Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Issues for Firearms Owners

Options
  • 27-01-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

With the election within 4 weeks I expect an amount of candidates calling to my door. I will be raising a few issues and asking some questions in relation to Shooting. What will you be saying to each party? Now I know this can be emotive so lets keep it civil. For instance I'll be asking FG what John Deasy has to say about firearms or will he tow the party line? I'll ask FF why their Justice Minister did what he did and still Gun Crime is up. Greens and hunting ....etc etc.... Sinn Fein etc...

Lots of guys still have to go before the Courts on appeals and JR - what can we do politically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

My first question would be:
    "What Ministerial seat have you been promised by the leader of your party?".

Because if the candidate isn't going to be a Minister, there's little point in talking to them. Let them know you shoot and that that'll be an issue for you, yes; but any questions you ask of them, the answers won't be worth the time it takes to listen to them. Send information through them back up the party chain to the guy who'll make the decisions, yes. Listen to a flunky who ranks at the same level as the tea-lady, not so much.

What we were thinking of doing here for the election, btw, was collating a set of questions and then forwarding that to each of the party's relevant spokespeople for an official party statement of intent, and invite them to post in here on that. Does that sound of interest to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Sparks wrote: »

Because if the candidate isn't going to be a Minister, there's little point in talking to them. Let them know you shoot and that that'll be an issue for you, yes; but any questions you ask of them, the answers won't be worth the time it takes to listen to them. Send information through them back up the party chain to the guy who'll make the decisions, yes. Listen to a flunky who ranks at the same level as the tea-lady, not so much.

What we were thinking of doing here for the election, btw, was collating a set of questions and then forwarding that to each of the party's relevant spokespeople for an official party statement of intent, and invite them to post in here on that. Does that sound of interest to people?

Thats exactly what we need. Letting the Parties know that the question is being asked on behalf of thousands would be very effective.

In which case let's start the list.

Personally, I'd ask:
    • Who will your party's nominee for the role of Minister for Justice be?
    • What is your party's official position on private firearms ownership and does your nominee for Minister for Justice support this position?
    • What are your party's plans to reform the Firearms Act?
    • What are your party's plans to reform the Explosives Act?
    • What are your party's plans to reform the Wildlife Act?
    • Does your party propose to extend the Firearms Consultation Panel's remit and make it a consultation body on a permanent basis?
    • Does your party propose to modify the Restricted Firearms SI to permit private ownership of centerfire pistols?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I don't want any of them calling to my door, and have a sign up to that effect. They'll tell you what they think you want to hear, which will have nothing to with what they will or won't do once in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Personally, I'd ask:
    • Who will your party's nominee for the role of Minister for Justice be?
    • What is your party's official position on private firearms ownership and does your nominee for Minister for Justice support this position?
    • What are your party's plans to reform the Firearms Act?
    • What are your party's plans to reform the Explosives Act?
    • What are your party's plans to reform the Wildlife Act?
    • Does your party propose to extend the Firearms Consultation Panel's remit and make it a consultation body on a permanent basis?
    • Does your party propose to modify the Restricted Firearms SI to permit private ownership of centerfire pistols?

Why not include the CJA 2009? This gave effect to the banning of Practial Shooting and new Centrefire Licenses? Am I right?

• Advertisement

The CJA2009 (and the CJA2006) both modified the Firearms Act knockon - so asking if they will reform the Firearms Act covers that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

I'll also ask if the licencing fee is to remain the same or to be increased every renewal date to raise much needed revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Personally, I'd ask:
    • Who will your party's nominee for the role of Minister for Justice be? etc,etc

Sounds good to me.:D
    Possibly too,is your party planning any further anti firearms ownership legislation?

Would they consider re evaluating a definition of what a "firing range " is in legislation?IOW a specificlly built place run for profit with fixed points and fixtures and fittings.Not the side of a safe embankment on private property where generations have been shooting safly.

A gun is a gun is a gun.On that basis would they consider doing away with the restricted/unrestricted categories and simplify this to simply "good reason" to aquire and liscense.Rather than an extra layer of garda beauracy requiring "an extra super good reason "to own certain types of firearms?

Would they be in favour of serious investigation by the Garda ombudsman and possibly charges being brought against members of on Garda Siochanna of any rank,who "lose" extremly confidential firearms applications with a myriad of personal information of Irish gunowners in the Garda station??After all, all the other busisness of aGarda station doesnt seemingly go amiss as regulary as firearms applications?Tickets,summonses,arrest warrents etc,dont get lost,just FAC applications....Funny that!

Would they be in favour of intorducing legislation that if a gun owner is sucessfull in a DC application.The Super or CSuper is obliged then to issue the FAC with in period of no less than fourteen calender days of the judgement??

Would they be in favour of removing the firearms liscensing system in its entirity from AGS,and it being handled by a competant trained and knowledgeable body of civillian administration and personel,with the legislative power to grant or refuse liscenses?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A gun is a gun is a gun.

This would probably come under Sparks question of "changes to Firearms Act".

On that note i would ask them their position on juniors in the sports. IOW to see air rifles (example) being removed from the firearms category, or at least those under a certain power rating such as 7ft/lb (or higher). This will open up a world of shooting to juniors and do away with ridiculous legislation that restricts and strangles our sports as the average starting age could be much lower, no security measures that juniors cannot afford, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sounds good to me.:D
    Possibly too,is your party planning any further anti firearms ownership legislation?

Would they consider re evaluating a definition of what a "firing range " is in legislation?IOW a specificlly built place run for profit with fixed points and fixtures and fittings.Not the side of a safe embankment on private property where generations have been shooting safly.

A gun is a gun is a gun.On that basis would they consider doing away with the restricted/unrestricted categories and simplify this to simply "good reason" to aquire and liscense.Rather than an extra layer of garda beauracy requiring "an extra super good reason "to own certain types of firearms?

Would they be in favour of serious investigation by the Garda ombudsman and possibly charges being brought against members of on Garda Siochanna of any rank,who "lose" extremly confidential firearms applications with a myriad of personal information of Irish gunowners in the Garda station??After all, all the other busisness of aGarda station doesnt seemingly go amiss as regulary as firearms applications?Tickets,summonses,arrest warrents etc,dont get lost,just FAC applications....Funny that!

Would they be in favour of intorducing legislation that if a gun owner is sucessfull in a DC application.The Super or CSuper is obliged then to issue the FAC with in period of no less than fourteen calender days of the judgement??

Would they be in favour of removing the firearms liscensing system in its entirity from AGS,and it being handled by a competant trained and knowledgeable body of civillian administration and personel,with the legislative power to grant or refuse liscenses?
    i would like to see a comittee put in place to oversee refusals and not the dc..as ye know many of us could afford the costs and had to surrender our pistols,
    also airgun question needs to be looked at ie power limits to allow young people get into the sport without having to jump through hoops and allow us to import airguns from countries where they are much cheaper.
    loads of other things.
    btw fg spokesman on justice is alan shatter,i have written to him already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

daveob007 wrote: »
    i would like to see a comittee put in place to oversee refusals and not the dc..as ye know many of us could afford the costs and had to surrender our pistols,
    also airgun question needs to be looked at ie power limits to allow young people get into the sport without having to jump through hoops and allow us to import airguns from countries where they are much cheaper.
    loads of other things.
    btw fg spokesman on justice is alan shatter,i have written to him already.

Yep, Alan shatter is the Justice spokesman and a former President of the Irish Council against bloodsports.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Yep, Alan shatter is the Justice spokesman and a former President of the Irish Council against bloodsports.:(

This is exactly the kind of information we need about candidates, they probably all have hidden agendas and we deserve to know before we cast our vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

And there are more just google:D

Advertisement