Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Judging by the pixmania specs, it aint mpeg4, mpeg2 only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dowlingd

thanks for your replies, such a shame seemed like a good deal but I will aim to future proof whatever I end up getting. happy new year :) thanks

dowlingd wrote: »
    thanks for your replies, such a shame seemed like a good deal but I will aim to future proof whatever I end up getting. happy new year :) thanks

Its still very well specced at 549£ though.; You could just get a mpeg4 stb when they come ye know. There are even unofficial mpeg4 dtt/freesat boxes available now

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Can confirm that the Sony KDL-W4000 works fine with the Digital Broadcasts. Living in Douglas Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

SkySter wrote: »
    Can confirm that the Sony KDL-W4000 works fine with the Digital Broadcasts. Living in Douglas Cork.

Yes W4000 and V/W4500 are Irish DTT compatible but V4000 is not

• Advertisement

SkySter wrote: »

Good to know. Gettin that tv next week!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is a cracking tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

slegs wrote: »
    Yes W4000 and V/W4500 are Irish DTT compatible but V4000 is not
    Yes, but surely depending where you buy them from.

boopolo wrote: »

Dont think that matters. Afaik, sony tvs are the same across Europe so if you buy a w4000 in the UK, it should still have an mpeg4 tuner despite the uk not using mpeg4

boopolo wrote: »

Sony make a standard European spec for their major models (V,W,X,Z etc). When selling the V4500 for example in Ireland and UK they say it is MPEG2 compliant and don't highlight that it is also MPEG4 but when selling the same unit in France they make a big play of the MPEG4 HD compatibility of the DVB-T tuner.

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Dont think that matters. Afaik, sony tvs are the same across Europe so if you buy a w4000 in the UK, it should still have an mpeg4 tuner despite the uk not using mpeg4

Yes I bought my W4000 in the UK and can confirm MPEG4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 inky1

Do all LG HD tvs not have a mpeg4 tuner?

does any one know if the LG 22LS4d has mpeg 4 compatability please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

inky1 wrote: »
    Do all LG HD tvs not have a mpeg4 tuner?

does any one know if the LG 22LS4d has mpeg 4 compatability please

I can't find the manual on LG website, but Richer Sounds says its Freeview Compatible, which is MPEG2 format...it DOES NOT say if it is Freesat HD compatible which would be the MPEG4 format so its not to say it isn't either but it is more likely that it isn't MPEG4 capable.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Zaphod wrote: »

Will this TV also pick-up DTT (Both Ireland and the UK) or is it just Freesat? It doens't seem to be clear from the specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The Panasonic......

Yes they have a dvb-t tuner as well as a freesat tuner. And most importantly an MPEG4 chip.

They are STG £650 from Richer Sounds in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

STB wrote: »
    The Panasonic......

Yes they have a dvb-t tuner as well as a freesat tuner. And most importantly an MPEG4 chip.

Thank you!!!... Certainly looks like one of the best TV's on the marker.

Does anybody know how this TV(...or any other DVB-T MPEG4 TV) handles receiving both UK Freeview and Irish DTT transmissions (If you live in a border County)? Do both the UK and Irish channels appear in the same EPG? Can you specify the order to have the Irish channels at the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Hi guys, new to this I was wondering has anyone got an LG 42LF75 LCD TV ? I have mine set up and it receives radio on digital, however while it picks up the four Irish TV channels I have no picture or sound. EPG is available plus now and next. On the RTE channels it keeps saying loading text, while on the other two it just says HD service. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Mafc,

That LCD will not pick up Irish DTT as it is a freeview product who's digital tuner (mpeg2) is only suited to the British market. As such it shouldnt be sold as something that receives digital in Ireland(Mpeg4). Nothing will fix it for you. If you wish to receive free to air digital now or i the future you will have to buy more hardware (ie a set top box). More money I know. If thats important then you should bring it back.

Panasonic Range

On the Panasonic range here is a list of the LCD models that have both a DVB-T tuner that will work with Irish DTT and a Freesat Tuner (HD Tuners). Prices may be cheaper elsewhere. There is also a plasma range that have the same technology caled the PZ81 which have been discussed many times on this site and probably earlier in this thread..

TX-32LZD81-1.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=32" Panasonic TX-32LZD81 LCD Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    £645.95

TH37PZ81.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=37" Panasonic TX-37LZD81 LCD Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    (£645 from Richer Sounds) £766.95

TH-42PZ81.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=42" Panasonic TH-42PZ81B Plasma Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    £988.95

TH-46PZ81.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=46" Panasonic TH-46PZ81B Plasma Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    £1,291.95

TH-50PZ81.jpg&w=150&h=75&page=50" Panasonic TH-50PZ81B Plasma Freesat TV Full 1080p HD
    £1,342.95

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you sure of the prices stb, got quoted 729 for 32" and 849 for 37" in December off richersounds, went for 32" and great tv

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    you sure of the prices stb, got quoted 729 for 32" and 849 for 37" in December off richersounds, went for 32" and great tv

Yes. It was £645 for the 37" last friday. You have to order them from Belfast. Takes about a week. The 37" is the only one I have checked out and thats on special with Richer Sounds and was indicated eralier in this thread by Zaphod. They are now back up to £679 for the 37". http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-TX37LZD81

The rest of the prices are from flattelly.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

damn it anyways!!! Ah well, good price at the time all the same!

After buying a Philips 37-PFL-5603D and found out it could not get DTT here in Ireland (the south part), I returned it and got my money back. SO now I am in a position to be a bit more wiser about what to buy however, I need a bit of help...

It appears the Panasonic TX-37LZD81 is short on stock and its the one I 'think' I should be buying. When stock becomes available I hope to be in a good position in terms of knowing what I really want so here it goes.

I have cable TV at the moment...in the short future I will have a satellite dish for freesat...I also have the opportunity to erect a terrestrial aerial on my roof or use a loft aerial to get DTT where I live. If I want to get all my channels tuned-in on the one TV which capabilities should I be looking for? If I buy the panasonic as noted above will that give me both satellite and terrestrial MPEG4 all on the one TV without a STB?

****edited

Cable note taken out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Plugging your cable supply directly into the TV will not give you the Digital Channels from Cable. To view those, you need the STB from your cable supplier (yes I know about "The Box", but it is not legit.)

mj

thanks for the quick response mjsmyth...

I won't be doing that anyway....Anyone else, please don't discuss 'the box' here on this thread, I want good information for buying a new TV...I'm not interested in any other comments.

The model of the TV you wanted ended in H , not D. (and has an MPEG4 dvb-t tuner). Let me guess you bought it in Dixons or Currys or some other "retailer" who couldnt be bothered stocking suitable products for the Irish market.

Yes the Panisonic does all that. Infact it is discussed in this thread. Mod please merge.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420793&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Cheers STB , at least I know where I'm at now.
    I will just have to buy the box when it becomes available.
    Very happy with TV so I'm holding on to it. Thanks again.

STB wrote: »
    The Panasonic......

I rang Richer Sounds in Belfast...they are out of stock of the Panasonic TX-37LZD81 and probably won't get anything in till the end of the month. I also rang Currys (based in Newry) and they tell me there is no stock in NI of this product (Currys price £799).

Anyone know where I can now get one of these at the best price?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

astrofluff wrote: »
    After buying a Philips 37-PFL-5603D and found out it could not get DTT here in Ireland (the south part), I returned it and got my money back. SO now I am in a position to be a bit more wiser about what to buy however, I need a bit of help...

It appears the Panasonic TX-37LZD81 is short on stock and its the one I 'think' I should be buying. When stock becomes available I hope to be in a good position in terms of knowing what I really want so here it goes.

I have cable TV at the moment...in the short future I will have a satellite dish for freesat...I also have the opportunity to erect a terrestrial aerial on my roof or use a loft aerial to get DTT where I live. If I want to get all my channels tuned-in on the one TV which capabilities should I be looking for? If I buy the panasonic as noted above will that give me both satellite and terrestrial MPEG4 all on the one TV without a STB?

****edited

Cable note taken out

I would wait until March when retailers here in Ireland are expected to stock a larger selection of MPEG4 sets as the situation cools down in France where 90% of all tv sets in the major stores, Darty, Carrefour, Galeries La Fayette etc are HDtv 1080 (with that description displayed clearly by law... since 1 December) otherwise being MPEG4 tv sets and suitable for the future Irish DTT service........
    Anyone buying a tv set (described as Mpeg2 -HD ready, full HD, Freeview etc.) at present should shop around for a deal......

• Advertisement

Thanks a bientot...I'm certainly shopping around. I need a new TV anyway as at the moment I have a little 17" widescreen and BTW looks ridiculously funny sitting in a position where I had the 37", so I'm going to make this purchase a very wise one. I don't think I can wait till later on this year either.

Actually, I've got another question and maybe Watty can enlighten us...

If I only have terrestrial analogue and won't be getting DTT till 2012 (officially), and have no cable and no dish, and still need to buy a TV, then would I snooker myself by buying a TV from the UK? I know there are band differences between TVs for UK and Ireland.

For example, Panasonic do a LZD85 (uk) and LZ85L (Irish). The differences I can see from the specs is that the UK can take UHF E21-68, and the Irish UHF E21-68 / VHF.

That fact that the UK spec doesn't have VHF listed and also that the model number is purposely different, then does this mean that if I were to by the UK spec that I couldn't recieve analogue?

Advertisement