Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's a bit like asking for a source if someone was to predict that it'll rain in Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ringostare

Don Cunningham. Can be reached at (01) 7033258.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's a bit like asking for a source if someone was to predict that it'll rain in Ireland this year.

No, nobody would waste any time on that, as it is a fact solely about the future and we all know it is certainly going to rain in Ireland this year. We're only at January 11th and it has very possibly been doing so incessantly.

I was asking the bould Ringo - who seems to have spent almost all of his three and a half years on this site concentrating on my posts, neglecting all the other wonderful forums and threads here on boards.ie - if he had a source for a decision which had apparently been made in the past but which will or might have an affect on the future.

In relation to tunnelling under TCD, which Ringo claims will never happen, can he provide a source - a document perhaps - which would show why, by whom, and for what reason, such a decision might have been taken?

You've missed my point, 'DU will never tunnel under Trinity' can be stated as confidently as, for example, 'it will rain in Ireland in September 2017', even though it's impossible to provide a source for either prediction.

Not at all. Ringo effectively stated that a decision had been made, and it would not be revisited.

Nobody can make a decision about the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have decided that the weather will be terrible tomorrow

Not at all. Ringo effectively stated that a decision had been made, and it would not be revisited.

Nobody can make a decision about the weather.

hqdefault.jpg

"There is no reason Dart Underground can't go under Trinity"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ringostare wrote: »
    Don Cunningham. Can be reached at (01) 7033258.
    That's a CIE number alright, going by the 703 bit. Who is Don Cunningham?

I have decided that the weather will be terrible tomorrow

And, it probably was pretty crap. That's what you'd expect in Ireland at this time of year.

Are you making any progress on that route for the interconnector via Harold's Cross. Rathmines and Rathgar, that you were promoting recently. Can we expect a map fairly soon?

[IMG][/img]2n00k8n.png

• Advertisement

Very nice, Ringo, lovely drawing, though I'm not sure how metro north comes into it. There was a very understandable problem with the north-south metro going under TCD, but I've never heard about a serious problem with an east-west line going through/under there. .

Now, can you do one which shows why it is okay to tunnel under Dublin Castle and Government Buildings, two other protected buildings (or sets of buildings).

That's two protected buildings under which a route via St. Stephen's Green would go, versus just one protected building (or set of buildings) which a more direct route would require.

Can you do that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we lift the level of debate, or this thread will be closed. Childish drawings and hobby horses belong elsewhere.

Very nice, Ringo, lovely drawing, though I'm not sure how metro north comes into it. There was a very understandable problem with the north-south metro going under TCD, but I've never heard about a serious problem with an east-west line going through/under there. .

Now, can you do one which shows why it is okay to tunnel under Dublin Castle and Government Buildings, two other protected buildings (or sets of buildings).

That's two protected buildings under which a route via St. Stephen's Green would go, versus just one protected building (or set of buildings) which a more direct route would require.

Can you do that?

No.

In any case, the LUAS green line is heading north, towards O'Connell Street, and beyond. One would hope some good reasons will soon be forthcoming for the St. Stephen's Green loop, rather than a direct route across the city.

And, of course, should save in or around 100 million euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

And, of course, should save in or around 100 million euro.

Aka a pittance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: This thread is getting more repetitive the longer it goes on. Since there is no chance in the immediate future hat there will be any official announcement about this, I think it is time to give the subject a rest for a while.

I will open the thread if anything interesting happens.

Thread Closed.

Sam Russel.

Since there appears to be interesting developments re DU, I am opening the thread again.

Please be careful to stay on topic.

Planning has been applied for re a site vital to the Pearse Station development.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/envir...lock-1.2958453

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

While it seems a major oversight to allow any developer to get to this stage with a property that is supposedly so crucial to the project, I feel we can all agree that the best thing to do here is just to deny planning and CPO the site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Hummm, a developer, <snip>. I wonder who that could be?
    <snip>
    Naaaaah

Anyway, I'd love to see DART Underground progress, but the cynical side of my brain seems to only pick up on rumours about it actually being built when there's a potential election looming (ie FG/Independents consistently falling in the polls).

An article in the Irish Times last year, or maybe the year before, suggested that PPP could be an option. Surely we're doing well enough here again for a company in the private sector to be interested once more in getting involved in a big project like this?

Mod: Please do not name people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    While it seems a major oversight to allow any developer to get to this stage with a property that is supposedly so crucial to the project, I feel we can all agree that the best thing to do here is just to deny planning and CPO the site
    the council say 7 floors is too much. As far as I'm concerned am enquiry should be held into the farcical handling of mn and du... what were the enabling works for du? Absolute pocket change... when they are holding their meetings, I'll be going to their netting and laying into them. I suggest others do the same. These circular debates are farcical / infuriating... these politicians and civil servants are being paid serious money. To come out with this ****? It's not good enough... du should have started and as mn still has planning for another few years. I'd just have said " project is fine, just can't proceed at this moment" that would have required telling the truth though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »

The best thing to do overall is get the planning application for the project in ASAP so we don't find this happening again and again.

I've done something that I would generously call "sleuthing" and had a look at this "Rails Investment Ltd." in Malta. The company has no website of their own, which is a little sus in itself, but I can't find anyone on LinkedIn who claims to work for them either. Checking the maltese company registration forms (Company Reg no: C 75756) gives a founding date of 27/05/2016 (shortly before the site was bought), and an address shared by Astra Consulting Malta Ltd., which was founded by an individual who I won't name due to the snip from the moderator in a post above

In the planning application on Dublin City Council's Website (ref: 4177/16), the same individual that founded Astra Consulting Malta Ltd. is listed as the Director of Rails Investment Ltd.

I believe the company was set up with the express purpose of buying the site that was known to become part of a train station (RAILS INVESTMENT for Christ sake)

Honestly, I don't think that this development is going through planning for any reason other than to inflate the cost of the site before the inevitable CPO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

AAAAAAAAA wrote:
    Honestly, I don't think that this development is going through planning for any reason other than to inflate the cost of the site before the inevitable CPO

The state got itself into this mess by letting planning permission lapse and not funding the CPO purchases necessary. It's hard to blame a speculator from trying to profit on their indecisiveness.

I disagree, I feel that this form of speculation is essentially stealing from taxpayers and morally bereft

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

markpb wrote: »
    The state got itself into this mess by letting planning permission lapse and not funding the CPO purchases necessary. It's hard to blame a speculator from trying to profit on their indecisiveness.

This is it in a nutshell. For a paltry sum of money, DU could have been protected. This site is not the only one. There are a few others where ventilations shafts etc. were going. Expect a clusterfcuk of a situation very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm fuming here.

What an absolute shocker.

“Currently we’re spending around €175 million while competitor cities abroad, like Manchester and London - cities we’re competing with on a daily basis for business and jobs - are spending 2-3-times as much.”

The Chamber is calling on the Government to act this year to avert what it calls a “looming congestion crisis” and wants Dart Underground to be brought back onto the transport agenda.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/northsidewest/articles/2017/02/01/4133922-chamber-warns-of-transport-crisis/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/metrostyle-green-line-upgrade-to-add-capacity-35425965.html

Work is also under way on a redesign of the Dart Underground project, costed at €4.5bn but postponed in 2015.
    The current plans include an 8.6km tunnel from Inchicore to East Wall with stations at Inchicore, Heuston Station, Christchurch, St Stephen's Green, Pearse Street and Spencer Dock.

The NTA is considering if tunnelling should begin at Heuston, instead of Inchicore, and terminate at Pearse Street. This would save "hundreds of millions", Ms Graham said.
    In addition, the number of stations could be reduced. Those under threat include Inchicore, Christchurch and St Stephen's Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Brilliant - why not have no stations at all, think of the savings!

Truncating the tunnel at Pearse is also insane as it removes all the operational benefits of separating the lines - it makes the decision to not connect the Luas lines look well thought out and rational.

Advertisement