Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

RIP Gerry

Listened to his show a lot, and he was always fair, charming, articulate and intelligent. In fact, I can't remember him ever displaying any signs of nastiness or the like, so I'm astounded by some of the comments on here from people who never met him but seemed to hate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Heard about this on Twitter and Facebook first,RIP Gerry Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

themadchef wrote: »
    Poor kiddies, having some of this ****e forever tatooed here to read.

Should be fcuking ashamed of yourselves some of you.

We dont give a sh1t what you thought of the man. Nothing good to say? Step away from your keyboard!

G Ryan RIP

And I don't give one about what you have to say but hey that is life

Iggy button below.

Get off your high horses people, you may not agree with what people have to say/think but as long as they are not breaking the rules just ignore or discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Jinxi wrote: »
    So sorry for the five young aduls who recieved news of the sudden death of their father today.
    What was broadcast from9-12 tody on 2fm?

The two youngest aren't adults they are kids, I think 10 and 14

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

RIP Gerry Ryan.
    Sound man.

The idiots on here posting crap about his death are the vast minority.
    Unfortunately society permits them to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I cant believe it, i just found out half an hour ago.
    Ive always loved listening to him, Every morning for years. i download his podcasts here in Oz all the time too.

He will be sorely missed. My condolances to his family and close friends.
    The man was a legend.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I don't understand the cruelty of some people. He was one of our own, and he'll be missed.

Many people considered him to be 'opinionated' and didn't like that about him, they're just sharing their opinions of him (which I share). If he didn't agree with your views he could be an ass, that's just how he was.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but it's the truth.

You can argue they should show some respect but given he didn't show a lot of people respect they deserved I think they're justified. People don't become saints because they die. You live and die with the decisions you make and opinions others form of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

One thing I have noticed over the years posting on After Hours.

These RIP threads are great for showing people's true colours.

I hope people make a mental note of those taking this opportunity to get some attention and waste Mods time.

I for one will be just skipping over their posts in future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

OutlawPete wrote: »
    One thing I have noticed over the years posting on After Hours.

These RIP threads are great for showing people's true colours.

I hope people make a mental note of those taking this opportunity to get some attention and waste Mods time.

I for one will be just skipping over their posts in future.
    Hear, hear.
    The ignore ability will be used more by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shrek2

Horrible news..

He's the only man that can annoy you and make you smile in one sentence.

Ireland has lost a good man today!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Pat Kenny on Radio 1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I didn't listen to his show at all tbh but I do have a memory of seeing him dj an outdoor 2fm beat on the street show back in the summer of '87. The place was jammed with people and it was a good time.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

R.I.P Gerry, condolences to all the family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Dav wrote: »
    Should the HSE or whoever wish to contact Boards.ie as part of an internal investigation, we'll be happy to help them out.

Wow, way to ride your users :rolleyes:

Boards.ie, looking after number 1

On a side note, thoughts and prayers are with the Ryan family. A sad day indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

RIP GR, and condolences to his family. /I must say, this thread is a fitting tribute to him........controversial & rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clara_G

Gerry you were a legend and its a terrible loss to ireland and all your on line listerners rip

xxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Huge gap left in one of RTE's prime broadcasting slots.

9-12 wont be the same in work, as we had 2FM on all day.

Sad loss for the country and more so for his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Gerry was usually on air from what 9-12 each day so I would imagine he should have been in work for 7 or 8 at the latest. I'm sure his family were well aware by 2.30pm today.

RIP Big Man!

He wasn't found until around 1pm. Do you think the Gardai went and broke his front door down at 8am after he didn't show up for work? :rolleyes:

I've heard that his ex-wife and children are on holiday so it would make sense that it took 2 hours to inform them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Why do a lot of people see this as tasteless? I think it's incredibly somber, and a fitting one-line tribute myself.

Very true - don't think they posted it in bad taste either. Referring to "The Ryan line is now closed"

RIP Gerry Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

OK for those arguing that they are allowed to post whatever they want about Gerry. Why don't you think back to a time where you lost a loved one and imagine how you would feel if you heard people talking such complete and utter sh1te about them. You are fcuking pathetic hiding behind your usernames, thinking you are hilarious by posting such crap. Doesn't matter who you are talking about, at the end of the day a man with a family has passed away at a young age. I know it might be hard to get through your thick skulls, but show some goddamn respect:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Not a listener of the show (well, at least not in the past 15 years, mornings are otherwise occupied) but met the guy briefly once in 1992 when a few of us were in Montrose for Blackboard Jungle (like half the country it seems), back when his ponytail was still intact. The three of us were hanging outside on the grass waiting for the next round, he passed by and stopped for a chat for a few minutes. Seemed like quite a nice chap so sincere sympathies to his family, it's crappy to be in the spotlight at a time like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Very sad for his family and friends and for the whole Irish nation-whether you liked him or not. R.I.P. Prayers and thoughts with his family...

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Larry Gogan on radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Wow, way to ride your users :rolleyes:

Boards.ie, looking after number 1

On a side note, thoughts and prayers are with the Ryan family. A sad day indeed.

Cop on. If the gardai contact boards.ie as part of an investigation, of course they're going to comply. It's the LAW. You think Boards' owners should refuse to disclose user details to the police and potentially end up in court as a result? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Mullins07 wrote: »
    RIP Gerry Ryan.
    Sound man.

Yes, how awful that society allows people who have a different opinion than you on something to exsist :rolleyes: I always thought Ryan was an idiot while he was alive, him dying hasn't changed my opinion.

It's entirely possible to feel sympathy for the man and his family and friends, at his unfortunate early demise, without having to instantly revise your opinion and elevate him to sainthood just because he died and you want to look like you care on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

hehehe , gerry ryan was the coolest camper in the west, i thought he was like sooo funny and stuff. It is really sad that he has died so young, rip and even though nearly all of Ireland hated him, he will be missed. My condolances to all his family :(. I would also hope that nothing happens to the original posters, most people would do the same it is what humans do. Please be easy :(
    And rip again i hope you will have a good life up in the heaven. xx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Condolences to his family. RIP. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I liked listening to his show and I always found him to be a good laugh. I'm shocked to say the least. I feel so sad for his family. I'm sure Gerry would have probably cracked a joke about himself getting a heart attack if he survived on his show. Poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Mullins07 wrote: »
    RIP Gerry Ryan.
    Sound man.

Are you for real?? Because people make jokes in bad taste they shouldn't exist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Hate to point out the obvious.. but didn't you just do the same thing yourself??

Yeah, I noticed that. Quite confusing. Her first post too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement