Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great run meno after a tough start. Good to see you (briefly!) again. Sorry I could not stick around at McGs I had to round up the the rest of my 'team'. We are idly thinking about Barcalona ....... It is flat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

When you going for 3.30 again bud?
    Straight back on the horse:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yep Oisin, straight back on the horse. Hope to PB at the waterford Half, then it's all eyes on Barcelona and Conn Ultra. I am changing my mind by the hour on wether or not to go for a PB in Barcelona. I hear you are gonna attempt sub 3 out there?

TOday I met up with Brainderunner in the park. Both our legs were still very heavy. We probably should have stopped at 5 or 6 as it felt like the last few were just miles for the sake of it.
    Anyway 9.7 miles @ 9:21 pace HR 141

That's 162.8 for the month. I probably won't make 2000 miles this year :( maybe next year.

Month|Miles
    January|112
    February|73.6
    March|117
    April|141.8
    May|155.7
    June|152
    July|201.1
    August|166
    September|215.7
    October |162.8
    Total|1497.9 miles

The last few days I have been using the weather as an excuse for not running :o

I was determined to get back into it tonight, so straight after work, I went out in the cold dark, windy, rainy night for a very hilly 10k punishment run.
    The legs felt back to normal tonight. Strong on the uphills and downhills. I got absolutely soaked to the skin, but it felt great.

6.3 miles Pace 8:40, HR 146.

4.8 miles @ 9:05 pace. HR: somewhere between 239 and 110 :rolleyes:
    Conditions: torrential rain and wind, lovely :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Where are you running these days? I take it you're not going around the park. I'll have to start running along the streets again, but not the same in the cold dark, having to watch out for traffic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

I think most people using the poor weather as an excuse.Did you take any kind of break after the marathon?

Aimman wrote: »
    Where are you running these days? I take it you're not going around the park. I'll have to start running along the streets again, but not the same in the cold dark, having to watch out for traffic etc.

Yesterday up near ballycullen/Firhouse (handy for me after work). Tonight along the canal. Tomorrow I'll probably do a few hilly miles at lunchtime up the Dublin Mountains. I am thinking of investing in a head torch and going back to the park...haven't really found a route I like yet. I am open to suggestions if you want to meet up for a run any evening.

By the way are you coming for the group run on saturday?
    clubcard wrote: »
    I think most people using the poor weather as an excuse.Did you take any kind of break after the marathon?

In fairness I only did 3 short runs last week and will do 4 this (following p&D recovery plan)...The legs feel back to normal now so I might get a tempo run in next week,. I need a little bit of speed training ahead of the waterford half...

menoscemo wrote: »
    By the way are you coming for the group run on saturday?

Would love to, but I'll be out of Dublin from tomorrow till Wednesday evening. I think there'll be a good turn out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

good man,on the topic of head torches I got a great one in snow and rock for around 35euro.few lads I runw ith have them but this seems to be alot brighter.Tikka I think is the brand

• Advertisement

clubcard wrote: »
    good man,on the topic of head torches I got a great one in snow and rock for around 35euro.few lads I runw ith have them but this seems to be alot brighter.Tikka I think is the brand

Is that in the shopping centre? Is it out by elverys? might get one so...

4 miles at lunch time today up and down the Dublin Mountains (100m climbing). Pace 8:22, HR: messed up again.

11 miles in the Park this morning with Gerard and Shels. 9:20 pace. gerard and I did an extra loop at the end so that he could make up his 1000 miles for the year, but it looks to me that he is still 4 miles short :pac:

Legs a fair bit tired by the end. I might need another week of easy running, before beginning speed work...

Weekly total: 4 Runs 26.1 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

11 miles in the Park this morning with Gerard and Shels. 9:20 pace. gerard and I did an extra loop at the end so that he could make up his 1000 miles for the year, but it looks to me that he is still 4 miles short :pac:
    Nope, a 1000mls exactly. I had done 4 on Thurs which I hadn't updated.:D

5.3 miles today at 8:17 pace. This was still supposed to be a recovery run (loosely following P&D recovery programme) but I felt good and my pace was well above recovery pace. I upped the pace again for the last 2 miles (both under 8 minutes).
    I think I will do a real recovery run tomorrow and try a tempo session on wednesday or thursday. I really need to get an idea of pace for the waterford half so I am guessing whatever pace I can hold for 3 or 4 mile in training at this stage should be about right.

5 miles recovery tonight. 9:30 pace. Proper recovery pace tonight, despite the freezing wind and rain I kept it real slow. I tested out my new headtorch for the first time, I can see it coming in very useful over the winter.

The HRM strap is definately screwed t this stage. I took it out for the first time in a few runs. It has me at 152Av HR for the first mile and 93 for the third (dropping as low as 60 in places...).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

HR for the first mile and 93 for the third (dropping as low as 60 in places...).

Maybe you're just REALLY fit :confused:

Maybe you're just REALLY fit :confused:

Maybe, but fit and unfit in the same run? Peak Heart rate 185, low HR 60 - all in the same run and at the same pace :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Is it the garmin HR giving you those HR readings? when my strap was going when i used to use a polar it started givingme crazy ass readings. start showing my RHR at 90, even though my own pulse checked showed this as wrong and then would jump up to 190 then 150. Jaysus if i was ever at 190 id be dead.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Is it the garmin HR giving you those HR readings? when my strap was going when i used to use a polar it started givingme crazy ass readings. start showing my RHR at 90, even though my own pulse checked showed this as wrong and then would jump up to 190 then 150. Jaysus if i was ever at 190 id be dead.

No, it's a garmin HRM strap.
    It had worked for the most part but did have the the odd off day. Battery is new.
    Anyway this was the 5th run in a row where it went wrong, and it went wrong majorly. In the past when it messes up it measures the HR High (has silly spikes up) but has never measured me at 60 BPM while running...you can check out the HR stats for today here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I really need to get an idea of pace for the waterford half so I am guessing whatever pace I can hold for 3 or 4 mile in training at this stage should be about right.

I would think the pace you can hold for 6-7 miles in training would be a better indicator of hm pace. About 7:05-7'10 pace for you sounds about right. Points to a 1'32 ish finish which is what i'd predict. Leave the HRM at home tomorrow and run by feel, you should know at this stage what LT pace feels like.

I would think the pace you can hold for 6-7 miles in training would be a better indicator of hm pace. About 7:05-7'10 pace for you sounds about right. Points to a 1'32 ish finish which is what i'd predict. Leave the HRM at home tomorrow and run by feel, you should know at this stage what LT pace feels like.

I don't look at the HRM anymore during runs, only after so it makes no difference.
    1:32 is 7:02 pace and 1:34 is 7:10 pace, so Allowing for a bit of extra distance as is normal I'll be needing 7 minute miles to make 1:32. So I'll be trying to hold 7's or under on thursday.
    I hear what you are saying about 6-7 miles in training but I don't feel 100% yet from the marathon. I'll be building up the tempos to 6-7 miles over the next few weeks.

I was going to do this tomorrow, but with the break in weather and the possibility that tomorrow will be brutal, I decided to get it done tonight. The plan was 3 or 4 miles @ at PHMP (7minutes/mile). I have to say I felt really comfortable so I did the 4 and felt like I could have done a few more. Splits: 6:53, 6:53, 6:56, 6:55

With warm up and cool down the total tonight was 6.8 miles @ 7:40 pace (HR Apparently 133 :pac:).

So it seems like all good news, well there's always a catch. I have had pains in both feet since the weekend. In the left foot, it is in the ball of the foot (forefoot), in the right it is in the outstep (mid foot). It almost feels like bruising around the bone in both cases. I rolled both feet over golf balls last night and they felt better today. I didn't feel pain at all during the faster miles but I really felt both feet in the cool down. Perhaps it was just that I was wearing the lunar racers tonight over the bulkier Lunarglides which offer more cushioning, I don't know. I am hoping a little more rolling will sort it out, but I really have no clue what is causing the problems....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd say it was the lunaracers. I assume the toebox in the racers is narrower than in the glides aswell? If so, that could add to the irritation.

I'd say it was the lunaracers. I assume the toebox in the racers is narrower than in the glides aswell? If so, that could add to the irritation.

No doubt and i definately laced one of them up too tight, but what is the problem in the first place? It's no worse now than any other night this week, but there is a definate dull pain in both feet when walking.

No doubt and i definately laced one of them up too tight, but what is the problem in the first place? It's no worse now than any other night this week, but there is a definate dull pain in both feet when walking.

Dont worry, it's just your feet evolving for Ultra running in 2011, its normal and will pass quickly. Also, you'll soon find yourself counting in 10's of miles instead of 1's, setting the video to record stuff you'll miss in 5 hours time while your still out training and eventually, looking far far into the distance and thinking "Thats grand, nearly there now" :D

Dont worry, it's just your feet evolving for Ultra running in 2011, its normal and will pass quickly. Also, you'll soon find yourself counting in 10's of miles instead of 1's, setting the video to record stuff you'll miss in 5 hours time while your still out training and eventually, looking far far into the distance and thinking "Thats grand, nearly there now" :D

Haha. Yes Much like RQ's back injury, the feet are fine when running. So I guess I'll just have to avoid walking and run more from now on :pac:. Are you on for that run in Tymon on friday? You can test out my headtorch before buying one of your own....

Haha. Yes Much like RQ's back injury, the feet are fine when running. So I guess I'll just have to avoid walking and run more from now on :pac:. Are you on for that run in Tymon on friday? You can test out my headtorch before buying one of your own....

Yeah, I'll be around on the Friday night, what time?

I'm thinking of ditching the beach race on Saturday. Is there a 'meet and train' session planned for Saturday morning in the Phoenix Park or anything? I might head out and do miles there instead.

Yeah, I'll be around on the Friday night, what time?

I'm thinking of ditching the beach race on Saturday. Is there a 'meet and train' session planned for Saturday morning in the Phoenix Park or anything? I might head out and do miles there instead.

I'm thinking 5 on friday at 6pm (could make 5.30 if necessary) in Tymon, recovery pace with torch.

Yep there'll be a group on saturday morning at 9.30 for 10-13 miles meeting at papal carpark. I think there is a fair bit of interest. I'll pop up a post in the group training thread later.

• Advertisement

Since wednesday my right foot has been pretty painful on the outstep. I am thinking in the worst case scenario I have a stress fracture in the 5th metatarsal. I ended up not running last night for fear of not being able to do the group run today.
    So this morning I met up with Brianderunner, aimman and RK in the park for an 'LSR'. I wore the DS trainers to see if the extra support helped the foot, but I think they made it worse since they have such a hard sole and little cushioning. I ended up dropping out after 8 miles and the foot is pretty swollen now. I was just on to my physio and he recommended going to the GP and getting a referral letter for an MRI Scan just to see what the problem is. I'll do that on monday.
    Pretty pissed off about all this. I am in good form I feel and I think I am am capable of a good half, but more importantly I really hope this doesn't mess up my medium term goals (Barcelona and Conn Ultra)

Anyway. 8 miles @9:54

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement