Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Unionists in the North of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

PaulieD wrote: »
    I would laugh at them to. Just out of interest, how may Polish reside in Ireland?

Is it 63,000 as the census suggests or over 200,000 as Conor Lenihan estimates?

Sorry to disappoint but I've no clue. I can tell that many have already left or are leaving, I definitely wouldn't base any calculations on PPS numbers issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Why do people on here crave "a thanks". Irish are a mere 1% of California, while the Mexicans, often illegal, are the majority.

Hmm... Obviously you have never been to California. You state that "fact" despite the fact that Cali has the largest White population in America. I'd say less than a third are Hispanic, nevermind Mexican. Congrats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

herya wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint but I've no clue. I can tell that many have already left or are leaving, I definitely wouldn't base any calculations on PPS numbers issued.

Many are still coming, as per the recent PPS numbers issued. As I always say, Ireland or Poland, which is better to sit out the global recession in?

Kurtza wrote: »
    Hmm... Obviously you have never been to California. You state that "fact" despite the fact that Cali has the largest White population in America. I'd say less than a third are Hispanic, nevermind Mexican. Congrats.

Hispanics are considered "white" by the FBI and by the general census. Arnie himself claimed the mexicans are a majority, but what would he know, compared to a boards.ie poster?

Mass immigration is one of the reasons Cali is bankrupt. Its one of the reasons Ireland is too.

Many are still coming, as per the recent PPS numbers issued. As I always say, Ireland or Poland, which is better to sit out the global recession in?

I'd say depends where your safety net is. Family and friends are usually where you come from. It's not fun to find yourself in a new country with no job, huge competition and with savings that with Irish living costs only buy you two weeks worth of rent & food. I've no friends or family who have come in recently, I have many who left so I might be biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

mike65 wrote: »
    Well the north of Ireland is Donegal in my world

So I guess it's centuries of common usage and accuracy versus your world then.

I'd say depends where your safety net is. Family and friends are usually where you come from. It's not fun to find yourself in a new country with no job, huge competition and with savings that with Irish living costs only buy you two weeks worth of rent & food. I've no friends or family who have come in recently, I have many who left so I might be biased.

25% of those on the welfare bill disagree, as those are foreign to Ireland. 40,000 decided to emigrate to Ireland. Over 10,000 of whom, are Polish.

Leaving, indeed.

25% of those on the welfare bill disagree, as those are foreign to Ireland. 40,000 decided to emigrate to Ireland. Over 10,000 of whom, are Polish.

Leaving, indeed.

The ones on welfare must have worked here before to earn it so they are not the ones who come here, smell the roses and head straight back.

And I can see the others leaving, I help them write their CV for employers back in Poland, so let's agree to disagree.

The ones on welfare must have worked here before to earn it so they are not the ones who come here, smell the roses and head straight back.

And I can see the others leaving, I help them write their CV for employers back in Poland, so let's agree to disagree.

You are obviously more informed on the situation than myself. We will see if you are right, but let it be said, we where told this from day one(2005)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

oh the poor people! are they persecuted now?
    Never said they were right - merely pointing out that Northern Ireland's Unionist working class has a siege mentality, in an economically depressed time, with a conservative and nationalist (and by nationalist I mean pro their nation, or perceived nation) which leads to far right politics fairly easily.

Leaving, indeed.

Those bástards. Working here long enough to get the tax credits to claim welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Im not going to let this go.... please explain yourself? :confused: Its in the North in my world too (geographically)... what in under Jesus has it to do with whats been talked about in this thread?

Never said they were right - merely pointing out that Northern Ireland's Unionist working class has a siege mentality, in an economically depressed time, with a conservative and nationalist (and by nationalist I mean pro their nation, or perceived nation) which leads to far right politics fairly easily.

Those bástards. Working here long enough to get the tax credits to claim welfare.

Glad you brought it up, Joe. Two years on minimum wage and you are entitled to 204 euro a week, child allowance(from day one), rent supplement and a medical card. Fair, I am sure you will agree.:rolleyes:

Where as in Poland, you are entitled to welfare after ten years!!!

Glad you brought it up, Joe. Two years on minimum wage and you are entitled to 204 euro a week, child allowance(from day one), rent supplement and a medical card. Fair, I am sure you will agree.:rolleyes:

And? What's your point? Should we let people who haven't been working for ten years starve?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

K-9 wrote: »
    LOL at the search term.
    For the sake of fairness and transparency:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=european%20elections%20left%20right&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&tab=nw

You are obviously more informed on the situation than myself. We will see if you are right, but let it be said, we where told this from day one(2005)

We'll see indeed. I'd be happy to see more statistics that actually make sense like close monitoring of active PPS numbers, how old they are etc.

Some real life situations for you: students come for the summer to visit their relatives living here & hoping for some sandwich bar job. If they don't get it (and they have no exp in Ireland plus often only basic language) they just have a holiday and are back for October but it's one more PPS no on the list.

Another common scenario - joining families. With the recession you can no longer support two households if the family is split so they need to decide if one of them goes back to Poland or the other one comes to Ireland. Might depend on whether their job here is safe enough, also for many people it was only a couple of years plan to work here so if this time is almost up they would rather go back when they have a good chance of getting a job there (and right now they have). I'd say in most cases it really boils down to whether they wanted to stay here for good from the start or whether it was only some temporary solution and they wanted back at some stage anyway.

And? What's your point? Should we let people who haven't been working for ten years starve?

We cannot afford to pay them to live in Ireland. Ireland is bankrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

How can they be alienated? They are a majority.

Not on the this island

I don't think it's true, where do you have it from?

You get your dole even if you've never worked at all, only it's a pittance and stops after a while. My graduate friends were on the dole for a moment, they've never worked. Various forms of social welfare are available even if you've never worked a day, health care is free as long as you're on the register. Admittedly the money is much much lower but so is the cost of living so it's not such a dramatic difference as it seems.

We cannot afford to pay them to live in Ireland. Ireland is bankrupt.

And? I'd love to kick all the scobes who sponge off the welfare sysyem out of Ireland, but we can't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hispanics are considered "white" by the FBI and by the general census. Arnie himself claimed the mexicans are a majority, but what would he know, compared to a boards.ie poster?

Mass immigration is one of the reasons Cali is bankrupt. Its one of the reasons Ireland is too.

California is nearly bankrupt because no revenue raising or spending cuts have been taken. Mismanagement of finances is the problem, not mass-immgration. Show me where these/your facts ly?

You are full of it.

• Advertisement

Checked it for you. It's definitely not true.

To get a regular Jobseeker's Benefit you need to work for 365 days over the previous 18 months. There are also other provisions for those who have not worked etc, roughly corresponding with JA rules here.

Social welfare, kids allowance etc do not require work history AFAIK but I'd have to read up on it. Health insurance is free for everybody who is working, on the register or otherwise recognised by the welfare office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Get with it. Did you sleep in for first class geography?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,673 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kurtza wrote: »
    California is nearly bankrupt because no revenue raising or spending cuts have been taken. Mismanagement of finances is the problem, not mass-immgration. Show me where these/your facts ly?

You are full of it.
    Not to mention the $1.4m that Los Angeles just spent on a Michael Jackson memorial service.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1615585/20090709/jackson_michael.jhtml

Shimona!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We need to counter the statement of these cheeky chaps up in the 'fast.

I propose the next Irish jockey to win at Aintree announce to all and sundry that "Northern Britain is for white Irish only!".

See if they like it up 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Racism in Belfast is not imbedded in Loyalsit/Unionist mentality, the facts of the situation are that housing in Republican/Natioinalist area's is more in demand (due to the on average higher birthrate of the Catholic Republican comunity over the last 50 years). Now given that few Unionists will move to Republican areas and vise versa, this leaves the majority of excess free housing in the Unionist areas, so this is where the foriegners move in.

In my opinion the racist outbursts are associated with loyalists/unionists as they are the side of the comunitywho will spend more time exposed to foriegners within their comunity.

I am not excusing their behaviour in any way, I think its the last thing Belfast (where im from (the unionist part)) needs. But I think it is a little niave to say this is a Unionist thing, loyalists are from a different planet, and republicans are angels who would behave in a completely different way!

The sad thing is, I think it is a Belfast (to a lesser extend Northern Ireland) thing. A minority of small closed minded (yet active and vocal) minority, tarnishing a majority. (just like the bad old days *sigh*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Im not going to let this go.... please explain yourself? :confused: Its in the North in my world too (geographically)... what in under Jesus has it to do with whats been talked about in this thread?
    Get with it. Did you sleep in for first class geography?

north of Ireland, Donegal - geographic area.

Northern Ireland (note capitals) political entity.

two different places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Horseshit.

Direct democracy and things like Prop 13 did more to shaft Cali than your "immigration" boogymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Appearently a crowd have formed the Ulster British People's Party " In Ulster today, there is a huge influx of Polish migrant workers.....The influx of migrants has also changed the political landscape and power of balance in area where Protestants are in the majority by only a few votes. This Roman Catholic migrant vote will at the very least go to the SDLP or worse, Sinn Fein/IRA ! Where once was a Protestant majority will quickly become a republican ghetto ! .....These is also the increase in crime from this migrant community throughout Ulster. Much of if kept quiet or unreported by the PSNI or the NIO least the 'true' reality of foreign criminality-rape, sexual assault, bank/credit card scams etc "

http://ubpp.webs.com/catholicpolishmigrants.htm

Appearently it's a breakaway of the BNP " One is the Ulster British People's party (UBPP), which is linked to a breakaway faction of the British National party. Following the campaign of vandalism and intimidation of the Roma families, the UBPP has bragged about further racially motivated violence ahead. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/21/race-northern-ireland-romanian-gypsies

They have been leafletting in Derry ( unionist areas ofcourse, not the Bogside, Creggan etc ;):D Carrickfergus etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mass immigration is the only reason California has any people in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

amacachi wrote: »
    Those lads do realise that they aren't British don't they?
    While I'm a nationalist when it comes to the situation up North, unionists are descended from the English and Scottish people who settled there over the centuries.

Therefore, they have perfect reason to claim that they are "British" as their ancestors came from Britain.

Advertisement