Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Loughc wrote: »
    Yea I'm a chocolate fiend... I'd eat it all day every day if I could. I've a serious sweet tooth.

Here's your sister, Loughc! I love chocolate, it's my best friend and my downfall :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Plus one for the baked goods too...

Now we're talking. I'm a demon for cakes, especially fruit cakes & scones etc. I'll eat baked goods till i burst... and again at the rate I pile on weight thats not a good thing!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

+ another 1 for the baked goods. First of this year's apple tarts was made the other night - great crop again this year!!

but I also love my chocolate - but I'm a bit like Toto there - Cadbury's wouldn't bother me. I used to love Roses, but they've ruined them. Quality Street still ok or Thorntons or Hotel Chocolat or we have a lovely local chocolate factory too.....if you ever see Wildes Irish Chocolate, I'd highly recommend it!!

**Mind you, I need to lose a stone before I can even think about Christmas :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Add me to the baked goods list!! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Is there anything better than fresh biscuits or scones that are still warm from the oven!

I'm going to plan some serious baking in the run up to Christmas, this is our first year in our new house so it is the first time since I moved out of home I've had a nice kitchen to bake in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Enjoyed reading through many pages all week! Can't believe how long it has been since I posted on here! Was quite occupied with our wee boy last year so I didn't really get into Christmas organising mode until closer to time. And it looks like it gonna happen again this year as we may be moving into our forever home in December. So I'm trying to sort through stuff here and kinda in Christmas mode because I'm trying to cut down on Christmas stuff to bring with us ;)
    I have two questions... What do yas do with your old Christmas cards? I kept all of them and put them up every year as decoration but half thinking maybe it is time to get rid of them :(
    Also someone mentioned here before that they got a stocking made out of their baby's Christmas outfits, who did it? I went overboard buying loads of Christmas outfits for our wee man last year for this reason and also to make a handprint on our tree skirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

Tomorrow is the 1st of September. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DenMan wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the 1st of September. :D

That’s equal measures exciting and scary at same time haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

@ xDisneyDivax

191340002.jpg?v=1487785450

I bought a pair of crimping scissors some years back and make my own parcel tags by cutting up old Christmas cards. Obviously some cards lend themselves better to this than others but it's a great way of reusing the old cards - the written parts go into the cardboard recycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Anyone bought Christmas stuff off AliExpress? I’m looking at bits and pieces and wondering if it’s worth buying as opposed to waiting til Penney’s/Homestore/etc have their stuff in and paying more for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

051fe5d50ae12562010b2954c3600116982e0e-v5.jpg?v=3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

September the 1st, as far as I'm concerned the real Christmas countdown starts today.
    I am as a big a fan of Christmas as they come but mentioning Christmas in August (publicly not here :) ) just feels a little early for me, but its open season now!
    Also I have to put up the poster announcing the date and location of the staff Christmas party this year later in the week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Anyone bought Christmas stuff off AliExpress? I’m looking at bits and pieces and wondering if it’s worth buying as opposed to waiting til Penney’s/Homestore/etc have their stuff in and paying more for it :)

Aliexpress is alright for what you pay for but be willing to wait like 8 weeks for delivery.

Welcome to the BER months everyone :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

P98dMWy.jpg?1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Happy September everyone! First morning of school here, for S and for me! I'm retraining as an SNA so will be doing work experience all year. Despite being super excited about it, as the last few days of the summer holidays ended I've felt like I'm going to prison rather than going to work in what is genuinely a very lovely school. Yesterday was the local "Harvest Fair" for the local hospice which is really a massive second hand sale. I always come a way with so much stuff and try and get lots of Santa surprises. I ended up not just getting a big box of books and brand new toys for S but I also got loads and loads of Christmas decorations. (Because there may have been a square inch or two of my house that wasn't completely decorated last year.) Among them was a singing dog who sings Britney Spears' My Only Wish (This Year) which I think has to be the most Christmas FM-y song there is. So now I'm up drinking coffee in the kitchen, singing to Santa about just wanting one thing, really looking forward to Autumn and Halloween and Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Good luck in school, Iguana!

Not sure if anyone listens to BBC Radio 1, but they do an ‘unpopular opinion’ feature on the breakfast show. Sometimes they get celebrities to do it. This morning, Taylor Swift’s unpopular opinion was that Just Friends is the best Christmas film. I don’t think I’ve seen it! Is it any good?

She must have Christmas on the mind right now, because her new song starts with ‘we can leave the Christmas lights up until January’ but she says it as if it’s an unusual thing. :confused:

Good luck in school, Iguana!

Not sure if anyone listens to BBC Radio 1, but they do an ‘unpopular opinion’ feature on the breakfast show. Sometimes they get celebrities to do it. This morning, Taylor Swift’s unpopular opinion was that Just Friends is the best Christmas film. I don’t think I’ve seen it! Is it any good?

She must have Christmas on the mind right now, because her new song starts with ‘we can leave the Christmas lights up until January’ but she says it as if it’s an unusual thing. :confused:

I've seen it, it's a Ryan Reynolds film before the peak of his fame, it's funny but it's just set around Christmas time as opposed to being a Christmas movie if you know what I mean.

So who's up for some Monday stats?

Ooooh I love me some stats.

We finished up August with 26 posts more than August 2018. We are now 421 posts ahead of where we were this time last year.

In 2018 Post count increased each month from May to November, with a significant jump from Aug-Sept 400 posts difference and Oct-Nov 1,050 posts difference. :eek:

Going off that trend we should see a serious increase in posts this month all going well :)

• Advertisement

Love some good stats! What year was the busiest for the forum so far?

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Love some good stats! What year was the busiest for the forum so far?

2018 was the busiest year ever for the Christmas Forum with 8,647 posts, 2015 was 2nd Busiest with 7,216 posts.

So 2018 was the busiest by a good bit. And was purely down to the fantastic community ye guys have fostered and created here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Love the stats too.

What's an SNA (aimed at Iguana)?

Still waiting for that dream flight sale at Christmas that I know deep down won't happen. BA did it one year but that was yonks ago

OOh, love the crimbo forum stats. Looking forward to seeing an increase in footfall in here in the coming weeks, would be great to see a participation level similar to last year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Did someone say that they have booked Causey Farm for Christmas? I'm debating it but it seems quite expensive - 80 quid for a family of four!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Got this in the post this morning....Arnotts Warehouse Sale...spot the Christmas item :)

Ps. Newest Elf arrived safely last Tuesday. A little boy :)

jellybear wrote: »

Congratulations!!! Hope all are well!

jellybear wrote: »
    Got this in the post this morning....Arnotts Warehouse Sale...spot the Christmas item :)

CONGRATS!!! That's great news! Santa has another stop to make this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Congratulations Jellybear! Wonderful news :)

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Did someone say that they have booked Causey Farm for Christmas? I'm debating it but it seems quite expensive - 80 quid for a family of four!

I booked it on opening day. We went last year (family of 4) and loved it, so when we asked the kids where to go this year they jumped on going again. It does seem a tad pricey but all these kind of things are a little on the pricy side, IIRC the gifts the kids received were of a decent quality too though.
    Personally I thought it worth it as its an infrequent event & the 'santa' years are coming to an end soon for us so are trying to make the most of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement