Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I have a cousin that smokes rollies. He will break up all the butts in an ashtray if he is at a party and put the recycled tobacco into his tin. If he's walking down the street and sees a large cig butt then he'll pick that up to break it up.
    He never refuses when offered a smoke from someone but never offers one out. (Though few would smoke what he has knowing what it's mixed with)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

galwayrush wrote: »
    Once in a restaurant, 4 people at a table near us, three of them leave a tip at the table on leaving, last person at the table pockets tip without the rest noticing.

i knew a guy who did same, but he would 'offer' to pay with his CC,
    so everybody would pay him the cash+tip - then he'd pay the bill sans tip with his CC .
    Mean C*nt.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I have a cousin that smokes rollies. He will break up all the butts in an ashtray if he is at a party and put the recycled tobacco into his tin. If he's walking down the street and sees a large cig butt then he'll pick that up to break it up.
    He never refuses when offered a smoke from someone but never offers one out. (Though few would smoke what he has knowing what it's mixed with)

That reminded me of one I saw myself recently... I was in a train station in London with one of my friends who smokes, and she wanted a cigarette. We went outside to the smoking area, which is used by a lot of people each day but has no bins (in case of terrorist attack apparently) To my disgust, a man was picking up cigarette butts from the ground and putting them in a bag! He was well-dressed with a briefcase as well... How much tobacco can you really get out of them? Is it worth all the bacteria etc from these cigarettes which have been in some stranger's mouth and on the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

This guy won the lottery a few years ago (Millions). I'm 20 years younger than him, a student (Tins of beans etc.). Anyway, went to for this fortunate lottery winners forth marriage ceremony, on the invite, if you wished to attend it explained that you had to pay for your dinner, 3 Course meal and it stressed that if you did not pay you could not attend, needless to say fúck all people showed up for the afters including myself.

That's only recently, I remember before he wouldn't buy a round in the pub any time I was there. Hate people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

At my husband's work Christmas party a few years ago the waitress came to the table with the last plate saying "medium steak" and setting it down in front of the only guy who hadn't been served. He immediately said, "No, I ordered a large one." He wasn't a bit embarrassed when it was explained to him.

I bumped into the same guy at the vet's surgery one day accompanied by his Rottweiler. When I asked him what was wrong with her he said that he was there for abortion tablets for her as she was in pup to a mongrel and he wasn't going to waste his time with her having the puppies when he could get 500 euro a pup if they were sired by a pure bred Rottweiler.

He also told us a story about how he was driving home one night and skidded into the ditch. His front seat passenger hit his head off the windscreen and it shattered. He told his friend that as he had broken it with his head and would have to pay for it.

His tightness is legendary in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Kersmash wrote: »
    Shes not. Under law, the price advertised is an invitation to treat. when she brings the item to the till she's making an offer to buy the item at that price. the shopkeeper is well within their rights to accept or reject this offer.

not true. she wasn't bartering. the price displayed is the price the shop has decided to sell it at. they can't legally up it from the advertising price unless a sale just ended or something.
    i know it's only a penny and most people wouldn't make a fuss over it (i wouldn't) but she was within her rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Ive heard of a Deputy in Dail Eireann who wont give up his ministerial pension of 22000 eventhough his basic salary is 100000 euro and has only attended 14% of important national intrest Dail votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

not true. she wasn't bartering. the price displayed is the price the shop has decided to sell it at.

Actually it is true. Let's say for example someone price labelling sticks a price tag on an item that says €10 whereas it should read €100. If you take it to the counter and demand it be sold to you for €10 there is no obligation whatsoever for them to sell it to you for that price regardless of what the tag might say.

The example here being only €0.01 out is rather extreme but it was explained to her as a difference in the pricing system rather than a concerted effort to falsely advertise or whatever. Either pay the €30 or leave it tbh. They have no obligation to sell it for less than the €30.

You might think is tough luck on her but I've actually seen a well-to-do looking gentleman in a certain bookshop on Grafton Street peeling sales price stickers off one book, sticking it on another book and then demanding loudly the mortified foreign sales assistant sell it to him at the price on the sticker. I relished coming to her aid explaining the basics of contract law to him. Stingy git. Really enjoyed watching him leave it there and walk out tail between his legs, face bright red.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i was in a shop once, owned by the family of a well known dail based politician. the son, also a politician (local councillor or somthing) was in the shop. it was a fairly long drive home, so we decided to head in and stock up on some junk food.

i got a bag of 2cents sweets and put 50 into it whilst the others were queiing before me. when i got to the till, the c*nt opened the bag, poured them all out on the counter and counted them one by one back into the bag. i should have told him to get f8cked with his dirty hands on a dirty counter, but like an idiot i said nothing. when i thought about it 2 minutes later, i just threw the sweets away. lesson learned, but god only knows the stories the locals could tell about this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Osu wrote: »
    This guy won the lottery a few years ago (Millions). I'm 20 years younger than him, a student (Tins of beans etc.). Anyway, went to for this fortunate lottery winners forth marriage ceremony, on the invite, if you wished to attend it explained that you had to pay for your dinner, 3 Course meal and it stressed that if you did not pay you could not attend, needless to say fúck all people showed up for the afters including myself.

That's only recently, I remember before he wouldn't buy a round in the pub any time I was there. Hate people like that.

Maybe he was just cheesed off with people asking him for money/rounds of drinks all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

He also told us a story about how he was driving home one night and skidded into the ditch. His front seat passenger hit his head off the windscreen and it shattered. He told his friend that as he had broken it with his head and would have to pay for it.
    That's first class stingieness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Osu wrote: »

sorry. just can't believe that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Hmm. Can't think offhand... the type of people who chant "charity begins at home" and then rant at homeless people, Travellers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

At my husband's work Christmas party a few years ago the waitress came to the table with the last plate saying "medium steak" and setting it down in front of the only guy who hadn't been served. He immediately said, "No, I ordered a large one." He wasn't a bit embarrassed when it was explained to him.

In fairness thats not stingy, just a misunderstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

More than likely a joke that the people at the table didn't get. Boss of mine makes these jokes every time we're out for a staff meal.. tbh when people don't get any joke I make I couldn't be bothered explaining it and just feign ignorance like the guy in that post.

Rare - ah jaysus I didn't mean for ya to make them extinct or anything.

Medium - No, I ordered a large one.

Well Done - Cheers, I just ordered the steak, no need to congratulate me about it.

I don't think so. This is the guy who had a Polish labourer. When the labourer's wife had a baby he took a week off to be with them. When he went back to work, not only did he not get paid for his week off but Mr Mean told him he'd have to work a week without wages in order to make up for his week off. :eek: The poor guy did because he really needed the job.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What?!! :eek: He was the one who crashed the car! Fecks sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    a guy i know sent me a "call me" text once, you know those things that say "i'm out of credit, call me". But he's on bill pay. And the worst thing is i was the one who signed him up to the bill phone so it's not like i didn't know!

My sister's friend used to do this and it really pissed me off. She had her own mobile phone, and the use of the house phone in her mother's house where she lived. But she didn't want to have a big mobile bill, and her mum complained about her making lengthy calls on the house phone. When they were in the sixth form, even though they saw each other at school all day, this girl would want to have lengthy and pointless chats on the phone with my sister every night (despite the fact that she lived 1 road away from us and they visited each other every evening). So to avoid paying for the calls she wanted to make, this girl devised a scheme with my sister where she would call our house phone, let it ring 3 times and then hang up. This was a signal to my sister that this girl wanted to talk to her and should phone her immediately. When I found out what was happening after a while, I answered the phone as she rang, and told her to stop wasting our phone bill and pay for the call herself if she wanted to talk. So the cheeky cow stopped calling our house phone and from then on would call my sister's mobile, let it ring a few times and then hang up. So my stupid sister would then call her back on her mobile, costing even more money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't think so. This is the guy who had a Polish labourer. When the labourer's wife had a baby he took a week off to be with them. When he went back to work, not only did he not get paid for his week off but Mr Mean told him he'd have to work a week without wages in order to make up for his week off. :eek: The poor guy did because he really needed the job.
    Is that not illegal? I thought new fathers were allowed a couple of days leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Nope, believe it or not, there is absolutely no legal obligation to give unpaid, let alone paid, leave to fathers. Technically he was lucky to get any time off at all.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is but the poor guy was caught between a rock and hard place. What goes around comes round though so hopefully he will get his someday.

The stingiest people I ever met were a family abroad who I worked as an au pair for. They were well off, the mother was a doctor and the father was an engineer. They must have had spare cash as they were members of a sports club, had lots of expensive sports equiptment, a fancy car, and the mum regularly took foreign holidays to follow her favourite rockstar around on tour. However, they had 5 kids and me, their au pair, and they really resented spending any money on us.

They were constantly complaining about how expensive it is to feed so many people, and as a result of this, really underfed everyone in the house. At weekends, we'd get something like a tiny serving of baby porridge for breakfast, a tiny scoop of pasta for lunch and a slice of bread for dinner, with 2 or 3 peices of fruit cut up and divided between all 8 of us as a snack. On weekdays, we'd get baby porridge for breakfast and a scoop of pasta or a slice of bread for dinner, the kids would get lunch at school and the dad would get lunch at work and the parents thought it was fine for me and the mum to just go without lunch every day to save money!

Whenever the parents were home late, they would tell me to give the kids fruit for dinner. But often there was barely anything left in the fruit bowl. Once I had to divide one pear between 6 of us for dinner! I cut it into 4 peices, have one peice each to the younger kids and me and the oldest kid went without. I told the mum when she got home and she thoght it was fine, she just said that if the oldest kid was hungry she could have a slice of bread!

The parents had a big house with lots of rooms but they made all 5 kids share the tiny attic as a bedroom, while they used the other rooms in the house for things like extra bathrooms, guest rooms, sports rooms. 5 kids between ages 2-12 had to share this tiny cramped little attic where the 2 year old woke up screaming multiple times a night because he kept wetting the bed.

They had also tempted me to take the job by promising me a free travelcard that they said they would top up whenever it ran out, but after the first time it ran out they never topped it up. This is despite the fact that they had a travelcard with lots of credit on it, stuck to the kitchen noticeboard. They said I couldn't have it as it was for emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

eoin wrote: »
    Nope, believe it or not, there is absolutely no legal obligation to give unpaid, let alone paid, leave to fathers. Technically he was lucky to get any time off at all.

That may be the case but surely getting the guy to work an unpaid week was illegal? Has to be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

An old guy i know had a major hip operation once. He had to take a course of medication for blood clotting etc etc which was very important. The course of medication came to 60 euro. He asks can he have 10 euro's worth instead and the girl in the chemist says no. He walks out and does without. The guy was loaded and plays with his health like that?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That may be the case but surely getting the guy to work an unpaid week was illegal? Has to be

Oh yeah, that part of it is absolute exploitation.

I just remembered another stingy cow. I have been a massive Manic Street Preachers fan for years, and from the ages of 13-16 I desperately wanted their The Holy Bible poster. I had spent 3 years searching for it but had never managed to find a copy. Just after I turned 16, I made friends with a girl called Amy. We became really good friends and I told her all about how much I wanted this poster and had searched for it for years. One day I went to her house, and as I walked into her bedroom I got the shock of my life. There, on her wall, was The Holy Bible poster that I had searched for for so long! I told her that that was what I had been looking for all these years, and I asked her why she had a Manics poster on the wall as she didn't even like them. She said, "Oh, that's the poster you want so much? No, I don't like the Manics but when my brother was clearing out his room he gave me the stuff he didn't want any more, and this poster was amongst the stuff. I just put it up there to fill up blank wall space."

Well, considering we had become such good friends and she knew how long I had searched for it, I thought she'd give it to me. If I had something of no monetary value that I didn't really want and a good friend was desperate for it, I'd just give it to them. But she didn't offer, so I asked if I could have it. She said no, because then she'd have blank wall space. I said she could have any of my posters that she wanted to fill the space. She agreed, but said that I must also pay her a few quid and buy her a few rounds of drinks that weekend! I agreed because I really wanted it. In total she got about £10 worth of money and stuff off me for something she didn't even want!

Then at the end of year we would raid the lower classrooms for textbooks and sell them off at a 2nd hand book store for a handsome return

I did something like that. In about 1995 I was having violin lessons at school. The school provided each student with a violin to borrow that they could take home to practise. After a few classes I didn't want to learn the violin any more, so I stopped going to classes. The school must have forgotten that I had the violin as they never asked for it back. After a while, I took it to a car boot sale and sold it for a fiver. I was not happy when my mum told me that it had actually been worth hundreds of pounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I just remembered another stingy cow. I have been a massive Manic Street Preachers fan for years, and from the ages of 13-16 I desperately wanted their The Holy Bible poster. I had spent 3 years searching for it but had never managed to find a copy. Just after I turned 16, I made friends with a girl called Amy. We became really good friends and I told her all about how much I wanted this poster and had searched for it for years. One day I went to her house, and as I walked into her bedroom I got the shock of my life. There, on her wall, was The Holy Bible poster that I had searched for for so long! I told her that that was what I had been looking for all these years, and I asked her why she had a Manics poster on the wall as she didn't even like them. She said, "Oh, that's the poster you want so much? No, I don't like the Manics but when my brother was clearing out his room he gave me the stuff he didn't want any more, and this poster was amongst the stuff. I just put it up there to fill up blank wall space."

Well, considering we had become such good friends and she knew how long I had searched for it, I thought she'd give it to me. If I had something of no monetary value that I didn't really want and a good friend was desperate for it, I'd just give it to them. But she didn't offer, so I asked if I could have it. She said no, because then she'd have blank wall space. I said she could have any of my posters that she wanted to fill the space. She agreed, but said that I must also pay her a few quid and buy her a few rounds of drinks that weekend! I agreed because I really wanted it. In total she got about £10 worth of money and stuff off me for something she didn't even want!

Thats not stingy, thats called 'the law of supply and demand' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

This couple got married nearby and for their honeymoon went on stand by for their flight .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

Had an american guest and his fafmily where I work and I was serving last week and when he paid for this families meal he gave me a titanium Amercian Express Centurian Credit Card... Look it up... He was loaded... And he didn't leave any tip at all...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement