Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third-level fees have to come back

Options
  • 28-04-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Seconded, with grants provided to those from low-income families.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

They should never have been abolished in 1995, thats what happens when Labour are in government, also third level students might begin to value their courses more and the quality of courses will improve if fees are brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Four billion to be spent on buildings? Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

loldog wrote: »

We have many fine fields and bogs we could keep the students there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

loldog wrote: »

well it would be a better spend than the countless spent on the "buildings" as a result of NAMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Also agree that fees should be brought back. With either grants or loans available to those who need them, which are paid back as the person starts work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Third level fees do not have to come back. I've benefited from free fees, I'd never be able to afford a university education without free fees. There is a desperate lack of funding in the third level sector. Re-introducing fees and forcing people from poor backgrounds away from University is not the way to go.

There's far too much of an entitlement culture in this country, if adults want to pay for third level education then they should pay for it pure and simple, although I would certainly support a grant system for people from more modest backgrounds.

Third level fees do not have to come back. I've benefited from free fees, I'd never be able to afford a university education without free fees. There is a desperate lack of funding in the third level sector. Re-introducing fees and forcing people from poor backgrounds away from University is not the way to go.

They can work for a few years, save up quite a bit of money and then go to college say when they are 21 or 23, mature students tend to have more appreciation for the courses they are doing than a lot of 17 or 18 year old kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

That's why grants or loans should be available to people who need them. I have never been able to understand why the taxpayer has to pay for a solicitors education or any other profession for that matter. If they cannot afford the fees a loan should be made available that would be repaid on a monthly basis as soon as the person starts earning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Third level fees should be brought back in some form or another. Though a government sponsored loans system would be a step in the right direction, I would also favour a situation where those who can pay up front should have to do so. Remember that those from the poorest backgrounds won't pay anyway: they are covered by council grants.

As it stands, Irish universities are chronically underfunded. My own, UCC, has a deficit of €13 million. Most of this was incurred in building the new IT centre, which has vastly improved the Departments of Mathematics and Computing, and, as such, the university as a whole.

Without more funding Irish universities will not be able to improve. At the moment UCC is placed in the high 200's in the Times international university rankings. As a future graduate, this worries me. When I move abroad for a job or for a postgrad, interviewers will have no idea what or where UCC is because Irish people are making no attempt to put it on the international stage, instead preferring to be tight-fisted.

The choice we have is clear: continue to spuriously demand we get our third level degrees for free or chip in for our own benefit and receive an education that has the potential to be vastly superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

I have seen these threads a few times on Irish forums, and I always see this type of post.

Why do you have such an issue with a system where fees are abolished, universities can raise their standards, and students from low-income families have the fees waived, and get a grant or whatever?

As far as I see it, the only people who lose out are students from middle-class families, who won't be able to afford their own car and a J1 holiday every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fully agree. As a student who has benefited from free fees [though bear in mind there is fees of sorts with the €1500+ 'registration' fee] it irks me to see the blasé attitude some of my peers have/had towards their education. The introduction of fees might see people value their education more as has been mentioned above and may reduce the number of people going to 3rd level because it's the 'done' thing. A student loan system similar to the UK or Australia would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have fees. But this isn't a perfect world, and Irish universities are chronically underfunded compared to their international counterparts.

We have a few options:
    • Raise taxes for everyone to pay for improvements and keep free fees. (like that'll happen)
    • Bring back fees upfront for all.
    • Bring back fees upfront, poorer students get grants,etc.
    • Student contribution after graduation via a loan system.
    • Student contribution after graduation via PRSI.
    • Status-quo.

The last option there is the least preferable, and we'll pay for it for years if we don't do anything. My own preferred option (and I say this as a first year student) would be a contribution after graduation via PRSI (as FG proposed last year - policy document), rather than loans since I don't like the idea of being saddled with "debt" (yes, I know that paying it back via tax or a loan is basically the same, but I'd rather pay tax than pay off a debt - it's psychological).

Such a system also removes pressure from the families of students (unless, of course, they want to pay them upfront) and should instil a bit of appreciation among students as to what they're getting.

I also find it a bit of a joke that with "free fees" we still have the €1,500 "registration fee", which is higher than the fees that students have to pay in some German provinces!

Sulmac wrote: »
    In a perfect world, we wouldn't have fees. But this isn't a perfect world, and Irish universities are chronically underfunded compared to their international counterparts.

We have a few options:
    • Raise taxes for everyone to pay for improvements and keep free fees. (like that'll happen)
    • Bring back fees upfront for all.
    • Bring back fees upfront, poorer students get grants,etc.
    • Student contribution after graduation via a loan system.
    • Student contribution after graduation via PRSI.
    • Status-quo.

The last option there is the least preferable, and we'll pay for it for years if we don't do anything. My own preferred option (and I say this as a first year student) would be a contribution after graduation via PRSI (as FG proposed last year - policy document), rather than loans since I don't like the idea of being saddled with "debt" (yes, I know that paying it back via tax or a loan is basically the same, but I'd rather pay tax than pay off a debt - it's psychological).

Such a system also removes pressure from the families of students (unless, of course, they want to pay them upfront) and should instil a bit of appreciation among students as to what they're getting.

I also find it a bit of a joke that with "free fees" we still have the €1,500 "registration fee", which is higher than the fees that students have to pay in some German provinces!

Under this system, who has the most to lose if their attempt at 3rd level doesn't work out (for whatever reason)?

a) Student from high-income family
    b) Student from middle-income family
    c) Student from low-income family

It seems Fine Gaels policy assumes a uniform playing field, or am I missing something?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

As far as I see it, the only people who lose out are students from middle-class families, who won't be able to afford their own car and a J1 holiday every summer.

You say that, but it's a bit harsh. I'm 18 and a first year who would come from a traditionally middle-class family but right now I'm relying on what little money my self employed dad is able to give me and can't afford things like my own car or J1 holiday. In fact i feel guilty taking my dad's money as it is but its the only income that i can get. I'm not entitled to a grant, due to my dad being self employed, and despite searching for a job ever since I finished the leaving cert i have had no luck in finding one either in my home town, Dublin, or Maynooth where I'm studying.

In fact very few students can afford the luxuries you claim they have and are going to miss out on!

Don't generalise about students, we're not all here for the craic and to delay having to live a real life. I am working as hard as I can in college because I am determined to acheive the goals I have set for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 John Lynch Ph.D

Terrible idea.

And why are people so for the idea of providing free education to students from only low income family's? again after again these students have proven to be the under performers in college, and that is FACT, the basic reality is they come from low income family's for a reason and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I'm aware this isn't always the case, but it is 90% of the time. So for applications grants would have to be heavily scrutinized and also availible to middle class students aswell.

However I feel that the approach to third level needs to completely reworked, employers aren't looking for a general piss in the pan Irish college degree because they know they're worth.

Colleges should be listening to what employers want and provide tuition for those needed course's (Microsoft Certs etc).

These economically viable course should be free.. for EVERYONE.

If you want to study renaissance poetry, you can, but you can pay for it and regardless of your background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Simply taxing the population more, as Pride Fighter has suggested, is only shooting one's self in the foot as investment in the economy will probably go down and there will be less jobs for graduates.

There are pictures, for example, of the current SU President, Keith O'Brien, protesting outside UCC at the lack of jobs available to graduates. As well as being a prime example of unhealthy government dependency, it was also highly ironic: Mr O'Brien has been instrumental in campaigning for the continuation of the free-fees system, which has resulted in higher taxes for everyone, thus impeding job creation, as I said. You can't have your cake and eat it to, eh?

Sulmac: there are some problems with loans' systems. Firstly, they will deliver little in the way of investment to universities now, although universities can borrow if they are guaranteed future income. Secondly, I have yet to think of a good way to police the system. What happens to those graduates who leave Ireland, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

fees should be introduced but not across the board i do not think

families udner a certain amount should pay nothing and receive full maintenance grants

families in the next bracket pay a certain amount and get some grants

families earning over a ceratin amount pay full fees and full costs

to be honest 10K a year for a degree does not sound unreasonable to me and it would drastically improve our colleges and universities

the grant system needs a huge overhaul along with the introduction of fees

postgrads should be more expensive aswell

edit; i do also believe that savings made from introducing fees should be ringfenced for improving education and not jsut flittered away into the abyss of our deficit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fees that address cost; not profit.

Thats where the US has gone wrong, and to be frank, has retarded the population to a woeful shambles.

Overheal wrote: »
    Fees that address cost; not profit.

Thats where the US has gone wrong, and to be frank, has retarded the population to a woeful shambles.

fees(and very high ones) also allow you to have some of the best universities in the world. ireland dosnt have one in the top 100 and there is no reason it cant have one in the top 50 that is pumping out some seriously talented graduates

You say that, but it's a bit harsh. I'm 18 and a first year who would come from a traditionally middle-class family but right now I'm relying on what little money my self employed dad is able to give me and can't afford things like my own car or J1 holiday. In fact i feel guilty taking my dad's money as it is but its the only income that i can get. I'm not entitled to a grant, due to my dad being self employed, and despite searching for a job ever since I finished the leaving cert i have had no luck in finding one either in my home town, Dublin, or Maynooth where I'm studying.

In fact very few students can afford the luxuries you claim they have and are going to miss out on!

Don't generalise about students, we're not all here for the craic and to delay having to live a real life. I am working as hard as I can in college because I am determined to acheive the goals I have set for myself.

I suppose I am being a little harsh, but I am speaking the truth. I am just completing a masters degree after fives years of university. (I come from a lower-income family, get the grant, fees paid and I worked every year through college, including summers, before you ask.) The majority of my classmates throughout were middle-income and above, drove a car and headed off to the US every summer, and sometimes Europe during mid-term, etc. I teach micro-classes now and the students complain of having trouble getting parking. Further to this, they seem to be disinterested in the subject they are studying, but are just hanging around for the college experience.

This is the majority that I have experienced over the past five years. If their parents can afford to pay for these luxuries, they can afford to pay fees. If they are not interested in their degree, then I am sure they will think twice about progressing further instead of wasting several thousands on fees, per year. It is to the benefit of our educational system and the standard of graduate we put out there.

also students loans are easy to get

students use loans all over the world to fund their studies

Overheal wrote: »
    Thats where the US has gone wrong

http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2009.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Under this system, who has the most to lose if their attempt at 3rd level doesn't work out (for whatever reason)?

a) Student from high-income family
    b) Student from middle-income family
    c) Student from low-income family

It seems Fine Gaels policy assumes a uniform playing field, or am I missing something?

I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine that either the person doesn't pay anything (the document just mentions graduates paying) or, more likely, they pay the appropriate amount for their period in third level whenever they are working.

Let's not forget that if someone drops out and reapplies [at the moment], that they have to pay full fees for their new course. I'd imagine their idea wouldn't allow that (although, as I said, I'm not an expert).
    Sulmac: there are some problems with loans' systems. Firstly, they will deliver little in the way of investment to universities now, although universities can borrow if they are guaranteed future income. Secondly, I have yet to think of a good way to police the system. What happens to those graduates who leave Ireland, for example?

I agree that the investment is needed now and not four of five years down the line (I'm viewing this as a long-term solution) - though as you said this "guaranteed" income would allow them to barrow now.

Policing it would be difficult; I wonder how they have dealt with that in Australia, New Zealand and [to an extent] the UK? I'd imagine the idea, though, is to get people to stay inside the country and work, not force them to emigrate abroad to find employment... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'm currently working at one of the top rated schools in the US and the tuition fees are in the region of $40,000 a year. For a four year degree that's a $160,000 bill. I know for a fact that there's no way I would have gone to University if I had to pay that much, I simply don't place that much value on the education I've received.

While I acknowledge that fees would more than likely sort the grain from the chaff as regards people who appreciate their education, the question remains (to continue the metaphor) how much of the grain can we afford to lose and at what cost. In my opinion education should be provided by the state and should be free, I like the Irish system where the government will only pay for your education the first time around. This in turn should provide for a greater return to the state as an educated workforce will generally have more stable employment and higher income thus paying more in tax and indirectly paying for their own education.

That being said as it stands, unfortunately Ireland can no longer provide employment for many of the graduates and so we have huge emmigration and a major brain-drain. Of my engineering class that graduated last year I think only 30% are working in Ireland while 30% are working overseas. The remainder have either returned to education or gone travelling (due to circumstance rather than desire). So where is the point in subsidising education for foreign countries? Unless we can get our act together and provide employment for the educated people we do have, why spend our money educating more with no return for it.

I don't agree with paying a tax to repay your loans as I think one should only have to pay for exactly what they've spent. Interest free loans for graduates is the way to go and if I take out a loan from a bank and then leave the country they're still going to want it back and I'll probably receive a summons upon my return, so saying people could easily run away from their loans is plain foolish.

Another thing we don't have in Ireland that could be a huge benefit if fees return is scholarships, there is little or no recognition for those who put in a lot of work and achieve highly, yet these are the ones who will more than likely create a good name for the University both here and abroad. I think if fees return (which they should as things stand) then this achievement should be rewarded and those students acknowledged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭bored and fussy

Third level fees were abolished to secure the top earners vote, it did not help one person from the lower/working class as they had free fees already, but in some cases could not afford accodomotion that is what should have been increased.
    The threshold for charging fees should also have been increased.
    What happened was anyone that could afford the fees took their children out of state schools and sent them to fee paying ones, this created and extra advantage for the well off.
    Now when asked to pay third level fees they will not contribute.
    What is most curious is the working class are the most vocal in saying "no third level fees" it doesnt make sense.

Sulmac wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine that either the person doesn't pay anything (the document just mentions graduates paying) or, more likely, they pay the appropriate amount for their period in third level whenever they are working.

Let's not forget that if someone drops out and reapplies [at the moment], that they have to pay full fees for their new course. I'd imagine their idea wouldn't allow that (although, as I said, I'm not an expert).

But do you think that such a system creates disincentives for a lower-income student, who faces the possibility of huge debts that they may not be able to afford (whether they graduate or not) versus middle/higher income students who are equally aware of such future debts, but are also aware that their parents are available as a safety net, should things not work out. Think about risk.

Can you see the difference there? Can you understand why this system will create disincentives for certain groups to attend 3rd level? Call them "barriers to entry"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Advertisement