Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penny Dreadful [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I forgot to say that I was confused by the very disturbing scene in the asylum where the doctor drills a hole in Vanessa's skull. Was that some kind of lobotomy? If so, how Vanessa retain her faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I forgot to say that I was confused by the very disturbing scene in the asylum where the doctor drills a hole in Vanessa's skull. Was that some kind of lobotomy? If so, how Vanessa retain her faculties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning

... I think. Possibly released some sort of clairvoyant/vision thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Please use spoilers in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

Reeve Carney Talks PENNY DREADFUL, Why He Was Attracted to the Project, Dorian Gray’s Depth of Humanity, Season 2, and More
    What can you say about the remaining three episodes?

CARNEY: In the next episode, you’ll see a different type of development in Dorian and Vanessa’s relationship. I’m excited for that. After that scene in Episode 2, you wonder about where that’s headed, so that gets explored further in Episode 6. Dorian is always looking for a new experience, and he’s drawn to them, no matter how dark they might appear to other people.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Please use spoilers in future.

With all due respect the thread title says spoilers.

• Advertisement

With all due respect the thread title says spoilers.

Oops, indeed it does. For some reason I understood that as no spoilers.:o

No problem, tbh I could have spoiler tag it, laziness on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This show is really pulling me in.

As somewhat assumed there was the
    Vampire reveal. And also the reference to Dracula

Have to say major what the **** in terms of
    Van Helsing. Kinda annoyed...thought it would be a great reference character throughout

I also fully endorse Eva Greens baps....fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TheDoc wrote: »
    This show is really pulling me in.

As somewhat assumed there was the
    Vampire reveal. And also the reference to Dracula

Have to say major what the **** in terms of
    Van Helsing. Kinda annoyed...thought it would be a great reference character throughout

I also fully endorse Eva Greens baps....fully.

i kinda liked the van helsing/ roger waters lookalike twist. set him up as an exposition source then ..booom. Reeked of game of thrones though

Another great episode but there's too many aspects that are failing to pull me in. Caliban (is it just me or is this guy's hammy acting distracting in itself?), Dorian and Bronagh are characters not doing it for me, and what's worse is that they're bringing down the better characters when they're on screen with them (Caliban and Victor, Bronagh and Ethan, Dorian and Ethan, Dorian and Vanessa).

The series is easily at its best when it's focusing on its central plot. That was evident throughout the previous episode (strongest to date by far) and evident again this week. The sequence in the abandoned ship was brilliant, creepy and visually stunning.

Once the show is focused on its hunt for Mina and The Master (and the motivations of the effected characters) it excels, so hopefully the last two episodes focus on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

I'm just watching 6 at the moment. Frankenstein quotes Percy Shelley if I'm not mistaken - husband of Mary Shelley.

I've watched this so far so I must like something about it, I think the slightly trashy feel is definitely on the right side of entertaining. Timothy Dalton being in it is what made me give it a go.

Billie Piper though, she's awful..definite bride of Frankenstein hair, hopefully she'll lose the power to speak.

A link is one thing, but I don't that stuff should be posted in here. It's difficult not to read it as you skim. I would think the majority of people don't want upcoming episodes being posted in here, I know I won't be coming back if this is going to be the carry on.

After watching up to episode 5, two things have struck me:

- Eva Green is a very good actor.

- Eva Green is gorgeous (when not foaming at the mouth).

Just watched 7. I'm going to say it was weak. I thought it dragged, the whole crawling the ceiling thing is a bit tired although I'm sure Eva Green had a lot of fun doing it. There weren't any other plot threads aside from the possession and exorcism which left it a bit flat.

The background info on various characters was a bit of a rehash. We've heard it all already, except for the gunslingers and he said nothing about himself really.

Given the Latin he was belting out at the end maybe he's a lapsed priest or something. Or he just happens to know how to preform an exorcism.
    For the second last episode I don't think there was much momentum unlike the last couple.

There was a "next time on.." bit at the end there and I noticed a shot of someones hand getting bigger, the effect of some concoction maybe? Maybe I saw incorrectly, but why not get the whole League together..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Just watched 7. I'm going to say it was weak. I thought it dragged, the whole crawling the ceiling thing is a bit tired although I'm sure Eva Green had a lot of fun doing it. There weren't any other plot threads aside from the possession and exorcism which left it a bit flat.
    Really? I thought the other way around that it really grew the cast esp. the internal struggle between the people while really showing how what Eva could do as an actor.

Nody wrote: »
    Really? I thought the other way around that it really grew the cast esp. the internal struggle between the people while really showing how what Eva could do as an actor.

It was all padding for me I'm afraid. If you've seen one exorcist film you've seen them all, and the exposition was mostly covered already.

Hopefully the last episode moves the plot forward. This one was basically a bottle episode.

I've given up trying to make sense of it all, just sit back and see if each episode holds any decent moments

Hard to make heads or tail of the ending in an episode that otherwise succeeded in adding more depth.

I mean I'm not sure why Ethan didn't do that in the first place and save Vanessa and the rest of them a lot of strife. The only thing I can think of is that
    performing the exorcism
    will have some consequences for him and that's why he hesitated for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Bambi wrote: »
    I've given up trying to make sense of it all, just sit back and see if each episode holds any decent moments

The show really lost me in episode six.

It's utterly disjointed, wildly inconsistant and filled with bizzare moments when plot points are raised, dropped and picked up again mostly to remind you they are still there, while characters stand around explaining their utterly contradictory motivations which rarely make sense.
    A prime example was malcom last night, he wants Mina to find his daughter, no wait, he's off to africa on safari, no wait he's wracked with guilt over his sons death but really he's not, he's prepared to let Mina die, no wait he isn't, but damn it if John Logan isn't going to write a long monologue, something he clearly loves doing, in which the character blathers utter nonsense to try and reconcile the inconsistancies of the plot.

The show is an utter mess held together largely by Eva Green's mesmerizing performance and Dalton's scenery chewing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I mean I'm not sure why Ethan didn't do that in the first place and save Vanessa and the rest of them a lot of strife. The only thing I can think of is that
    performing the exorcism
    will have some consequences for him and that's why he hesitated for so long.
    Pure speculation but
    with the whole spiel about sending of native children to the east to get naturalised could he his father / him a responsibility in that as one of the priests collecting/educating the children (the father angle due to the comment about disappointing his father and not needing another; picking up the exorcism because his father was a priest and he did not want to follow in his footsteps)? This in turn lead him to the disbelief in the whole system and humanity in general and he became the show man gunslinger instead to give a middle finger to his father while working on trying re-unite the native sons with their families (i.e. travelling all over North America with the show allowing him to help them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The finale felt a little underwhelming I have to say. Wraps things up but all felt a little rushed.

Obviously we get the big reveal that was somewhat obvious...but at the same time thought it was good as last weeks episode through a lot of doubt over what seemed a forgone conclusion.

Overall a really good show that's made a good start with more material to explore in the next season.

Look forward to it coming back.

Very meh ending. I've watched enough I think. Good luck to them anyway.

The American knows he's going to wolf out and decides to sit in a crowded bar, a man of apparent moral fibre. That's one nitpick, buy really it's all over the place. It doesn't know what it's doing imo. The writing is repetitive, the plot is slow, the characters contradict themselves too often, no coherence.

I'm just enjoying that is was written as part of some sort of double blind test for script writers

My problem would also be its tendency to be all over the place. Just two brief examples of this in the finale:

Firstly, Sir Malcolm's quite cutting honesty and venom towards how he views Vanessa quickly disapparated in the end, with the two becoming surrogate father and daughter again, without any real instigator behind it. It was kind of like jumping from point A to Z in the space of 20 minutes or so.

Secondly, in Vanessa's "centric" episode, she says at the end that she loves Mina enough to kill her, suggesting she knows all too well that she's lost. Yet when she comes out of the darkness, Vaness greets her with open arms without a hint of caution.

Can anybody explain the point of Dorian Gray in this show? I suspect that even John Logan would (and did) struggle to find a reason for his inclusion.

My problem would also be its tendency to be all over the place. Just two brief examples of this in the finale:

Firstly, Sir Malcolm's quite cutting honesty and venom towards how he views Vanessa quickly disapparated in the end, with the two becoming surrogate father and daughter again, without any real instigator behind it. It was kind of like jumping from point A to Z in the space of 20 minutes or so.

Secondly, in Vanessa's "centric" episode, she says at the end that she loves Mina enough to kill her, suggesting she knows all too well that she's lost. Yet when she comes out of the darkness, Vaness greets her with open arms without a hint of caution.

Not to mention the fact that not five minutes earlier Malcom was sneering and telling Vanessa that he'd happily see her dead to get his daughter back.
    There was just not organic plot development at all, the entire script was essentally 'stuff randomly happens', sombody gives a fine speach!

There was just about enough in the finale to make me come back for a second outing, but with far less enthusiasim then I had for the servers after the first few episodes.

Just a question on the penultimate episode. When Ethan was sat next to Vanessa in the bed, he became possessed. Was this the devil jumping from Vanessa into Ethan or what? At first I thought Ethan was the demon all along but then he exorcises Vanessa which threw that theory out the window. Did Ethan not even realise he was possessed afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

The demon was playing a trick on Vanessa. Ethan was not really there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Arcturus IV

Have to say that I enjoyed it, but it needs more work done in order to really gain more audience appeal. I hope it does, as there has been some fantastic performances in it, but it won't be enough unless the show runners raise their game.

Advertisement