Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny Dreadful [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Really enjoyable finale.

I hated Caliban in season 1 for 2 reasons; the character itself and the OTT (and not in the good Eva Green way) performance of the actor. But they've really turned the character around this season and is possibly now one of the more interesting players for me now.

Speaking of Eva Green's brilliant OTTness, out devil tongue-ing the devil was so weirdly amazing. I was both loving and laughing at the scene.

Criticisms would be how disposable the witches were given the previous chaos they had brought. Plot convenience at its worst.

Dorian still does absolutely nowt for me as well. Lily has potential, and it would interest me to see a Lily/Hectate alliance, but your man is still bereft of any threat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've thought that the dorian fella has been absolutely irrelevant throughout both series but his sudden turn into something very nasty at the end with lily was fairly chilling, I don't think the actor will carry it off next series though

It's all totally daft plot wise but good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Bambi wrote: »

It's all totally daft plot wise but good fun

Agree with this, it really is ridiculous but I somehow still enjoy it. One thing that did annoy me though was Vanessa's conviction in her faith helping defeat the devil, after all he promised her and then to completely abandon her faith after that, just doesn't make any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah! so she now believes in a fallen angel from heaven but not in the big fella himself?

Though there would be more of a battle with the witches but they didn't put up much of a fight after all the lead up to it.

I like how in the last episode the director seemed to go "**** there was another witch in the first episode that we've completely forgotten about"

timmy dalton: bish bosh BANG!

Director: sorted, next scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

season 2 finale pretty enjoyable, some thoughts
    Ethan seems to be a previous lover of Vanessa who is a condemn while Vanessa seems to blame herself for what happens between Ethan & the master as seen from her furious reaction to sex - she will self torture herself physically & emotionally & spiritually through her dark nature - her master once appeared as Malcolm with black eyes in vision to console her ; while Ethan as a wolfman is able to magically recognise her

as seen from season 1 to 2 the master is playing with Vanessa & Ethan ; madam kali plan A to use doll as a conduit failed badly, i suppose Hecate is going to execute plan B as she might make use of Ethan. Ethan might or might not reach American or might be for a short period

Caliban can kill Proteus who is also Victor creation, this prove that his creations can be kill & they should not be immortal. Lily only started to be reactive & cruel after she being with Dorian, the finale evident she just like Dorian ie, cannot be kill also her chest stitches suddenly heal without any scars. It might mean she & Dorian are committed to the same master. Both of them invoke no supernational abilities beside being cannot be kill & self-healing as evident by Dorian poisioned Angelique & Lily used her super strength to kill the man she bedded. Lily & Dorian could be just a puppet to keep Vanessa busy

Malcolm trip to African hopefully can introduce some interesting new characters, or else Malcolm role in the show can be expendable & less interesting

Lyle didn't die in season 2 which means he will continue to connect the viewers to the characters & the story , as he mentioned it was not just Lucifer banished from heaven, his brother and also followers

Caliban might be back to join Vanessa ; Victor might find himself useful again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

As with most immortals, a quick separation of head and shoulders should be enough to keep Lily and even Dorian down.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

Jon Stark wrote: »
    As with most immortals, a quick separation of head and shoulders should be enough to keep Lily and even Dorian down.

Lily bit off part of Dorian ear & it grew back to shape in no time in the finale ; it could imply whatever parts cut off it will grow or attach back magically

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The real question is why witches don't just buy some guns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Victor should get some of those double-tap lessons from Malcolm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 of this show. Great they way it mingled infamous characters from the classic gothic horror genre. Anticipating S3 already with rumour having it that it will be centered around a Jekyll and Hyde character. :)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have just seen season 1 and half way season 2. Very impressive stuff. Doesn´t go over the top with gore.
    Incredible acting from Dalton, Eva and Hartnett.
    Season 2 episode 2 just blew me away, the episode where Eva is on the moors with another witch learning .... things..!

Timothy Dalton, you can see why he was the best James Bond...

• Registered Users Posts: 85,851 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I'm only just watching Season 1 at the moment. I love the show but I have criticisms.

It is far too obvious that Chandler is a werewolf and it is pointless to be keeping it as a surprise to be "revealed" later. I'm hoping that he is a proper werewolf though, as in wolf man, and not just a big dog.

And killing the vampires is too easy - bullets and knives. I'm guessing that the wanted to try something more fast paced liked in The Walking Dead (and there is nothing with putting a new spin on something) but I can't help but think that the fight scenes would be even better if they used the traditional methods of decapitation, wooden stakes and crucifixes. Van Helsing mentioned them as a way of killing vampires and the "master/Dracula" vampire also reacted to the cross in Vannessa room, so these are clearly weapons in the world of Penny Dreadful. Or am I showing a lack of knowledge of vampires here - is there a history on the mythology/fiction of ordinary weapons slaying vampires?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

The first episode of Season 3 has leaked online for anyone who wants to watch it before May 1st, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Really solid opener that did the mandatory recap episode without being tedious.

That ending.....all I can say is that it's about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,851 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Two days later on Sky Atlantic Tuesday the 3rd of May

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

schizo1014 wrote: »
    The first episode of Season 3 has leaked online for anyone who wants to watch it before May 1st, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes. Didn't disappoint. The script was AMAZING. Same goes for most of last season. The episode about The Cut Wife was the finest hour of television I have seen in many a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Really enjoyed the start of the new season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

What actor is playing Dracula ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I love me some Wes Studi. Great to see him join the show. Solid start to the season.

So dracula is
    pete postelwhaites bastard son?
    Mmmkkay

They really do like juggling a lot of balls on this show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Surprised at the lack of chatter in this thread. I'm really enjoying S03.
    Eva Green is a very good actress.

Its all good mad fun, the writers seem to be making it up as they go along

This episode was up there with the cutwife, with Kinnear giving a stunning turn, playing 3 characters when you think about it.

Green has always been amazing to me, and it's always been evident in this show. An actress who can go from serene beauty to deranged hag in the blink of an eye.

Only thing I'm trying to recall is if the show covered how Vanessa managed to escape the asylum? And I would have liked to have seen how Caliban/John Clare actually died.

Interesting dynamic established also between Lucifer and Dracula through Kinnear's performance, with the former giving a desperate and almost fearful vibe as opposed to Dracula's despicably calm and sinister nature.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I haven't got around to watching this season yet but it's great to know that it's good so far!

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    This episode was up there with the cutwife, with Kinnear giving a stunning turn, playing 3 characters when you think about it.

Green has always been amazing to me, and it's always been evident in this show. An actress who can go from serene beauty to deranged hag in the blink of an eye.

Only thing I'm trying to recall is if the show covered how Vanessa managed to escape the asylum? And I would have liked to have seen how Caliban/John Clare actually died.

Interesting dynamic established also between Lucifer and Dracula through Kinnear's performance, with the former giving a desperate and almost fearful vibe as opposed to Dracula's despicably calm and sinister nature.

From what I remember Timmy Dalton's character rescued her, but I could be mixingvthat up with a similar story in ripper street. Caliban has been retrofitted into the whole scenario

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    From what I remember Timmy Dalton's character rescued her, but I could be mixingvthat up with a similar story in ripper street. Caliban has been retrofitted into the whole scenario

Ah ok, I think they went through with the lobotomy and all though. Woman has serious skills to get through that. :pac:

Advertisement