Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT Commercial Multiplexes (was OneVision, Boxer etc...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

I'm going to stop 'waxing lyrical' about DVB-T2. I take the points mentioned. DVB-T1 MPEG4, is the specification for now. So I guess we have to assume it will be for launch also. It may be deemed adequate. End of day its up to One Vision and RTÉ now to decide to stick with that or change it to T2 which is also open to them to do. However its been pointed out that T2 hasn't been tested here so odds on that RTÉ and possibly One Vision may wait until 2014 before considering it. While on one hand, power consumption and spectrum efficiency would encourage it, equipment cost at broadcaster and consumer would be higher for now.

Anyhow, I'll talk no more about it, annoying folks. If it happens, it happens, if not well we'll just be same as most EU neighbours. I think we're right to do what other countries are now doing, going to MPEG4. I take all points on board arguing against t2 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,518 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not looking good right now for OneVision or possible EasyTV negotiations.
    All not happy with a free digital Beeb
    Fri, Feb 05, 2010

ON TUESDAY, Communications Minister Eamon Ryan made much play of securing a deal with his British counterparts on digital terrestrial television (DTT).

Among other things, it will facilitate the broadcast of TG4 on free-to-air DTT in Northern Ireland when the analogue signal is switched off in 2012. They must have been dancing in the streets of Belfast at that news.

But a byproduct of the memorandum of understanding between the governments is to “facilitate the widespread availability on the DTT platforms of BBC services in Ireland”.

This was the first hint that the Beeb’s TV channels might be available on the free-to-air, public service DTT multiplex that RTÉ has been charged with airing in 2012.

Ryan’s press release went a step further: “The memorandum commits the two governments to facilitating the widespread availability of RTÉ services in Northern Ireland and BBC services in Ireland on a free-to-air basis.”

Good news for viewers, perhaps, but it caused quite a stir with pay TV operators NTL/ Chorus and Sky, who between them pay millions of euros each year to the BBC to carry their channels, which are hugely popular with Irish viewers.

They’re not impressed at the prospect of the Beeb being available for free on the public service DTT multiplex, a move that could potentially cost them subscribers.

This might also put the kibosh on the viability of a commercial DTT multiplex, which the Eircom-led OneVision consortium is trying to construct.

It would be hard for a commercial DTT operator to compete with a free-to-air DTT service that already offers RTÉ, TV3, TG4 and the BBC channels.

A source close to OneVision said this could potentially drive a “horse and coach” through its business plan.

Denis O’Brien has already walked away from DTT, handing back his licence last year.

Ryan’s deal might result in OneVision going the same way, not to mention some stiffly-worded correspondence from NTL/Chorus and Sky.

© 2010 The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

errrrrrr. correct me if I am wrong here but arent they already widely available free to air here via satellite???? as for sky complaining sure they are a foreign company broadcasting into a soverign nation which they refuse to pay any VAT on except for installs and always use the line that they are not regulated by the irish government but by the UK.... tough luck... I for one wont be crying over their spilt milk....thats my rant over....

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

The Cush wrote: »
    Not looking good right now for OneVision or possible EasyTV negotiations.

Hmm.. not good for OneVision, but I'm sure RTE and UPC are already looking at ways of making their application work.

RTE with the BBC input have a good free package already on the go. They need to capitalise on that with an equally exceptional bolt on of pay channels, with more free channels from the likes of Virgin or UKTV. That way you have Saorview, modelled closely on Freeview, with additional space (not available on freeview) for premium sports/movies etc.

It seems that RTE want to get this going, even if the Govt. has been stalling. What might develop could be a really good proposition. If you have channels able to sell advertising in Ireland available for free terrestrially - that will offset the cost of transmission.

People will look to Saorview (plus the pay element for add-ons) for second+ tvs as the outlay is so little and the installation so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anyone in spillover areas won't go with One Vision when they can get RTÉ 1, 2 and TG4 on Freeview in 2012.

• Advertisement

Interesting article. Well, as for Sky, that's life, if they want to get around this problem then let them seek regulation here and then they can argue against platform bias. Can't have both ways.

UPC on the otherhand could argue the point as they did before. But I suspect part of the arrangement to overcome this may be that the BBC could wave the royalty fees to them in return for them not causing any issues. Part of the agreement could be that RTÉ would wave carriage costs over NI cable in return for the BBC doing so here. If that were to happen, I'm sure UPC might drop any objections.

AS for here, Sky can talk to the BBC and UK Government themselves, they shouldn't cricitise if they were to think to,the Irish side here given they make no Irish programming (previously only Sky News Ireland) but derive subs and advertising revenue unlike UPC who actually are involved in channels (City Channels) and provide thus Irish programming.

This move was essential to make Saorview viable. Its probably then we mighn't see the Irish Film Channel or Oireachtas TV, but rather 3e and RTÉ News Now until ASO. I suspect in 2012 we could see City Channels join, IFC, Oireachtas TV.

Another option is for Onevision to only take 2 multiplexes to reduce rental costs and return 1 to RTÉ so they have 2 muxes at start with none extra at ASO to get. That would allow them have other UK channels as Saorview with One Vision at the subscription end.

End of day, given satellite's existence FTA, it was always going to be subscription channels like Sport, Music, Films & Adult that would make it work. And 2 muxes are sufficient with 2 more for HD.

I think this could work out as a stronger Saorview based around adverts and UK programming with maybe some new Irish programming, HD, the 2 new broadcasters, DCTV, City Channels and subscription channels and broadband.

FTA UK channels will help viability. I suspect UTV and TV3 may agree on simulcast and joint programme acquisitions. At this stage it makes sense for them to merge operations (or TV3 acquire UTV) into 1 entity, move TV3 programming into a UTV3 and with some to 3e and use the free slot for a News channel/documentary situation. As a single entity programme rights would cease to be a problem with either UK and NI news show on the merged channel or regional opt-outs.

Elmo wrote: »
    Anyone in spillover areas won't go with One Vision when they can get RTÉ 1, 2 and TG4 on Freeview in 2012.
    Agreed and like it or lump it,the existing vested interests duopoly of sky/upc will be faced with much of Dublin,most of North leinster,North Connaught and the 3 ROI Ulster counties having good fta reception of dtt from NI at their high power dso.

So thats a cat thats just waiting to be set among the pidgeons similar to the one on a much smaller scale that is presely/arfonBlaenplwyf availability in Wexford and wicklow and most likely in Blaenplwyf's case Dublin also.

If I was doing the due diligence report on one vision,I'd be saying forget it.
    Even triple play looks dodgy if the bbc's are free and most people get their itv programming via tv3.

I can see now the logic in RTÉ lately suddenly getting off the starting blocks properly with it's own saorview product that includes the bbc's.
    It makes perfect sense.
    For one thing,it will be neatly mentioned by RTE to big corporate advertisers,that they've an audience of 1.5 million more guaranteed.
    Thats going to mean RTE can ask more for advertising.

Of course if they put their mt leinster service on ch 39,they can claim a few hundred thousand more in south and west wales ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

scath wrote: »
    Interesting article. Well, as for Sky, that's life,

The article doesn't actually quote any representative of SKY complaining?
    It seems to be the journalist assuming so.

If SKY were that bothered by Free BBC, why don't they disable BBC1,2 on the EPG if someone cancels SKY!?

As i have said before, its TV3 etc that would be a lot more bothered by BBC being FTA on Irish DTT.

Antenna wrote: »
    As i have said before, its TV3 etc that would be a lot more bothered by BBC being FTA on Irish DTT.

TV3 are paying what I consider far below the cost of the network but I could be wrong. According to RTE NL they pay around 1.5million, while RTE state that 1 and 2 are allocated 20m each for their positions, I don't really understand these payments. And as I said before BBC don't sell advertising so TV3 won't care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Antenna wrote: »
    The article doesn't actually quote any representative of SKY complaining?
    It seems to be the journalist assuming so.

If SKY were that bothered by Free BBC, why don't they disable BBC1,2 on the EPG if someone cancels SKY!?

Can't! There is a legal requirement in the UK to carry BBC1 etc on 101, 102 and that is policed by Ofcom. also if they ditched BBC a lot of punters would walk to Freesat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭BoredNaMoaner

Wow.
    So after all these lengthy discussions with the various vested interests, Eamon Ryan decides to destroy the already tenuous argument for commercial DTT by allowing BBC FTA in the Republic. Does he understand what he has done? Did Onevision and Boxer not have a clause in the license to prevent this very thing? How long is the blame game going to be played now? RTE need to roll out DTT ASAP on the public MUX and Ireland needs to start preparuing for the ASO in 2012. Or are going to witness another futile round of negotiattions with EasyTV?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So after all these lengthy discussions with the various vested interests, Eamon Ryan decides to destroy the already tenuous argument for commercial DTT by allowing BBC FTA in the Republic. Does he understand what he has done?

He sort of does now, he was too thick to realise what he was doing when he negotiated the memorandum and issued lots of PR guff on it.

However while the PR bullsh1t has changed on the UK Culture ministry and DCENR sites ( both) the memorandum itself has not.

The fix is to get RTE to pay for carry and BBC to pay for carry, but that they sort of cancel each other out.

The only 'treaty obligation' up north is to carry TG4 , the word "ensure" probably mandates an EPG slot or FTA mux slot ....or both....for RTE/TG4 up north and the BBC down south :D

But Ryan is some thick arrogant muppet to negotiate and announce this memorandum while the Onevision bid is teetering on the brink and thereby leave him/RTE open to lawsuits :(

Well, the reality is that BBC is fta on satellite. If anything, this would encouarge people towards terrestrial to avoid subscription & for convenience instead of satellite. I don't think it necessarily scuppers things for one vision. Yes it makes the business case much harder. But there will be those who want subscription channels and don't want the bother of putting up a dish, so subscription for sports, movies, music adult will suit them grand. End of day, all One Vision would have to do is reduce by 1 mux pre ASO in return for lower license cost, that means RTÉ having 2nd full mux compliment at start. That'll allow RTÉ to promote Saorview on One Vision boxes.

To make Saorview viable it has to have fta channels (inc RTÉ DAB stations) from the UK be it carrying ads rather than via subscription. I think One Vision will have enough in 18 channels to provide Sports HD, Movies, Music, Films,commercial radio & DAB).

Why would people pay on DTT for something free on satellite. It only takes a newspaper for word to get out. So that was always a tenuous case, which I pointed out one time I emailed Boxer. This avoids the need for combi boxes.

So I wouldn't criticise Eamon Ryan at all on this, rather compliment him for bringing realism into the situation. Its up to One Vision to explore all possible business scenarios before sign off.

All this talk of BBC being FTA on satellite is irrelevant.

When Analogue is switched off, consumers who have been relying on FTA terrestrial TV to date will be forced to adopt new technology to continue watching. These consumers (the techno dregs for the most part) want to choose a platform that will allow them to continue to watch the Irish stations and BBC / UTV.
    RTE/TV3/TG4 is mandated by law to provide FTA, so these will be on the public MUX. Also, thanks to Eamon Ryan, BBC will be FTA. And as has been pointed out, a lot of UTV content is already also broadcast on TV3.
    So what is left for Onevision to offer on its paid service? UTV :D and a few other UK stations like Living TV that really no one could be that enthusiastic about. It could offer sports etc, but realistically, anybody who wants sports, movies etc. already has Sky. And Onevision expects consumers to pay 10 Euro a month for this? Get real.

Well no, channels that are subscription on satellite should be on DTT aswell, why should they be free on satellite and charged on DTT? That's what you're saying for the business case. Well Sky willl provide its channels wholesale to onevision who'll then charge. Yes, there will be new people who don't know about subscription channels but have to buy the One Vision box. They may try out subscription channels. If One Vision are competitive they could take subscribers off UPC and Sky.

I think the €10 a month offer is out the window. Nope, it'll start at €20.50 etc...it will be hard for Pay DTT no doubt, but there could be takers. Again this would be part of triple play from Eircom with broadband probably. I think the way around rights issues is joint programme acquisitions. In the case of UTV, it would make sense for Doughty to buy out UTV and bring in the UTV team as UTV3 and thus UTV and Tv3 could merge into UTV3, one one rather than 2 channels, with UK and Irish programming, the News from London wouldn't be outa place the freed up slot could be used could be used for a new Tv3 channel providing news, interesting programming, 3Today...

Wow.
    So after all these lengthy discussions with the various vested interests, Eamon Ryan decides to destroy the already tenuous argument for commercial DTT by allowing BBC FTA in the Republic. Does he understand what he has done? Did Onevision and Boxer not have a clause in the license to prevent this very thing? How long is the blame game going to be played now? RTE need to roll out DTT ASAP on the public MUX and Ireland needs to start preparuing for the ASO in 2012. Or are going to witness another futile round of negotiattions with EasyTV?
    RTE/TV3/TG4 is mandated by law to provide FTA, so these will be on the public MUX. Also, thanks to Eamon Ryan, BBC will be FTA. And as has been pointed out, a lot of UTV content is already also broadcast on TV3.

You appear to have missed the latest info - BBC will not be available FTA on terrestrial DTT. Information posted here yesterday afternoon.

That's an absolute disgrace.
    It just shows you how clueless Eamon Ryan and his department are.
    There's a chronic problem of non-joined-up thinking in the Irish government where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. In this case, Eamon Ryan has demonstrated that the left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

scath wrote: »
    I think the €10 a month offer is out the window. Nope, it'll start at €20.50 etc...it will be hard for Pay DTT no doubt, but there could be takers. Again this would be part of triple play from Eircom with broadband probably. I think the way around rights issues is joint programme acquisitions. In the case of UTV, it would make sense for Doughty to buy out UTV and bring in the UTV team as UTV3 and thus UTV and Tv3 could merge into UTV3, one one rather than 2 channels, with UK and Irish programming, the News from London wouldn't be outa place the freed up slot could be used could be used for a new Tv3 channel providing news, interesting programming, 3Today...
    TBH, I think OneVision's only hope of gaining inroads into DTT is to offer a package of about €10 a month. I can't see people jumping ship from UPC or Sky for basically a service that offers nothing new. Granted, they could gain a lot of ground from people signing up just to get a few channels on second TVs but who don't necessarily want to pay Sky/UPC for a "multiroom" subscription box. It will be very difficult to sell the likes of Sky Movies or Sky Sports since anyone who wants to subscribe to these channels will already have UPC or Sky, as someone else mentioned previously.

In an ideal situation, OneVision could be used to let Eircom branch more into a role of a content provider rather than just another carriage service, by providing a mix of DTT and IPTV. Since they own much of the country's broadband infrastructure, they could broadcast the highest rating, most requested channels across the commercial muxes, and then allow the STB to fall back to IP for less viewed channels. They could potentially provide hundreds of channels through the service but require very little actual broadcast bandwidth. This would then open the way for a true-VOD system in this country, similar to Virgin's CatchUp service or BT Vision, in the UK, where they could provide content from RTÉ Player, TV3's watch again service, a PPV movie/TV service offering thousands of titles and possibly even content from BBC iPlayer, 4oD, ITV Online etc.

But unfortunately, the reality is, this is Ireland. Severe underfunding and poor regulation has meant we have:
    (a) copper that simply can't handle DSL whatsoever (no good for IPTV)
    (b) copper that can just about support internet, but couldn't handle TV and internet at the same time (so no good for IPTV either)
    (c) copper that could support both but ironically, this is mainly in built up areas with a high penetration of wireless/cable internet so a lot of people won't have DSL!

Another thing to consider is that it's only a matter of time before Sky HD becomes the standard box that you get with sky.

So for the same price people are willing to pay for sky one and a lower resolution without recording facilities ?
    I don't think so Tim.

I'd agree,Ryan was obviously showing what little he knows when he made this mistake with free BBC on saorview..

I'll continue to take my free BBC from the 2 free sources available to me ie UK dtt and freesat thanks.
    I'd rather give the tenner a month to the Haiti appeals...

Another thing to consider is that it's only a matter of time before Sky HD becomes the standard box that you get with sky.

Sky to phase out SD receivers

• Advertisement

Yup thanks for that.
    Effectively,given the increasing proliferation of lcd's, that reduces the one vision market to the ill informed.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yup thanks for that.
    Effectively,given the increasing proliferation of lcd's, that reduces the one vision market to the ill informed.

hardly, sky are phasing out SD rx'ers to save themselves money on support etc, but to actually get HD channels you still need to pay €15 a month on top of your subs. You also really need to have sports or movies for it to be much good. So overall cost is getting up toward €100 a month, not really the same price as onevision at €10 a month (or more likely an add to your phone bill).

This whole DTT rollout has been such a tragic saga from the start. You would seriously have to question the agenda of government as a service deliverer. It seems pretty clear that the motivation behind the whole scheme has been to find a way to squeeze more revenue from the public. When a golden opportunity to make the project succeed presents itself, it is rejected because it doesn't line the pockets of cronies. Why on Earth would the Irish Government do anything for its people?

Ironically, the mandating of BBC FTA in the Republic could have spelt the success of DTT (non commercial) in Ireland. With the impeding ASO, FTA DTT would be a no-brainer for those currently using FTA analogue. It would also undermine the customer base of Sky and UPC, a goal in the original presentation of OneVision. It would also have meant that RTE would remain as the dominant media provider in the State. However, through re-embracing the failed commercial DTT model, the State curiously is inviting doom to RTE as more consumers choose alternatives like MPEG-2 overspill from the UK and Freesat.

You would wonder what was going through the heads of Eamon Ryan and his officials signing that MOU with the British. It is a given that BBC services will always be available to the Republic through a paid model. Clearly neither he nor his officials realized the implications of the decision. You would seriously wonder about the competency of these people to negotiate on the public's behalf when their strategic thinking is so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You would seriously wonder about the competency of these people to negotiate on the public's behalf when their strategic thinking is so poor.

This is what you get when people are elected on personality rather than skill sets:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

This is what you get when people are elected on personality rather than skill sets:rolleyes:
    Eamonn Ryan has a personality? I never knew that.
    Anyway what does this MOU document change for people down South? I cannot see anything.
    Is it not the case that BBC 1 and BBC 2 were going to be on at least subscription DTT in the South anyway. So the only people gaining from this "reciprocal" arrangement are our Northern brothers. Either way, Ryan is a total imbecile, or One Vision threw their toys out of the pram and threatened to pull out of the DTT deal. Or maybe both.:D
    If success on DTT for One Vision depends on BBC 1 and BBC 2 being subscription based, they may as well pull out now and stop wasting peoples time.
    And Ryan should have the integrity to stick by agreements instead of sneaking onto websites like a common criminal, changing stuff and hoping nobody would notice. What a complete tosser. When is the election?

I think the problem with this 'u-turn' is that it strengthens FTA satellite and will weaken the Irish DTT and cable platforms. This inevitably makes it easy for folks to switch to Sky if they want to watch subscription channels at a later date.

Rather the solution should have been to expand the FTA of UK terrestrials to cable also, to avoid platform bias and this would have enabled UPC to offer FTA channels for the first time on an equal basis with Irish DTT, or even to have offered DTT/UPC combi boxes so that cable could save spectrum while allowing Saorview to become a strong multiplatform 'Irish' brand.

If OneVision are basing their business plan on viewer ignorance then they will no doubt see their business plan come under pressure as it becomes know that monthly payments for same can be avoided with FTA satellite DTT combo boxes. And what will result? Out goes the Onevision box, replaced by a combi box. And what after that? The combi box gets replaced by a Sky box.

OneVision should be basing their business case on matching Sky subscription channels rather than on UPC.

UPC should be strategic about this, should be encouraging the Governmen to negotiate reducing of royalties on UK terrestrials for them to carriage only costs thus enabling Cable to match FTA satellite, offer FTA for the very first time perhaps even via a combi (FTA DTT, paid cable box).

What also of the programme rights issues. Have these been resolved? The solution to same is agreement to move NI programme rights into an island-wide joint broadcaster acquisitions arrangement on foreign programming so UK rights become 'mainland' only.

I think OneVision are making a mistake on this one. Okay the reason for people adopt it for UK terrestrials may have seemed attractive at first read for subscriptions. But what if it results in FTA satellite? It will be the loser because it is unlikely those who get in satellite would go back to Onevision again, they'd go to Sky for subscription channels. Heck they may even go to Freesatfromsky.ie whenever that happens, and such a move can't be ruled out. UPC would be losers also.

I have emailed same to the Dept & I will be interested if I get a response. I have urged re-engagement on the issue with stakeholders.
    I think OneVision need to have the vision that if Saorview is strong, it will encourage people to go to it for 'proper' subscription channels, comparable with other platforms instead of encouraing people accidently towards another platform by default (satellite) to 'save money'. UPC need to see the light on this also and ask the Dept to u-turn back to FTA BBC in Ireland and extend it to cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

If success on DTT for One Vision depends on BBC 1 and BBC 2 being subscription based, they may as well pull out now and stop wasting peoples time.
    And Ryan should have the integrity to stick by agreements instead of sneaking onto websites like a common criminal, changing stuff and hoping nobody would notice. What a complete tosser. When is the election?
    I totally agree. I only found this out today. What a loser is Eamonn.
    I wonder do Newstalk or somebody have plans to interrogate Ryan for his silght of hand and his general sliminess?

I totally agree. I only found this out today. What a loser is Eamonn.
    I wonder do Newstalk or somebody have plans to interrogate Ryan for his silght of hand and his general sliminess?

Just don't mention Noel, Sile, Frank, Dermot, Micheal and whoever else had the portfolio.

Newstalk won't go near him, sure their owners were once planning a similar service to One Vision :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I think that there are still quite a few people out there that don't know about the Freeview overspill from Wales and also the overspill there will be in many parts of the east coast and beyond after Northern Ireland's full higher powered digital switchover. Anybody else will be able to receive Freesat or use FTA satellite for all of the free stations. I think that everybody here on Boards should spread the word about all of these methods for us in Ireland to receive free UK channels in order to have the knowledge more widespread about the hundreds of channels available. It may result in a Freeview like service happening here in a few years with many more stations than just five on Saorview if a commercial agreement is signed. Word of mouth will go far. Sky is rubbish unless you are fanatical about sports. I wouldn't pay for their movies package. Their movies package is a joke to be honest, very few new movies and lots of repeated movies over and over.

• Advertisement

Today Tuesday 9th Feb is the 275th day of negotiations between OneVision and the BAI/RTÉ.

OneVision was awarded the licence on 11th May last year (Monday, 11 May 2009 to and including: Tuesday, 9 February 2010).

Boxer announced the withdrawal of its bid last April 20th on the 274th day (Monday, 21 July 2008 to and including: Monday, 20 April 2009).

I didn't expect the negotiations to last this long. Will they drag on to the end of March as the Minister said last Nov?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement