Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hated sections in games

Options
  • 10-10-2010 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have levels or sections that they hate in what are otherwise great games?

Some of mine are:

FF7: The temple of ancients - I always hated this part of FF7 it was boring and the music drove me mad. Such an annoying tune.
    I also hated the first time you have to go to the Northern crater when bringing the black materia, another boring section of the game.

GTA SA: It was the section of the game after you leave Los Santos and have to do a few missions in the countryside. I particularily hated the racing missions which took me ages to get past the first time i played the game.

Dragons Age: The dream section in the mages tower is annoying and boring as well.

Oblivion: I've never liked the sections in the Oblivion gates. Every one seems to be the same and i always try and avoid going into the gates if possible. In fact i avoid playing the main quest so that the oblivion gates don't spring up across Cyrodiil.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I hear that about the dream/fade sections in dragon age.. by god. Aside from the levels itself, I had a serious glitch with the stone form.. i couldn't get it to open the locked doors for *ages*. I ended up reloading my most recent save the first time, 8 hours back......when I got back there again I just kept trying to open the door until it worked.. no way i was loading a previous save again after that.

dead space too, the bit with the gun on the side of the ship shooting the asteroids down.. ****ing *hate* doesn't come close to describing how I feel about that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Halo 3 - the ****ing flood level... I'm still angry about it 3 years on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

that bloody alien world level in half life 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Crysis from the alien shít onwards, was amazing up to that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Water Temple in Zelda OoT, Wind Temple in Zelda : WW, the biker chase level in GTA IV, last section of Guitar Hero 3's "campaign".

All required multiple, multiple playthroughs that i stopped enjoying after a few tries.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Coincidence this thread pops up when I've just finished Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

The levels themselves were fun but every one was ruined by the pointless and infuriatingly difficulty-spiked boss fights at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Any game that has an underwater section, Tomb Raider 2, Zelda OoT, God of war, Sonic. Its not that their particularly hard, I just can't stand underwater sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

All Zelda water temples, and that fecking race in Mafia 1.

Oh -

Mass Effect 1: Mako Levels
    Mass Effect 2: Planet Scanning
    Mass Effect 3: Scanner-in-built-into-Mako Levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Oblivion - the gate sections

Dead Space - Shooting down the asteroids

Crysis - I won't say from the aliens onwards as there was some decent levels, but the zero-g section was just terrible

Far Cry - From the mutants onwards

Fallout 3 - The first level inside the vault. Just let me configure my character and start me outside the vault, no birthday party, or goat please

Half Life 2 - Inside the combine tower and all you have is the gravity gun (I fucking hate the gravity gun

I am sure there are others, but can't think of any at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I thought the boss fight with cannon was worse than the asteroids bit in Dead Space. The only way i beat him in the end was by constant blasting while aiming randomly around the screen as opposed to the more accurate shooting i tried the first few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Crysis from the alien shít onwards, was amazing up to that

Far Cry from the mutant shít onwards, was amazing up to that

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Half Life 2 - Inside the combine tower and all you have is the gravity gun (I fucking hate the gravity gun

what the deuce? the super gravity gun was frakking SWEET!

GTA IV: Roman/dating - so annoying

Oblivion: Hell gates

Fallout 3: Train tunnels, same stuff repeated over and over

Zelda OoT: Jabu Jabu's belly, carrying around that annoying fish princess

Enter The Matrix: the driving sections where you're Ghost and Naobi drives into EVERYTHING, and continually crashes, only way you can pass the level is by repeating until the computer stops ****ing up, horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Homeworld 2: The fourth mission. That was so much bull**** it's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The library in Killzone2 where you fight Radec, still haven't completed it >_>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Agree on the Force Unleashed - everytime you begin to enjoy the game as they throw masses of stupid stormtroopers at you, they throw in an idiotic boss battle. And then along comes the Star Destroyer, which through some puzzling reason managed to get through playtesting despite being possibly the most flawed boss battle to ever make it into a game.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - how many times I have complained about the fricking spinning wheel section in Ready Steady Go? Too many to count. One of my favourite games, but one I am destined to never complete because my wrist joints are unable to do 360 degree rotations at the speed needed to encourage the population of the world to shout at a giant asteroid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Any water level in any platform game ever.

Just think of mario, donkey kong or zelda. All dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

tman wrote: »
    Halo 3 - the ****ing flood level... I'm still angry about it 3 years on!!!
    Oh the flood on legendary.. What aload of balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

MGS2, carrying Otacons sister through the flooded building. Ugh!
    Final Fantasy 8, the backstory section in Edea's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

Its been said before but I'll say it again; the zombie nazi creature in Uncharted. Virtually perfect game up until that point...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The bit where Sniper Wolf is luring you by shooting Meryl in MGS on the playstation.

You call Otacon and go "Gimme the sniper!", and he gets all p*ssy (cos, bawwww, he's in lurrrrve). So you have to backtrack through those annoying wolves all the way to the armoury. Grrrr.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - how many times I have complained about the fricking spinning wheel section in Ready Steady Go? Too many to count. One of my favourite games, but one I am destined to never complete because my wrist joints are unable to do 360 degree rotations at the speed needed to encourage the population of the world to shout at a giant asteroid.

It was the 30 second unskippable opening that drove me insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The Final Bosses in Gears 1 & Uncharted 2 hated both & never finished either.Another thing thats awful is in Pokemon games when you come across a Miltank or a Kingdra that is as hard as any legendary you get crushed then about 8 hours of Grinding means you can come back and destroy it,never worth the payoff.I imagine thats in a lot of RPG's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Any "puzzle" type sections of a game with random encounters.

The Temple of the Ancients one OP mentioned is a great example, it's so annoying to be working on solving some puzzle (even a simple one), then get forced into a battle and forget what you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Again with The Force Unleashed, was on the night mission on Kashykk, now I have seen the main guy pull a Star Destroyer out of low orbit in videos, but can the prick pull a sniper off a perch or even just his gun???

He can in his ****, that would make the boss fight with the AT-ST too easy....

I just gave up there, have not touched the game for almost half a year due to anger induced headaches playing the PoS game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I agree with all the oblivion comments. What were they thinking with the 50 gates or whatever (I know you don't have to do all of them, but they're hard to avoid).
    Fallout 3: Train tunnels, same stuff repeated over and over

I was going to say that earlier. I spent a day or two just doing all the tunnels so I could get them out of the way and enjoy the rest of the game.
    Dacelonid wrote: »

That was the good part when it's actually useful. They couldn't even get a shot in. I didn't like the sections following when you first get it and there's no ammo around so you have to use it.

Ones that I found annoying- Command & Conquer missions where you get a handful of soldiers and have to survive your way across the map and break into some fortified base in limited time.

Any 'protect this person', or 'hold this position' section of any game ever.

I just spent 5 hours bringing doom to legions upon legions of enemies and now you want me to keep a scientist alive when he's made out of paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Any 'protect this person', or 'hold this position' section of any game ever.

I just spent 5 hours bringing doom to legions upon legions of enemies and now you want me to keep a scientist alive when he's made out of paper!

Control Centre in Goldeneye springs to mind.

Train level in Mischeif Makers....seriously wtf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Any.. ANY level that you have to swim... always get lost and die. And the Flood levels in the Halo games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Anything that involves constant grinding really annoys me. Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows is a prime example of this.

Kill ten enimies.
    Now kill twenty enimies.
    Now fifty.
    Now one hundred.
    Still ain't had enough? Kill one hundred and fifty then.
    Got all that done? Ok then, same craic again, except this time rescue civilians instead...

Each time the counter is reset when you reach the amount requested, so your kilsl/ resues are not carrying over to the next fifty. Instead you are starting again from zero each time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement