Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

My hrm just stopped working yesterday. Changed battery and still nothing.

Have it only 18 months. Is it worthwhile getting onto garmin about or am I wasting my time?

Or anyone got a few tips to try and get it back working?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

aomh wrote: »
    Reading some reviews, the touchscreen seems to be a dealbreaker for runners. Think I'll pull the trigger on this

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/garmin-forerunner-245m-gps-wrist-based-heart-rate-sport-watch-black-010-02120-b0-support-eu-languages-1.html

Has anybody ordered from this website before, it's the cheapest by a good bit.

That one is getting great reviews online
    Very good price there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm just wondering if anyone can help with setting up the way a workout is displayed in Garmin connect or advise if it can be changed. I have attached two images one taken from a session using a FR220 and the other a FR645. Both workouts were set up in an identical manner. The old 220 nicely breaks up the session into warm-up, run, recovery based on the time or distance which was originally input. My new 645 shows it mile by mile thereby breaking up the warm-up and each ten minute rep. Is there a way to make it display like the 220?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anyone can help with setting up the way a workout is displayed in Garmin connect or advise if it can be changed. I have attached two images one taken from a session using a FR220 and the other a FR645. Both workouts were set up in an identical manner. The old 220 nicely breaks up the session into warm-up, run, recovery based on the time or distance which was originally input. My new 645 shows it mile by mile thereby breaking up the warm-up and each ten minute rep. Is there a way to make it display like the 220?

Click the start button (top right) then click and hold the up button (middle left) and select settings (for that activity). Scroll down three items to Auto Lap and turn it off.

Click the start button (top right) then click and hold the up button (middle left) and select settings (for that activity). Scroll down three items to Auto Lap and turn it off.

Brilliant! Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Is there any new watches in pipeline does anyone know? Looking at 600 series upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

655 & possibly 745 were rumoured but I suspect the factory shutdowns in China will delay things due to component shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Anyone have issues with the synching of podcasts on 645 and the order in which they appear prior to adding?

With the exception of Scullions podcast, when I go to add podcasts as I see the newer ones on the watch first and simply download. With Scullions it shows the oldest first and I have to scroll though over a year of podcasts v slowly to get to the recent ones to add.

I suspect its something simple and Im being a numpty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭ooter

bought a forerunner 235 last week, not interested in using it as a smart watch or an activity/steps tracker, just wondering if there are any apps Worthing sticking on it for recording running data?

ooter wrote: »
    bought a forerunner 235 last week, not interested in using it as a smart watch or an activity/steps tracker, just wondering if there are any apps Worthing sticking on it for recording running data?

Dozens Run data field gives a lot of information on one screen. I use it almost every run.

• Advertisement

Used Garmin Pay on my 645 to pay for my groceries today, feel like I'm living in the future (except this current pandemic situation never figured in it :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

opus wrote: »
    Used Garmin Pay on my 645 to pay for my groceries today, feel like I'm living in the future (except this current pandemic situation never figured in it :( )

I presume you are with KBC as the other banks don't seem to support yet.
    I use my phone all the time with google pay. It would be handy to have it on the watch.

I use my phone all the time with google pay. It would be handy to have it on the watch.

I heard that you can connect a Revolut card to Garmin Pay. I really should check it out ;-/

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I heard that you can connect a Revolut card to Garmin Pay. I really should check it out ;-/

I've linked Boon (wirecard) to mine. I've set Boon to top up from my debit card once the balance falls below €50 and it works perfectly (it tops up within seconds).
    I did try Revolut, but couldn't find any option to enable auto top up. I think you need to use them for a while before they give you the option, Boon just worked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Revolut works fine for me anyway.

Revolut card is what worked, my other credit card is with Avantcard so I asked them but seems they've no plans to support Garmin pay. Will investigate auto-top up.

You can also now link a TransferWise borderless card.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

Having problems with a Garmin 910xt, has started turning itself off and on when in use, have done a hard reset and synced it on Garmin connect.
    Anyone any advice?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

The Garmin 645M seems to be available in a few places for around the ~280 mark.

How does it hold up as a device in 2020? Considering picking it up as my first running watch as I like the music and garmin pay options. Is it too expensive for an aging device or is it still a strong running watch? Should I just hold off and go with a 245M instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

Jackobyte wrote: »

How does it hold up as a device in 2020? Considering picking it up as my first running watch as I like the music and garmin pay options. Is it too expensive for an aging device or is it still a strong running watch? Should I just hold off and go with a 245M instead?

I don't have it but a few people have recommended checking if your bank offers Garmin pay prior to purchasing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

py wrote: »
    I don't have it but a few people have recommended checking if your bank offers Garmin pay prior to purchasing it.

Kbc only Irish bank using it. You can use boon or revolute cards

It's pretty much dead to Garmin at over two years old now but it's an ok watch (have the non-music version myself). If it was the €230 deal Argos were offering, I'd say definitely go for it at €280 it's more of a maybe & would be worth looking at the 245M as well.

opus wrote: »
    It's pretty much dead to Garmin at over two years old now but it's an ok watch (have the non-music version myself). If it was the €230 deal Argos were offering, I'd say definitely go for it at €280 it's more of a maybe & would be worth looking at the 245M as well.
    How much has it aged out as a 2 year old watch? Do running watches age as much as say an Android watch? I see a lot of people on Strava with 235s, etc.

I see a lot of comparisons with the 245 that says they are pretty similar with the 645 having the altimeter/barometer and lactate threshold and the 245 having PulseOx and body battery measure. As someone who hasn’t used a watch like these before, I’m not sure what to expect of the software differences and what those mean.

I’m primarily going to use it for ~5k distances, and hopefully progressing to longer distances after. The reason I was leaning towards the 645M was getting the music option for 60 less than the equivalent 245M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

How much has it aged out as a 2 year old watch? Do running watches age as much as say an Android watch? I see a lot of people on Strava with 235s, etc.

I see a lot of comparisons with the 245 that says they are pretty similar with the 645 having the altimeter/barometer and lactate threshold and the 245 having PulseOx and body battery measure. As someone who hasn’t used a watch like these before, I’m not sure what to expect of the software differences and what those mean.

I’m primarily going to use it for ~5k distances, and hopefully progressing to longer distances after. The reason I was leaning towards the 645M was getting the music option for 60 less than the equivalent 245M

Tbh I don't think the watches age that much per se. Certainly not to the same extent as a mobile phone.
    What Garmin seem to be doing with their most recent watches is adding certain features in the new iterations that might have previously been in their more expensive watches. Are these features "must haves"? I guess that's subjective. How useful/reliable is PulseOx or body battery? Would you be paying extra for something you don't really need and might never really use? To me they're a little bit gimmicky.

The 645 would be higher up the Garmin food chain than the 235 and the 245 is the newer version of the 235 so which do you prefer - better or newer?
    The 245 has a more economical GPS chip set meaning the 245 will keep recording GPS data for much longer than the 645. However the 645 will record for (I think) 14 hours. Will you ever even come close to running for 14 hours? :D

Personally I'd save the 60 quid and put it towards decent bluetooth headphones but you probably won't go too far wrong with either watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Tbh I don't think the watches age that much per se. Certainly not to the same extent as a mobile phone.
    What Garmin seem to be doing with their most recent watches is adding certain features in the new iterations that might have previously been in their more expensive watches. Are these features "must haves"? I guess that's subjective. How useful/reliable is PulseOx or body battery? Would you be paying extra for something you don't really need and might never really use? To me they're a little bit gimmicky.

The 645 would be higher up the Garmin food chain than the 235 and the 245 is the newer version of the 235 so which do you prefer - better or newer?
    The 245 has a more economical GPS chip set meaning the 245 will keep recording GPS data for much longer than the 645. However the 645 will record for (I think) 14 hours. Will you ever even come close to running for 14 hours? :D

Personally I'd save the 60 quid and put it towards decent bluetooth headphones but you probably won't go too far wrong with either watch.

How about the 735xt for €230??

Decent watch for the price or are there better options out there?

Barometer is fairly flakey tbh plenty of threads on the garmin forums about it, it also has a temp sensor which really only measures the temp of your wrist so totally pointless.

However I don't want to be negative as I quite like the watch, was almost tempted to pick up the music version when Argos had their BF offer. Can't comment on the music version of course as don't have it.

DCR's site lets you compare the 245/645 if that's of any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I went for the 645 rather than 245 purely because of Garmin Pay. For me this feature puts it above the 245, I used it nearly every day before lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Has anyone had an issue putting certain podcasts into their Garmin? The issue I'm having seems to only relate to BBC podcasts,its very strange.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    I went for the 645 rather than 245 purely because of Garmin Pay. For me this feature puts it above the 245, I used it nearly every day before lockdown.
    I had fallen on the side of the 645M because of Garmin Pay as well, but have now seen reviews of the problems with AirPod bluetooth compatibility. Thought I had made a decision but now struggling to find out if it's still a problem with second gen AirPods & newest watch firmware.

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Has anyone had an issue putting certain podcasts into their Garmin? The issue I'm having seems to only relate to BBC podcasts,its very strange.

How are you putting the podcasts on the watch? I find Spotify a lot less problematic than other ways.

Advertisement