Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How can democracies not consider this a major problem /

Propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Surely after a storm there wouldn't have been cutlery and the like out on the table as was described years ago!? That 'explanation' seems like a bit of a cop out to be honest.

A lot of the more colourful details of the Mary Celeste come from a telling of the mystery by Arthur Conan Doyle. He changed the name of the ship to Marie Celeste, and included the details about the table set for dinner, etc. that he could not have known, but certainly sounded good. It made for such a compelling tale that we still discuss the mystery today. I think the reality was a bit more mundane than the Doyle version. Still mysterious, but there have been some good efforts at explanations, like the crew's fear of exploding alcohol fumes as has been suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I think there was an issue of bottle as well as drugs. His game was outstanding most of the time. But when the pressure was on, particularly in finals his game became ordinary, even below ordinary. Players who won the world championship could excel when the fat was in the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In 2010 the richest 388 people billionaires had as much wealth as the poorest 3.6 billion people.

The it dropped to 62 billionaires.

Now just EIGHT billionaires have as much wealth as half of humanity.

How can democracies not consider this a major problem /

Wealth inequality is considered an economic problem and a pretty major issue

However these figures don't show the full picture, i.e. they don't show how the situation for the poor is improving year after year

The world managed to halve global poverty in just two decades

Also some often wrongly assume there is a limited amount of "wealth" in the world - wealth is created, the poor are also getting wealthier

Massively wealthy individuals are a by-product of a system that is also currently working better than any other systems in the past at improving the aggregate wealth and living standards of everyone (a system that is far from perfect, but constantly being tweaked etc)

Obviously it's better to move towards narrower inequality, e.g. somewhere like Denmark - the highest paid in a company on average receives about 4 times the lowest paid (whereas in the US that gap is significantly larger)

Worth mentioning that Switzerland recently had a vote to limit highest paid to 12 times that of the lowest paid in a company - and the notion was strongly rejected as most Swiss felt it would make the country as a whole less competitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

odyssey06 wrote: »

I'd say there are at least two people to whom that is not a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

LordSutch wrote: »
    Why did Kate say "they've taken her"?

That always bothers me, as how did Kate think anybody took her? My 1st reaction would have been "We can find Maddie" or there's no sign of Maddie!

Wonder why Kate said "They've taken her"?

Reminds me of when the police called OJ Simpson to notify him Nicole Brown was dead.

Instead of asking what happened, he of course just asked was she really dead? In that case, he'd fly back to LA the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I don't think you're one of the few. I think there are so many theories and possibilities and, unfortunately, it looks likely the truth will never be known...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I have no idea if they killed her, but I certainly think they know more than they let on.

Just too many odd behaviours. I don't know why or how they've stayed actively in the spotlight, instead of focussing on raising their other 2 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I have no idea if they killed her, but I certainly think they know more than they let on.

Just too many odd behaviours. I don't know why or how they've stayed actively in the spotlight, instead of focussing on raising their other 2 kids.

What an odd statement. You think they've neglected their two kids while making an effort to 'stay in the spotlight'?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I think it's unlikely that the McCaans his Madeleine's body - they would've only had an hour as one of the party they were with checked on the children at 9pm

It seems to me that it would be even less likely that if the parents did anything that they would involve one of the "Tapas 7" because the more people that knew increases the chances of someone spilling the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    What an odd statement. You think they've neglected their two kids while making an effort to 'stay in the spotlight'?? :confused:

I mean focussing on them, rather than refusing to move on. I'm not saying they should forget Madeleine, but those two kids have only ever known this saga. Their parents have spent 10 years popping up every few months to sue somebody and appearing in the media to remind us all of their loss. They even gave up work (at least Kate did, I don't know about Gerry).

You can't tell me this all hasn't had a detrimental effect on their little lives?

Ben Needham's mum still crops up the odd time (when there's been a development), but from year to year you don't hear from her. She's gotten on with her life, grieving but still living.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They even gave up work (at least Kate did, I don't know about Gerry).

Maybe, rather than suggesting that she wasn't focusing her other two kids, the fact she gave up work might suggest that she wants to spend more time with them. I'm sure that loosing a child makes you reevaluate things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

There was a lad picked up 13 miles off the coast on a surfboard.

Would it have been a mystery if he hadn't been found ?

That's kinda how a mystery works!

I think we'll rename you Captain Obvious ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

mkhall wrote: »
    I love the show unsolved mysteries but I saw this on Reddit a few years ago...This never fails to freak me out!!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

I'm liking the bear theory right now. Freaky/ fascinating case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

who shot down President Habyarimana plane.

Always believed myself it was the Rwanda army that used it as a catalyst to start the genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Was Liam Lawlor bumped off because he had so much dirt on Fianna Fail and/or his globalist/elitist buddies?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Maybe it's been mentioned by someone else but mine is the mystery of the Mary Celeste. Watched the movie about it as a kid and it's always stuck in my mind.

http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/what-happened-to-the-mary-celeste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

fxotoole wrote: »
    Was Liam Lawlor bumped off because he had so much dirt on Fianna Fail and/or his globalist/elitist buddies?

'Fianna Fail' and 'dirt' were hardly mutually exclusive secrets in 2005!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Maybe it's been mentioned by someone else but mine is the mystery of the Mary Celeste. Watched the movie about it as a kid and it's always stuck in my mind.

http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/what-happened-to-the-mary-celeste

Its been solved

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/inthenews/itn060522

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Sin City wrote: »
    There's been quite a few theory's and books published claiming to have 'solved' the mystery of the Mary Celeste, such as an alleged survivor admitting to murdering all, to natural gas over coming those on board and falling over the side, to a giant octopus attacking the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

9/11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

9/11

I saw a YouTube video that might shed some light on the towers the way they collapsed. The heat of the jet fuel coupled with the sprinkler systems on all floors caused the heat from the fires to be magnified by enough to compromise the structural stability of the steel beams. The video used the example of adding water to a frying pan with hot oil. Other videos had people who said they heard sounds like bombs going off at regular intervals like what would happen with a controlled demolition. It's hard to know what to believe with 9/11 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

9/11

Hmmm... I think I'll stick with the conventional explanation there.

Approached purely from a conspiracy theory perspective, if there's some secret cabal willing to stage something on this scale, I hardly doubt they would have any qualms about planting some WMDs in Iraq to conveniently 'find'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

9/11

The video evidence is fairly strong on that one ha!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ligerdub wrote: »
    The video evidence is fairly strong on that one ha!

Not for building 7

the first building in the world to collapse due to a few minor fires scattered around a few various floors. (co-incedently the same building that was housing the FBI's investigations into various Wall St. irregularities)

The video evidence on building 7 suggests a controlled demolition, with most demolition experts calling it the perfect demolition.

Building 7 falling

It really couldn't have fallen any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The thing about 9/11 that just doesn't make sense is the pentagon footage.
    Not a hope that damage was done a plane.

Advertisement