Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

Have to say that I had a meal in Tango last month - I hyped it up to the lady friend to the heavens after what I'd read about it here - and it was frankly a huge disappointment.

It wasnt not-nice - it just wasn't spectacular. I had a chilli chicken dish which was nothing better than mediocre. And the place was eerily quiet for what was 8pm on a Saturday night, to the point of being offputting.

Have to say I agree. My wife and I went there last Saturday on the strong recommendation of friends (whose opinion in matters restaurant we would trust) who had been extolling the virtues of the €19 mid week menu.

Our meal was ok, but it wasn't "spectacular"; our expectations had been raised a bit high, maybe? The approach is a bit unusual, but once you're in the surroundings are good (it was very quiet) and service was very polite and reasonably attentive. I had the fillet beef and it tasted more poached than I'd have expected. But we'll give it another go in the week. Saturday cost two of us €85 plus a tip (and we did not, I assure you, go mad)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MISSEYMOON

The quote above appears a bit suspect, saying you believe its nice, implies you haven't actually been there, so how can it be one of your fave places?? Its either one thing or the other!!

After trying to pick somewhere recently to satisfy a variety of tastes (including fussy, plain eaters!) Went with the Black Bull, because a) It's walking distance and b) It does nice steaks for the plain eaters. Result: 6 at the table and 6 were delighted with every course. Have to mention Seamus, who attendance to service restores hope!!

Hawkeye4real, I'm someone who has been to Bia actually and I can verify it's highly recommendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I'm a bit of a traditionalist...I really like the Glenside and the Boiled Onion, I had a lovely pizza in Romanza a while back but for me you can't beat the pizzas in Sorrentos. Just realised I've lived in the town all my life and have never been to the famous Pizzaria at the bottom of Peter St..must try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 juliogoose

hi, first post. i was wondering if anyone knows what is happening with 'monks' down on the quays. it used to be a great spot for brekkie and coffee. been away for a few years so not up to date with local eating spots.
    all recomendations welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 voodooqueen

Can anyone tell me why there is such a distinct lack of decent restaurants in the drogheda area?? I was a chef for years and used to work in the D when it was good! Has anyone eaten there lately? Looking for somewhere nice to go but keep going back to the eastern sea bar as it seems to be the only place around where you can actualy have a decent meal and not get ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

hi, first post. i was wondering if anyone knows what is happening with 'monks' down on the quays. it used to be a great spot for brekkie and coffee. been away for a few years so not up to date with local eating spots.
    all recomendations welcome.

Like yourself I lived away for a number of years till recently and havent noticed Monks any longer - supposedly jaffa's in Dyer Street next to the courts is grand for breakfast.

Had a nice Breakfast Bagel in Jaffas this morning, nice spot. Went to Bella Atina last night on the North Quay, nice food but slow service, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try it again at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

Just noticed a new place open on West Street (near Wards), serving things like sushi and ramen and stuff, anyone been in it yet? I was thinking of getting something from there, but would like some opinions first.

Just noticed a new place open on West Street (near Wards), serving things like sushi and ramen and stuff, anyone been in it yet? I was thinking of getting something from there, but would like some opinions first

If it's the place opposite Julio's I suppose it's ok to try it, the same people had this as Fast Bites for the last few months and when passing by not 1 person was ever in it. They have since changed it on the outside and obviously opened up what you say. I'd expect it to be closed down within a few months, a sushi bar in the middle of Drogheda isn't going to excite the locals. If the burger bar didnt take off i doubt this will, it's a shame because the 4 lanterns that used to be there many moons ago was a goldmine, it was packed 24/7. The same with Jumping Jacks just up the road from it, 2 places always busy but there is nothing there anymore like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Famous45 wrote: »
    If it's the place opposite Julio's I suppose it's ok to try it, the same people had this as Fast Bites for the last few months and when passing by not 1 person was ever in it. They have since changed it on the outside and obviously opened up what you say. I'd expect it to be closed down within a few months, a sushi bar in the middle of Drogheda isn't going to excite the locals. If the burger bar didnt take off i doubt this will, it's a shame because the 4 lanterns that used to be there many moons ago was a goldmine, it was packed 24/7. The same with Jumping Jacks just up the road from it, 2 places always busy but there is nothing there anymore like that.

Now there a blast from my past, manys a happy lunch break from school spent in there and then up to the whitworth hall for games.
    Then the 4 lanterns turned into my last port of call when stumbling home on a drunken night out:D

• Advertisement

Remember the "Big 4"? Basically the 4 Lanterns version of the Big Mac..it was lovely as well with its own "special sauce" which in hindsight was probably Thousand Island dressing! Good drunken memories in there as well. That part of the town is turning into a ghostown, sad to see.

Remember the Big 4 alright.

Just thought I would let u know that Redz restuarant is moving to Daly's in Donore, they are turning the restaurant into a disco bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Remember the Big 4 alright.

Just thought I would let u know that Redz restuarant is moving to Daly's in Donore, they are turning the restaurant into a disco bar.

Shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was it snackmaster that was on dominic street have hazy memories of being in there:rolleyes:

whelan1 wrote: »
    was it snackmaster that was on dominic street have hazy memories of being in there:rolleyes:

Ah yes thats another good drogheda memory for us drunkards, open till any hour in the morning and if the door was locked, a quick knock on the door, owner would take a peep round the door and if he knew you , come on in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Yes!! Served wine until all hours, chased you onto the street if you tried to do a runner!! Dominic st has never been the same...

snackmaster

Done more runners from there than ive had hot dinners, auld foreign geezer used to always head out the back and it would be trap 6 out the door :D

...then to the kiosk for a cab home

Remember the Hot Pot chip shop in Laurence street ?

Finest chipper ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

If my recollection serves me right, they did a fantastic TIP TOP burger. Wonderful after a few hours of snooker in the Whitworth.

• Advertisement

what was the name of the chipper where the golden bowl is now

what was the name of the chipper where the golden bowl is now

La Mirage i think ?
    My memory of drogheda amazes me sometimes:D

Yeah the La Mirage, they done the nicest chips ever, crinkle cut ones, oh man, and then the arcade games to the left, what a place.

Hot Pot

Different class.

Burgers were delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

Done more runners from there than ive had hot dinners, auld foreign geezer used to always head out the back and it would be trap 6 out the door :D

wow this post is populated by a petty criminal (aka infamous45) but a racist to boot. where is the moderator now for some moderation. a chinese chef was stabbed in wheaton hall last week as he was locking up , you want to laugh about that as well.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The moderator is here. If you've a problem with a post can you please use the report function.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭positron

I just did. I agree kinda with 'talisker' on that. Famoust45 probably meant it in a 'good old days' sorta way - but there is no denying that its not nice.

Famous45, now that you grown up and in employment etc, would you consider going back to the 'old geezer' and paying him what you really owe him? Remember 'My Name is Earl' on telly? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The post doesn't contain any racist content. If you've a problem it then please take it to PM as this thread is about restaurant reviews. Thanks.

ok back to the discussion went to donegans on sunday for lunch waited nearly 30 minutes for our meal - ok you could wait this long in the evening but this was awful with 3 kids - never again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clegster

myself and my hubbie popped into Romanza for lunch on Friday and it was one of the worst meals i had in years. I ordered the whole John Dory and was offered a gurnard instead (completely different fish and the gurnard is much much cheaper) so i opted for the paella which had a lot of sea food (not the monk fish as advertised) the dublin bay prawns were raw and the whole grain rice slimey with a nasty taste, hence the sea food was ruined. My husband went for a salmon penne dish and the cheap value brand penne past was horrible. Neither of us ate our meal and left the place hungry! Oh and who painted the yellow tulip it's terrible. The only good thing i could say about the place is that the young waitress was very friendly.

Advertisement