Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just heard the news off my grandmother this morning.
    She rang up all in a flutter and I honestly thought she was pulling my leg.
    Sadly, it doesn't look to be a joke at all and I'm in utter shock.
    I always liked Gerry Ryan-he always came across as a very lively, animated and affable chap. Aboslutely horrible to hear he's passed on. :(

My thoughts go out to his family. Shame. Today FM won't be the same without his particular brand of irreverant humor.

At least know, he'll be able to find out if God really is a DJ...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I musT admit i will miss Gerry Ryans now annual event where he gets on an expert cook to teach us all how to cook a turkey, Normally what would transpire is Gerry wouldnt let the expert get a word in edgeways,, the show consisted of Gerry telling us how he cooks his turkey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I wasn't a fan of Gerry Ryan, or anybody in RTÉ or probably anybody anywhere now that I think of it, but I heard two great shows on Gerry Ryan over the years. The first was about 10 years ago and I was on the bus going into college. Ryan was on the bus's radio and this girl with a real Dublin accent rang up to let loose.

She had apparently received a warrant to go to prison because she had refused to pay a dog licence. She was incensed, pointing out that she never owned a dog in her life and had missed the summons they had allegedly sent her to appear in court or something. But she was incredulous on Ryan's show: 'I didn't even own the dog and they're sending me for prison for not paying a bleedin' licence for it'. She was absolutely hilarious and it went on for a good 10 minutes. And Ryan was stoking it wonderfully.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house (or bus) by the time Ryan ended it by offering her a trip to Italy if she could answer the question: "What country is Venice in?" "Austria", says she to top off the funniest show I've ever heard on the radio.

The second show was three years ago (20 June 2007) and was much different. Ryan interviewed the mother of Patrick O'Dwyer from Clare. Patrick had been sent to prison shortly before this for killing his 17-year-old sister. Their mother was on and it was seriously moving stuff. I never thought Ryan had that sensitivity. He was really empathetic, gentle and understanding. It was refreshing to see that side to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I seen Gerry once, about a year ago, in Tesco Merrion with his son. He was talking and laughing with the check out assistant. Seems like a genuine nice guy.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

McChubbin wrote: »
    I always liked Gerry Ryan-he always came across as a very lively, animated and affable chap. Aboslutely horrible to hear he's passed on. :(

My thoughts go out to his family. Shame. Today FM won't be the same without his particular brand of irreverant humor.

You can't have liked him *that* much, considering he's been a 2FM presenter his entire life and has never worked for Today FM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

McChubbin wrote: »

(

It's Gerry Ryan, not Ray D'Arcy :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:(:( Bitter sweet by verve on now with his life on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mettlee

Just feel sorry for those he has left behind, I kinda liked him, kinda didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Aww. The Late Late is very sad last night.

How Ryan Tubridy is getting through the show without bawling I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I preface what I'm about to state by saying I'm sure everyones' thoughts are with his ex-wife and kids at this painful time and I mean no disrespect to the late Gerry Ryan, but...

Do we have any sense of proportion in this country? Our government is pouring billions into failed speculative banks while our educational and health systems are on their knees, yet the whole country seems completely wigged-out by the death of a disc-jockey.

To me this smacks of the death of Katie French all over again, prurient public interest and outpourings of crocodile tears.

Maybe as a nation, we're better at emotional outpourings than we are at outrage?

Why can't we be saddened about one and angry (or whatever emotion you may feel) about the other. I for one am well capable of feeling more than one emotion at a time. We have spoken for months about the government, economy, banks etc. Is all other discussion or reporting of news to cease? A few days so people can remember or pay tribute to someone who may have meant something to them is surely not too much to ask?

Anyway RIP Gerry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wasn't a fan, never listened to the show, but it's always sad when someone is taken so suddenly.

Forgot about the late late tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the tribute at the end from his former researcher was poignant. it'll likely resonate with people who have lost their cherished parents through a sudden death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

RIP Gerry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭acequion

Much as I like the boards,unfortunately there are some very mean spirited and unintelligent people who post here. Even death doesn't get a break from their cynicism.Somebody even dragged up the late Katy French.How crass! Of course the entire country is in shock over the untimely death of one of our most famous broadcasters.A larger than life personality and someone who was part of all our lives and in all our homes with his daily radio show.His voice was so distinguishable,you automatically knew you had hit on 2FM.That voice is now stilled forever.My heart goes out to his young daughters.RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

acequion wrote: »
    Much as I like the boards,unfortunately there are some very mean spirited and unintelligent people who post here. Even death doesn't get a break from their cynicism.Somebody even dragged up the late Katy French.How crass! Of course the entire country is in shock over the untimely death of one of our most famous broadcasters.A larger than life personality and someone who was part of all our lives and in all our homes with his daily radio show.His voice was so distinguishable,you automatically knew you had hit on 2FM.That voice is now stilled forever.My heart goes out to his young daughters.RIP
    Well, if I can give my view, all ill say is that I dislike how once somebody dies, they're all of a sudden loked upon only in the most positive of lights.

It's a bit false in my view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

was he on the radio as normal this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tazpm

Was listening to the radio this evening and Chris Evans was on and I just felt for the dj ( for the life of me cant remember his name) They are hurting and They're in my thoughts! I never listen to his show but when I think of him I think of The school around the corner and smile!

No alas, he never made it to the show! Was ill yesterday and that was last people from station heard from him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

eth0_ wrote: »
    Perhaps it's escaped your notice but there are numerous threads on boards.ie about all these subjects and more. Why does this particular thread irk you so much?

Colour me cynical, but I just don't get this whole 'cult of personality' thing.

It's not this thread that irks me, but the whole craven rush to the alter to mourn the passing of the golden-calf, of how indicative and revealing it is of the true Irish nature and the obsession with celebrity culture.

Hundreds of sufferers of Cystic Fibrosis die in this country every year due to our country being one of the worst in Europe to provide resources for this particular condition, where are their wailing media advocates being interviewed on the verge of tears in the Montrose carpark?

Again, I'm not interested into getting into any 'internetz' wars with anyone in a non face-to-face basis over this, I'm just trying to express a feeling of shock I have over the inability of Irish people to exercise any sense of true perspective around this event.
    eth0_ wrote: »
    And as a radio anorak, I have respect for Gerry for the work he did to revolutionalise Irish radio. People forget that before 2fm we ONLY had Radio 1 and pirate stations. That was it!

And as an ex-pirate DJ, Irish Radio was revolutionised long before our National State Broadcaster decided to legitimise Gerry Ryan, and now they want to beatify him? The history of Irish radio didn't begin in 1980 and as an 'anorak' you should know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

i have been listening to his morning show for about twenty years, and had listened to his evening show before that. as a radio broadcaster he was daring and brave - and you had to be in RTE in the 80's. Radio Two was a bad place to be in many ways, have a look at a book called Radio Radio for some idea of it.

Today it is hard to describe just what he did when he got the morning show on Radio 2. Those who say the Gay Byrne Hour did it all first are not entirely correct. Gay opened the door a little on the radio show pre late eighties - Gerry kicked the dammed thing in. He turned on the microphone and the telephones and just said ring in, we'll put you on air. At the time asking someone on air in the morning if they masterbated almost causded the county to collapse, but as a teenager in the drab and miserable decade we suffered in it was a breath of fresh air. He also took a stand for Radio 2 when Ray Burke was determined to destroy it and was broadcasting on Radio Ireland, hearing that Gerry told the listeners to ring him and give him hell. That took some guts in RTE.

Shay Healy said he was the best thing to happen to women in broadcasting, and he was right. Many of the stories he would present on the show were heartbreaking but he told them and he interviewed broken people with dignity, respect and compassion - even this week the man who wrecked his own marriage with his appalling behaviour got a fair airing form him.

He also could tell a good yarn and of course some of his tales would be very autobiographical and maybe off putting and thats something that would annoy the hell out of me, but all in all that was him. Theres always something you can dislike in someone.

In my opinion we have lost one of the best Radio Talents we have ever had and my thoughts are with his family friends and co workers.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tazpm

Well, if I can give my view, all ill say is that I dislike how once somebody dies, they're all of a sudden loked upon only in the most positive of lights.

It's a bit false in my view.

This is what people do in the greiving process!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

was he on the radio as normal this morning

No, the Colm and JimJim show was extended for another hour and then Fiona Looney took over his show for the rest of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

RIP, so sad for the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You need to look up the definition of "cult of personality" because that's not what this is.

And as an ex-pirate DJ, Irish Radio was revolutionised long before our National State Broadcaster decided to legitimise Gerry Ryan, and now they want to beatify him? The history of Irish radio didn't begin in 1980 and as an 'anorak' you should know that.

Yes, because EVERYONE in Ireland prior to 1980 lived in the major towns and cities that had a pirate :rolleyes: Plenty of people lived outside the range of pirates at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

It's not this thread that irks me, but the whole craven rush to the alter to mourn the passing of the golden-calf, of how indicative and revealing it is of the true Irish nature and the obsession with celebrity culture.

Hundreds of sufferers of Cystic Fibrosis die in this country every year due to our country being one of the worst in Europe to provide resources for this particular condition, where are their wailing media advocates being interviewed on the verge of tears in the Montrose carpark?

Again, I'm not interested into getting into any 'internetz' wars with anyone in a non face-to-face basis over this, I'm just trying to express a feeling of shock I have over the inability of Irish people to exercise any sense of true perspective around this event.

many times Gerry Ryan (and Joe Duffy) have had the CF victims on their shows - and they have been to the fore in asking why proper isolation wards are not provided for them in General Hospital.

As an Ex Pirate you know that Ryan did on RTE exactly what he did on the Big D. True, Radio 2 was a morrass of banality during the eighties - but not at night, and not when he got the morning show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

rip gerry ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

As a fan of the radio show I have to say I'm pretty gutted.

RIP Gerry Ryan. The Ryan Line is truly closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

mettlee wrote: »
    Forgot about the late late tonight!

I was not a fan of him except for Ryan Confidential.

He does however seem to have families gathered around their TV in a way that has not happened since the Late Late show used to be on the only available Channel in Ireland.

I feel now that i missed an awful lot by not listening to his Radio Show,:(
    I have learned so much about him today that i did not know!

Judging by ALL the tributes,He would have been HIGHLY bemused that He United a Nation:)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Any idea of the cause yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement