Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The coolough roundabout 22/09/17IMAG2420_zpsa2dwgkse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,451 ✭✭✭✭kippy

m17 wrote: »
    This is the last time we are going to hear this there is a 4km queue approaching clarinbridge on the n18 southbound,it's heavy on the n17 northbound approaching claregalway and there are major delays in tuam with tailbacks as far as the belclare turn off and starting next Thursday it will gridlocked at the coolough roundabout with tailbacks back as far as junction 19 m6 until 2024
    I still reckon those queues will be there. Maybe not as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

kippy wrote: »
    I still reckon those queues will be there. Maybe not as long.

Can't see the queues shrinking much at all TBH. How much of that traffic is really not Galway city bound. Hospital, Uni and Westside will all continue to go through CG and Clarinbridge after expirementation. No real time saving for the extra distance so will go the shorter route.

Galway bypass the only show in town. Unfortunately theirs is the only city that isn't on a Motorway route between other cities/ports so will remain on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yeah I frequently drive down the N17 from Donegal to Rahoon, I'll give the new road a try but looking at distances I wouldn't be surprised if it'll actually take longer outside of rush hour. I know it was discussed to death on here before but its still really disappointing how far from the city the M6 junction is

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Couple of things.

1. Traffic in Clarinbridge is usually an issue outbound. There's no excuse for not using the new road outbound.
    2. The lights in Claregalway will be reconfigured as the N18 is now the R381 and of little importance.
    3. Jams in the evening will surely be less as there won't be congestion at the Coolagh roundabout due to the slip lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

marno21 wrote: »
    Couple of things.

1. Traffic in Clarinbridge is usually an issue outbound. There's no excuse for not using the new road outbound.
    2. The lights in Claregalway will be reconfigured as the N18 is now the R381 and of little importance.
    3. Jams in the evening will surely be less as there won't be congestion at the Coolagh roundabout due to the slip lane.

That's three things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

marno21 wrote: »
    Couple of things.

Why isn't there? I'm undecided whether I'd rather use the M18 past Kilternan or just use the existing road. For oranmore it's a no brainer.

Traffic issues will be mainly gone in Clarinbridge (just avoid school times), however I'd strongly dispute the being no excuse for not using the new road.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why isn't there? I'm undecided whether I'd rather use the M18 past Kilternan or just use the existing road. For oranmore it's a no brainer.

Traffic issues will be mainly gone in Clarinbridge (just avoid school times), however I'd strongly dispute the being no excuse for not using the new road.
    Ok..

If you are using the N6 Bothar na dTreabh and you are at the Coolagh roundabout, you can take the left turn slip and head eastbound on the N6/M6 and turn right at Rathmorrissey for the M18. Direct, and would take approx 20 minutes to get to Gort.

Or you can brave it through the Oranmore roundabouts, Clarinbridge, Kilcolgan and the stretch of road in between. Possibility of trucks, tractors, cyclists all to slow you down. You also have to navigate the Coolagh roundabout directly.

Inbound, there will be traffic at the Coolagh roundabout alright. Outbound, it makes lots of sense to use the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,883 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The m18 1km form gort (12/11/10-21/09/17)IMAG1647_zpsutcdu5yd.jpg22/09/17IMAG2411_zpse1yuf9yp.jpg

Could someone explain to me why those towns are listed in that order? Firstly, the town you come into off that exit is Gort so shouldn't that be top of the sign? Secondly the turn off for the road to Scariff was back on the Ennis bypass wasn't it?

The coolough roundabout 22/09/17IMAG2420_zpsa2dwgkse.jpg
    Is that correct?
    Surely it should be Galway city East, rather than West?
    They have it correct in Irish.

Claregalway needs a rebranding - Claregalway is associated with traffic jams, Baile Chlair is an exotic new place...

• Advertisement

Is that correct?
    Surely it should be Galway city East, rather than West?
    They have it correct in Irish.

Claregalway needs a rebranding - Claregalway is associated with traffic jams, Baile Chlair is an exotic new place...
    Yes, it is indeed incorrect and should say Galway City (East).

Galway City (West) is signed via the N6/Bothar na dTreabh

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

flazio wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me why those towns are listed in that order? Firstly, the town you come into off that exit is Gort so shouldn't that be top of the sign? Secondly the turn off for the road to Scariff was back on the Ennis bypass wasn't it?

Route destination comes first. Then next town/village comes second. Any other towns/villages of significance are listed after.

The kilmore roundabout 23/09/17IMAG2424_zpsyuuvjcer.jpgstart of the tuam bypassIMAG2425_zps7xpd9y9f.jpgthe footbridgeIMAG2223_zpsiuoobijr.jpg

Quackster wrote: »
    Route destination comes first. Then next town/village comes second. Any other towns/villages of significance are listed after.

This is correct. But in this instance the sign is wrong as below:
    The m18 2kms form gort heading northbound 22/09/17IMAG2410_zpsipzn78tr.jpg

It should be

R458 Gort
    (R380) Loughrea
    (R461) Scarriff
    (R462) Tulla

Simply because Loughrea isn't a destination on the R458. It used be on the N66 which ran through Gort, but since the road through Gort will now be the R458, Gort is the primary destination.

RATHMORRISSY 01/04/16IMAG2788_zpstqh0jp6l.jpg01/09/17IMAG4699_zpsyj8co0te.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

They have it correct in Irish..

Don't think so....West should be Thiar and Thoir would be East...so wrong either way!.....but I'm no expert!

The kilmore roundabout 23/09/17IMAG2424_zpsyuuvjcer.jpg

I like the way the roundabout is lined, to ensure left lane users turn left!
    Pity they didn't do the same on the Rathmorrissy roundabout, it would reduce the instances of drivers crossing lanes just in front of an exit.
    IMAG4699_zpsyj8co0te.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WestCoast2017

I'm been lucking here for a while so just saying hi now and thanks for all the info over the last year or so.
    I'll be using this new road frequently as I often drive from Cork to Sligo.
    I'm delighted that its going to be open next week

Roll on the M20 Cork to Limerick!!!!!!

The last bridge on the m18 at rathmorrissy 16/06/162017-09-23_02-58-02_zpsk6cqobkf.jpg04/09/172017-08-25_02-04-23_zps1cge0oww.jpg

I'm been lucking here for a while so just saying hi now and thanks for all the info over the last year or so.
    I'll be using this new road frequently as I often drive from Cork to Sligo.
    I'm delighted that its going to be open next week

Roll on the M20 Cork to Limerick!!!!!!

Can't wait for that to start I'll be there bring you the best pics and updates as its going to be 90kms

• Advertisement

peking97 wrote: »
    Don't think so....West should be Thiar and Thoir would be East...so wrong either way!.....but I'm no expert!
    Ha, I didn't spot the spelling mistake.
    My brain saw the right letters and spelt it correctly.

The r347 tuam to athenryIMAG2427_zpsfgl1rkgt.jpgthe m17IMAG2421_zpsermb0jfm.jpgform this to this in less then 92 hours roll on

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Can't wait for that to start I'll be there bring you the best pics and updates as its going to be 90kms

The only thoughts more exciting than the M17 / M18 opening is this ^^^^ M17 becoming M20 and beinging updates on Cork - Limerick project. That's going to be a bruiser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

OSM updates now coming through in anticipation of Friday's opening!
    Please remain zoomed in to see all the redesignated routes such as the N83 Galway to Tuam road -

"I wish I was on that N83, stone walls and grasses green..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

The m18 1km form gort (12/11/10-21/09/17)IMAG1647_zpsutcdu5yd.jpg22/09/17IMAG2411_zpse1yuf9yp.jpg

Interesting that Corofin in Co Clare hasn't even been mentioned on those signposts as for Tulla and Scarriff is baffling as they have there own turn offs at Jctn 13 on the M18 there not even mentioned on the the sign across the road on the Southbound lanes. It should read Ardrahan and Gort and as for Bhaile Chlair on Jctn 19 on both the M6 and M17 , Claregalway has finally got the death nail like the rest of villages that old National roads used to pass through. I did emergency training on this road today and I found a big problem with it , you have to travel quite a bit to join the motorway to god forbid attend an RTC and the Galway Co. Council are seeking funding for increased stock supplies on the old N18, N17, N63, and N66

• Registered Users Posts: 12,883 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting that Sligo to Cork comes down this way because the way I'd do it is N4 as far as Edgeworthtown, N55 to Athlone, M6 to J5 Kilbeggan, N52 to Tullamore, N80 to Portlaoise, M7/8 to Cork

flazio wrote: »
    Interesting that Sligo to Cork comes down this way because the way I'd do it is N4 as far as Edgeworthtown, N55 to Athlone, M6 to J5 Kilbeggan, N52 to Tullamore, N80 to Portlaoise, M7/8 to Cork
    That may be a crappy route, but it sounds like the shortest one.

Anyone know if the R347 Athenry to Tuam is being changed from regional to local primary?

Also, if there an official list anywhere detailing all the road number and designation changes?

That may be a crappy route, but it sounds like the shortest one.
    Likely was in the past but not any more. Motorway/DC from Patrickswell to north of Tuam will be a major boost. All we need now is Patrickswell-Cork.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the R347 Athenry to Tuam is being changed from regional to local primary?

Also, if there an official list anywhere detailing all the road number and designation changes?
    No, it'll remain regional road for now.

Changes we know of so far:

N17 from N83 junction to Mountpotter roundabout north of Tuam: N83
    N17 from N83 junction through Tuam: tbc
    N17 from Kilmore roundabout (M17) to Bothar na dTreabh (N6): N83
    N63 from Loughgeorge to M17 junction: R354
    N18 from Claregalway to Oranmore (R446): R381
    R446 from Oranmore to Doughiska: N67
    N18 from Kilcolgan to Oranmore: N67
    N18 from Kilcolgan to Gort: R458
    N66 from Gort to Loughrea: R380

Advertisement