Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most memorable bet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Just after the Ahern/Kenny debate I got 400 on Ahern to be next Toiseach at 7/4.

Even better was when I got 60 on Brazil vs England in the WC... bet was Eng would score first and Brazil would win in 90 mins. Had to ring a load of bookies to find one to lay that bet... Got 18/1.

Also in 2008 there was a huge misprice in the Big Brother eviction market one week. Basically the bookies hadn't adjusted for the fact that the public were voting to "save" not evict, so instead of the least popular getting the boot, the least interesting would. Got some on my choice (Hira if I recall correctly) at 7/1 and 6/1, and another lumpy bet at 3/1. Bookies adjusted on Friday and she flopped around evens, eventually going off at 1/2 when market closed. Didn't even hedge it it was such a lock on dead solid cert. Winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

zanyetta in the breeders cup last year, i had a small fortune on her and she obliged

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

£10 on France to beat Brazil in the 1998 World Cup Final. My first bet in the bookies

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭colly54

€2 e/w on Mon Mome 100/1 for the Grand National.. :p

Quality Horse....

Had him in the gold cup also and he made me a god profit for getting placed

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

colly54 wrote: »
    €2 e/w on Mon Mome 100/1 for the Grand National.. :p

Quality Horse....
    had him in the gold cup also and he made me a god profit for getting placed

Had €15 win @ 180/1 on betfair. Also backed him each way in the Gold Cup.
    I read Patrick Vietch's book (hes known as Britains most feared horse-racing gambler). He pointed out that the Gold Cup is a stayers race, not a sprint. Grand National winners have a solid record in the Gold Cup.
    He lumped on Hedgehunter when he finished second in 2007.
    Bear it in mind come March ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

My fav football bet was during Euro 2004, i €5 e/w on Milan Baros as top scorer at 45/1 . They were in a soft group with Latvia & 2 other weakish randomers afaik & fancied them to get a lot of goals , was torn between Koller & Baros but thankfully chose Baros in the end .
    Im also quite proud of the fact that i have backed the winners of the last 3 major International tournaments - Italy (2006), Spain (2008,2010) :o

My most memorable bet on the horses was when i was pissed some random Saturday & put €5e/w on a horse called Sand n Sea at Lingfield ( I think ). He romped home at 25/1 & the next round was on me. No skill in that bet whatsoever but was memorable purely for the stick i got for backing him in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Neither of these were mine, but of an acquaintance and I always think of them when memorable bets come up.

In 1994 Man Utd won the treble in England and at the start of the 94/95 season a local independent bookie offered 33/1 on Utd to win nothing that season. He bet IR£100. I was in his company for the final match of the season v West Ham when Utd needed to win and threw the kitchen sink at them but only drew. I swear he never batted an eyelid during the match (probably cos the Cup Final still had to come - which they lost).

Then the same guy in 1998 early in the year put IR£100 on a double of Galway to win the All-Ireland football and France to win the World Cup. It returned over IR£6k.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

not much of a gambler myself - grand national, the odd football match, etc... A couple of years ago I lived with a guy who would visit the bookies regularly - anyway he was telling me about betting on the national lottery so one saturday I was walking over to the local spar for a breakfast roll when i decided to call into the local bookmakers. i filled out the slip picking 3 numbers from 6 at odds of 450/1 and at the bottom of the slip it saiid minimum bet 2euro so I went up wth my 2euro but was informed they bet would cost 6euro cos I was betting on the 3draws (I'm a novice) so I placed it anyway.

Anyway my 3 numbers came up, went across the next weekend to collect my 900euro - sweet - beginners luck!! that was about 8 years ago, have a few wins since, one of 700euro and a few in around the 300euro mark. must do it this weekend again now that i think about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ferdyfish

2006 champion hurdle TRICAST
    brave inca 7/4 to beat macs joy 13/2 to beat hardy eustace 13/2
    50bars paid 51/1 i think

the other bets i liked that year because these were free 5er bets in the herald... i won a forecast when no.sixvalverde won the national, was a free 350 or thereabouts. and another free 5er forcast bet from the herald for 450 that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Hoki wrote: »
    My fav football bet was during Euro 2004, i €5 e/w on Milan Baros as top scorer at 45/1 . They were in a soft group with Latvia & 2 other weakish randomers afaik & fancied them to get a lot of goals , was torn between Koller & Baros but thankfully chose Baros in the end .
    Im also quite proud of the fact that i have backed the winners of the last 3 major International tournaments - Italy (2006), Spain (2008,2010) :o

My most memorable bet on the horses was when i was pissed some random Saturday & put €5e/w on a horse called Sand n Sea at Lingfield ( I think ). He romped home at 25/1 & the next round was on me. No skill in that bet whatsoever but was memorable purely for the stick i got for backing him in the first place!

germany & holland..?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

padzer wrote: »
    Ryder cup 2008, there were 8 matches on the first day, with the tie in each priced at around the 6/1 mark. A few of us did 56x50c trebles, which meant if there were 3 ties wed get about €170 each and if there were any more we would be up a stack.

Indeed there was 3 ties and when i went to collect the following day yer woman in the shop paid me for 4, took over €700! The other lads collected the same in different shops, it was unreal.

Did the same bet on the saturday, 3 draws came in and we got paid around €170. But il never forget Jim Furyk missed a 5 foot putt on the last which would have us hit the jackpot again.

Needless to say il be doing the same bet in a few weeks time.

How do you write that out on the betting slips, wouldn't mind giving it a go myself

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Crowie13

There have been a few but my favorite was back in 2007, my father had just passed away a few months previously so think it was around March and was out having a few drinks and a couple of bets. Walked in the bookies and seen this horse called Diamond Harry, Harry being my fathers name I thought it was worth a fiver on it. It romped home at 33/1 and has won me a few more quid since and so have a few more Harry's though there is too many of them that haven't in the last year or so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

megadodge wrote: »
    Neither of these were mine, but of an acquaintance and I always think of them when memorable bets come up.

In 1994 Man Utd won the treble in England and at the start of the 94/95 season a local independent bookie offered 33/1 on Utd to win nothing that season. He bet IR£100. I was in his company for the final match of the season v West Ham when Utd needed to win and threw the kitchen sink at them but only drew. I swear he never batted an eyelid during the match (probably cos the Cup Final still had to come - which they lost).

Then the same guy in 1998 early in the year put IR£100 on a double of Galway to win the All-Ireland football and France to win the World Cup. It returned over IR£6k.

That Independent bookie is hardly in business offering prics like that :)

BTW man Utd won double not the treble, Villa beat them in League cup.

My most Memorable bet would be Hardy Eustance winning his first Champion Hurdle at 33/1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Last season I got 6/1 for Milan to beat Real Madrid in the champions league, crazy odds but i talked myself out of betting big on it, think I put £20 on. Dida let in an absolute howler and I thought it was game over, nearly threw away my slip. Milan ended up winning, scoring the winner right at the end. No way should they have been 6/1

Also had Forlan for top goalscorer @66/1 in the world cup, he hit the bar with the last kick of the 3rd/4th place game, if only it had of went in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Last season I got 6/1 for Milan to beat Real Madrid in the champions league, crazy odds but i talked myself out of betting big on it, think I put £20 on. Dida let in an absolute howler and I thought it was game over, nearly threw away my slip. Milan ended up winning, scoring the winner right at the end. No way should they have been 6/1

Also had Forlan for top goalscorer @66/1 in the world cup, he hit the bar with the last kick of the 3rd/4th place game, if only it had of went in

Did you get 1/4 the odds for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

yeah had him each way so 1/4 for the joint winner and 1//4 so the place so ended up getting the same for both, even at 1/4 odds it worked out at almost 17/1

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

I was on this one too. Doubled with Lyon to beat Liverpool the night before. Tenner on it at 33/1, sure it would be rude not to! Dancing around the pub when Pato knocked in the winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

padzer wrote: »
    Ryder cup 2008, there were 8 matches on the first day, with the tie in each priced at around the 6/1 mark. A few of us did 56x50c trebles, which meant if there were 3 ties wed get about €170 each and if there were any more we would be up a stack.

Indeed there was 3 ties and when i went to collect the following day yer woman in the shop paid me for 4, took over €700! The other lads collected the same in different shops, it was unreal.

Did the same bet on the saturday, 3 draws came in and we got paid around €170. But il never forget Jim Furyk missed a 5 foot putt on the last which would have us hit the jackpot again.

Needless to say il be doing the same bet in a few weeks time.

I wanted to take a look at this? How does it work? As I see it, you won't get markets on the afternoon games until after the morning games because the pairings won't get named?

PP is offering only 9/2 on the tie in any case so maybe not even worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

oconnon9 wrote: »
    germany & holland..?? :rolleyes:

Ooh i made a meaningless mistake in a nostalgia thread because i didn't use google like you just have, cop the f*** on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Most memoable win was probably just before Christmas last year. Roselare were bottom of the Belgian Pro League and shipping goals left, right and center. In the four weeks leading up to the bet, I had been studying the handicap betting against them and had won 2 out of 3 bets, deciding the odds weren't good enough the final week. They were away to league leaders Standard Liege the weekend after Liege had got knocked out of the Champions league. I put 100 down on Roselare to win at better than 17/1 on Betfair. They won 0-1 and I probably wiped out a lot of people's hard won profit :D

Most memorable loss was 10 years ago at this stage. I opened up a ladbrokes.co.uk account and put 5 sterling on a 10 match accumulator on the premiership. It included at least three draws and must have had some unlikely outcomes because the payout would have been over 32K sterling....... if Leicester hadn't equalised from an offside position in injury time from a corner that shouldn't have been given. ****ing ref........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Hoki wrote: »

this brings back bad memories for me and a mate

i recall having 2eu ew on baros to be top scorer at 50s
    and had a fiver on czech/baros top scorer at 200s with
    a local in galway.
    I'll never forget both of us leaving work to watch the
    czech/greek semis and wondering how czech didn't
    win the match in normal time.
    It was the most sickening feeling of all time given how
    they dominated that match and i was planning to lay
    off half the bet when they met portugal in the final
    never even considering them losing the semis especially
    how well they were playing up to and including during
    that match.
    I'd have fancied them to beat portugal also and even
    stuck 2 euro on the greece 1-0/charisteas at 40s in
    the final but it didn't soften the blow of the semis one bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MegaAwesomeOne

I had Bendtner first goal in the Arsenal v Porto game a few months back. He ended up getting a hat-trick. When I went to collect the money the next day, I decided to stick a tenner on Rooney first goal, can't remember who against (think it may have been AC Milan) and he scored 2. When I collected the winning from that they said I got double the odds because he scored 2 and when I mentioned I had Bendtner the day before and he scored a hat-trick they gave me the extra money they should have payed out earlier. I came out with about €70 more than I thought :D

As for my worst, it wasn't really a bet. I was at Arsenal v Wigan last season and after getting Vermaelen on my shirt I thought I'd back him first goal at 25/1. Had £10 on the slip before I thought ''Nah, centre back will never get the first, I'l do RvP instead''. Checked the odds for correct score, 4-0 at 18/1, put it down and thought ''Nah, I can see Rodallega scoring one'', so I threw it away. What happens next ? Vermaelen bang in the first and we go on to win 4-0 and I leave the Grove -£10 instead of +£450.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

2 of my most memorable long-term bets, as documented on this forum:

Portsmouth to be relegated @ 5/1 08/09 season:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623113

Phillies to win the National League 2010 @ 9/1:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67089758&postcount=9

The first one was a thread so there was already a good few responses there. The second was a post in my failure of a betting log thread (I'll do it properly next season), so apologies if most people missed it.

So Phillies are now in the final of the NL and are heavy favourites. Best price for them now is 19/50, I tipped 9/1 in July. And they're playing the Giants who you can get at 5/2, so I can have a bit on them to lay off my stake at least (I had 10pts on it but won't post the amount as I didn't state it initially)

As nice as it was for the Portsmouth one to come off after my long explanation at the start of the season, I think the second one is going to be more memorable if Phillies win next week. You can follow any sport you like, but I think that Baseball requires the most effort to find value. So if you find a 9/1 single bet in baseball that comes up, I think that's huge.

It's my favourite sport by far. If you don't have a set system or are just having a flutter, it's difficult to get value. But put in the effort and it's very very satisfying when bets come off! Incidentally, I will properly maintain my baseball betting log next year from March as I will have regular internet. Basically I spend a lot of the offseason (Mainly Jan-Mar) studying statistics for my fantasy baseball team (I don't know if you guys ever played but it's taken way more seriously than fantasy football or the like, I know I'm a nerd but it requires a lot of research). So hopefully come March I will have my 15 or so pitchers to follow with my doubles first 5-innings betting system and hopefully research a couple of other areas which might become profitable (a lot of people like overs/unders so I've already planned to look into that a little)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

I was a lurker back when you tipped portsmouth and I lumped, fair play, tried my best to repeat a similar feat on this forum this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

My most memorable bet was when I was 18. Was working beside a bookies. Started betting on three numbers in the Lotto, just a euro on each draw. Second week in I won. Was heading on a piss-up to Spain the week after so it was greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

had just cashed out of a poker game in australia and was heading for the door . found $15 in chips in my back pocket. threw it down on roulette number 18 and it hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

€5 yankee all winners returned 6500. €1 Lucky 15 3 winners 4/1,33/1,12/1 with the last one beat into 3rd for approx €39k. 20 x 1€ trebles first 3 up at 16/1,12/1,10/1 but the final 3 all beat at between 8/1 and 33/1, over 2k for the one treble that one but still overall disappointing.

Despite all the above I am still way down over the years and cant make it pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

My one or should I say two are from the world cup , I had 150 on Spain @ 4.4 from the start of the world cup to win 510 and it was the semi-final against Germany and I was worried about it as Germany were playing very well up to the semi's but I was looking at the first goal in the semi and puyol was at 90 on betfair so I put my last 8 euro on it. He had a free header in the first half that he should have score but when he put that header in from the corner in the second half I was jumping around the pub 712 euro back and then Spain went on to win the world cup next week for another 510.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 stella09

first ever win Hardy Eustace in the royal & sun alliance in cheltenham the yr after his jockey was killed (kieran kelly), Conor O'Dwyer rode him home with a fantastic price of 33/1 had meself 20 e/w
    Then my OH got a ridiculous bet up world cup jus gone he picked out the qualifiers he had 6.97 left on his pp acc put it on i remember watchin the last game nearly gettin sick!!! It came through n he got 5.5k :D:D:D

Sweeet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

first and only time i got a yankee up - had bunked off school for the afternoon. Was around 1986 colleced £99 for a 10p yankee.

biggest win was €300 on Drogheda United to win the league at 6/1. Ladbrokes had shels as 11/8 favs when the dogs in the street knew they wouldn't even be in the premier division.

had a nice touch lately on juventus to beat shamorck rovers. Paddy Power had pre match odds still available after the first goal was scored.

Advertisement