cycle lanes (as usual)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

yay for roadsigns (and I seont a lot more time actually looking at the recently, since reading so much about it here)!

Also, the roadsign clears up the Terryland roundabout (going up from Tesco direction towards the Bothar an Tradbh (still can't sell it) dilemma quite nicely:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.285492,-9.045997&spn=0,0.009602&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.285411,-9.046025&panoid=TEt7JhfYfH-x-jnUt19aiA&cbp=12,17.3,,0,12.06

(hope the link works).

You quite clearly should be in the right lane. The N84 is considered 'straight' in this case, and everything else is 'turning right'. So right hand lane for turning right.

Simples.

Still doesn't help with roundabouts where there is no signage, but it seems that if you follow the signs if they exist, you can't go too wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Petty a lot of people can't read sign posts and road markings that tell them what lane to take. If your coming out from the city, at the roundabout after the racecourse, it has a left turn only on the left lane for Monivea/Parkmore and the right lane is for the N6. You see a lot of people on the left lane and pass the exit for Monivea and head out the N6.
    I nearly hit a woman that thought it was a good idea to go the whole way around to the exit for Dunnes in Briarhill from the left lane. When I blew the horn at her she looked at me as if I was in the wrong and not an indicator in sight!!! Madness really.

The RSA need to have one rule only regarding roundabouts of all descriptions and advertise it. When I was learning the ROTR had 2 examples of how to use a roundabout. The first was a diagram of a standard 4 arm roundabout and the captions under it saying use the left lane if turning left, Use the left lane if going straight on, use the right lane if turning right. You can use the right lane to go straight on if there are 2 lanes exiting. The second example had no diagram, just a written example and was done by the exit number you were taking. 1st exit left lane, 2nd exit left lane or right lane if there are 2 lanes exiting, third and subsequent exits right lane. I asked my driving instructor what was the right way to negotiate a roundabout and he told me before 12 o clock left lane, after 12 o clock right lane. I thought he was saying to be in the left lane in the morning and right lane in the afternoon:D. At the end of the day there needs to be one rule. If you have 3-4 different rules then you will have accidents as one person might be right in their thinking and the other might be right in the way they are thinking as a lot of roundabouts are not standard anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

And here is the answer!!!

This is the final post in the roundabout thread in the motors section (locked now) It gives a detailed explanation on how to navigate a roundabout; and it was written by the communications manager of the RSA.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70800115&postcount=706

I guess all those who said laft land earlier in the thread will have to change their ways;)

The OP vindicated in the end :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

He still doesn't address how a tractor unit and trailer gets around that roundabout safely while staying in the right hand lane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Average-Ro wrote: »
    And here is the answer!!!

This is the final post in the roundabout thread in the motors section (locked now) It gives a detailed explanation on how to navigate a roundabout; and it was written by the communications manager of the RSA.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70800115&postcount=706

I guess all those who said laft land earlier in the thread will have to change their ways;)

Post #4 and #9. You'd almost feel sorry for the posters and thankers if they weren't so arrogant and wrong.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70360436&postcount=4
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70360527&postcount=9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

BornToBe? wrote: »
    No, it's not,

nothing worse than bad drivers giving out to people doing the right thing.
    When traveling straight (I would consider that exist to be within the "straight ahead" parameters) stay in the Left lane, unless road markings say other wise.
    and now before you have a hissy fit:

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

But, if you do feel strongly about this, continue to do what you do and when you crash or cause a crash, a nice judge will educate you and you'll have to pay for the privllage.

Thanks

Also this guy is wrong. Be we already knew this anyway.

Post #4 and #9. You'd almost feel sorry for the posters and thankers if they weren't so arrogant and wrong.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70360436&postcount=4
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70360527&postcount=9

I know, I found the arrogence really annoying. I always said if I found out that I was wrong and it was the left lane, I'd change my ways. I wonder if they will:)

Also this guy is wrong. Be we already knew this anyway.

That I did, I was trying to convince him he was wrong a few pages back, but no avail.

• Advertisement

I know, I found the arrogence really annoying. I always said if I found out that I was wrong and it was the left lane, I'd change my ways. I wonder if they will:)

That I did, I was trying to convince him he was wrong a few pages back, but no avail.

Driving seems to be such a contest that it continues on the keyboard at home these days:D

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Driving seems to be such a contest that it continues on the keyboard at home these days:D

It does! I'll openly admit I get caught up in it quite easily. I should be able to count to 10 and step back from it:)

It does! I'll openly admit I get caught up in it quite easily. I should be able to count to 10 and step back from it:)

I know, its mad, i think we are all the same:D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

149316.jpg
    try this out :eek:

149316.jpg

They probably have to use minutes on the clockface for that one:rolleyes:

149316.jpg

Ahh l'arc de triomphe, it has rules that apply to only it.
    Traffic on that roundabout must give way to traffic coming on to it, although I hear it's more of a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I've never driven through it, but I have looked down on it from the Arc. It looks absolutely mental, most drivers seem to navigate it by chancing their arms and nipping into any gap they can find, and those tiny two-seater cars that are popular over there are constantly zipping in and out of the "lanes."

I took a terrible photo, I'll upload it if I ever find where it's stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, I'm happy that what I do on the RB is now endorsed by RSA.
    It's mad how every time there's a RB thread it gets so lengthy, you'd think all/most road users would have the same opinion.
    No wonders people have collisions :D

What are the odds a lot of people will ignore it and continue to use the exit number method; because "that's what (they've) always done"?

It's nice to have an official response from the RSA (especially for the people who were correct in the first place:D) but it won't make a blind bit of difference if people don't admit they were wrong and change their method of navigating a roundabout.

• Advertisement

What are the odds a lot of people will ignore it and continue to use the exit number method; because "that's what (they've) always done"?

It's nice to have an official response from the RSA (especially for the people who were correct in the first place:D) but it won't make a blind bit of difference if people don't admit they were wrong and change their method of navigating a roundabout.

No doubt that's what will happen, but the RSA need to get the message out there.
    They need to get some proper ads out and make it clearer in the rules of the road.

Advertisement