Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

copacetic wrote: »
    coming off the ferry? what did they ask you? You don't have to have done anything at that stage?

Agreed can only speak from my experience and have never been stopped or seen anyone been stopped coming off ferry and have never been asked when I brought car in either @ VRO.

Have heard people who have come in after being stopped on road by customs asked when they brought car in and said 'ah sure a few months back'. VRO officials generally don't bat an eyelid, they just want to get the vrt paid.

I agree they don't check everyone but they can look at the bill of sale or when Swansea registered the transfer and charge you the VRT based on those dates. They can get really nasty with penalties/confiscation if they want and are certain to do so if you get caught out with a bent story.

I know one guy working in Dublin with a NI address and accent to match. He got stopped by Customs last year in Dublin about his NI plates. He told them he was working in Dublin for a week or two occasionally. He worked for a company with offices North and South so reckoned he was well covered.

While he waited, they checked him out and told him he had an Irish PRSI number and was domiciled here for some time. He walked home after they impounded the car and they missed no extra when he got to clearing it plus they applied VRT back when he registered it in NI. I think he may have been fined too but wasn't inclined to open up as he looked enough of a twit for being caught after rubbing his workmates noses in it for the previous years and several cars.

"A few months back" for an import date is a red rag to a bull to the mobile customs who'll probably impound it on the spot. FYI they'll also impound a UK/NI car if it's not the UK registered owner driving it e.g. wife or SO. You tend not to hear about these incidents unless you know the people as no-one likes admitting to being caught.

I think they may have been particularly voracious last year because of the CO2 changes to VRT but Government Finances -such as they are- will have them motivated to maximize income this year so the VRO may start looking for proof of import date or transfer of ownership too. With access to your PRSI details you won't get away with much.

Bottom line is Customs have serious powers and they have left plenty of people at the side of the road for not complying with the allowed number of days to clear the car. To be fair to Customs I've only known 'hard cases' get impounded and frankly had no sympathy for them as the rest of us have to make up for them scamming VRT and not payng road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

stupid question,

if i bring a car in from the UK on a saturday, does it mean i cant drive it until monday when the VRT office is open? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ammg

I have an 06 Primera which I would like to replace with an 09 QashQai 1.5 Diesel - I think I will save some money by heading north - if I can get them to take a trade in. Help:)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Daibheid wrote: »
    I agree they don't check everyone but they can look at the bill of sale or when Swansea registered the transfer and charge you the VRT based on those dates. They can get really nasty with penalties/confiscation if they want and are certain to do so if you get caught out with a bent story.

I know one guy working in Dublin with a NI address and accent to match. He got stopped by Customs last year in Dublin about his NI plates. He told them he was working in Dublin for a week or two occasionally. He worked for a company with offices North and South so reckoned he was well covered.

While he waited, they checked him out and told him he had an Irish PRSI number and was domiciled here for some time. He walked home after they impounded the car and they missed no extra when he got to clearing it plus they applied VRT back when he registered it in NI. I think he may have been fined too but wasn't inclined to open up as he looked enough of a twit for being caught after rubbing his workmates noses in it for the previous years and several cars.

"A few months back" for an import date is a red rag to a bull to the mobile customs who'll probably impound it on the spot. FYI they'll also impound a UK/NI car if it's not the UK registered owner driving it e.g. wife or SO. You tend not to hear about these incidents unless you know the people as no-one likes admitting to being caught.

I think they may have been particularly voracious last year because of the CO2 changes to VRT but Government Finances -such as they are- will have them motivated to maximize income this year so the VRO may start looking for proof of import date or transfer of ownership too. With access to your PRSI details you won't get away with much.

Bottom line is Customs have serious powers and they have left plenty of people at the side of the road for not complying with the allowed number of days to clear the car. To be fair to Customs I've only known 'hard cases' get impounded and frankly had no sympathy for them as the rest of us have to make up for them scamming VRT and not payng road tax.

i think there is a misunderstanding here, if you read the post mine was in reply to:
    I recall hearing that they monitor ferry passenger lists so they may well be aware of your movements.
    I do believe that the last budget introduced a new system whereby you had to prove when you brought the car in.

My response was that in general you certainly don't have to prove when you brought car in.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Would they enforce the "law" if the said imported car was a week shy of the 6 months old rule. My ideal time to collect is the week before its 6 months birthday.....

Thanks

W.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ammg wrote: »
    I have an 06 Primera which I would like to replace with an 09 QashQai 1.5 Diesel - I think I will save some money by heading north - if I can get them to take a trade in. Help:)

www.charleshurst.ie
    They say in their ad they'll take your trade in, wht not put them to the test?
    let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Would they enforce the "law" if the said imported car was a week shy of the 6 months old rule. My ideal time to collect is the week before its 6 months birthday.....

Thanks

W.

I had a conversation with the lady in the local VRT office around the lines of driving around for a few days to meet the 6000 kms rule and was told that they would look for the invoice for when the car was bought. I would say that for a borderline case they would check ... I wouldn't recommend gambling that one with all that VAT money at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm sure if you were up on the 5800 mark the dealer wouldn't mind rounding off the invoice to 6000kms.. (or the equivilant miles.)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ammg

Where can I get a list of the car-van makes that are covered by Category C

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would they enforce the "law" if the said imported car was a week shy of the 6 months old rule.
    If you were them, wouldn't you? Do not chance it! Wait until after the 6 month birthday; get the receipt dated after that date.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

copacetic wrote: »
    i think there is a misunderstanding here, if you read the post mine was in reply to:

My response was that in general you certainly don't have to prove when you brought car in.

You can take it I read the post before responding to it and I don't think I misunderstood it. You've provided some good solid information on this thread and my post was to add to that and address the point you made on proving import dates. I think it could lead people into a sense of complacency regarding import dates and trying to get the OMSP for VRT down by skulking around for a few months on yellow plates.

I also listed some of the proofs they could use or ask for to make people aware that bringing the car in and hiding it in a shed for a few months could also catch you out.

Whether they elect to ask for proof or not is their perogative but if they do and you can't provide it you're at their mercy. With all the Big Brother speed cameras and the new Garda number plate recogniton systems, plus there's always the chance someone will 'drop a dime' to the Customs and the ferry records you mentioned, there are plenty of ways to get caught out with a false declaration on an import date but I hope people can now make a more informed risk assessment.

BTW copacetic that was a great find on the money transfer service - can you fund them online from your own account and how long did it take to get the money to them and ready to transfer? Their site seemed to suggest it takes a while to get the red tape set up out of the way

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Daibheid wrote: »
    BTW copacetic that was a great find on the money transfer service - can you fund them online from your own account and how long did it take to get the money to them and ready to transfer? Their site seemed to suggest it takes a while to get the red tape set up out of the way

I think you can fund them online, but you would have to set up their account with your bank to allow it, which would take a few days with BOI anyway as they send you something to sign to add accounts now?

I did the transfer in a BOI branch (I'm BOI and so are they). They had the money 5 mins later. I think someone about said it took 15 mins getting money from an Irish Permanent account to them this way.

If you are transferring more than 13k their are money landering rules, which mean they can't do it without your photo id or passport on file. This could take a few days or you can drop into them in college green to do it quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

See also Tranzfers.

Not used them personally, but looks pretty similar to the service offered by Transfermate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dpower

Just thought I'd recount my experience for the benefit of others.

Bought a Saab 93 over the weekend- got a great price and all went well with the dealer.
    headed down to the VRO office in Naas having checked the VRT price on the website. I was open and honest about the spec of the car. It's a Vector model so it's got alloy wheels and leather.

She told me that she would have to check with Rosslare as these "extras" will have an impact on the VRT amount. I countered that these were not extras and come as standard on this particular model (which is true) and she told me that what's standard on my car may not be standard on an Irish version. I told her I had checked this too and that it's also standard on Irish models (it is). She still insisted that she would have to check with Rosslare. So I was sent packing with a note to say VRT is being assessed.

Beware the VRT calculator. There's some small print at the end:

"3. Additional VRT may be payable if the vehicle is fitted with chargeable enhancements/accessories. "

I'm confident that this will be resolved in my favour, but others may not be so lucky. That is, I hope I'm lucky. God only knows what they'll come back with. I'll keep you posted...

The real pain in the ass is time I have to take of work for this nonsense.
    What happened to benefit of the doubt?

hi dpower,

yeah, they are all drones in there. When someone comes in a with any kind of decent spec car its like they go into a transe and chant to themselves "must fax off chassis number to rosslare",must fax off chassis number to rosslare",must fax off chassis number to rosslare"................

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Is the motor Oracle in Rosslare? Oh tell us mighty Oracle...

Anyone know how long that VRT site has been in operation? Not the best is it... I noticed a few specs not included for 08 cars even though they also on sale here.

its a rubbish site, like the Fas one. Probably got ridden on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Car is now at my place so....

1> Brother went over to pick it up for me and the guy put his name on the invoice....does this mean I am s$&*($£d as far as registering it in my name??
    Waiting on the V5 form and hoping the guy over there didn't put his name on that too.

2> If I wait until Feb 2nd to VRT it will they charge me for January?

3> I need an NCT on the 05 car as HPI check said it was first registered on 3/6/05??

Get the guy to e-mail you another invoice with your name on it. Check has he sent in the V5 yet. Your brother really should have got the V5 into his hand.

VRT is not charged on a monthly basis.

Afaik, NCT will be due to be done in June. Open to correction.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »

Aye but since it will be the first NCT it can be done 6 months early. So really it's due whenever the car comes over. Sooner the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm sure this has been covered allready but I don't have the time to read through 100 pages this morning! Question: After importing and paying VRT Iwill not receive my VLC until I pay the road tax. Can I pay the tax for just three months or do I have to pay the full twelve? I.e; if I pay the three months will the VLC arrive in the door with my tax cert?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

esel wrote: »
    Get the guy to e-mail you another invoice with your name on it. Check has he sent in the V5 yet. Your brother really should have got the V5 into his hand.

VRT is not charged on a monthly basis.

Aye but since it will be the first NCT it can be done 6 months early. So really it's due whenever the car comes over. Sooner the better.

thanks lads

But if the new owners name (mine) has to be added....surely he wouldn't have known that until the day he sold it and therefore cannot pass on the V5?

So they will charge me for January on VRT as thats when the invoice of sale is.....so might as well register it when I get the form in the mail?

So if you register the car they disregard the fact that June is when this car was first registered?
    I thought you had to NCT it if it was 4 years or older?
    Grace period till June would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

As quoted from the dublin metro daily paper:
    so-called "quallifying" vehicles like the VW passat are exempt from VAT for EU nationals when purchased in the UK
    Can anybody explain what this really means? and is these a list of such vehicles?

Thanks

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Miccko

Hi all,

Great thread - taken me a while to read through it all!

This is my first time buying a car, so a bit of advice from those who've gone before would be great.

The dealer has offered 1,000 off the price over the phone - should I haggle hard for more? I told him I'd think about it...

I suggested getting an independent RAC check done - dealer said it wasn't necessary as they're a main dealer and the car is an 08 reg demo model in perfect condition. It's a BMW main dealer and has most of the 3 year warranty left. I know their checks aren't "independent", but would anyone still get the RAC check done on a 6 month old car with hardly any mileage?
    If I was buying the same car in Joe Duffy BMW, I probably wouldn't, but maybe that's not a wise thing to do either! I can check a few things online myself anyway.

Any other advice - I might have to get them to date the invoice in the future, given that the car is so close to the 6 month threshold and is below 6,000km.

Any other questions I should ask - I forgot to ask about V5, so I'll do that next time I'm chatting to him, but I presume he has the whole thing since it's a demo.

Cheers,

Micko

Miccko wrote: »
    Any other advice - I might have to get them to date the invoice in the future, given that the car is so close to the 6 month threshold and is below 6,000km.
    Welcome to Boards! You won't get advice here on doing something which could be considered illegal though. You should be aware that you will have to pay VAT as well as VRT if either of the following are the case: the car is less than six months old, or has less than 6000km on the clock. So, even if the car is two years old but has done less than 6000km, VAT is payable.

Not your ornery onager

Hi Esel,

Thanks for the reply. As I said, I read through the entire thread, so I'm aware of the VAT/VRT issue, and I've no intention of doing anything illegal. The car is 6 months old.

Really just wondering on peoples thoughts on getting an independent check done on a nearly new car from a main dealer.

Cheers,

Micko

Hi Esel,

Thanks for the reply. As I said, I read through the entire thread, so I'm aware of the VAT/VRT issue, and I've no intention of doing anything illegal. The car is 6 months old.

Really just wondering on peoples thoughts on getting an independent check done on a nearly new car from a main dealer.

Cheers,

Micko

I wouldn't bother to be honest. If it's a demo it obviously hasn't left there place. Save yourself the few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Hi all,

Great thread - taken me a while to read through it all!

This is my first time buying a car, so a bit of advice from those who've gone before would be great.

The dealer has offered 1,000 off the price over the phone - should I haggle hard for more? I told him I'd think about it...

I suggested getting an independent RAC check done - dealer said it wasn't necessary as they're a main dealer and the car is an 08 reg demo model in perfect condition. It's a BMW main dealer and has most of the 3 year warranty left. I know their checks aren't "independent", but would anyone still get the RAC check done on a 6 month old car with hardly any mileage?
    If I was buying the same car in Joe Duffy BMW, I probably wouldn't, but maybe that's not a wise thing to do either! I can check a few things online myself anyway.

Any other questions I should ask - I forgot to ask about V5, so I'll do that next time I'm chatting to him, but I presume he has the whole thing since it's a demo.

Cheers,

Micko

Absolutely no need to get a RAC check done. Your buying a top quality car in warrenty. What model is it and how much is he asking for? Can advise then on price....

It's a 320i M-Sport. 23k asking price, but I've got him down a grand. Seems pretty reasonable to me, but if I can get another few quid off...all the better!

Couple of extras like leather, bluetooth, but nothing more than that.

• Advertisement

should have said that it's a coupe...although thats probably obvious from the price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement