Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Monday May 24th: Heavy Bench (volume week 6 of 6) & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press (to failure @6reps)
    20kg - 1x6
    50kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    83.5kg - 1x5f, 1x3, 1x3f ... *target 3x6*
    90kg - 3x3 all with lots of spotter help ...*target forced reps 3x3*
    ---
    DB Bench Press (to failure @6reps)
    32.5kg per arm - 1x4f, 1x3, 1x2 ...*target 3x6*
    ---
    DB Overhead Press (to failure @6 reps: seated, to rear, little finger higher than thumb)
    20kg per arm - cannot remember... maybe 6, 6, 5f? ...*target 3x6*
    ---
    Deadlift
    40kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    85kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x6
    65kg - 1x5
    85kg - 1x3
    100kg - 3x6 ... sets across pb. Vids of these. Handy enough. First was toughest
    ---
    EZ Curl
    EZ bar - 1x6
    EZ bar + 20kg - 3x6

EZ Lying Tricep Extension
    EZ bar - 1x6
    EZ bar + 20kg - 2x6
    ---

Took ages tonight: 7:30pm to 10pm. Weighed 82.6kg on the gym scales - heaviest ever. Finally broke 13 stone! A lot of water in there.

Thankfully tonight was the 6th and final week of my bench slaughter programme. Last week and this week were woeful bench-wise. I had been warned to expect this due to fatigue creeping in. Next week is back to 3x5s starting at 80kg with less overall assistance. Bench strength should return in a couple of weeks. Let's see.

Squat was easy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

BossArky wrote: »

Squat
    100kg - 3x6 ... sets across pb. Vids of these. Handy enough. First was toughest

Tuesday May 26th:

Shoulder Dislocates (band)
    2x10

Pull Apart (band)
    2x10
    ---

Shoulders are a bit sore from all the benching. Not DOMS sore... but sore sore. If I get some time I'll try to get some extra rows/facepulls/light swimming in over the next few days.

Wednesday May 26th: @home

Lots of light stuff with a 2kg DB handle (yes a handle)
    • External Rotation - 3x10
    • One Arm Shoulder Press - 2x10
    • One Arm Tricep Extension - 2x10
    • One Arm Row - 2x10
    • One Arm Laterial Raise - 2x10
    ---
    Foam Rolling
    ~10 mins
    ---
    Did a lot of light things to get some blood flowing and aid upper body.

Chopped the foam roller in half. It was totally squashed in the middle. Now I've got 2 shorter ones which are slight thicker at one end. They work fine and feel easier to manoeuvre.

Thursday May 27th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x6
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    50kg - 3x6

Lying Twist
    1x4 ... no weight
    2x4 ... with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x2
    140kg - 3x5 ... equals sets across pb from last cycle. Got a video
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise
    2x10 ... vid of the 1st set to see if I'm doing them correctly
    1x6

Pull Ups
    bodyweight + 3.3kg ball between ankles - 3x6 ... stopping dead on the ground between reps
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    50kg - 1x2
    60kg - 3x5

Steep Decline Sit Ups
    3x10
    ---

140kg 3x5 was easier today than last cycle where my 3x5s peaked at that weight. I've got another two weeks of 3x5 increases to look forward to: 144kg, then 147kg, before something like 155kg 2x2.

The reps got progressively worse as the sets went on. Need to keep the bar closer to shins and not get pulled forward.

Bodyweight 82.85kg on gym scales.

• Advertisement

Deadlift
    140kg - 3x5 ... equals sets across pb from last cycle. Got a video

Glute Ham Raise
    2x10 ... vid of the 1st set to see if I'm doing them correctly
    1x6

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No expert but are you lifting with yourback a bit too much in your last DL set? Great lifting though.

Saturday May 29th:

Bike (outdoors) 7.3km

Sunday March 30th:

External Rotation
    2kg - 3x10

Foam Rolling ~5mins

Monday March 31st: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 3x5 ... alright. Got vids of 2nd & 3rd sets
    ---
    DB Bench Press
    32.5kg per arm - 1x5 ... wasn't supposed to do this. Should have read programme
    22.5kg per arm - 2x10 ... @~80%. Easy
    ---
    EZ Curl
    EZ bar - 1x10
    EZ bar + 20kg - 2x10

EZ bar + 20kg - 1x10
    ---
    Deadlift
    40kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    75kg - 1x2
    85kg - 3x5 ... ooouch shins
    ---
    Squat
    40kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x2
    104kg - 3x5 ... vids of these. Not strenuous
    ---

Good session. Glad to be back on just 3x5 bench. Tendons were taking a beating over the past 6 weeks.

Squat feels really strong. Think I'm being conservative here, which is fine. Slow progress is progress anyway.

83.05kg on the gym scales at the start :pac: Down to 82.5kg 2.5 hours later. Packing it on. Felt kinda bloated today during work.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote: »
    No expert but are you lifting with yourback a bit too much in your last DL set? Great lifting though.

Yeah, those 3x5s were right near my limit. Need to be careful and focus a lot on form. Cheers.

Bench Press
    80kg - 3x5 ... alright. Got vids of 2nd & 3rd sets

Squat
    104kg - 3x5 ... vids of these. Not strenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

your backs rounding a lot at the bottom boss, any thoughts about widening your stance?

Thursday June 3rd: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    50kg - 1x2
    60kg - 3x5

Lying Twist
    1x4 ... no weight
    2x3 ... with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    110kg - 1x3
    130kg - 1x2
    *belt*
    144kg - 3x5 ... sets across pb. Video later
    ---
    Pull Ups
    bodyweight - 2x10 ... as follows 10, 4, 4, 2

Steep Decline Sit Ups
    2x10

Glute Ham Raise
    2x10
    ---
    Squat
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    50kg - 1x2
    60kg - 3x5
    ---

Bodyweight 83.3kg right before deadlifts. Down to 83kg 90 minutes later.

The set of 10 pull ups at 83kg bodyweight was pleasing enough considering the deadlift before.

Form was woeful on the first deadlift set. Second and third weren't much better, but felt easier. Used a slightly wider stance on the 2nd set. Shins didn't take much of a beating as I was almost stiff legging them. Nerves :rolleyes:

What I'm loosing on style I'm making up with strength. Definetly stronger than last cycle.

your backs rounding a lot at the bottom boss, any thoughts about widening your stance?

Yeah, and the thoughts are no :D

Feels grand the way it is. Not going to tinker any more as at the business end of the cycle.

Deadlift
    144kg - 3x5 ... sets across pb. Video later

Form was woeful on the first deadlift set. Second and third weren't much better, but felt easier. Used a slightly wider stance on the 2nd set. Shins didn't take much of a beating as I was almost stiff legging them.

Monday June 7th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    81.5kg - 3x5 ... stalled right at the top of the last rep and spotter gave a bit of assistance. Got vids of all 3. Annoyed.
    ---
    DB Bench Press
    25kg per arm - 2x10
    ---
    EZ Curl
    EZ bar + 22.5kg - 2x10

EZ bar + 22.5kg - 2x10 ... heavy
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x4
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x2
    107kg - 3x5 ... sets across pb. Didn't kill me or anything close. Videos later.
    ---

Annoyed with the bench. Happy enough with the squat.

BW 83.3kg at the start, then down to 83kg 2 hours later just after the squats.

Bench Press
    81.5kg - 3x5 ... stalled right at the top of the last rep and spotter gave a bit of assistance. Got vids of all 3. Annoyed.

Squat
    107kg - 3x5 ... sets across pb. Didn't kill me or anything close. Videos later.

Thursday June 10th: Heavy Deadlift, Light Bench & Squat

Close Grip Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    50kg - 1x2
    60kg - 3x5

Lying Twist
    1x4 ... no weight
    2x4 ... with 3.3kg ball between ankles
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    120kg - 1x1
    130kg - 1x1
    *belt*
    147.5kg - 2x5 + 1x4 ... didn't set up properly on very last rep and dropped it. Wasn't a strength issue. Sets across pb. Videos later
    ---
    Squat
    30kg - 1x5
    40kg - 1x3
    50kg - 1x1
    60kg - 3x5
    ---
    Pull Ups ... bit narrower than usual with little ring on rings - usually ring finger
    bodyweight - x8, x6, x4, x2, x1

Decline Sit Ups
    2x10

Glute Ham Raise
    2x10
    ---
    Messing about
    - Military Press - 20kg x10, 30kg x10
    - Ab Wheel ~a few reps
    - EZ overhead press
    - EZ curls
    - One Arm Row - 22.5kg x8
    ---

Bodyweight 83.9kg initially, having drank half a can of pepsi. Down to 83.5kg after deadlifts.

So ends my 3x5's of this deadlift cycle. I wasn't looking forward to them but in the end the 147.5kgs felt no worse the 144kg and 140kg 3x5s of recent weeks.

MIscounted the first set and wasn't sure if I was on four or five but finished it out after a quick query.

Cannot remember the second set.

Third was fine up until the last rep. I had been told that I was waiting too long before the last reps of the first and second sets. On the video you will hear them urging me to hit the 5th rep quickly. I did - but too quickly for my own peace of mind. Setup felt too loose so dropped it. Not a strength issue.

Coming to Australia in January my max deadlift was 150kg. Now less than 5 months later I've brought it up to almost 3x5 at almost that weight. Pleased with that progress. Doubles next week before a deload ahead of the competition.

Steak & bedtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are you fat yet? :D That's great improvements in your lifting across the board since the move.

• Advertisement

Deadlift
    147.5kg - 2x5 + 1x4 ... didn't set up properly on very last rep and dropped it. Wasn't a strength issue. Sets across pb. Videos later

Are you fat yet? :D That's great improvements in your lifting across the board since the move.

Judge for yourself ^^ :)

I've probably gained equal amounts of hunk and chunk. It is interesting to see the effect that training just 2 days a week has had on both strength and bodyweight. Once this competition is out of the way on June 27th I'll add back in some swimming, run some hills and bust out some high intensity fat melters a couple of times a week.

Saturday June 12th: @home

6x10

Pull Apart (band)
    6x10
    ---
    External Rotation
    2kg per arm - 3x10

One Arm DB Row
    10kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Foam Rolling ~5mins

Stretching ~10mins
    ---

Have to train tomorrow instead of the usual Monday, so did the above to loosen up following Thursday.

Sunday June 13th: Heavy Bench & Squat, Light Deadlift

loads & loads

Pull Apart (band)
    loads & loads
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    82.5kg - 1x5, 1x4f, 1x3f ... supposed to be 3x5. Videos later
    ---
    DB Bench Press
    25kg per arm - 2x10 ... easy
    ---
    EZ Curl
    EZ bar + 25kg - 2x10

EZ bar + 20kg - 2x10
    ---
    Deadlift
    30kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    80kg - 1x2
    90kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x3
    90kg - 1x1
    100kg - 1x1
    *belt*
    110kg - 3x5 ... sets across pb. Videos later
    ---
    Face Pulls
    10kg - 1x10
    15kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x10
    25kg - 1x10

Tricep Pushdown (rope)
    15kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x10
    25kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    ---

Had to train in the main gym today which wasn't ideal. Bars are slippery and width notches are not standard powerlifting ones. Bench itself was slippery and too short. Ok, so those are my excuses.

Bench first set grip was too wide. My left chest tendons were sore afterwards.

Second set was woeful. Third was woeful +1.

May skip the light bench next Thursday to give my chest a chance to recover. The tendons are not 100% since the 6 week bench volume programme from a while back.

Squat was fine. Had to use an oly belt which looked like it has been chewed up by a dog. Happy with 110kg 3x5. Major progress there since London's 115kg 1RM.

Bench Press
    82.5kg - 1x5, 1x4f, 1x3f ... supposed to be 3x5. Videos later

Squat
    110kg - 3x5 ... sets across pb. Videos later

Monday June 14th: morning@home

External Rotation
    2kg per arm – 2x10

Monday June 14th: evening@home

External Rotation
    2kg per arm – 2x10
    ---
    Bird dog
    2x10 per side

Tuesday June 15th: morning@home

External Rotation
    2kg per arm – 2x10
    ---
    Bird dog
    2x10 per side
    ---
    2x10
    ---
    Pull Apart (band)
    2x10 per side
    ----

Tuesday June 15th: evening@home

Swimming 400m as follows:
    • 200m bs
    • 200m fc

• Advertisement

Invested in an electronic weighing scales to see what my usual bodyweight is in the morning.

81.4kg Wednesday morning, so well under the 82.5kg category.

Advertisement