Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The m18 at rinn looking towards gort 21/09/17IMAG2347_zpsglyhg4cp.jpgrinn looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2346_zpso8dbyjfy.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The best two projects to come next, and which will make more use of the M17/M18 are the M20 and the N6 Galway bypasses.

The M20 will mean Cork-Tuam in 2 hours. The N6 Galway bypass will finally solve the congestion issues around Galway's national road network.

I think Leo will restart at least 1 N17 project in his Capital Plan. I've a feeling it'll be Tuam-Claremorris although a Co. Sligo scheme may be seen too.

The flyover at sheeaunpark on the m17 21/09/17IMAG2183_zpspufq86nt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

marno21 wrote: »
    The best two projects to come next, and which will make more use of the M17/M18 are the M20 and the N6 Galway bypasses.

The M20 will mean Cork-Tuam in 2 hours. The N6 Galway bypass will finally solve the congestion issues around Galway's national road network.

I think Leo will restart at least 1 N17 project in his Capital Plan. I've a feeling it'll be Tuam-Claremorris although a Co. Sligo scheme may be seen too.

And I hope you're right on all counts. Anyway just followed this thread initially to get info on what's happening with the current scheme due to open on Wednesday so at this stage just want to say thanks to all who've provided updates especially the prolific poster as he's been referred to elsewhere - M17.

Roadfan wrote: »
    And I hope you're right on all counts. Anyway just followed this thread initially to get info on what's happening with the current scheme due to open on Wednesday so at this stage just want to say thanks to all who've provided updates especially the prolific poster as he's been referred to elsewhere - M17.

I just hope that future road forums will be as good as this one I would like to thank everyone for all the great comments over the past 32 months it's flown by with six days left to opening after 17 years of design and planning it's finally happening,thanks again yours m17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well they had basically made it down to a preferred Route selection on that scheme, it use to be up on the Galway County Council site before they purged it, unfortunatly the pdf isn't available on archive.org

n17.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well they had basically made it down to a preferred Route selection on that scheme, it use to be up on the Galway County Council site before they purged it, unfortunatly the pdf isn't available on archive.org

n17.jpg
    The issue is that all those suspended schemes have to restart from scratch - so this will have to go through all the motions again.

If its reactivated by year end it could start around 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Long time watcher here. Just looked at the last 4 pages and I see M17's text but not the pictures he is labelling / categorizing ?

westgolf wrote: »
    Long time watcher here. Just looked at the last 4 pages and I see M17's text but not the pictures he is labelling / categorizing ?

There's nothing wrong with the pics at this end

m17 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with the pics at this end

For example a few posts back you have the flyover at sheeaun park. All that come up for me is the text, nothing else ?

• Advertisement

For example a few posts back you have the flyover at sheeaun park. All that come up for me is the text, nothing else ?
    Maybe you have a slow internet connection and they didn't get a chance to load.
    or you have photobucket blocked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

They're coming through for me - perhaps your internet connection may be slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I can't see them either. I am usually able to see M17's picture though.

Maybe you have a slow internet connection and they didn't get a chance to load.
    or you have photobucket blocked

Rebooted and all loaded straight away. Strange ?

Anyway, big thank you to M17 for his brilliant work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Another one with issues viewing images. Wonder if it’s a safari browser issue after updating the iOS. It says safari can’t establish a secure connection to the photobucket server, and my internet is very fast. Either way, cheers M17. When I drive the route for the first time next week I’d say it will feel very familiar because of your photos over the last few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

gebbel wrote: »
    Another one with issues viewing images. Wonder if it’s a safari browser issue after updating the iOS. It says safari can’t establish a secure connection to the photobucket server, and my internet is very fast. Either way, cheers M17. When I drive the route for the first time next week I’d say it will feel very familiar because of your photos over the last few months!

I'm using chrome and still cannot see them. It is only m17's last two posts that I cannot see if I go further back I can't see the older post pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

dubhthach wrote: »

n17.jpg

Was this planned to be motorway standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

m17 wrote: »
    The flyover at sheeaunpark on the m17 21/09/17IMAG2183_zpspufq86nt.jpg

There's something incredibly satisfying about seeing a brand new gleaming piece of high quality motorway about to open in this country!!:D:D:D

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    No, 2+2 dual carraigeway (Type 2), same as the Tuam bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭muddle84

muddle84 wrote: »
    I really do think this is all that is required for Tuam to Sligo and onward to Donegal. Looking at the volume of traffic this road sees and then the cost of a dual carriageway. I just can't see how it would be feasible. But looking at the safety side of things with that crash lately in Claremorris maybe a dual carriageway might be on the table.

How would having wider roads be safer. The woman drove straight out onto the main road in front of a truck. Unless you mean having a flyover. But there is a lot of roads connecting to the existing N17 and it would cost a lot of money to widen the road and have fly overs on each road.
    Upgrade to a dual carriageway would also mean upgrading the junctions. That's what I was thinking in that post. Look at the money that's spent on the road south of Ballindine to get rid of that bend where that crash was in the noughties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Crusheen to Gort open this morning. Surprised they didn't put down dividers at gort exit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

glineli wrote: »
    Crushers to Gort open this morning. Surprised they didn't put down dividers at gort exit

How is traffic being diverted on to the Gort slip? Is it just cones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

yes, just cones

The m18 1km form gort (12/11/10-21/09/17)IMAG1647_zpsutcdu5yd.jpg22/09/17IMAG2411_zpse1yuf9yp.jpg

The m18 2kms form gort heading northbound 22/09/17IMAG2410_zpsipzn78tr.jpg1kmIMAG2411_zpse1yuf9yp.jpg500 metresIMAG2412_zpsscqgnj35.jpggortIMAG2413_zpsgbkf29n1.jpggort looking towards LimerickIMAG2414_zpsft5g6vrz.jpggort looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2415_zpshbetajam.jpgthe roundaboutIMAG2394_zpsuta017lz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Looking forward to using this next week.

No more Clarinbridge, Kilcolgan, Labane for me........:D

GALWAY: The M6 Dublin/Galway Rd is down to one lane heading towards Galway City between J17 Athenry and J19 Oranmore for works until tomorrow afternoon (23rd)

FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Reuben1210 wrote: »

As mentioned 2+2, same was proposed of course for the following potential schemes:
    • Charlestown Bypass
    • Tobercurry Bypass
    • Tobercurry to Collooney

GALWAY: The M6 Dublin/Galway Rd is down to one lane heading towards Galway City between J17 Athenry and J19 Oranmore for works until tomorrow afternoon (23rd)

FYI

That work is now complete new signs m6 heading westbound 22/09/17IMAG2416_zpsqxnwnnzx.jpg2IMAG2417_zpseq0omnpd.jpg3IMAG2418_zpsgiyfxl9o.jpg4IMAG2419_zps1lpr7a8w.jpg

• Advertisement

This is the last time we are going to hear this there is a 4km queue approaching clarinbridge on the n18 southbound,it's heavy on the n17 northbound approaching claregalway and there are major delays in tuam with tailbacks as far as the belclare turn off and starting next Thursday it will gridlocked at the coolough roundabout with tailbacks back as far as junction 19 m6 until 2024

Advertisement