Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Lovely Longines. Nothing better than a watch with a bit of history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Wibbs wrote: »
    To find another would be hard enough and would cost a fair few quid to do so. Particularly with it being so original.

Date wise there will be a serial number, usually on the inside of the case back and movement. That'll give you the year. The case may be later. I say that because the tag on the bottom left says Longines Wittnauer. Though they had a few connections before, Longines bought the Wittnauer company in 1950, so the tag anyway is likely post that.

I guess we will find out when I get it serviced, just had a look on the box and the only thing I can find is it say "Box made in Sweden" in tiny letters on the bottom (see attachment).

Any recommendations on a good person to service/clean it, I am in Kerry ?

I am pleased someone else likes my watch...

SB

20190120_013039.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Made in Sweden eh? Now that's something I wouldn't have expected. I would have thought they'd have gone to a Swiss company. Very cool. I notice the text is written in America English. "Honored" instead of "Honoured", so maybe destined for the US market originally? That would also explain the Wittnauer tag as early on in that market they shared distribution(Longines also timed, cased and distributed Vacheron Constantin and Jaeger LeCoultre for the US market).

Note them advertising their sport timing, accuracy awards and being the first watch of aviation and exploration. There was a time when Longines had a background in those areas that marques like Breitling, Omega, Rolex etc would have killed for, a brand like IWC wasn't even in the same universe. In Chronometer trials Omega were nearly always in second or third place(after Zenith) and Rolex didn't even get into the same league until the 1960's.

In the cold light of morning :D a wartime date seems bang on. 42/43 kinda date. Is it a steel case, or gold/gold plated? You can tell gold plated if it has a steel back to it. Fully gold cases have gold backs. I'd say it's a smaller watch by today's men's watch standards? 30-32 mm across? If it's 35mm then that adds more value to it again.

For my money this is one of their nicest designs and one that no doubt they'll do a heritage reissue of soon enough.

On servicing, sorry I don't know SB. There is a chap in Kilkenny. Here's the link to him. He does very good work on vintage watches, but he's a bit a ways from you. It's a very nice watch in original condition that has a bit of value to it personally and financially and I'd be dubious of leaving it with someone who didn't know what they were doing. Their movements are very well put together and spares are handy enough to find(and reasonably priced) for movements of this era so that's a major bonus. One thing about them as a company is that they tended to produce one mid/high grade of movement. Others had more of a range from cheap to expensive chronometer movements, Longines produced chronometers, but they didn't seem to push them like others. Their "ordinary" movements can usually be made to be close to chronometer accuracy anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its full gold, not steel, and it measures 32 mm across (see attached picture taken on the window sill, the whitish area is refection of the sky, its clean gold, no dings or major scratches).

470859.jpg

Thanks for your help, info and the details on the servicing, I will enquire..

SB

20190120_100207.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Solid gold as well? Very nice. If it is more for the US market it's likely 14kt gold, if it's 18Kt add more value again. It's great to see really nice vintage watches like this from very good marques still coming out of hiding :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

j65wyp.jpg

Timex Weekender on a Barton leather strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Waiting for my dinner to cook, I took a few photos (and one from yesterday showing the lume). I think it's the symmetry of this watch that is appealing and it's smaller size (at 39mm) compared to the Speedy I have been used to for a long time. I tried to capture the engraved Rolex symbol at 6 o'clock on the glass but it was too difficult. Next step is some form of vintage I reckon: Omega possibly. (Said he who needs new windows in his house much more than another watch...)

470987.png

470988.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

For some reason this photo didn't upload.

470993.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭scotchy

Seiko Caesar day

2wmnxns.jpg

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

My daily wearer, an arctura kinetic. About 25 years old I think, it was very badly scratched and time worn and to make it worse spent 2 years in a knicknacks drawer with a broken bracelet. I brought it to a place last week and they did a beautiful job of polishing, and even did more then I asked for at no extra cost. Needless to say I now feel like I'm wearing a brand new watch!

20190122-142131.jpg

20190122-143730.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Looks in fantastic condition for a 25 year old watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭micks_address

My daily wearer, an arctura kinetic. About 25 years old I think, it was very badly scratched and time worn and to make it worse spent 2 years in a knicknacks drawer with a broken bracelet. I brought it to a place last week and they did a beautiful job of polishing, and even did more then I asked for at no extra cost. Needless to say I now feel like I'm wearing a brand new watch!

SNIP
    May I ask where you brought for polish?

Sure Mick. It was Fast Fix in the Pavilions shopping centre in Swords. I have to say they were excellent, replaced all suspect bracelet bars when only asked to do one and pressure tested the watch too. The whole cost was €90, which I thought was excellent. Seiko charge €135 just to look at a watch.

Sure Mick. It was Fast Fix in the Pavilions shopping centre in Swords. I have to say they were excellent, replaced all suspect bracelet bars when only asked to do one and pressure tested the watch too. The whole cost was €90, which I thought was excellent. Seiko charge €135 just to look at a watch.
    Thank you. Often in the pavilions

My daily wearer, an arctura kinetic. About 25 years old I think,
    Probably not quite 25 years old, Kinetic Auto Relay didn't appear until 1998 and I don't think that particular model is a launch model.

I would guess maybe 16 or 17 years old, the first digit in the serial number (on caseback) corresponds to the year of production. eg 3**** is from 2003, 4**** is from 2004 etc.

Probably not quite 25 years old, Kinetic Auto Relay didn't appear until 1998 and I don't think that particular model is a launch model.

I would guess maybe 16 or 17 years old, the first digit in the serial number (on caseback) corresponds to the year of production. eg 3**** is from 2003, 4**** is from 2004 etc.

That's possible thanks, as I get older my perception of time Alters! I bought it used, so guessing how old it was then. The first digit is 4, so it's only a youngster.

funkyouup wrote: »
    Looks in fantastic condition for a 25 year old watch.

Turns out it's only 15 years old, but it sure didn't look like that last week!

D'ya know what, I'm so pleased with the watch that I'm gonna buy a Police Denton as a daily wearer and keep this one for occasional use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Thought I would share this tag before it goes, lovely looking piece and it will be missed but I’ve something else in my sights
    Btw it’s up for sale on the selling thread if anyone takes a shine to it
    471134.jpeg

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

I like Seiko mainly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dug this one out of the drawer the other day, haven't worn it in ages but I like it.

Unusual chrono setup 1-10 mins on top sub dial and 10's mins on the bottom

471132.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

471217.jpg

Quite possibly the favourite watch in my collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's very nice, very intricate. What's that then, the flightmaster is it? And quartz i presume.

Oh and line that North up with the 12 o clock before one of goes postal.... :D

SNIP as per the title.

Quite possibly the favourite watch in my collection.
    There's a lot going on there

fat bloke wrote: »
    It's very nice, very intricate. What's that then, the flightmaster is it? And quartz i presume.

Bezel not being aligned really grinds my gears along with chronograph not being reset and when I saw my mate leave his air king down on the opposite side to the crown I cringed
    Must be old age ocd coming into play

fat bloke wrote: »

It is indeed, it's the sna411 and you're correct, it's a quartz watch. Ha I didn't notice the bezel. Will correct that of course.
    There's a lot going on there

There is indeed. Oddly I usually don't like such busy dials but for some reason this one works for me.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Bezel not being aligned really grinds my gears along with chronograph not being reset and when I saw my mate leave his air king down on the opposite side to the crown I cringed
    Must be old age ocd coming into play

It got brought out of the box as it needs a new battery hence the misalignment.

It got brought out of the box as it needs a new battery hence the misalignment.

I bought a quartz watch once and it wasn’t working out if the box so I contacted the seller on eBay and they asked me if I had wound the watch or tried shaking it, I still laugh at that 4 years later

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Don’t think I ever added pics of this , got a new oem brown strap for my dsotm pitch black, it’s the one from the vintage version, goes well I think

https://imgur.com/a/6vs0gMF

DzEh17K.jpg
    C6Fv8eZ.jpg
    GNzklx4.jpg
    bqqSqMM.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

A watch from the bargains thread here, Citizen BN0151-9L. It was discounted to $125 so I had it sent to a friend in the US and he brought it over with him. I'm going to try it on a jubilee bracelet I have. The genuine citizen bracelet is $100.

It's an eco drive quartz, I like the blue lume on it.

471350.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement