Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Unionists in the North of Ireland

Options
  • 09-07-2009 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Young racists have ordered immigrants to get out of Northern Ireland in days or face bomb attacks.

The chilling threat follows recent race-hate violence, which led to more than 100 Romanians fleeing their homes in Belfast.
    A letter from the youth wing of the Ulster Defence Association (UDA) was sent to the Belfast Islamic Centre, the Polish Association and Indian Community Centre.
    It warned: "No sympathy for foreigners, get out of our Queen's country before our bonfire night (July 11) and parade day (July 12).
    "Other than that your building will be blown up. Keep Northern Ireland white. Northern Ireland is only for white British."
    The letter was marked Ulster Young Militants and bore the logo of far-right group Combat 18.
    The police have said no organised group was behind the recent racist attacks.
    But the Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities disputed that during a meeting in Belfast today.

Spokesman Patrick Yu said: "I think there is no doubt it was organised against those families."
    The attacks on the homes of the Roma people in the mainly Protestant Village area of Belfast led to claims that Northern Ireland was the race-hate capital of Europe.
    Victims were forced to shelter in a church, which was then damaged by vandals, before they were given emergency housing.
    Mr Yu, executive director at the Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities (Nicem), said race-hate crime had grown steadily in recent years, with assaults, intimidation, harassment and robberies.
    In March there was violence between Polish football fans and local supporters.
    The Northern Ireland Executive of ministers has pledged to do its best to combat racism.

Dear oh dear.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

The BNP of Northern Ireland. I thought they were decomissioning or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

lordy
    what an incredible brand of idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Fairly inevitable reaction from a community that feels alienated and threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Spokesman Patrick Yu said: "I think there is no doubt it was organised against those families."

I've always wondered why Patrick's twin brother Fuc never gets his quotes published.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

How can they be alienated? They are a majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Sure, no probs.
    We'll take all the Romas & give 'em loads of dosh.
    We're an awful soft touch really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

mike65 wrote: »
    Donegal?

What??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

AH:

Well, obviously we really hate those Jaffa bastids we're outraged by this foul, racist attack on our multicultural brethren, but let's not be too sympathetic unless those free-loading Roma bastids are displaced down here the North must confront this malign cancer in their own society and learn to live together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

It warned: "No sympathy for foreigners, get out of our Queen's country before our bonfire night (July 11) and parade day (July 12).

Jeez make up your minds lads, they can't do both.

• Advertisement

Lol very true stovelid. typical of this forum really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

salonfire wrote: »
    What??? :confused:

Well the north of Ireland is Donegal in my world

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Originally Posted by Ulster Young Militants
    "No sympathy for foreigners, get out of our Queen's country before our bonfire night (July 11) and parade day (July 12).
    "Other than that your building will be blown up. Keep Northern Ireland white. Northern Ireland is only for white British."
    Seems they are boys men of few words.

I wonder can they be branded a 'terrorist' group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Those lads do realise that they aren't British don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Northern Ireland is only for white British.

They haven't really thought about this statement have they?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

First of all I'm opposed to the idea of nationalism as a political identity. Thats not to say I don't have great respect for individuals that history has recorded as 'Irish nationalists' (Wolfe Tone, Liam Mellows, Frank Ryan....) but that I see the limitations of nationalism as a political ideology.

Still, one can not deny that in the North of Ireland there is a clear division between communities when it comes to the left and the right. When driving to Derry we passed a unionist community where 'F*CK GAZA!' was spraypainted onto a wall in giant letters, with an Israeli flag flying opposite. By 'Free Derry Corner' I seen anti-fascist graffiti and Starry Ploughs flying in the air. Why is there such a divide?

I think anonymous_joe is spot on. The unionist community feel like they are being chased from "their wee country" by not just a republican minority but now ethnic minorities, who by and large are more sympathetic to the republican side of the conflict on the basis that it has much stronger roots in internationalism and a class approach.

The same bigots that threaten Chinese families are not doubt eating Chinese takeaways. One has to ask why one community has a much, much worse problem with racism than the other. When the idea of superiority is central to your social and political identity, maybe such knee-jerk reactions are to be expected.

I'm not denying racism exists in republican areas, racism exists in all areas without fail. I just have an issue with the manner in which the media treat these things as the result of living in Northern Ireland, and a 'Northern Irish thing'. They're not. So far, they've shown themselves to be the actions of the far-right wing of unionism.

Its up to decent people in the unionist community to take brave steps towards kicking the fascists and racists out of their own community. The Visteon Factory occupation public demos showed cross-community action is possible. I've no doubt progressive elements in the republican community would support any such venture by the unionist community, on the basis that such steps would be progressive in the long-term.

If your politics revolve around the idea of being the top half of a two-tier system, can you be surprised when racism emerges?

Kick the fascists out of every community, before they gain too much influence in any community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

K-9 wrote: »
    [/b]They haven't really thought about this statement have they?

I think they want to start some sort of house swopping scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

How can they be alienated? They are a majority.
    Because they were a marginal majority that dominated a nation, they're now a marginal majority that has a marginally higher representation in their parliament.

Also, there's a lot less pandering to the working class unionists, as parties strive to become more middle class.
    amacachi wrote: »

A lot of people don't realise it's a geographic term.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,673 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dear oh dear.:rolleyes:
    Wipe the smug off your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

amacachi wrote: »

They are. Anyone who holds a UK passport is known as 'British' - I've filled out enough bloody forms recently to know that for sure!

As for these muppets - you do get them in every country. I'd like to think their views weren't representative of the population as a whole, although there has been an alarming rise in racist attacks in my town. I get a lot of frosty stares when I go into shops until they hear my accent then it's all smiles and 'what gorgeous tanned skin, were ya on holidays?' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

While this sort of thing is sickening and not needed in the present climate, Marko(the op) is not Irish. He is an immigrant himself. How does one say agenda in Latvian, Marko?

Brow beat the Irish into multiculturalism, its the only way it will work.

We need a clear debate on immigration, free from those with agendas, immigrants and racists, and need to decide, as Irish men and women, where we see ourselves as a country. We have absorbed mass amounts of immigrants during the last 10 years, with little or no discussion on the subject by our government. That has to change, people have grave fears and they cannot continue to be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

If they are so patriotic, they should join the British Army and then go off and trash some unfortunate country.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mike65 wrote: »
    Donegal?

mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I'm glad it's the Unionists, they make our lot look good.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,673 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PaulieD wrote: »
    While this sort of thing is sickening and not needed in the present climate, Marko(the op) is not Irish. He is an immigrant himself. How does one say agenda in Latvian, Marko?

We need a clear debate on immigration, free from those with agendas, immigrants and racists, and need to decide, as Irish men and women, where we see ourselves as a country. We have absorbed mass amounts of immigrants during the last 10 years, with little or no discussion on the subject by our government. That has to change, people have grave fears and they cannot continue to be ignored.
    There ya go.

Its the same thing in the Republic. The sentiment against foreigners has been building up for a while now. The fact that the tinder has sparked in the North first is unsurprising for the pure fact their modern history is stained with violence on all fronts.

Its a matter of time before hatecrime sprees start happening in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

i hate racists - in any community
    Because they were a marginal majority that dominated a nation, they're now a marginal majority that has a marginally higher representation in their parliament.

oh the poor people! are they persecuted now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

A thought at Bedtime; brought to you by Overheal.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Its a matter of time before hatecrime sprees start happening in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Overheal wrote: »
    Its the same thing in the Republic. The sentiment against foreigners has been building up for a while now.

It's happening all over Europe - judging by the European elections.

PaulieD wrote: »

Mark Pantelic is a Serbian footballer who plays for Hertha Berlin.:rolleyes:

And no I'm not an immigrant, my grandparents were from Latvia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

dublin is not inherently racist (not all) and never since it has been irish governed had a minority pushing its will on majority
    we do not feel we are better than other (except in a jokey way)

Advertisement