Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭granturismo

I didnt like his latter work but as a 40 something Gerry Ryan and Dave Fanning helped get me through homework and study in secondary school with their nighttime shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

very sad news indeed actually enjoyed listen to his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

PK2008 wrote: »
    Mate, your username refers to a case where a child lost their life.

Stop lecturing people

WTF. Are you actualy kidding me?! It refers to a fictional band name from a TV show actually. Big difference to posting disrespectful crap about a man who only passed away a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

RIP.

Any cause of death yet lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Yeah, I noticed that. Quite confusing. Her first post too.

In all fairness I would imagine that they were talking about "negative" posts then RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

kleefarr wrote: »
    RIP.

Heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

and even though nearly all of Ireland hated him,

Quite the opposite it seems, judging by the outpouring of condolences and sympathy. That, and pretty much everyone in Ireland has heard his show and he had a lot of dedicated listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

RIP.

Suspected heart attack. Gardai are investigating which is standard in such circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

RIP.

Someone on the Will Leahy show(cant remember name) said it was a heart attck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

The head of programming for 2FM has just said they delayed broadcasting the news at the families request.She scolded Twitter in particulor but also 'other media' that did not show the same respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

RIP.

Reported heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

RIP Gerry

My thoughts and prayers go out to all his family and friends.

My dad died suddenly at 48 so I know exactly what his family are going through.

Just listening to 2FM there now and poor Will Leahy broke down reading out texts from the listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pix1e_head

My boyfriend just rang and told me that his taxi driver is crying listening to the radio about this. He said Gerry was part of his morning routine for years....thats kinda sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I notice Miriam O'Callaghan has deleted the tweet she made at around 2.30pm today confirming Gerry had been found dead. I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I only started listening to 2fm when Colm and Jim Jim moved and so naturally heard Gerry after them. Initially I didn't like his show because I preferred to listen to music but I could never turn off his show and I came to really really enjoy it. Most mornings (until now) I'd wake up to him and listen to him all the way to work. I'll certainly miss that now.

My thought's are with his family. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

very sad news indeed,my taughts and prayers for his family.

WTF. Are you actualy kidding me?! It refers to a fictional band name from a TV show actually. Big difference to posting disrespectful crap about a man who only passed away a few hours ago.

It may be from Buffy but that does not negate where the name comes from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azaria_Chamberlain_disappearance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I think you'll find that quote is taken straight from a famous case in Australia- regardless of who has used it since its still refers to that.

While I agree its bad taste to slag off the dead, its a bit ironic lecturing people about it with that username

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

Yes, how awful that society allows people who have a different opinion than you on something to exsist :rolleyes: I always thought Ryan was an idiot while he was alive, him dying hasn't changed my opinion.

It's entirely possible to feel sympathy for the man and his family and friends, at his unfortunate early demise, without having to instantly revise your opinion and elevate him to sainthood just because he died and you want to look like you care on the internet.

I am referring to those that do not feel sympathy.

I don't want to look like I care but I think some idiots want to look like they don't care. The thing is, most people don't care about people like that.

You already know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Coronary Artery Blockage.

He did slim down since doing the operation Transformation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

eth0_ wrote: »
    I notice Miriam O'Callaghan has deleted the tweet she made at around 2.30pm today confirming Gerry had been found dead. I wonder why?

She was probably scolded by RTE bosses for doing so, and now she can pretend she never tweeted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Quite the opposite it seems, judging by the outpouring of condolences and sympathy. That, and pretty much everyone in Ireland has heard his show and he had a lot of dedicated listeners.

People's opinions of others tend to change when they die. Why? I'm not sure but it happens all the time. And my dad and I listened to Gerry specifically because we considered him an asshole and laughed at the BS he came out with. We could even be called dedicated listeners.

Once again, not trying to be disrespectful just stating facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

ynotdu wrote: »
    The head of programming for 2FM has just said they delayed broadcasting the news at the families request.She scolded Twitter in particulor but also 'other media' that did not show the same respect.

Unless she relayed that request (and in fairness how could she?) then I don't get the issue? This isn't the place or time to argue whether it's right or not to post death notices on public fora, she should have had more sense, there's plenty of time for scolding afterwards.

ynotdu wrote: »

Oh so if one of their own dies, there aare to be no reports.

I will remember that the next time RTÉ News decide to lead with the death of someone famous

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

eth0_ wrote: »

could be becasue it was 3.30 before rte announced it them selfs

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Ah crap, Gerry was part of my trip to college, every morning, thought he was a great character, he will certainly be missed. :(

R.I.P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

News of his death has even made its way into Sky News Headlines. RIP Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

The football analyst??? Jaysus

yeah there are emails flying around in work! hopefully it aint true

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

RIP.

Massive Heart Attack is what i heard on 2FM ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jonsandy

cant believe it .its terrible. RIP G Ryan you will be badly missed. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement