Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to kick out the Israeli Ambassador?

Options
  • 11-01-2009 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Heard somebody on the radio today (not sure who) calling for the Government to kick out the Israeli Ambassador due to the ongoing situation in Gaza. I had been going through the usual phase of feeling helpless about World affairs since the latest violence errupted and this idea had not even crossed my mind. Why not kick him out? It is the only way a small nation such as Ireland can make its feelings known since protesting through the UN is a joke.

Before anybody gets on about me being anti-semitic, or anti-Israeli, don't bother I am neither. I am pro-Israeli if anything as they are a friend of the West in an unstable region and deserve to have their own state - as do the Palestinians. It is the appalling disproportionate scale of their recent operations against Gaza that I disagree with and the blank cheque given to them by the USA in the matter. I am also pro-American but the unacceptable way these two nations behave in matters relating to Gaza and the Palestinians beggars belief!

Of course the Israeli Ambassador should be called in and told to back his bags without further delay but do you think any of our gutless politicians will do it? It would the first decent thing Biffo has done since taking over from Bertie. What does anybody else think? :mad:

Do you think the Israeli Ambassador should be kicked out? 86 votes

Kick him out now.
    0% 0 votes
    Do nothing but whistle past the graveyard.
    100% 86 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Heard somebody on the radio today (not sure who) calling for the Government to kick out the Israeli Ambassador due to the ongoing situation in Gaza. I had been going through the usual phase of feeling helpless about World affairs since the latest violence errupted and this idea had not even crossed my mind. Why not kick him out? It is the only way a small nation such as Ireland can make its feelings known since protesting through the UN is a joke.

Before anybody gets on about me being anti-semitic, or anti-Israeli, don't bother I am neither. I am pro-Israeli if anything as they are a friend of the West in an unstable region and deserve to have their own state - as do the Palestinians. It is the appalling disproportionate scale of their recent operations against Gaza that I disagree with and the blank cheque given to them by the USA in the matter. I am also pro-American but the unacceptable way these two nations behave in matters relating to Gaza and the Palestinians beggars belief!

Of course the Israeli Ambassador should be called in and told to back his bags without further delay but do you think any of our gutless politicians will do it? It would the first decent thing Biffo has done since taking over from Bertie. What does anybody else think? :mad:

If only things were that simple, and I dont mean that in reference to evicting an ambassador

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

So much for being neutral

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If we kick him out what of our so-called neutrality?

edit: Bet to it. I bet these are the same people that complained about Americans refueling in Shannon being against our Neutrality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

We should kick out any Palestinian delegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If we kick him out what of our so-called neutrality?

edit: Bet to it. I bet these are the same people that complained about Americans refueling in Shannon being against our Neutrality.

Circumstances always fit the argument for the Irish left

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

"Kick out the Israeli Ambassador?"
    Aye, thats going to happen. :rolleyes:
    *sigh*

Just more soundbites for the populace watching before they turn back to something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Why bother kicking out an ambassador, they're doing no harm. If they were killing arabs personally then go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We didnt kick out the German ambassador during the "Troubles" in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You know anything is possible when you see a Jewish nation committing war crimes and making people live in what looks uncannily like a concentration camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Venezuela kicked the Israeli Ambassador out but it won't happen here and it shouldn't! Would you call for the U.S Ambassador to be kicked out also?

We should kick out the minister for nettles, teabags and earwigs too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Berty wrote: »

Indeed and Dev sent his condolences to the Germans and Japanese.

Pissed off Churchill, so must have been good! :eek:

People don't know what Neutrality means. Check out Switzerland and Conscription.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Kick him out! I bags his gaff:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭trentf

Ahh i think your mixing up your history there. The troubles referred to the the period in northern ireland 1970's, 80's and early 90's i think you mean
    'the emergency' lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emergency_(Ireland)

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You know anything is possible when you see a Jewish nation committing war crimes and making people live in what looks uncannily like a concentration camp.

I agree in a way, still, it seems the obliteration of the Israeli state is the only thing that will keep Hamas happy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

What would be accomplished if Ireland told the Israeli Ambassador to go?

I don't know too much about politics as such, but us as a small country throwing out the Ambassador will not solve the overall problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Kicking out the Ambassador might (Ho, ho, ho..) embarrass other EU countries into doing the same. It is better than doing absolutely nothing. Can't see what it has to do with Neutrality! The trouble with Ireland is it's a great country for talk but when push comes to shove the State buries its head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

trentf wrote: »
    Ahh i think your mixing up your history there. The troubles referred to the the period in northern ireland 1970's, 80's and early 90's i think you mean
    'the emergency' lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emergency_(Ireland)

No I meant the "troubles" by using the word trouble. It was a lot of trouble so was the north and so is the constipation I currently have.

History is made by the winners not by me mixing things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its very politcal thing to do means nothing to ordinary people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Kicking out the Ambassador might (Ho, ho, ho..) embarrass other EU countries into doing the same. It is better than doing absolutely nothing. Can't see what it has to do with Neutrality! The trouble with Ireland is it's a great country for talk but when push comes to shove the State buries its head in the sand.

You can't see what it has to do with neutrality?

Do you understand what neutrality is?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that all of the TDs, senators, county councillors, town councilllors and all of their chums, should be kicked out instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

And I thought Israeli peppers were controversial :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We only offered our condolences at the death of their leader. :D

Really? Like seriously? Wow. :eek:
    So you don't think we would appear to be taking side in a conflict?

Sometimes I really worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

As you say, Israel has a right to exist as does Gaza. Gaza does not however have the right to shoot rockets at israeli citizens and harbour terrorists, raise suicide bombers, etc. This latest conflict was provoked by Hamas to get a violent response, endanger it's own people and use outrage around the world to advance its own looney agenda. 9/11, 7/7, Bali and other outragous acts of Islaamic fanaticism have wakened a lot of people worldwide to the reality that Israels' enemy is also our enemy and will come our way soon enough. All violence is deplorable as is all war. However you can not have peace just by wishing for it. Israel must be allowed and supported to finish this mission asap. That means that we keep in touch with them at very least. This thread will go downhill very quick. Any bets for the first Northern Ireland comparison, reference to the Haulocaust, Jewish Nazis, et ? Let the games begin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

sillymoo wrote: »
    And I thought Israeli peppers were controversial :rolleyes:

They're just a hot topic! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wut? Op, cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Gazza22 wrote: »
    Venezuela kicked the Israeli Ambassador out but it won't happen here and it shouldn't! Would you call for the U.S Ambassador to be kicked out also?

We should kick out the minister for nettles, teabags and earwigs too...

Ireland has too much to lose in picking a fight with the USA - Multi-Nationals, Tourism etc. but that is not to say that the US Ambassador should be called in and told that their unequivocal support for the Israeli action is not acceptable. Almost the entire World save the USA has condemned the attacks on Gaza.

As you say, Israel has a right to exist as does Gaza. Gaza does not however have the right to shoot rockets at israeli citizens and harbour terrorists, raise suicide bombers, etc. This latest conflict was provoked by Hamas to get a violent response, endanger it's own people and use outrage around the world to advance its own looney agenda. 9/11, 7/7, Bali and other outragous acts of Islaamic fanaticism have wakened a lot of people worldwide to the reality that Israels' enemy is also our enemy and will come our way soon enough. All violence is deplorable as is all war. However you can not have peace just by wishing for it. Israel must be allowed and supported to finish this mission asap. That means that we keep in touch with them at very least. This thread will go downhill very quick. Any bets for the first Northern Ireland comparison, reference to the Haulocaust, Jewish Nazis, et ? Let the games begin.

We already got that one with the concentration camps they've seemingly set-up in gaza which I missed on the news.

We only commended them at the death of their leader. :D

And the Emperor too, very equal opportunities he was!

He was a stickler for diplomacy!

You should check out his response to Churchills Victory speech and his snide attack on Ireland.

Even Churchill admitted it was "Devs' finest hour".

You'll never see a better defence of Neutrality!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Seanies32 wrote: »
    I agree in a way, still, it seems the obliteration of the Israeli state is the only thing that will keep Hamas happy.
    that is their stated aim and they recieved popular support in Gazas' election.

Advertisement