Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

19875915_1535116926526437_627748438_o.jpg

Does anyone know what fish this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Sandeel

19893640_1535116996526430_3113400_o.jpg]

thanks very much :) and is this one a young Pollock?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

First is a cuckoo wrasse, second is sandeel third is pollock

Now - you seem new to the sport - i'd like you to remember something

Fishing is a lot like golf, - you dont have to eat the ball when your finished to enjoy yourself.

You cant eat wrasse, or sandeel, and that pollock is about 3lb's too small to be decent.

You would be wise to look up the benefits of catch and release!

• Advertisement

mirrors wrote: »
    Cuckoo wrasse.

ardinn wrote: »
    First is a ballan wrasse, second is sandeel third is pollock

Now - you seem new to the sport - i'd like you to remember something

Fishing is a lot like golf, - you dont have to eat the ball when your finished to enjoy yourself.

You cant eat wrasse, or sandeel, and that pollock is about 3lb's too small to be decent.

You would be wise to look up the benefits of catch and release!
    You can eat wrasse and sand eel, they just don't taste great.

There's no size limit on Pollack, they just don't taste great either, at any size.
    And I'm glad to report that fishing is nothing like golf, if it was there'd be a lot more golfers doing it and who would want that!

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    You can eat wrasse and sand eel, they just don't taste great.

There's no size limit on Pollack, they just don't taste great either, at any size.
    And I'm glad to report that fishing is nothing like golf, if it was there'd be a lot more golfers doing it and who would want that!

I know there is no size limit on pollock, but there probably should be when you look at the above!

Cuckoo is correct - apologies

I like golf! But maybe my analogy went over your head!

I know there is no size limit on pollock, but there probably should be when you look at the above!

Cuckoo is correct - apologies

I like golf! But maybe my analogy went over your head!

The poster will probably not bother with a fish of that size after he realises how little reward there is in killing.
    The analogy didn't go over my head, I just don't think it's very good. We don't beat a fish with a club a hundred times before we throw it back.

There's nothing wrong with someone taking taking a few fish for the table and any lessons you're trying to preach he's probably already figured out by himself.

Yes, taking a pollock that small is not a great idea, but it's not as if there's a shortage of them around our coasts.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the way your post came across with a holier than thou attitude.

The poster will probably not bother with a fish of that size after he realises how little reward there is in killing.
    The analogy didn't go over my head, I just don't think it's very good. We don't beat a fish with a club a hundred times before we throw it back.

There's nothing wrong with someone taking taking a few fish for the table and any lessons you're trying to preach he's probably already figured out by himself.

Yes, taking a pollock that small is not a great idea, but it's not as if there's a shortage of them around our coasts.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the way your post came across with a holier than thou attitude.

Not HTT, but im of the opinion if the poster had caught 100 fish during that session they would all be in the sink, whether it was pollock or not is not the point, if it was bass they would still be in the sink! And thats a serious matter in my book!

Your right - there is nothing wrong with taking a fish for the table, but the sandeel or the wrasse will not be eaten. So he killed them to bring them home to put them in the bin. Pretty much the same with the pollock as its useless.

Anyway - picture thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod. Lads we'll leave it go there. Start a new thread if either of ye want to continue the debate. Back to fishy photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

Just curious what sort of trout this is? I'm new to trout fishing and catching a fair few of these but only at this size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

PraxisPete wrote: »
    Just curious what sort of trout this is? I'm new to trout fishing and catching a fair few of these but only at this size.

Brown trout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

PraxisPete wrote: »

Yes, a wee Brown Trout. Please remove the hook first and then take your picture

• Registered Users Posts: 10 akeaveney

Hi,

first time posting here.

Caught a little 2lb jack pike in the River Suck last Thursday 3rd August , Ballinasloe/Derrymullan (about a mile from the train station).

Lure was just a small spoon.
    Going back this Thursday for something bigger hopefully.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Nice pike..

The way your holding him is a bit unusual.. Learn to hold them by the gill grip safest way of unhooking and taking pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Spike78

Not a fish but a fine catch all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

akeaveney wrote: »
    Hi,

first time posting here.

Caught a little 2lb jack pike in the River Suck last Thursday 3rd August , Ballinasloe/Derrymullan (about a mile from the train station).

Lure was just a small spoon.
    Going back this Thursday for something bigger hopefully.

A.

Congrats on the fish but that is not the way to hold a pike. You'd get absolutely torn apart on social media or on fishing forums for that.

There are some good articles on the PAC (Pike Angling Clubs) GB that any new pike angler should read:

Pike Fishing Fundamentals
    Handling Pike
    Wire Trace and Basic Rigs
    Lure Fishing Basics

Agreed it isn't the best way to hold a pike, Heres a video on handling pike covers the basics
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7XBbF4Cf8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 akeaveney

thanks a million for the info guys,
    completely new to this.

A.

We all were st some point! There fairly sensitive fish even though they look like modern dinosaurs! If you follow advice in the videos above you'll start to learn more about fish safety that's all you can do is learn!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Hey was out earlier and we found this girl about to die, yas ever come across this on a fish? Is it white spot or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Brownie caught on mini rapala today.

Hey was out earlier and we found this girl about to die, yas ever come across this on a fish? Is it white spot or something..

Good lord - you should have kept that and reported it - doesnt look good at all.

I'd mail those pics to the IFI tonight! Maybe its common but ive never seen it before and definately wouldnt have put it back into the water system!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Good lord - you should have kept that and reported it - doesnt look good at all.

I'd mail those pics to the IFI tonight! Maybe its common but ive never seen it before and definately wouldnt have put it back into the water system!
    I wouldn't think it's anything to serious to be honest. I've seen something similar with a roach I think it was. It was probably an old fish too. I'll have s word with someone next week, I'll report back if I get an idea of what it might be

Pretty classic looking effects of bad handling. The fish was probably put on the ground on gravel or sand by the previous captor.
    Removes the protective slime and damages the skin and scales allowing bacteria in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Pretty classic looking effects of bad handling. The fish was probably put on the ground on gravel or sand by the previous captor.
    Removes the protective slime and damages the skin and scales allowing bacteria in.

I've often seen similar on trout from bad handling like you say, high water temperatures also exasperated the problem. If they make it til winter and cold water mostly they survive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Auldloon wrote: »
    I've often seen similar on trout from bad handling like you say, high water temperatures also exasperated the problem. If they make it til winter and cold water mostly they survive it.

Is there any scientific evidence that this is caused by bad handling? Only my opinion, but I don't believe this could be caused by bad handling.

• Advertisement

What size was she? Looks like she was dropped on gravel not a nice sight

Advertisement