Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Nulty wrote: »
    Cats are cool. Watching them in the garden is as close to a safari adventure as I'm likely to get.

Have ya tried Limerick, that might get you a bit closer;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

OisinT wrote: »
    So if Hitler is a cat and cats eat humans then is hitler a cannibal? or.... am I missing something?

I didn't mean 'cat' in the Sammy Davis Jnr sense of the word.I meant a feline.Tying things to Hitler in order to vilify them is silly but it works.I hope by the end of this thread that everyone will see cats as an invasive treacherous menace with fascist urges.

You know who else was a cat?

That's right, Oliver Cromwell.Not surprising is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I think the thread title has it wrong, as said above. There's no pathological hate of cats in Ireland. There's plenty of people who would come in here and say they hate cats, (after seeing such an inviting link) but I'd say most people like whatever pet they grew up with. In parts of southern Europe people identify cats as vermin, and in some parts of asia they see dogs as food. I loved my cat Lola when we had her and I'll get another one someday, but I love dogs too, especially quiet cuddly ones with curly hair (not such a fan of intimidating big dogs) and the energetic friendly golden haired kind.

Animals are loads of fun. If you have a cat or a dog in the room you don't need a TV or a computer, you can just watch their antics, and eventually form a real and lasting bond with them. A cat and a dog who have lived together is even more fun to watch, and by the looks of it the two species don't really hate eachother, so why should we? Give peace a chance!

On the other hand a lot of what cats do is annoying to neighbours, one of my neighbours cats tries to eat my tobacco plants while I was moving them, and sometimes sneaks into our house to try and catch our other pets, a gerbil and two rats (rats are surprisingly cat/dog like in behaviour. Honestly we get five year olds kids climbing our fence as often and they are much more annoying. I hated or feared dogs till I was a small boy and met a golden retriever who was like a sponge for attention and would follow you right up to the bathroom door.

But when I was a little babby and I was crying, Lola would let me grab onto her extra hard like a big teddy bear, and when we finally put her to sleep when I was 11 I wanted to be out of the room for the injection after they gave her a sedative and blanket, but she wailed like a banshee (she rarely even miaowed before this) until I was back back in and in view again, and it tears me up that I nearly abandoned her final moments to a vet. Both kinds are lovely animals that deserve care and attention notwithstanding it was your will to look after them and you have a duty to be reasonable with guests and neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think it's hilarious when people whinge about cats killing birds. It's not like humans eat chicken, duck, pheasant, goose, turkey and various other birds or anything.
    We don't tend to eat endangered wild birds though. Cats do, and with gusto. I'll post the link later but bats are known to decimate breeding populations of birds.

Doc wrote: »
    (if having a barbed willy isn’t a sign of an evil creature I don’t know what is!)

Dogs have something almost as bad though. We've got one but its not as dramatic (PDF) (tldr, the shape of the "corona"is designed to scrape out semen from other men, which makes you wonder just how busy our ancestors were)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Our cat is always on the windowsill with a new catch dangling in her mouth, lovely sight before breakfast:pac:

kylith wrote: »
    We don't tend to eat endangered wild birds though. Cats do, and with gusto. I'll post the link later but bats are known to decimate breeding populations of birds.

Was that a typo or do bats eat birds as well? Somewhat insane if true, given how harmless they seem. I've definitely read what you heard about cats harming rare bird populations, I understand both animals (cats and dogs) are also a big challenge in preserving mammals like the red squirrel and the otter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Because they're useless.And their crap stinks like nothing I have ever smelled.

If your house gets broken in to the dog defends you and himself.The cat either legs it silently or seizes his chance to rob food or both.Even a goldfish would do more to help.
    Cats eat and sleep all day with the odd 5 minute burst of destroying furniture or pretending to hunt.Snakes have easily as much personality with far more limited physical facilities.

I actually roughly categorise people into cats n dogs.The ones I dislike are always catty spiteful sneaky selfish sorts.The ones I like best are the dog like ones,fun loving,loyal and too damn clumsy to enact any serious deceit.

Sounds to me like you're of below average intelligence and only like people who are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Grew up with cats and dogs. Never really liked cats. They don't have any loyalty and are only in it for the food. Also just my perception here but when you play with a dog they interact with you more, if your playing fetch or running along side a dog he tends to interact with you. Where as a cat, if you play with one they are focused on themselves and what they are doing.

I have had 1 dog go a bit bananas on me before. I have had loads of cats go ape on me for no apparent reason.

Also the old analogy of: if a dogs owner dies in the house alone with the dog, the dog will lay down and die beside him/her

if a cats owner dies in the house alone with the cat, the cat will eat the owners decaying corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

2 of the little bastards gave me the fright of me life last night!!!

• Advertisement

George Carlin RIP.
    On the corpse thing, I would rather my S.O./mother/father cannibalise me than starve to death. Cats just kind of.. assume. The straight dope seems to think dogs will eat you eventually anyway. The notion of loyalty to a corpse is very anthropic anyway.

I'm more impressed with the "call for help" thing dogs can easily be trained to do. Defiinitely win on that one. But there are stories like this this etc. There was also that cat recently that alerted a woman to her father's heart attack by ****ting on his bed, producing a smell they had to investigate. Sounds like the actions of a troll, or someone who was good hearted but incapable of showing their actual affection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Pathological?

I cannot vouch for other people, but my dislike for cats stems from them using my garden as a toilet. It is probably unfair to blame the cats though, the owner should be making some attempt at controlling them.

Why don't cat owners control their animals? I wonder how a cat owner would feel if six dogs came into their back garden a couple of times a day to defecate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Dogs traditionally have had more purpose whether it be farming or protection etc. Cats did and do have a role in pest control though. Some people can't acept the self contentment of a cat , they're looking at it thinking , "What does it do , why is it squinting it's eyes at me like that?". I like cats ( some of them anyway ) as they can vary in temperment as much as humans. Two or three is enough though and no cat litter inside the house , seriously cat litter users the bang of cat s**te in your kitchen is not cool :o.

Pathological?

I cannot vouch for other people, but my dislike for cats stems from them using my garden as a toilet. It is probably unfair to blame the cats though, the owner should be making some attempt at controlling them.

Why don't cat owners control their animals? I wonder how a cat owner would feel if six dogs came into their back garden a couple of times a day to defecate.

I agree, as a currently catless fan of cats and as a gardener (who is currently mintless thanks to cats), that it would be better if cats were restricted somehow from violating other people's private property outside or in. It's simply not fair to you if you have vegetables or a children's sandpit to have to deal with it. Unfortunately there's so little out there on keeping cats inside an area (as opposed to outside of one, but there are techniques) and I think owners could be made a little more aware in a friendly way. Cats won't respect fences as natural borders (unless there are other cats on the other side) and a group of cats in control of an area will come and go from any garden as they please.

I know when I get a cat I'm going to try and stop them doing this. It's a difficulty with taller dogs as well, but I think the owners sometimes chain them in that instance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    But of course their only doing all that because their needy and crave affection, cats are obviously much cooler, they could even solve our national debt problem if they could be arsed.

Well at lest give them a chance. :rolleyes:

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Well at lest give them a chance. :rolleyes:

To paraphrase, it would take about 10 cats to even lift a gun, let alone to fire it, and that's why I'm not predicting cats will solve the banking crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I think it's hilarious when people whinge about cats killing birds. It's not like humans eat chicken, duck, pheasant, goose, turkey and various other birds or anything.

We kill them for a reason. Cats kill birds for the fun of it.
    Also, Robert Mugabe is a cat, but he shaves his whiskers, thats why its a secret. That bastard killed Mickey Mouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

To paraphrase, it would take about 10 cats to even lift a gun, let alone to fire it, and that's why I'm not predicting cats will solve the banking crisis.
    Pretty sure there are more than 10 cats out there. They can't do any worse a job than is being done at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'd say cats are hated because of the four in a row. Now that that's finished can everyone go back to hating Cork or someone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I hate cats solely because someone I know NEVER. SHUTS. THE. F**K. UP. about them.

I'm sure they're ok, but seriously: **** cats.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    We kill them for a reason. Cats kill birds for the fun of it.
    Also, Robert Mugabe is a cat, but he shaves his whiskers, thats why its a secret. That bastard killed Mickey Mouse!

The last part of your comment seemed wrong, so I quickly drew it. Yep, wrong.

edit:woops, uploaded wrong picture. robert miaowgabe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

kylith wrote: »

Humans hunted both the great auk and the dodo to extinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Funny that Benedict XVI is a cat lover.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2008/04/benedict-xvi-po.html

Which leaves one wondering about all the other incorrect content in your post.

But how Benedict feels about cats has nothing to do with what he's saying. I don't know if he's right or not, but he's talking about the catholic church long term and ytuo are talking about the latest in a long line of prating truthpimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Humor/otherhumor/dog_cat_diary.htm
    The Dog's Diary
    happydog.gif 8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
    9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
    9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
    10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
    12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
    1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
    3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
    5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
    7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
    8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
    11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!
    poshorsa.gif
    The Cat's Diary
    Day 983 of My Captivity
    My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
    The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!
    evilcat.gif
    There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.
    Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.
    I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Pathological?

I can tell you exactly how I feel about that... and I can't even chase them off, I'm way to scared of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Doc wrote: »

The thing I don’t like about cats is they don’t care what you are saying to them. If you call them 9 times out of 10 they will ignore you and if you tell them to go away they will defiantly ignore you. They don’t seem to understand tone of voice like a dog can or if they do just don’t care. There are few times I wanted to be cruel to an animal but the cat I lived with in the shared house would not stay off the work surfaces. You would be making your dinner and it would jump up and stick its noise into everything. No mater how many times I put it back on the floor or shouted at it he would never F off. I have had dogs and every one I ever owned if I told him to get down or go to bed he would do it.

In my experience cats do listen to their owners and can understand their name and commands etc. Why would they listen to someone who means nothing to them and who obviously dislikes them?

Also, I don't get why people think that cats aren't affectionate. They are actually very affectionate once they get to know and trust you.

There have been instances where cats have alerted owners to fires etc (although this was probably more to save themselves :pac:) so they are not that useless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/5076338.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6216663.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2771719.stm

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I love cats, lots of people I know hate them with a passion, I can't understand it.. There's a litter of strays in my basement car park and even though they're scruffy little buggers, I still can't help having a soft spot for them :o

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    In my experience cats do listen to their owners and can understand their name and commands etc. Why would they listen to someone who means nothing to them and who obviously dislikes them?

Also, I don't get why people think that cats aren't affectionate. They are actually very affectionate once they get to know and trust you.

There have been instances where cats have alerted owners to fires etc (although this was probably more to save themselves :pac:) so they are not that useless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/5076338.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6216663.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2771719.stm

Doc did live up with a cat, so I believe his experiences are genuine. But cats are as different from eachother as people are (or dogs!). Of my aunt's cats (both rescues), one is sort of stupid, and hides away from people and doesn't like to be stroked. The other cat literally jumps over furniture to get to the door when she hears the keys turning as someone comes home, and is the friendliest gentlest, most innocent being you will ever encounter.

On the other hand we could never get Lola (our cat) to do anything we'd tell her. We even knew she understood what was being asked for (e.g. get down off that, stop doing that) but she wouldn't do it, even for a treat. She just didn't give a ****, once she was potty trained nobody was her boss. I've never met a dog like that. On the other hand I have never met a dog who could use and flush the toilet like my aunt's friendly cat...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I love cats. ( i love dogs also)

A stray cat made itself at home in my house 6 months ago, she since broke her pelvis which has healed, she is shy but is getting more used to us and now comes into the living room. My 2 boys give her a hard time but she still will rub up against them.

I had a cat back home when i lived with my parents, she was a fabulous killing machine, she used to put the mice into the bath tub so she could torture them to death and they could not escape not one mouse 3-5 mice. She would also leave me parents at the end of my bed, a dead bird or mouse.

If she was in at night she would wake me up by gently putting her claws up my nose, so i would let her out.

• Advertisement

I love cats. ( i love dogs also)
    A stray cat made itself at home in my house 6 months ago, she since broke her pelvis which has healed, she is shy but is getting more used to us and now comes into the living room. My 2 boys give her a hard time but she still will rub up against them.

Hope you gave the stray some shots! Though I suppose since you mentioned the pelvis you've been to the doc. From what I remember they always get used to breaks like that, they might walk a little funny but they can run just as fast and as far!

Advertisement