Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Overhead works progressing at Fassaugh Avenue, photo attached

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Deedsie wrote: »
    I walked along Dawson Street twice today. Relaying the old slabs for the footpath on the Stephens green end by the Mansion House. Looked great to see the beginnings of the clean up on the street.

Same at TCD.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Overhead works progressing at Fassaugh Avenue, photo attached

Erp. Attachment was too large, I didn't realise that this post had gone through anyway! Here it is:

rhfgV0U.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That looks so much better than the wasteland that was there for years previous ^

Amirani wrote: »
    That looks so much better than the wasteland that was there for years previous ^

Yeah, the whole scheme should really provide a bit of a boost for the area in terms of security and connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm a lurker, and raging that we don't have a LUAS near us, but anyway....

This project is motoring along, very happy to see the progress being made. No omelettes without breaking eggs and all that.

Happy people in Cabra and the new DIT campus. Good oh. I'll be on board to see parts of the city I am not very familiar with, being Northside and all. LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

This is way down the list in terms of what is important but I noticed today on Dawson Street that the southbound tracks were on cobbled ground while northbound tracks were normal pavement. I've noticed something similar on Hawkins Street where the cobblestoned section ends randomly for no reason mid way through the track. It all looks a bit tardy. Is there a reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Chivito550 wrote: »
    This is way down the list in terms of what is important but I noticed today on Dawson Street that the southbound tracks were on cobbled ground while northbound tracks were normal pavement. I've noticed something similar on Hawkins Street where the cobblestones section ends randomly for no reason mid way through the track. It all looks a bit tardy. Is there a reason for this?

It's certainly not aesthetic, probably to aid pedestrians/cyclists(/northbound traffic) about where they should/should not be.

Not sure why the Hawkins Street one abruptly stops (maybe there's access allowed for cars to a car park or something?) but yes, the cobbled parts are intended to ensure cars know that that part is not shared, whereas the regular tarmac is shared with all other traffic. You can see this already in other existing parts of the Luas network:

ggqt3TB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Not sure why the Hawkins Street one abruptly stops (maybe there's access allowed for cars to a car park or something?) but yes, the cobbled parts are intended to ensure cars know that that part is not shared, whereas the regular tarmac is shared with all other traffic. You can see this already in other existing parts of the Luas network:

ggqt3TB.jpg

Is it not that tarmac is for shared running and cobblestone is Luas only?

Didn't fully read your post ;)

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Is it not that tarmac is for shared running and cobblestone is Luas only?

Didn't fully read your post ;)

:confused:

So where exactly will the LUAS have to share space? Northbound on Dawson St, I'm assuming both directions on Nassau Street and College Green. Anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

So where exactly will the LUAS have to share space? Northbound on Dawson St, I'm assuming both directions on Nassau Street and College Green. Anywhere else?

Dominick St, both upper and lower. Southend of O' Connell St before it reaches the station/set down point. Shortly after leaving O' Connell St onto Parnell St, it'll have it's own section up till Dominick St.

Not sure what the situation is from Parnell St southbound.

Own section between Dominick St/Western Way at the junction towards Broadstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Dominick St, both upper and lower. Southend of O' Connell St before it reaches the station/set down point. Shortly after leaving O' Connell St onto Parnell St, it'll have it's own section up till Dominick St.

Not sure what the situation is from Parnell St southbound.

Own section between Dominick St/Western Way at the junction towards Broadstone.

It's almost like these sections should be in a tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

:confused:

The second part was an edit, I answered the question the same as you but hadn't seen you gave the same answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's almost like these sections should be in a tunnel

Mary O'Rourke, is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It all looks a bit tardy. Is there a reason for this?

I say it is due to cost. Tarmac is a lot cheaper than cobblestone.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I say it is due to cost. Tarmac is a lot cheaper than cobblestone.

It's not, I explained it above

Platform works at Harcourt stop

They have started the work at 4 or 5 stations I notice when on the route Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Out of interest why do existing Green line stops need to be upgraded? Is it for longer or different type trams?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Out of interest why do existing Green line stops need to be upgraded? Is it for longer or different type trams?

Longer trams entering service once BXD opens, they had longer ones in mind as they constructed Brides Glen part with longer platforms but who could of know back in early 2000's it would be so successful hence longer ones are required for Sanyford-Stephen's Green section.

ongarboy wrote: »

Longer trams

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    but who could of know back in early 2000's it would be so successful hence longer ones are required for Sanyford-Stephen's Green section.

The dog on the street?

If cobblestoned sections are to indicate which parts of the track other traffic can't drive in, then why are there no cobblestones in the "Lána Tram" on Harcourt Street?

Also noticed that a lot of parts of the new on road tracks don't have cobblestones. They surely aren't going to allow private cars onto these sections at peak hour? That would defeat the purpose of the LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭seekers

Let's not forget the visionaries who campaigned not to have a criss city tram system. These are all gone now and we have all the mess afterwards. The original cross city network was to Drumcondra?

If cobblestoned sections are to indicate which parts of the track other traffic can't drive in, then why are there no cobblestones in the "Lána Tram" on Harcourt Street?

Also noticed that a lot of parts of the new on road tracks don't have cobblestones. They surely aren't going to allow private cars onto these sections at peak hour? That would defeat the purpose of the LUAS.

It's possible the Harcourt Street section was built before they figured out the shared use issue (I don't think the original Green Line has *any* shared use sections?) and stuff then they decided to use cobbles later on. As to your second point, you'll have to specify where you mean.

It's possible the Harcourt Street section was built before they figured out the shared use issue (I don't think the original Green Line has *any* shared use sections?) and stuff then they decided to use cobbles later on. As to your second point, you'll have to specify where you mean.

Dominick street looks like a recipe for disaster if cars can share that space with trams. I'm not familiar with the area so not sure how much traffic that area sees at peak hour, but I walked it Sunday morning and it's not exactly a super wide street.

College Green could be chaos too if taxis are allowed drive on the tracks.

Dominick street looks like a recipe for disaster if cars can share that space with trams. I'm not familiar with the area so not sure how much traffic that area sees at peak hour, but I walked it Sunday morning and it's not exactly a super wide street.

College Green could be chaos too if taxis are allowed drive on the tracks.

According to this https://www.luascrosscity.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1.4-Cathal-Brugha-Dominick-St-Lwr.pdf and https://www.luascrosscity.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1.5-Dominick-St-Lwr-Constitution-Hill.pdf Dominick Street Lower will have south bound traffic only, and that will be on a separate lane apart from one small turn lane section, which will be rarely used (most Dominick Street traffic currently is heading up to Dorset Street, so this street might end up pretty quiet.

Dominick Street Upper will have a short two way shared use area, but this is again a very low traffic street, so I suspect it'll be much like the shared use space around the Georges Dock section of the Red Line.

• Advertisement

I'm actually surprised that while they've had Dominick Street Lower one way only during the construction that it's been northbound one way, when they could have made it southbound only and prepared everyone for the new traffic flows that'll be coming anyway.

Advertisement