Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciaranisn

ED E wrote: »
    Too late for your but I wouldnt lock my bike anywhere near Cineworld/Parnell. Gone in 60s.

Oh, yeah. I pretty much accepted that I wasn't getting it back once I saw that it was gone. It's my own fault on that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Check REDACTED for it, they have been found guilty in the past of selling stolen bicycles. Mods: it was my bike, the Gardaí made an arrest, recovered my bike and secured a conviction, so you're safe from libel.

note to poster: the word of a random internet punter does not indemnify boards from libel. if you have details which prove your claim, send them to me via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi all,

This is a thread I had never hoped to need to subscribe to. :(

We had a number of bikes stolen from our well locked garage overnight by some little scrotes. About €4k worth of kit all in, we are absolutely devastated!
    Proper bike stealing professionals I reckon, we didnt hear a thing - they didnt take anything else even though there are drills, tools etc.

I am a little wary of posting pics and details of the bikes here immediately incase the thieves watching this thread are aware we are on the lookout for certain bikes!

Reported to gardai, home insurance, awaiting crime scene gards to arrive and dust for fingerprints now! Insurance will cover a decent amount after a €250 excess but are going to gouge us on our premium for the next 5 years if we claim!! I have details of frame no's etc so hopefully gards can reunite us with them!

Will be keeping my eyes peeled on gumtree, adverts etc over the coming days.

Will consider posting the pics for circulation over the next few days if I think there will be any benefit!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Whats the best way to register bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Whats the best way to register bikes?

Online there is a site.

Keep a record of it and a photo in your email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

take a photo of you standing beside your bike too. if there's any claim made that you're not the actual owner, this can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rob w wrote: »
    I am a little wary of posting pics and details of the bikes here immediately incase the thieves watching this thread are aware we are on the lookout for certain bikes!

I'm not trying to sound smart. But who are you worried about tipping off? the thiefs who stole you bikes know what they look like and all too well that they were stolen.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not trying to sound smart. But who are you worried about tipping off? the thiefs who stole you bikes know what they look like and all too well that they were stolen.

You are probably right, in my state of shock this morning I just thought it would be stupid to flag to the world that I have reported bikes X,Y and Z stolen with pics asking for people to look out for them - with the thinking that there will be zero chance of them then showing up on any adverts sites if the thieves were to see that post!

I didn't want to blow whatever extremely slim chance I may have at getting them returned back to me!

Suppose I've nothing left to lose from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

My friends bike was stolen from Honeypark in Dun Laoghaire last night.

2014 Giant Roam 2 Disc (Grey) Medium
    Like the one pictured:
    http://www.threadgoldcycles.com/images/2014_giant_roam_2_grey.jpg?width=476&height=357

Drop me a line if you happen to come across it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rob w wrote: »
    Reported to gardai, home insurance, awaiting crime scene gards to arrive and dust for fingerprints now! Insurance will cover a decent amount after a €250 excess but are going to gouge us on our premium for the next 5 years if we claim!! I have details of frame no's etc so hopefully gards can reunite us with them!

I went to claim on my house insurance one, that I had paid into for many years. Person on the phone warned me that the premium would cover the cost of whatever we claimed with a year or two and we would pay that higher amount for a few years. Basically only worth it if you risk stopping insurance after or your house is burned down.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I went to claim on my house insurance one, that I had paid into for many years. Person on the phone warned me that the premium would cover the cost of whatever we claimed with a year or two and we would pay that higher amount for a few years. Basically only worth it if you risk stopping insurance after or your house is burned down.

I know, the insurance is almost as frustrating as the bikes being stolen! They let you think they are on your side and there to help you out but when you really need them its hardly worth putting in a claim! They can be very dissapointing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Posting on behalf of a mate, two bike taken yesterday from a house in north Dublin, a Felt and a Planet X. The Planet X is brand new and has eTap. Please keep an eye out, pics to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pascalb

Hi there

My 2 bicycles were stolen from inside my shed in Dunlaoghaire (Cualanor) last night (saturday 12 may early morning)
    One is a beautiful racing bike, Lapierre Sensium 600, luminous green
    The other one is a Cannondale Hybrid, dark grey with touches of yellow.
    I was about to go for a spin with my Lapierre, training for the Wicklow 200... Devastated.

If anybody hears or sees anything...

Thanks a lot
    p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Maybe try the Stolen Bikes thread. I hope you have the frame numbers and have reported the theft to the Gardaí?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106880126

Yes i have reported to Garda. And yes i have the frame numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

pascalb wrote: »
    Hi there

My 2 bicycles were stolen from inside my shed in Dunlaoghaire (Cualanor) last night (saturday 12 may early morning)
    I was about to go for a spin with my Lapierre, training for the Wicklow 200... Devastated.

Thanks a lot
    p.

While everyone here will empathise with your loss and will keep an eye out, can you provide any information on your security arrangements so we can learn from the experience? I was lucky enough to get my bike back after being stolen from my shed, but my security arrangements were poor and I beefed them up substantially afterwards

pascalb wrote: »
    Hi there

Thanks a lot
    p.

Is Cannondale Hybrid a brand, or was it a Cannondale Bad Boy, a Cannondale Quick or whatever?

What size are the bikes?

A lot of bikes allegedly go straight over to our neighbours. http://www.findthatbike.co.uk/ searches Gumtree, DoneDeal, etc for stolen bikes every day

The Cannondale is a Quick CX 5.
    The two are a Large size. Lapierre is 55cm
    I am not going to get into details about security arrangements but thefts happen when those arrangements are not at their best unfortunately. And that's life.
    I was far from expecting this to happen but if i had read this thread before i suppose i would have changed something to my bicycle security. Which i will do next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Weasel_77

If anyone is missing an orange Planet X bike with flat bars in the Dun Laoghaire area, I know where it might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Well damn it, Giant Defy 5 lifted from right outside my office this afternoon. Size M, Silver Grey with a couple of changes from the original setup. It has Shimano RS11 wheels, black fizik bar tape. Bike is 5 years old. Had 2 Abus locks attaching the frame to a bike stand. The thief lifted the stand out of the ground.

lissard wrote: »
    Well damn it, Giant Defy 5 lifted from right outside my office this afternoon. Size M, Silver Grey with a couple of changes from the original setup. It has Shimano RS11 wheels, black fizik bar tape. Bike is 5 years old. Had 2 Abus locks attaching the frame to a bike stand. The thief lifted the stand out of the ground.

Who owns the stand, the workplace or the council? Terrible installation! Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Work place in Sandyford, our landlord put in a number of parking racks that were secured to the ground using bolts with a recessed Allen key type head. The thieves must have come by screwed them out and lifted the stand. When I came out it had been partially screwed back in. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Ahh. Pointless those stands. You really need a stand with its feet well into the concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Triace s503 road bike stolen in Galway area
    Came from US. Both wheels are different
    triace-s503-road-bike-1_12520171832158782392.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Here I am again.......Lucky number 3!!!!

Mens Focus Mountain bike (White and Blue Frame) with Kids hamex seat attached and ladies Felt Hybrid Bike, Black Frame with Kids Hamex seat attached to back stolen last night from Shed in Carpenderstown Dublin 15 last night.

Lock on shed snipped, heavy duty Motorbike lock snipped, Kriptonite lock snipped.

Any sightings of the above I would appreciate it.

Thanks, J

Maybe it's time for a shed alarm?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/KERUI-Standalone-Security-Wireless-Weatherproof/dp/B0176IAE0Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1529056429&sr=1-7&keywords=shed+alarm
    KERUI Standalone Home Office Shop Garage Security Alarm System Kit,Wireless Loud Indoor Outdoor Weatherproof Siren Horn with Remote Control and Door Contact Sensor,Motion Sensor,Up to 110db

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Lock on shed snipped, heavy duty Motorbike lock snipped, Kriptonite lock snipped.
    Sorry to hear that. Just to note it is advisable to keep all locks up really high and in awkward places to they can not use the ground or other objects for leverage.

This company almax make decent chains and test other chains. But notice their technique (which some say is unfair). They use the ground for leverage and so can hop up and down on the handle, this means they can apply huge force.

If that chain was up high there is no way he could have done it with just his hands. if using a shed wooden wall as leverage the wall would break.

If your chains are slack you can wrap them around the bike until they are taut and not sagging low.

• Advertisement

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Here I am again.......Lucky number 3!!!!

Mens Focus Mountain bike (White and Blue Frame) with Kids hamex seat attached and ladies Felt Hybrid Bike, Black Frame with Kids Hamex seat attached to back stolen last night from Shed in Carpenderstown Dublin 15 last night.

Any sightings of the above I would appreciate it.

Thanks, J

That sucks, sorry to hear that! That’s 3 bikes stolen? In how long?

I had a number of bikes stolen from my shed overnight last month and have beefed up security since.
    Now have and additional stronger lock x 2 on the door and I have reinforced the wall/door with extra timber and added some sensor lights.
    Inside is a sheffield stand bolted down to concrete blocks, an alarm and the bikes are locked to the stand with a motorbike chain and a D-Lock.

It’s worrying to hear that they got through a motorbike chain and kryptonite lock – did they do this with a grinder or bolt cutters?
    Was it done quietly or were you not around to hear?

Advertisement