Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely Devastated with today

Options
  • 18-08-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

anyone else here the same?
    got 320 :( and i am NOT happy. as youve seen ive been asking about repeating here all summer. but nothing could prepare me for the shock of 320 :mad: i passed maths which i was delighted with, however when i calculated, i was devastated. im sure, 320 is great for some. dont get me wrong. but its not enough for my choices .......now i dunno what to do with myself.
    Repeat?
    Take a level 7 and more than likely drop out?
    PLC?
    Keep going with cadet comp?
    Mature student?

i feel like the only one in the country that has failed? and ive lied to my friends on top of it. how sad !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    got 320 :( and i am NOT happy. as youve seen ive been asking about repeating here all summer. but nothing could prepare me for the shock of 320 :mad: i passed maths which i was delighted with, however when i calculated, i was devastated. im sure, 320 is great for some. dont get me wrong. but its not enough for my choices .......now i dunno what to do with myself.
    Repeat?
    PLC?
    Mature student?

i feel like the only one in the country that has failed?

<shnip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

probably

wow thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

probably

omg lmao

why would you drop out of a level 6/7, if you do good enuf im sure you could move up to level 8 after you've done he 2/3 years ( i think)

what did you tell ur friends you got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Renly

Repeat?
    PLC?
    Mature student?

i feel like the only one in the country that has failed? and ive lied to my friends on top of it. how sad !

i feel the same. I didnt get anywhere near what i needed to get :(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

probably

Give the OP a break. Best thing to do is talk with someone close to you so that you get over the initial shock. Then try arrange a meeting with your school principle or career guidance teacher to see what options are available to you. It may be that one of the courses on your CAO may come through. I have been there (many years ago) and ended up repeating the year but I understand how you feel now. Things will feel better as the day goes on and you start to realise that there are options for you.

Hope everything works out for you and chin up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

First off, it's NOT the end of the world :)
    Secondly, take some time to get over this. You got 320 points, not 0 points. You didn't fail, you simply didn't get as many points as you wanted/needed :)

Had I got the points I wanted from my LC I'd never have gone to NUIM and had that not happened I'd have never met my wife, nor would I have my beautiful daughter. I also probably wouldn't have done a PhD nor be Director of my own department at work :)

So not getting what you wanted initially does not mean life stops. It may mean that you end up being very happy in life!

For now, step back a bit and relax. Then take time to realistically examine the reasons why you didn't do as well as you wanted to. Was it that you didn't study the right material? Was it that you didn't read some of the questions properly and answered them incorrectly? There could be any number of reasons. You don't need to account for them here but have a think yourself about it :)

Trust me when I say that repeating a year is no big deal. I had to repeat my first year in NUIM, having failed miserably the first time around :) I know it's devastating now but in years to come it may not matter one bit to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I am also gutted. I didn't get what I needed and I now have to send in 3 appeals.

tbh, im mortified.

i got on great academically :mad: ive lied to make myself look decent. im so ashamed. drinking session? a good crying session for me. jesus, everyone is after getting great points : here and facebook!!!! and ive got nothing.....

i worked. i really did. the only good thing is i got D1 in maths and B2 in HL eng.......the grades are grand. the points are pure ****e......
    i cant celebrate. watch everyone else go on about how they got 400 this 500 that....i wanna die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Secondly, take some time to get over this. You got 320 points, not 0 points. You didn't fail, you simply didn't get as many points as you wanted/needed :)

Had I got the points I wanted from my LC I'd never have gone to NUIM and had that not happened I'd have never met my current wife, nor would I have my beautiful daughter. I also probably wouldn't have done a PhD nor be Director of my own department at work :)

So not getting what you wanted initially does not mean life stops. It may mean that you end up being very happy in life!

For now, step back a bit and relax. Then take time to realistically examine the reasons why you didn't do as well as you wanted to. Was it that you didn't study the right material? Was it that you didn't read some of the questions properly and answered them incorrectly? There could be any number of reasons. You don't need to account for them here but have a think yourself about it :)

Trust me when I say that repeating a year is no big deal. I had to repeat my first year in NUIM, having failed miserably the first time around :) I know it's devastating now but in years to come it may not matter one bit to you.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

I'm in the same boat... I got 400 which is fine but i needed alot more, cried my eyes out this morning... the worst thing was people ringing me, they were like 400?! oh....
    Got a D1 in HL irish after getting a C1 in the mocks and after getting grinds, I need a C3 for my 2nd and 3rd choices :( and a C1 in HL English after getting a B1 in the mocks :( going to appeal them me thinks....
    I don't want to repeat, was thinking of a plc but does anyone know of any plc's that will get you into optometry? or any backdoors into it? thanks

• Advertisement

yes it is! my perception on everything is questionable.
    my atitude towards people in my year. such as, assuming id do better then the class clown...he got 500
    i assumed i was gonna be great and go to uni.
    now what.........i have to repeat :mad:

some people glide through. and so far - im not one of um

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Had I got the points I wanted from my LC I'd never have gone to NUIM and had that not happened I'd have never met my current wife, nor would I have my beautiful daughter. I also probably wouldn't have done a PhD nor be Director of my own department at work :)

No need to read any further this is the best advice I've read. It's very tough and I've friends today who didn't get what they wanted. Fortunately I'm happy but don't worry too much. Look at your CAO on Monday and decide if there is any course there you want to do.

Don't turn your nose at a level 6 or 7.

What is it you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

dont worry it may seem like the end of the world but its not!!! i think you should repeat, one year will fly by, maybe even take up a few new subjects.

Ive been applying to cao since 2005 and have never got what i wanted and i know it is so depressing. Im 24 now and going back to college this year, you might think im old but im so delighted to be going into a course I finally want & not just doing sumting for the sack of it. I did biology LC this yr and it was the best thing i ever did, i remember thinkin will i do it or not, no regrets!! if i could do it all again i would have repeated dropped my languages and taken up 2 other subjects.

You seem to know what u want in life so go 4 it whats another year?? you dont want to be in a job you dont like for the rest of your life just because you opted fot a course your not happy with. Keep focussed on wer u wana go in life and youll do great, who cares if it takes a little longer, you only live once :)

the cadets is a great little number also, great perks in that job!!

Best of luck in watever route you chose.

What is it you want to do?

nursing or the arts.
    fat chance.

my teachers are prob wondering wat happened. and so am i!!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Scarlet 27

Hi, Im so sorry you did not get the points you wanted, the same thing happened to me when I did the LC, I knew what I wanted to do, so I repeated and thankfully got 200 points more the second time round, but it is a tough year (hard when all your friends are in college having a great time and you are stuck in school) and you have to be very dedicated I repeated with 6 other people and I am the only one who got the course I wanted in Ireland (but none of them did the work and two ended up applying under UCAS), but if you are sure what you want to do then repeating is a good option.

If the economy was better I would suggest taking a year out and trying to get work experience, earn some money and go travelling and apply on UCAS the English system. I applied to England when I repeated just to keep my options open and was offered a guaranteed place based on the results from my first LC. Either way if you take a year out or repeat it might be worth trying to apply there.

I am now working in the field I wanted and the majority of people who work in the field did not do their primary degree in the area at all and it has not held them back one bit, so I know it prob doesn't make you feel any better right now but try exploring ways around getting into your field there are back doors into nearly every profession nowadays which require a lot less points.

Sorry I know this is a long post but just remembered one of my friends who I repeated didn't get the points the second time around and had not applied to UCAS but she rang up a few colleges in scotland (ended up getting into abertay) and got onto her course there she was a good 200 points off her course here but they still accepted her if you would consider heading to Scotland might be worth a try ringing the colleges directly (do it today check what colleges do the course you want and ring them directly - prob best to avoid well known colleges as more likely to be full) and see if any places left (not sure when A level results are out). It might be a long shot and depends very much on what course you wanted to do, but if you dont want to repeat etc it is worth a try.

Anyway I hope some of this helps, please try not be to down hearted it will work it self out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Firstly, youre not the only one. The only people who tell the truth about how they did are the ones who did well, so you wont find many admitting that they are in the same position as you.
    Have a chat with your Guidance Counsellor if hes any use or your Principal. Dont look for advice from friends, they will be full of cliches and just say "repeat, youll be grand".
    Also, view your scripts with a few teachers, it wint do any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Arts is 395 in Mary I and I'm not sure about nursing. 320 to 400 isn't a huge jump, it may seem like it now. But I went up 90 points today from my pres. You just need to be focused.

If you repeat you will know exactly what you have to do. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

380 myself.

Repeating looks likely but I have what I want, if I want it.

still though, the parent aren't happy :(

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Hard luck man. All these happy people are annoying but fair play to them.

I was around 40 points below what I wanted. Abolutely gutted, rips the life out of ya for a few minutes.

Probly wont get anything I wanted, might have to repeat. Worst is I done my best, I'm not the sort of lad that will repeat next year and do alot better, I just know it and I will **** it next year if I do repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

LC2010HIS, very sorry to hear this. Hope something works out one way or another for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Sickened. Not really enjoying the sympathy I'm getting from my family either, making it worse.
    Hopefully I'll get CS.

Even though I'll probably repeat cause my results are shocking for me. It sucks too when you see people who are clearly not better than you at certain things do better. But thats life. Best move on from it, no need to be sad or angry.
    We are all still young, still plenty of time left for anything we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

First thing to do is to fill out the form to view your scripts. You may be able to pick up a few extra points. Even if you decide not to appeal anything, if you do decide to repeat it's invaluable to know where you went wrong last time.

Don't just take any course you get offered, better to spend an extra year getting what you want than to go into something you'll hate. But don't disregard the offers either, if you didn't do it before research the level 7 courses now, look at the college website etc. you may be surprised to find out that you like the course. And of course it's possible to get a higher degree through a level 7, it'll take an extra year but it may be worth it.

Take it from a repeat, messing up your leaving is not the end of the world. It's tough right now but you have several options and some time to think it all over. And no matter what your results you're not a failure, this is just a set back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Doocey wrote: »
    380 myself.

Repeating looks likely but I have what I want, if I want it.

still though, the parent aren't happy :(

It's YOUR life - not your parents (and I am a 50 year-old parent of three adult children, all of who completed their LC and did quite well - but who also have three completely diverse outlooks and career choices).

While I appreciate that your parents will fund 3rd level, you should talk to them - honestly - about how you feel. Are the courses desired by your parents the one you chose yourself?

Good luck in your life. Above all be happy.

And it is NOT the end of the world. Don't forget that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

It depends how high you set your CAO choices...

For 320 you could get a Computing, cooking, business, arts course in a decent college....

Its an average score which means theers many door open for you ESPECIALLY because you passed maths.

1 /10 failed maths....

theres something to feel good about. If your out this evening, look around at groups of people and just think about it. You'll fell better.

Also my advice is to stay off internet forums for a while...
    Your gonna see nothing but people talking about how they got 500+ which is just annoying if your not happy with your result...

Chin up bro! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Freddie59 wrote: »
    It's YOUR life - not your parents (and I am a 50 year-old parent of three adult children, all of who completed their LC and did quite well - but who also have three completely diverse outlooks and career choices).

While I appreciate that your parents will fund 3rd level, you should talk to them - honestly - about how you feel. Are the courses desired by your parents the one you chose yourself?

Good luck in your life. Above all be happy.

And it is NOT the end of the world. Don't forget that.:)

Cheers for that.
    When i say they're not happy, they just expected more, the 400 mark.
    ****ing 20 points off like? :confused:

Couldn't really get over their reaction when I said 380, thought they'd be happy enough. :(

Ah well, being perfectly honest, and ever the optimist, tomorrow will come, and before no time it'll the 2011 LC's waiting for their results.! (Which could be me! :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

same here... got 290 but kinda happy i passed and got a c2 in english(honours) my worst subject... so all the same im happy and if i dont get a college course monday im going take a year out and relax so op no bother just accept what you have gotten everything happens for a reason :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Renly

Sickened. Not really enjoying the sympathy I'm getting from my family either, making it worse.
    Hopefully I'll get CS.

Even though I'll probably repeat cause my results are shocking for me. It sucks too when you see people who are clearly not better than you at certain things do better. But thats life. Best move on from it, no need to be sad or angry.
    We are all still young, still plenty of time left for anything we want.

the sympathy is the worst part >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

You poor thing - I know right now it feels like the end of the world. But it's not. Unfortunately I know anything we say to you now, from our years of experience, you will snub because of where you are now in your life.

I failed two subjects in my leaving cert and didn't fair too well in the rest.
    I did a PLC course and get a job from that.............. it opened doors to me that I never would have contemplated before.
    I since went on and did evening courses, at my leisure and because I WANTED TO and have two diplomas and a degree.

My sister who only recently did hers, 2-3 years ago, did not do anywhere near as well as she wanted. We worried for weeks as she went into the depths of depression and we we concerned that she might do something "stupid" But she is now in her final year of college and doesn't spare a second thought about the Leaving cert.

So - the long and short of it is that you are not a failure, your results do not define you. You got asked the wrong questions, felt dodgy on the day, were apprehensive... what ever...... but you do have options.
    PLC courses are not as disastrous as it may sound.
    Repeat if you feel that is the best course of action for you

But BELIEVE me when I tell you if you DO NOT LET THIS GET THE BETTER OF YOU, in years to come this will all be a distant memory and you'll wonder why you were so upset!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm coming in very late to these results threads but OP there is always a back door into college. PLC courses etc.

It really isn't the end of the world. Don't worry about it. You did your best and that's all you can do.

That goes for everyone getting their results today. The leaving cert is not and I can't stress that enough, NOT the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

Repeat?
    PLC?
    Mature student?

I thought it was just me...God I am so depressed. LC '11 here I come...:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement