Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

farna_boy wrote: »
    Father in law is looking for a basic laptop just for basic internet, watching streams etc and has a budget of about €400 and wants a 15" screen. I had a quick look in Currys and on dell and the two most common processors are either a pentium N3710 or an AMD A6 7310.

Realistically, is there any difference between them?

Also, would 8GB of RAM make any difference over 4GB?

I cannot comment on the processors but for general internet use 4GB of RAM is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,992 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Question how much would one get for a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+ PCI-E 6GB Graphics Card?

Bought a year ago on 9th of Feb

mint condition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Headshot wrote: »
    Question how much would one get for a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+ PCI-E 6GB Graphics Card?

Bought a year ago on 9th of Feb

mint condition

You would do well to get €400

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

probably around the 350-400 mark as a gtx 1070 can be got for about 400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Heading to NYC in April, is there any components, accessories etc that would be cheaper over there compared to here ? I know the strength of the Dollar is cutting out most savings but might still grab a bargain ?

I think there is a BestBuy near enough to where I'm staying and there's an Amazon locker close for deliveries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think Microcenter is the place to go over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Well I bought my macbook in NY for around 2k euro, would have been 2.89k over here. Stuff is just much cheaper over in the states in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Got 1 of these today.

Great little and cheap mechanical keyboard with white led switch back lighting but it's not as bright as it appears in the pictures. Cheap Chinese cherry mx blue knock off switches but they feel good to me. A tad noisy but that's what you get with cherry blues. Keycaps are double shot so the font won't fade. They also have a soft touch finish. It even comes with a decent but small cloth mouse mat. Layout is US though but there's not much difference. The Koolertron name/logo in the top left can be removed if you don't like it. It has a metal front and a metal plate that the switches attach to. It weights over a kilo despite it's small size. Bottom side is plastic. The feet seem pretty robust with a nice rubber top. A bargain for €40 with free delivery. It also comes in a silver base + white keycaps model.

61NiGrGsPyL._SL1001_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Keyboards-Mice-Input-Devices/Koolertron-Mechanical-Keyboard-Anti-Ghosting-Switches-Transparent-Light-permeable/B010V4YK5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486407448&sr=8-1&keywords=koolertron+87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

"Every moment do fashion"

That's me sold.

"Every moment do fashion"

That's me sold.

Haha. I'm glad someone noticed that. Chinese marketing at it's finest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

That looks good, gonna sell my g710+ and get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I think Microcenter is the place to go over there.

Microcenter is heaven! Everything PC World should be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Microcenter is heaven! Everything PC World should be...

Don't think Microcenter is going to be doable :(

i know this is completely off topic but has anyone got a recommendation for a video camera (200euro) that can be setup to record while charging at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

i know this is completely off topic but has anyone got a recommendation for a video camera (200euro) that can be setup to record while charging at the same time?

For streaming? Most dslrs can be fit with a fake battery that can just be plugged into an outlet.

Go pros can also record while charging

Don't know about what you'd get for 200 quid but maybe second hand

Sister is a teacher looking to record her classes, I know absolutely nothing about cameras :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sister is a teacher looking to record her classes, I know absolutely nothing about cameras :/

I expect she would not be permitted to record any students, only herself delivering the 'class'.

I presume as there wouldn't be much point in filming students sitting down as opposed to the board/herself, she also does online tutorials

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can anyone figure out who the i3-7350k is supposed to be for?

Every benchmark I've seen has it beaten by the i5-7600 (and even older-generation i5's).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Someone ill-informed?

• Advertisement

RffV7xq.gif

so much money though

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Can anyone figure out who the i3-7350k is supposed to be for?

Every benchmark I've seen has it beaten by the i5-7600 (and even older-generation i5's).

Overclockers I guess. They seems to hit 4.9/5Ghz pretty easy. Otherwise its a cash grab.

so much money though

At that price, just get a Herman Miller Aeron. They are super comfortable, extremely hard wearing and all round the best chair ever.

At that price, just get a Herman Miller Aeron. They are super comfortable, extremely hard wearing and all round the best chair ever.

The regular 350 is quite a bit cheaper, but it's still heading toward Aeron territory...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

aerons are the only way to go. I'm surprised those gaming chairs don't have RGB leds on them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Overclockers I guess. They seems to hit 4.9/5Ghz pretty easy. Otherwise its a cash grab.

Right, but even at 5GHz they lose in all benchmarks :confused:

The real question is why would anyone buy an intel cpu with Ryzen less than a month away.

They will have a proper 4 core with overclocking for as low as €100 with similar IPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

BloodBath wrote: »
    The real question is why would anyone buy an intel cpu with Ryzen less than a month away.

They will have a proper 4 core with overclocking for as low as €100 with similar IPC.

Putting on my devils advocate hat for a moment here.
    My guess is they might already have the platform and going AMD means more that the cost of the CPU.

SickBoy wrote: »
    My guess is they might already have the platform and going AMD means more that the cost of the CPU.

True, but given Intel's habit of changing socket every generation (given that there isn't much if any performance gain CPU to CPU per socket) that's probably not as big a deal. Odds are AMD will stick with AM4 longer than Intel would with another socket anyway.

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »

True. I don't expect anyone with a current gen or 1 gen old intel i5 or i7 to upgrade to a Ryzen. Some will, most won't.

There's still a lot of people buying new PC's and a lot of us, like me, on older parts like a 3570k who definitely will.

I can't wait for the 8/16 Ryzen to smash the light building times in UE4. It should be at least 3.5 - 4 times faster than my 3570k. It can take 2+ hours at the moment for a high quality build on the 3570k for a small scene.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement