Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

W4D1 done this afternoon........couldn't run in the strong winds we are having so it was my first run on the threadmill. I must say it seems a bit easier on the threadmill. When I started I just knew I would be able to run the 5 mins x2, where previous weeks I felt it would be a real struggle, for me its building up the strength in the legs and strong legs give me a feeling that I can run for longer. Hoping to do rest of week outdoors...........I am sure I will find it tougher as I think I run faster when outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I've just done W3D2. Is it really bad to admit I plan my route in my head to go mainly downhill?:(

I find outdoors much easier than the treadmill- did that only one day and nearly passed out from the heat in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Wantobe wrote: »
    I've just done W3D2. Is it really bad to admit I plan my route in my head to go mainly downhill?:(

I find outdoors much easier than the treadmill- did that only one day and nearly passed out from the heat in the gym.

You're just trying to get a base, time in motion is the goal.

I hope the hills aren't steep as that could give you issues as you go on, try and keep on the level as much as you can to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I'm so happy to have found this thread! Just finished week 1 this morning after braving the elements at 7.30 - mind you i set it up so that the last couple of runs i had the wind behind me :D Didn't find it too bad but had bootcamp on the inbetween days so feeling the burn a bit today!

I've deleted week 1 from my phone in case i'm tempted not to move on to week 2 next week :) Reading all your posts though have given me great encouragement that i can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Anybody running in this wind! It's crazy! At some points I was running on the spot because the wind wouldn't let me go any further!

Anyway, anybody signing up for the Patricks weekend race in Dublin City Centre on the 20th March. Think I'll be making my much anticipated racing debut!

• Advertisement

leggit wrote: »
    Anybody running in this wind! It's crazy! At some points I was running on the spot because the wind wouldn't let me go any further!

Anyway, anybody signing up for the Patricks weekend race in Dublin City Centre on the 20th March. Think I'll be making my much anticipated racing debut!

Fair play, all training is good, into the wind is great. Good Luck with your race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Well at 31 and being a typical couch potato I have joined the Gym at the beginning of Jan and started the C25k this week, and have week one completed today.

I have to admit I was finding the 90 second walk was coming just in time and when it came to the end of it I was ready to run again, my fast walk is around 6.9kmph and the jog is around 10kmph. I am doing it on the thread mill.

I am doing it Monday, Wednesday, Friday and some light upper body weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Saturdays I am doing a of bit of bike/cross trainer and rowing and taking Sunday off.

Feeling great since it and I think the c25k has given me structure and goals and I am loving it.

Any 5k runs at the beginning of April?

W3D3 completed. Feeling good, bring on week 4 ( hope I didn't speak too soon)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Congrats to everyone....
    Just complete D1W3 in the rain! am delighted with myself... cant believe that in just two weeks i can now run for 3 minutes straight...

got my gait analysed today and i have slight pronation (have no idea how to spell that!) in left leg... so got shoes with gel supports.. only problem is i am friggin size 2.5!! so only one shoe in store, had to get a 3 coz i have a broad foot so not sure how that will work out... but i'll give em a go anyway... presume i need to break em in first (ie walk in them) before using them running!

have also signed up for operation transformation 5K .. think i am a bit mad but sure i will give it a go..!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Just back from the states today. Seriously jet lagged. Kept the program up and ran twice in gym. Finished week 3. No way was I running outside in minus 22 celcius:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

W5 d2 done and feeling great :) welcome back CeNedra minus 22 thats crazy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mollymom

Hi there, I had a baby 2 months ago and am 3 weeks into a programme to learn how to jog a 10k race. Im obviously starting with the couch25km programme.
    anyway, im well motivated ( baby weight stone and a half ) but my knee is hurting when i jog and i am getting shocking side stitches.
    now im not eating before i walk/jog, and i am really really trying to breathe from my belly and not my chest. But i dunno what im doing wrong.
    Its getting me down , as im not managing to complete the jogging parts due to stitches and a sore knee.

should i give up or what should i do??

<moved here mollymom, you'll get a better response from this thread-mod>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

I am no expert but it is hard to do anything strenous (if it is extremely new) after 2 months of giving birth. Perhaps you should speak to doctor/nurse before starting the programme and start with walking for 20/30 mins before even beginning c25k.
    A friend of mine did it started slowly 3/4 months after giving birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mollymom

maria, i always walked up to month 6 of the pregnancy when i got spd. i started walking again 2 weeks post birth ( no stitches and a good birth :D) so once i got back my 3 mile walking pace, i started the couch 25k. i thought i had been doing it nice and handy. dunno whats up with knee. maybe i need a trip to physio for that.
    but the stitches are unreal. I want to jog or walk a 10km race in my area easter weekend , so i have lots of time to train for it. but im wondering if im gonna achieve my goals.
    Im loving getting out and about, and i ran a 5km race in 2008 and loved it too.

well done to everyone here for getting out and about. its desperate organising the runs around days that the hair needs washing and straightening !!! hee hee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Maybe you just need to do week 3 a couple of time until you are ready to move on to week 4. . Or if it is still causing stiches move back to week 2 and do that until you are ready to move on.

And just run really slow (this is only way to get thru the runs). I am always saying it, but go so slow that you feel you are barely moving!

You have loads of time to do this and even if you have to walk some of 10K you will have lots of company there walking parts also I bet! You have a whole running career ahead of you so dont put yourself under too much pressure. Its a great programme and you will get there and beyond before you know it, and enjoy it!
    Be careful of SPD after effects tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

mollymom wrote: »
    Hi there, I had a baby 2 months ago and am 3 weeks into a programme to learn how to jog a 10k race. Im obviously starting with the couch25km programme.
    anyway, im well motivated ( baby weight stone and a half ) but my knee is hurting when i jog and i am getting shocking side stitches.
    now im not eating before i walk/jog, and i am really really trying to breathe from my belly and not my chest. But i dunno what im doing wrong.
    Its getting me down , as im not managing to complete the jogging parts due to stitches and a sore knee.

should i give up or what should i do??

<moved here mollymom, you'll get a better response from this thread-mod>

Honestly IMO you'd be crazy to start into something like this until at least 6 months after giving birth. I don't need to tell you to toll that pregnancy takes on the body and the recovery is slow. I would suggest you stick with walking for the mean time, have a chat with your doctor to see when a good time to start is. If you didn't run before you'll have a tough time getting into it this soon after giving birth.

oh, and congrats on the baby ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

I had spd on my second and all I can say is fair play. I was in no shape for running even 2 months after giving birth.

One of the side effects of spd that I had was a stitch like pain. If you are bf just make sure that you don't still have the condition as it does not go away immediately after birth. I presume though that you are certain you are over it?

Just make sure you don't push yourself too much. Babies can take it out of you and stressing over hitting a particular date for a 10k could cause a lot of stress in your life.

all that said, if you are ready, then go for it and best of luck. Congrats on the baby by the way!!!

Rorkimaru wrote: »
    Honestly IMO you'd be crazy to start into something like this until at least 6 months after giving birth. I don't need to tell you to toll that pregnancy takes on the body and the recovery is slow. I would suggest you stick with walking for the mean time, have a chat with your doctor to see when a good time to start is. If you didn't run before you'll have a tough time getting into it this soon after giving birth.

oh, and congrats on the baby ^_^

+1 on this, 9 months on and 9 months off, go and see your doctor and listen to their advice. Go swimming in the meantime - it'll help with your cardio when you're ready to take it on again!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

looking for advice as usual !

My kids have screen locked my ipod. My itunes library has gone from my p.c. all has been deleted:mad:

I was hoping to go out running tm0, t.b.h. I'm desperate to get back out. Can you download the pod cast by Robert Ullrey to your phone. I don't have an iphone ?? I'm not likely to get the ipod problem sorted by tmo, so looking for an alternative

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My kids have screen locked my ipod. My itunes library has gone from my p.c. all has been deleted:mad:

I was hoping to go out running tm0, t.b.h. I'm desperate to get back out. Can you download the pod cast by Robert Ullrey to your phone. I don't have an iphone ?? I'm not likely to get the ipod problem sorted by tmo, so looking for an alternative

What do you mean that they have screen locked it?

You can reset your ipod by flicking the hold switch on and off or by pressing and holding the play/pause button and the menu button. Hold them for about 10 seconds and the ipod should reset itself and should keep all it's data etc..

Edit: The above is for a scroll wheel iPod.

• Advertisement

thx. nothing happened! When I turn on the ipod, I get a screen with Screen Lock showing on top and a picture of a key lock. It asks you to enter your combination number. We don't know it. Small fella locked it and doesn't know combination number. I have held the play/pause button for 10 seconds, nothing. I have also flicked the lock swich at top of ipod, again, nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

thx. nothing happened! When I turn on the ipod, I get a screen with Screen Lock showing on top and a picture of a key lock. It asks you to enter your combination number. We don't know it. Small fella locked it and doesn't know combination number. I have held the play/pause button for 10 seconds, nothing. I have also flicked the lock swich at top of ipod, again, nothing!
    they've set it so it needs to a combination to open

slide the top button over and back,then hold the middle button and top outer circle together for as long as it takes for the screen to go black, then let go(10 secs roughly), you might loose your data but a re sync should sort it, provided they're still on your pc.

didn't go into much detail earlier, problem is itunes program has been deleted completely from my p.c.:mad: so not only is ipod screen locked, I can't sync it. I tried downloading itunes 10 earlier, but still nothing. My ipod won't sync with it, as it's an earlier version of itunes, not exactly sure which one, so I'm thinking I need to figure out which version of itunes is on my ipod and download it, if that is at all possible, it doesn;t seem possible on the apple / itunes website.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭eefums

so guys week5 starts today, pretty scaqred I have to say as after my first run of week four wehn I was on a high, runs 2 adn 3 were really tough, im puttin this down to me being really really wrecked as I am not sleeping and also to the weather!
    heres hoping after two good sleeps at the weekend that the weather dies downa bit and week 5 run 1 goes ok!
    eeekkk :eek:

Your music files should still be on your pc in 'my music' or thereabouts, you just have to re import to itunes. You'll probably have to clear your ipod before syncing it with the new version of itunes.

W4D1 yesterday afternoon. Very tough. I only did W3D3 the day before in the morning but I only get a chance to run at weekends and once midweek usually so had to grab the chance when I had it. Also it was in the rain. Found it really, really hard. It's times like this I find it really hard to believe I will ever be able to run for 30 minutes consecutively. I find if I start thinking about my breathing I'm gasping for breath- a vicious circle!:rolleyes:

So w5 d3 in the bag cant believe I just ran 20 mins straight im so happy right now really think its a personal achievement for myself ive never been the sporty type I was the type of girl that in school got letters from my mam to get out of PE! So to run 20 mins straight is huge for me! Bring on w6!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Finished Week 2 today so I'm a third of the way through my programme (couch to 30 minutes on the "321run lite" app) already!

Did 4km in 31 min 28 sec today so chuffed with that after only 2 weeks of running! Should be finishing the final week just before the st. patricks day 5k in Dublin city centre. Set myself a target of under 32 minutes for race day!

Just hope I can keep this up, my programme really pushes you to run sooner rather than later. Not getting walking breaks longer than 15 seconds anymore :( and it's shorter than it sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭eefums

elsy wrote: »
    So w5 d3 in the bag cant believe I just ran 20 mins straight im so happy right now really think its a personal achievement for myself ive never been the sporty type I was the type of girl that in school got letters from my mam to get out of PE! So to run 20 mins straight is huge for me! Bring on w6!! :):):)

wow elsy big congrats to you, i am well impressed, I really dont think i am goin to be ready for that come fri night whihc is when i shall be there, its scaring me, altho one day at at a time?
    did it take much out of u?
    god im really happy for you massive well done

• Advertisement

eefums wrote: »
    wow elsy big congrats to you, i am well impressed, I really dont think i am goin to be ready for that come fri night whihc is when i shall be there, its scaring me, altho one day at at a time?
    did it take much out of u?
    god im really happy for you massive well done
    I found w4 so hard and like you as week went on it got harder not easier and I was like no way will I run 20 mins but this week something just clicked and I was able for it. The 20 min run was challenging but it was mental thing my legs and breathing were ok I found once I got past the 10th min mark it felt much easier.

Advertisement