Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugly man is Maddie suspect

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 raunch

Maddies story seems to be angoing saga, i hope that they do eventually get to the bottom of it so that everyone involved gets some closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

But they were white, middle-class professionals. And Maddie is a cute blonde white girl. If she were a poor, black child , nobody would care, particularly if she were a boy.

I am pretty sure that class trumps race in this case. And they are upper-middle class, not middle class. And well connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Acacia wrote: »
    But they were white, middle-class professionals. And Maddie is a cute blonde white girl. If she were a poor, black child , nobody would care, particularly if she were a boy.

In the six months she was headline news around 3,600,000 African children starved to death and God alone knows how many more were kidnapped or murdered. Not a whisper of one of them on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

asdasd wrote: »
    And well connected.

Yeah they have Oprah on the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

She's on a two year holiday in Austria. they should check basements of houses but that's a bit too obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

If this guy was just a normal tourist/local non-kidnapping type who was around at the time of maddie's disappearance now he has just been called ugly on national news. poor guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Iggy

Madelaine Mc Cann

World Hide-And-Go-Seek Champion

2007-pres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 raunch

It's just a drawing, but i feel sorry for the fella if there is something who actually does look like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

asdasd wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that class trumps race in this case. And they are upper-middle class, not middle class. And well connected.
    Yes, that's probably a lot to do with it, too.
    O'Coonassa wrote: »
    In the six months she was headline news around 3,600,000 African children starved to death and God alone knows how many more were kidnapped or murdered. Not a whisper of one of them on the news.

But, y'know, they're poor people who's parents aren't doctors... they don't count as tragic news. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah in fairness, the McCanns have the werewithal to use the media, the parents of those African kids don't - it's sh1tty but you can't blame the McCanns for it. Blame the media for picking and choosing (and prioritising ad/circulation revenue).
    Vain wrote: »
    Not wise to be saying you like little girls:rolleyes:
    Where did he say that? (The rolleyes symbol makes it look serious rather than joking).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How much have they raised in donations, and how much has been spent on publicity trips ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah in fairness, the McCanns have the werewithal to use the media, the parents of those African kids don't - it's sh1tty but you can't blame the McCanns for it. Blame the media for picking and choosing (and prioritising ad/circulation revenue).

Where did he say that? (The rolleyes symbol makes it look serious rather than joking).

Should the media be blamed for them neglecting their children? When they could have easily afforded a minder? Or one of them could have stayed at home? Or locked the door?

In most cases I would very much agree with your sentiment (I've said it over and over about Jade Goody) but in this case there's an added layer of nastiness.

SDooM wrote: »
    Should the media be blamed for them neglecting their children? When they could have easily afforded a minder? Or one of them could have stayed at home? Or locked the door?
    But isn't the McCanns' holding some responsibility for what happened a separate issue? What's being focused on here is the disproportionate coverage of this case in comparison to children who go missing in Africa and Asia... and I just would not blame the McCanns for using all the resources at their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

How much have they raised in donations, and how much has been spent on publicity trips ?

I don't know - How much ? And your point is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

greendom wrote: »
    Fair play to them in managing to get so much publicity and diverting the focus away from what really happened.
    FYP.

Using the money raised to jet around the world, looking for Maddie? Ya. Right.

Why not donate the money to the agencies that hunt down child paedo rings? Face it, there's many better ways they could use the money raised.

Because they're naturally pouring all their energy into finding their daughter. Selfish maybe, but understandable and what any parent would do (yeah, they left her unsupervised that night - I agree it was a grave error, but the guilt is probably likely to make them even more pro-active in their search). I doubt they're trying to "divert attention from what happened", I'd say they're simply desperate to find their first-born, and willing to do whatever it takes to find her.

It's actually scary how many adults I see doing the exact same thing. They come in to where I work, leave their kids (once or twice no older than Maddie) into a movie for a few hours while they go off somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I still don't believe that the "Big Bad (in this case) Ugly Man" took her. I'm sorry, I don't. Its too...convenient.

Oh and remembering what he looks like after all this time? Balls, I can barely remember what my family looks like after a week, never mind what some bloke that I may have seen 2 years ago on the street in a resort in a different country looks like.

I still call shenanigans.

But isn't the McCanns' holding some responsibility for what happened a separate issue? What's being focused on here is the disproportionate coverage of this case in comparison to children who go missing in Africa and Asia... and I just would not blame the McCanns for using all the resources at their disposal.

Fair enough, that wasn't the point I was making in this thread at all.

It's a played argument but it's because it's true, if this was chavs we were talking about do you think the other children would have been taken away from them?

This was my point.

Because they're naturally pouring all their energy into finding their daughter. Selfish maybe, but understandable and what any parent would do (yeah, they left her unsupervised that night - I agree it was a grave error, but the guilt is probably likely to make them even more pro-active in their search). I doubt they're trying to "divert attention from what happened", I'd say they're simply desperate to find their first-born, and willing to do whatever it takes to find her.

True.

Why did they go to America so? Was there any indication she was there?

• Advertisement

True.

Why did they go to America so? Was there any indication she was there?

Probably because American media and tv shows are more likely to be broadcast around the world than .. say .. British. Thus heightening awareness.

Does there have to be an indication though? And they were probably using the American media - a valuable resource.
    if this was chavs we were talking about do you think the other children would have been taken away from them?
    Oh I completely agree, but I thought we were focusing on the disproportionate media attention. :)

As for "Ah I'd say they done it - shur a parent who hadn't killed her wouldn't be going to so much trouble" :confused: ... That just seems like people itching for a bit of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Oh yes, I agree. People get bored hearing about foreign kids they don't know or care about. I suspect the Maddie case got so much coverage because it was very close to home for a lot of people. Not her fault or her parents', but just the way the cynical media operates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

It took the Portugese police 2 years to draw up that. Still, it's progress from the egghead sketch they originally had. Another 5 years and we might be told what he was wearing.

Does there have to be an indication though? And they were probably using the American media - a valuable resource.

Oh I completely agree, but I thought we were focusing on the disproportionate media attention. :)

As for "Ah I'd say they done it - shur a parent who hadn't killed her wouldn't be going to so much trouble" :confused: ... That just seems like people itching for a bit of drama.

I agree about the "McCanns r killors" thing, but the McCanns not being treated like anyone else in my minds eye is connected to the media attention they have recieved. Personally I believe if they weren't so much in the limelight they'd have been in trouble by now. I accept I have no evidence for that... just seems like they're getting away with murder neglect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Mrs JackDaniels

Fair enough, that wasn't the point I was making in this thread at all.

It's a played argument but it's because it's true, if this was chavs we were talking about do you think the other children would have been taken away from them?

This was my point.

Have to say I agree with you 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I think the McCanns are being very optimistic in thinking that shes alive. The person/s that kidnapped her are more than likely peadofiles (sp?) I think theres a statistic somewhere that shows most predators kill their victims within 24 hours.

I agree about the "McCanns r killors" thing, but the McCanns not being treated like anyone else in my minds eye is connected to the media attention they have recieved. Personally I believe if they weren't so much in the limelight they'd have been in trouble by now. I accept I have no evidence for that... just seems like they're getting away with murder neglect. :)
    I agree with you. The low-brow media have decided to go with the "let's all HUG the McCanns" angle, whereas the better quality publications/programmes are more likely to chastise them for being grossly irresponsible (and they were).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

All ugly people will be fúcked. Internment here we go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

All ugly people will be fúcked. Internment here we go!

Oh, for ffs.

There is no need for internment. This is a democracy. We have laws and due process.

No, we need ugly trials. Where a jury of their peers gets to convict and imprison their ugly co-citizenry.

Advertisement