Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

+1

As I said above, these things are not always black and white. If people just try to stick to the lane they enter the roundabout on and leave on the same lane (2 lane roundabout) then things should be fine. You just have to watch out for people switching lanes mid-roundabout or on exiting. MSM :)
    But, on that same roundabout, if you are entering in right hand lane coming from town and exiting directly from the right hand lane onto Bothar na dTreabh, and I am entering on the left hand lane from the Headford Road and taking the Liosban exit (second exit for me), then you will be cutting right across me when you exit, which is surely a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

no, cause you techniclly have to yield to traffic coming from the right - so you should not pull out until the roundabout is clear, really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Oh dear. No wonder there is such confusion.
    Does this kind of messing happen in the UK and in other European countries where roundabouts are common?

No it doesn't. Road markings in the Netherlands are crystal clear. Simple roundabouts only have one lane, 'complicated' ones have arrows and lines where you just get into the right line beforehand and exit at the correct one.

The difficult ones also have intelligent lights (traffic dependent) that manage traffic in a sensible way and have mini-kerbs between the lanes so you can't switch where you're not supposed to, and pedestrian/cyclists don't use the roundabout at all but go around it.

rotonde.jpg

Rotonde-Rochadeweg.jpg

(The second picture shows an example of the raised divider between the lanes)

What I hate about the roundabouts here that it's totally unclear what to do due to all the lanes and 'mini-exits' unless you study the roundabout carefully. I remember someone once sent a whole-page letter to the Galway Advertiser explaining how to use the big roundabout Between Tesco, Dunnes and Currys.

But this shouldn't be required of a driver in heavy traffic, the road should be clear enough for the casual driver to make split-second decisions and make the right one every time. Also without intelligent lights they cause huge backlogs because if everyone takes the same exits they basically block all the ones before it from ever entering in heavy traffic. The lack of lights also puts too much pressure on the drivers to rush for small gaps because otherwise they'll never get out, and causes the speed on the roundabout to grow to dangerous levels.

Edit: It also doesn't help that the rules of the road don't even mention big multi-lane roundabouts or for example which exit to use when there is a multi-lane exit. They only explain the most basic ones :S When I read here that the RSA can't even agree on the standards I can understand why nobody really knows.

I think the way they're done here they create more problems than they solve, and I welcome the replacement by intelligently managed crossings such as at the huntsman/wellpark. Waiting times have really been reduced there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

galah wrote: »
    no, cause you techniclly have to yield to traffic coming from the right - so you should not pull out until the roundabout is clear, really....

Exactly Galah. Not yielding to tight of way = grade 3 in test and it doesn't matter what lane the car is in when it is on the roundabout/exit it is taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

No it doesn't. Road markings in the Netherlands are crystal clear. Simple roundabouts only have one lane, 'complicated' ones have arrows and lines where you just get into the right line beforehand and exit at the correct one.

The difficult ones also have intelligent lights (traffic dependent) that manage traffic in a sensible way and have mini-kerbs between the lanes so you can't switch where you're not supposed to, and pedestrian/cyclists don't use the roundabout at all but go around it.

What I hate about the roundabouts here that it's totally unclear what to do due to all the lanes and 'mini-exits' unless you study the roundabout carefully. I remember someone once sent a whole-page letter to the Galway Advertiser explaining how to use the big roundabout Between Tesco, Dunnes and Currys.

But this shouldn't be required of a driver in heavy traffic, the road should be clear enough for the casual driver to make split-second decisions and make the right one every time. Also without intelligent lights they cause huge backlogs because if everyone takes the same exits they basically block all the ones before it from ever entering in heavy traffic. The lack of lights also puts too much pressure on the drivers to rush for small gaps because otherwise they'll never get out, and causes the speed on the roundabout to grow to dangerous levels.

I think the way they're done here they create more problems than they solve, and I welcome the replacement by intelligently managed crossings such as at the huntsman/wellpark. Waiting times have really been reduced there.

If I could thank you a thousand times I would, but just the one will have to suffice.

Are you Dutch, by any chance? If you're used to the standards of road engineering that they have in the Netherlands it must be really frustrating to put up with the sheer stupidity, incompetence and carelessness foisted on us here.

Somehow I can't imagine such a thread on Boards.nl. The familiar refrain again: only in Ireland? With Galway being one of the worst examples of the warped Irish roundabout fetish. Luckily some authorities are at last beginning to see sense, and one or two of the most farcical and dangerous roundabouts are being replaced by signalised junctions.

Maybe in another three to five decades, if we're very lucky, we might see widespread improvement in Ireland and something close to what the Dutch have been enjoying for years.

Veel geluk.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

While we are on the topic of roundabouts:

These are the parts people seem to find difficult to do properly.
    nxuqt5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

KevR wrote: »
    The City Council should just put down road markings on the approach to this roundabout and then there would be no need for a deabte on which lane is correct.

Passed through the Menlo Park roundabout this morning and a guy was pulled over by the Garda Traffic Corps just after the pedestrian lights (exit if you're heading up to the Tuam Rd roundabout). Didn't see what he did but the thought did cross my mind that the Garda saw him using the wrong lane on the roundabout..

I have heard of the Gardai pulling people for using the left lane to take the third exit on the Menlo Pk roundabout. I think they also used to pull people for the same thing at the old N6 roundabout in Oranmore.

Yes and it wrecks my head, they do it to avoid the traffic jams. Outside lane is for first or second exit unless otherwise stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DanielI

biko wrote: »
    I use the clock method pretty much everywhere where I can't see markings/ there aren't marking.
    Only place this doesn't work is actually in OP's roundabout coming into it from Bothar na dTreabh and going straight, up past Menlo Hotel.
    People in the right lane often intend to turn left into the dual Headford road "fast lane" so if you're in the left lane you're in their way.

Therefore I use the right lane there to go straight (also it's slightly after 12 o'clock so still working according to the clock system).

But you are using the clock method correctly. The information sign tells you which lane to take (the 2nd in this case):
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=galway+ireland+maps&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Galway,+County+Galway&gl=ie&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.287074,-9.041691&panoid=oRlFFxVFR946v-cJWz9Iwg&cbp=12,245.46,,1,2.35&ll=53.286487,-9.040911&spn=0.004772,0.009645&z=17

If they wanted you to take the first Lane, they would have made the arrow pointing at 12 o'clock. Plenty of space on the sign for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

While we're on this topic, the roundabout where at Doughiska where the new M/N6 comes in - the signs approaching the roundabout advise people to use the slip lane for going left up to Galway Clinic roundabout, use the left lane on the roundabout for also going to the Clinic roundabout and the right lane only for turning right at the roundabout (continuing on the N6 to the Briarhill roundabout). It's actually illegal to use the left lane to turn right on this roundabout because the signs indicate which lanes people should use. I know many people will argue that there is nothing really wrong with people using the left lane to go right and that the left lane barely gets used for left turns because of the slip lane - I'm just pointing out what the facts are.

I personally think that it was disgraceful for them to build a roundabout there in Doughiska, it should have been a full free-flow junction (which wouldn't have costed much more). :mad:

While we are on the topic of roundabouts:

These are the parts people seem to find difficult to do properly.
    http://oi51.tinypic.com/nxuqt5.jpg

Yes, that homicidal-suicidal piece of sh:t designed by Galway City Council's "engineers" and expert consultants. A veritable circus of horrors.

One of my favourite bits -- and there are many on this sick joke of a junction -- is the way the lane markings suddenly appear and disappear. See for example the lane marking that miraculously sprouts out of the centre circle around 6 o'clock.

You have to hand it to them -- Galway is a great city for (p:ss) artists.

Thanks be to the lovin lambin Jebus, though, this f@ck-up is slated to be replaced by a signalised junction.

• Advertisement

I personally think that it was disgraceful for them to build a roundabout there in Doughiska, it should have been a full free-flow junction (which wouldn't have costed much more). :mad:

Either that or ban right turning. People can turn at the roundabout.

DanielI wrote: »
    But you are using the clock method correctly. The information sign tells you which lane to take (the 2nd in this case):
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=galway+ireland+maps&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Galway,+County+Galway&gl=ie&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.287074,-9.041691&panoid=oRlFFxVFR946v-cJWz9Iwg&cbp=12,245.46,,1,2.35&ll=53.286487,-9.040911&spn=0.004772,0.009645&z=17

If they wanted you to take the first Lane, they would have made the arrow pointing at 12 o'clock. Plenty of space on the sign for that.

What are you talking about?

Menlo is clearly the third exit when you're coming from the Bothar na dTreabh side.

The third exit is the one after the second exit -- it couldn't be any clearer. "Slightly after 12 o'clock" is what: five past twelve?

EDIT: are you in fact referring to "first" and "second" lanes? I'm not familiar with such terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

all the roundabouts in Galway are insanely dangerous for cyclists. Should make the election candidates canvass on bikes.

Menlo is clearly the third exit when you're coming from the Bothar na dTreabh side.

The third exit is the one after the second exit -- it couldn't be any clearer. "Slightly after 12 o'clock" is what: five past twelve?

When Biko said "Slightly after 12 o'clock", he was refering to the physical roundabout layout as seen from above.

Yes, Menlo is the third exit. If you use the clock method in conjunction with the information sign (see the link in my post), you would take the second lane. Because the sign shows Menlo Exit past 12 o'clock.

What is a "full free-flow junction"?

Incidentally, IMO Irish roads authorities love a certain minimal standard of roundabout precisely because they are (a) cheap and (b) generally favour traffic flow and volume.

EDIT: are you in fact referring to "first" and "second" lanes? I'm not familiar with such terminology.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm not from around here. I was taught that Lane 1 is nearest to the kerb/side-walk.

OK, fair enough. If you are used to, say, North American terminology then you would express it differently.

But that prompts more questions.

1. Who knows what any given roundabout looks like from above, especially someone unfamiliar with a particular junction? In such a case, how can the clock method be of practical use when perhaps a quick decision has to be taken regarding which lane to be in?

2. How does the clock method work here if you're on the 4-lane Sean Mulvoy road (R338) and wish to continue through the roundabout onto the 2-lane Moneenageisha Road (R338)? There may be more and far better examples. IMO, the clock method is imprecise. It's relative (and hence trickier to apply in different cases) whereas the number of exits is always absolute.

OK, fair enough. If you are used to, say, North American terminology then you would express it differently.

But that prompts more questions.

1. Who knows what any given roundabout looks like from above, especially someone unfamiliar with a particular junction? In such a case, how can the clock method be of practical use when perhaps a quick decision has to be taken regarding which lane to be in?

2. How does the clock method work here if you're on the 4-lane Sean Mulvoy road (R338) and wish to continue through the roundabout onto the 2-lane Moneenageisha Road (R338)? There may be more and far better examples. IMO, the clock method is imprecise. It's relative (and hence trickier to apply in different cases) whereas the number of exits is always absolute.

1. That is my point exactly. The clock method is to be used in conjunction with the sign.

2. Simple. I look at the sign:http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=sean+mulvoy+road&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sean+Mulvoy+Rd,+Galway,+County+Galway&t=h&ll=53.282611,-9.039696&spn=0.001193,0.002411&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.282696,-9.04021&panoid=-t59--p-mivdlAaXiNO2Gw&cbp=12,101.84,,2,-1.01
    Third exit at 12 o'clock: Lane 1 (left lane). (The fact that I said that it is the third exit, has nothing to do with my algorithm)

I grant you that the sign is wrong here (the Moneenageisha Exit should be sign-posted at 1 or 2 o'clock). I can see the sign not the actual roundabout (just look at the picture). Not to mention that in bad weather or when needed to act fast, I might not see the tiny line indicating the first exit (the text "Sandy Rd" is not on the sign).

Reading the clock is faster than counting the exits in my opinion. (not to mention that you can read the clock without a dial). Applying the clock in conjunction with the information sign is the way to go.

Having correct signs is an entirely different matter. See this one:
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=sean+mulvoy+road&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sean+Mulvoy+Rd,+Galway,+County+Galway&t=h&ll=53.270596,-9.09831&spn=0.004799,0.013733&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.270475,-9.098705&panoid=tdfIt1pa1LPNspWXLB00WA&cbp=12,59.46,,0,5.35

"All Routes" should point to 2 o'clock

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Threads on roundabouts go round in circles. Mwah ha!

Flipping yokes cause so much trouble.

7 of the buggers I go through on my morning commute, I could add another 4 if I went a different way.

Oh and the answer is right. :p

Das Kitty wrote: »

Flipping yokes cause so much trouble.

7 of the buggers I go through on my morning commute, I could add another 4 if I went a different way.

If your answer is right, then I suppose you enter the Moneenageisha Rd.in the second (right hand lane) right? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

What is a "full free-flow junction"?
    A junction where all traffic flows freely, nobody has to stop.

e.g. - a 'Trumpet' junction could have been built instead of a roundabout at Doughiska. Would have just required a little imagination, it would not have cost a huge amount more than the unimaginative roundabout. trumpet.png

A slightly more compact version could have fitted in at Doughiska without the need for any extra land.

A 'Directional-T' junction is also fully free-flow and allows interchanging between the routes to be done at a higher speed. But they are more expensive than trumpet junctions.
    b3ce8add8e507810c36a77878c14_grande.jpg

DanielI wrote: »
    Simple. I look at the sign:http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=sean+mulvoy+road&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sean+Mulvoy+Rd,+Galway,+County+Galway&t=h&ll=53.282611,-9.039696&spn=0.001193,0.002411&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.282696,-9.04021&panoid=-t59--p-mivdlAaXiNO2Gw&cbp=12,101.84,,2,-1.01
    Third exit at 12 o'clock: Lane 1 (left lane). (The fact that I said that it is the third exit, has nothing to do with my algorithm)

I grant you that the sign is wrong here (the Moneenageisha Exit should be sign-posted at 1 or 2 o'clock). I can see the sign not the actual roundabout (just look at the picture). Not to mention that in bad weather or when needed to act fast, I might not see the tiny line indicating the first exit (the text "Sandy Rd" is not on the sign).

Reading the clock is faster than counting the exits in my opinion. (not to mention that you can read the clock without a dial). Applying the clock in conjunction with the information sign is the way to go.

I have to say that Irish roundabouts + Irish signage + Irish driving + the clock method is a recipe for confusion, IMO. No wonder 25% of collisions are occurring on Galway's roundabouts, yet this type of junction is reputedly safer.

In the example we have been discussing, Menlo is the third exit and hence requires the right-hand lane and an initial right indicator.

What do clock-users do when the third exit is at 11 o'clock?

Das Kitty wrote: »

They do indeed.

Eh?

e.g. - a 'Trumpet' junction could have been built instead of a roundabout at Doughiska. Would have just required a little imagination, it would not have cost a huge amount more than the unimaginative roundabout. http://www.infrastructurist.com/wp-content/uploads/trumpet.png

A slightly more compact version could have fitted in at Doughiska without the need for any extra land.

A 'Directional-T' junction is also fully free-flow and allows interchanging between the routes to be done at a higher speed. But they are more expensive than trumpet junctions.
    http://cdn.wn.com/pd/73/c4/b3ce8add8e507810c36a77878c14_grande.jpg

Hmmmm. Not near enough urban sprawl and concrete jungle in this country yet. I'd like to rip out the rail lines, bus lanes, cycleways, footpaths and compact residential developments and put in more of this sort of thing: :P

449px-High_Five.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I don't see any tailbacks on that thing, you may have a point :D

Getting back to the OP's original image, Driving a tractor unit and trailer you have to either take the lanes as the OP has shown or else take control of the two lanes approaching the roundabout. It's not possible to enter the roundabout in the right hand lane and get around the roundabout all the while staying in the same lane

I have to say that Irish roundabouts + Irish signage + Irish driving + the clock method is a recipe for confusion, IMO. No wonder 25% of collisions are occurring on Galway's roundabouts, yet this type of junction is reputedly safer.

In the example we have been discussing, Menlo is the third exit and hence requires the right-hand lane and an initial right indicator.

What do clock-users do when the third exit is at 11 o'clock?

They do indeed.

Eh?

Hmmmm. Not near enough urban sprawl and concrete jungle in this country yet. I'd like to rip out the rail lines, bus lanes, cycleways, footpaths and compact residential developments and put in more of this sort of thing: :P

449px-High_Five.jpg

You know, you are absolutely right. While I see the advantages and the disadvantages of the exit method, it is clear that I am not even going to make you think about considering the clock method. That's OK...

What this country needs is a bit more regulation, and eventualy the authorities to come forwards and tell Joe Public what to do in such cases. Instead they say pass...

The following is taking from the Rules of the Road at Page 9:
    "The overall aim of this booklet is to promote safety, good driving practice and courtesy in using our roads according to the law. It is an interpretation of the law from a road safety view. If you have a query you should check the legislation or ask a Garda. It covers the road traffic laws currently in force, but it will be updated regularly in the future to take account of new laws."

I wish you all the best. Have a safe journey! (just remember I use the clock method)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ronand

I do agree that coming rom Bothar na dTreabh going to Menlo, it's best to be in the right hand lane but the RSA reply linked to earlier said to use the left lane for up to 1 o'clock! In fairness, the sign is more than one o'clock but that didn't help me as another user this evening tried to take this exit from the left lane at the same time as me.

I've also regularly seen close shaves where a car on the left lane going to Menlo just misses a car in the right lane going left towards the Tesco roundabout. A neighbour gets very upset when he sees that (ie car from right lane coming down from Tuam rd, staying on dual-carriageway towards Tesco - I never knew whether he was correct or not).

-r

Thanks for that.

Menlo is clearly signed as the third exit (or "1 o'clock") hence the requirement to use the Right lane.

To my mind the "clock" and "going straight" references are at best vague in this situation, whereas "third exit" is perfectly clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

e.g. - a 'Trumpet' junction could have been built instead of a roundabout at Doughiska. Would have just required a little imagination, it would not have cost a huge amount more than the unimaginative roundabout. trumpet.png

b3ce8add8e507810c36a77878c14_grande.jpg
    At peak times the traffic would still just queue back up the road from Briarhill, through and over the junction. Briarhill is the source of the problem, that's where a solution needs to be found.

The bridge would cost in excess of a million euros. The extra landtake in a residential zoned area would also have constituted a major additional cost. Your almost certainly talking in excess of three million euros in total.

The presence of an overbridge in close proximity to a rapidly developing residential area would also have been problemetical from an environmental and project acceptability point of view.

A dedicated bus only route is also planned to continue from that junction through Merlin Park at some unspecified time in the future. This would imply that an overbridge solution would probably be based on a dumbbell solution, which would give you two roundabouts instead of one. A freeflow facility at a four-way junction would be a pretty imposing creation at that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

That Menlo exit is the only one that would cause a bit of confusion.

Although I did have someone beep at me here - HERE - when I went out the tuam road coming from bohermore when they were in the right lane coming on to the roundabout.

The clock method was fairly simple there, dunno why he thought he was in the correct lane.

Im only slightly ashamed to admit that coming from the headford rd / Terryland side on to the menlo roundabout in the evenings, that I take the left lane to go right. The traffic flows quicker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Caliden wrote: »
    That Menlo exit is the only one that would cause a bit of confusion.

Although I did have someone beep at me here - HERE - when I went out the tuam road coming from bohermore when they were in the right lane coming on to the roundabout.

The clock method was fairly simple there, dunno why he thought he was in the correct lane.

That roundabout is notorious for idiots thinking it's ok to use the right-hand lane from Bohermore to go straight through to the Tuam Road. Why do they do it? Cause there's less queuing...

The amount of near misses I've had there (and the amount of numbnuts giving ME the finger after I beeped at them for cutting ME off...grrrrrr).

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

This is wrong:

2vk13dj.jpg

Thanks for listening.

Only this morning at 7am on the Menlo Park/Hedford Road roundabout a young lad gave me the bird when he was incorrect. :confused:

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    That roundabout is notorious for idiots thinking it's ok to use the right-hand lane from Bohermore to go straight through to the Tuam Road. Why do they do it? Cause there's less queuing...

The amount of near misses I've had there (and the amount of numbnuts giving ME the finger after I beeped at them for cutting ME off...grrrrrr).

What meaning or significance does "straight through" have in this context?

Coming from Bohermore, the Tuam Road is the third exit. Therefore it is correct to be in the right-hand lane. If it's not, can you identify the section in the RoTR that says different?

And by the way, didn't the OP state otherwise at the very start?

I suspect the problem here is that the roundabout may be a bit small, though I can't say for definite how it compares to other roundabouts in the area. AFAIK there are no lanes or other guides marked on it, which may add to any confusion.

Advertisement