Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny Dreadful [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Bambi wrote: »
    From what I remember Timmy Dalton's character rescued her, but I could be mixing that up with a similar story in ripper street. Caliban has been retrofitted into the whole scenario

As in, it wasn't him working in the asylum, but that's who Ms Ives sees in her flashbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As in, it wasn't him working in the asylum, but that's who Ms Ives sees in her flashbacks?

I'm pretty sure Caliban had no part whatsoever in the original asylum storyline, Seems they decided to retrofit him into it this season, using amnesia as the excuse for his absence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Looks like it's game over unfortunately. Last night was a double episode in case anyone is unaware.
    So many shows linger on far beyond their welcome but Penny Dreadful ended the way it began: by vanquishing the antagonist that was in the shadows from the very first episode. The team's being was because of Dracula so I'm very happy the show begun and ended with him and Vanessa's inner struggle coming to a climax.

I think this show will go on to be appreciated more upon 2nd viewing so I look forward to doing that at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure if it was always known, but it looks like last night was the series finale too. There will be no season 4.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/penny-dreadful-ending-season-3-series-finale-creator-interview-john-logan-david-nevins-1201798946/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Mr E wrote: »
    Not sure if it was always known, but it looks like last night was the series finale too. There will be no season 4.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/penny-dreadful-ending-season-3-series-finale-creator-interview-john-logan-david-nevins-1201798946/
    No, I was waiting for a renewal :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Like I guess many had no idea this was the end.

But what a tremendous, tragic and beautiful ending to the show.

A real masterclass of television that ended before it ever got a whiff of a downward trend.

Watching since it first aired and me and the misses were stunned seeing it wrap up.

Easily into my top 5 TV shows ever and that's a tall order. Will constantly recommend it. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hadn't a clue that the series was finishing up.

Ended beautifully. Loved watching Penny Dreadful and will miss most of the characters.

Kind of glad they didn't drag it on longer than they should have

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    So many shows linger on far beyond their welcome but Penny Dreadful ended the way it began: by vanquishing the antagonist that was in the shadows from the very first episode. The team's being was because of Dracula so I'm very happy the show begun and ended with him and Vanessa's inner struggle coming to a climax.
    I thought the production qualities fantastic and the acting top notch which gave it a a great sheen overall, but I personally the writing too variable, from very good to pretty lame. I strongly suspect the ending was decided late enough and had less to do with "creative reasons" and far more to do with ratings and he studio pulling the plug. The end was an all too obvious hasty wrap up IMHO. Pity as I did enjoy the series more than I didn't, but it probably didn't have another series in it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Seemed like this season was all over the place, half arsed wild west story that just randomly ended, half arsed jekyl and hyde story that never went anywhere. Don't they usually have the whole thing filmed before they know the ratings? It screams of a series being pulled halfway through a season for me

It was all about the sets, fx and acting for me, plot was often paper thin.

Aye Vanessa switched and switched back far too quickly.

Ditto Ethan's relationships Hecate and his father, it felt like they're was a lot cut.

There's also the conundrum of why they introduced so many new characters in the final season. John Clare's family, Seward, Dracula to a certain extent, Renfield, Ethan's father, Jekyll and Lily's protege just to name a few.

So while I do believe that the ultimate ending was tbe one envisioned, it did feel like they got the news of cancellation abruptly.

Logan said he only mapped out 3 seasons but I definitely don't think he would have said no to another season or a longer 3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I feel deflated now. The show has been a bit all over the place, but generally it's been enjoyably bonkers if you view it as a highly polished 60's Hammer Horror series.

I've yet to watch the final few episodes, is there at least a satisfying enough conclusion to make doing so worth my while?

conorhal wrote: »
    I feel deflated now. The show has been a bit all over the place, but generally it's been enjoyably bonkers if you view it as a highly polished 60's Hammer Horror series.

I've yet to watch the final few episodes, is there at least a satisfying enough conclusion to make doing so worth my while?

umm...the big dramatic finale has a few shots where I thought the cast was going to break into a boy band ballad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭griffin100

The first two series were excellent, the first perhaps shading it over the second. This series has been relatively poor. Introducing new characters suggest that the writers were planning future series (why else introduce Hyde, the whole subplot involving him brought nothing to the series), but the somewhat abrupt ending and the few jumping the shark moments hints at a surprise cancellation and some hasty rewrites. Pity, as it was a great show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The feeling I'm getting is that the season was cut short; I'd guess they planned for 12/16/20/24 episodes and was told to cut it down to 9 which forced the arcs to be (and feel) rushed.

I thought though that each season was only 10 episodes long anyway? I don't think he planned on having a longer season, just one more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Nody wrote: »
    The feeling I'm getting is that the season was cut short; I'd guess they planned for 12/16/20/24 episodes and was told to cut it down to 9 which forced the arcs to be (and feel) rushed.

They were always shortish seasons, season 1 only 8 episodes and season 2 only 10 so not cut short episode wise. I do feel the last 2 episodes may have been doctored to wrap it up permanently, they did a good job of it if ya ask me but it did seem like it was cut short. Could have at least got another season or two out of it without going off the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://tvline.com/2018/11/01/penny-dreadful-city-of-angels-series-order-showtime-2019/

Showtime has handed a series order to Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, a 1930s-set follow-up described as the “next chapter” in the franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    https://tvline.com/2018/11/01/penny-dreadful-city-of-angels-series-order-showtime-2019/

Showtime has handed a series order to Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, a 1930s-set follow-up described as the “next chapter” in the franchise

Ugh

They're gonna ruin it aren't they, I thought it was an amazing show that ended as well as could be expected at the best time. Before it got stale.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ugh

They're gonna ruin it aren't they, I thought it was an amazing show that ended as well as could be expected at the best time. Before it got stale.

I dont know, its not gonna touch off the original in any way. It will be a whole new cast/characters. So will only share the name really, plus showtime behind it, ill expect at least a strong first season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

This was an amazing show, so great news that it will continue in some form. If John Logan is involved my expectations will remain high. There’s some big witch boots to fill if Eva Green doesn’t return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

• Registered Users Posts: 60,398 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finally got around to watching and finishing this after a number of failed attempts.

All I have to say what a powerhouse of a performance by Eva Green throughout the 3 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Green really carried the show at times. Would have liked one more season so that the conclusion for her arc wasn't rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

conorhal wrote: »
    The show really lost me in episode six.

It's utterly disjointed, wildly inconsistant and filled with bizzare moments when plot points are raised, dropped and picked up again mostly to remind you they are still there, while characters stand around explaining their utterly contradictory motivations which rarely make sense.
    A prime example was malcom last night, he wants Mina to find his daughter, no wait, he's off to africa on safari, no wait he's wracked with guilt over his sons death but really he's not, he's prepared to let Mina die, no wait he isn't, but damn it if John Logan isn't going to write a long monologue, something he clearly loves doing, in which the character blathers utter nonsense to try and reconcile the inconsistancies of the plot.

The show is an utter mess held together largely by Eva Green's mesmerizing performance and Dalton's scenery chewing.
    Bambi wrote: »
    It was all about the sets, fx and acting for me, plot was often paper thin.
    Nody wrote: »

Some special humans are friends or foes of a menagerie of well-known supernatural characters; it's the show that 'The League of Extraordinary Gentleman' had tried to be. Penny Dreadful, though, had far more positives than negatives. Despite its many flaws, I absolutely loved it, apart from the rushed ending.

Luscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Feels so different without the other characters .. and with the sunlight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Slydice wrote: »
    Feels so different without the other characters .. and with the sunlight
    Yeah looks completely different, should it be a new thread then ?

Well that looks like some current year woke bull****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It feels like the only reason is to try to get the name recognition in there because it seriously lack a connection; will probably watch an episode or two to see if the series is worth it on it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Haven’t watched the trailer but John Logan is writer / producer, so I’m holding out some hope it can be at the same standard as Penny Dreadful.

Advertisement