Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

it's oh-so-quiet. How's everyone doing?

I've been running 5k three times a week since I finished the programme. I've been doing it slowly but i've been doing it consistently. I'm gonna keep going at 5k for a few weeks and then kick it up to 6k after a while.

The thing is, now that i've been doing i regularly, once I keep a steady pace it's pretty easy. I've trained my body to think that running for 38 - 40 mins straight is easy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

MrStuffins wrote: »

I've been running 5k three times a week since I finished the programme. I've been doing it slowly but i've been doing it consistently. I'm gonna keep going at 5k for a few weeks and then kick it up to 6k after a while.

The thing is, now that i've been doing i regularly, once I keep a steady pace it's pretty easy. I've trained my body to think that running for 38 - 40 mins straight is easy :pac:

:( I haven't. I have been out running 4 times since doing the race and have struggled. I haven't been able to do the distance due to pain in calf muscles.
    I think I may have pushed too hard to achieve the 5k. Gonna take it easy on the running this week and do some bike work.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Well done on your progress!! Would love to be up to where you are!! :cool:

Started week 2 today. So 90 seconds then walk for 2 minutes. Actually didn't think it was too bad. Not sure I had much left in the tank though when the 90 seconds were up. :o Laura recommended running with your heel hitting the ground first, is that what people do? I run (well jog!) with the balls of my feet hitting it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Fair play. Have you tried Parkruns? Great motivation to work on your running and to enjoy the company of like-minded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Well done. I finished week 7 last night. Very slow, only covering around 3.2 km in the 25 minute run - I think I could walk it as fast which is kinda puzzling me.
    Anyway, week 8 starts tomorrow night - my first 28 minute run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

I'm still plodding along through the app. I only finished week 3 last night. I had to repeat a couple of days due to hurting myself - not dealing with knots in my glutes properly, hurting a foot by tying laces too tight and then when it was below freezing, I didn't stir out.
    It's a nice feeling of accomplishment though getting through those 3 minute runs. A few weeks ago I struggled with the 90 second runs! That's keeping me going and getting me back out every few nights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Laura recommended running with your heel hitting the ground first, is that what people do? I run (well jog!) with the balls of my feet hitting it first.

Have a friend doing the C 2 5k at the moment and she mentioned the same thing.

Runners in general are more likely to have a midfoot or forefoot strike I think, and in fact in some circles heel-striking is frowned upon (though there's not an 100% consensus on what's best). I think just "run the way you run" and don't stress over this little detail.

I'm still plodding along through the app. I only finished week 3 last night. I had to repeat a couple of days due to hurting myself - not dealing with knots in my glutes properly, hurting a foot by tying laces too tight and then when it was below freezing, I didn't stir out.
    It's a nice feeling of accomplishment though getting through those 3 minute runs. A few weeks ago I struggled with the 90 second runs! That's keeping me going and getting me back out every few nights :)

Keep it going - it's a brilliant programme and leads you along gradually - I'm up to 25 minute runs (literally from the couch!) - should have started 28 minute run last night but postponed till tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I was heel strike throughout the C25K and didn't have many issues but had problems with my ankle once I started to consistently do 5k per run. It could be completely unrelated but changing to midfoot has eliminated the issues I had. There was a video on YouTube that made my mind up on changing which I will post if I can find it but it basically asked you to jump up and down on the spot on your heels and then do the same landing midfoot. The difference in shock absorption was enough to convince me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've found things a lot easier since i concentrated on not heel striking, first few weeks I was doing it the whole time and I had much more aches and pains than i do now.

• Advertisement

Phew! Managed another 5k this morning and was comfortable throughout. Was getting worried there! Think I just shredded my legs on the first 5k.

Another milestone some will understand: I can now close my high viz vest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Phew! Managed another 5k this morning and was comfortable throughout. Was getting worried there! Think I just shredded my legs on the first 5k.

Another milestone some will understand: I can now close my high viz vest! :)

Great going Francie . New wardrobe time. A big plus for me was going clothes shopping and having a choice of what to buy instead of just having to buy what was available in 46".

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Joe Hill

In week 2 starting tonight

Attempted w4d1 last night. The jump from 3 minutes to 5 wiped me. I couldn't manage the full 5 minute intervals, 3 and a half to 4 was my limit. Would I be better off repeating w3d3 again or try w4d1 again?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No worries Gremlin. Repeat WK4D1 again and watch your pace. If you think you're running slowly already then run even slower. You will manage it..

Thanks quickbeam. I'll give it another shot tomorrow night and see how it goes. Hopefully last night was just a bad night and tomorrow will be easier

On a slightly different note, what apps does everyone use for tracking distance? Are there any that are more accurate than others? I don't have a running watch and bring my phone with me (iPhone)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks quickbeam. I'll give it another shot tomorrow night and see how it goes. Hopefully last night was just a bad night and tomorrow will be easier

On a slightly different note, what apps does everyone use for tracking distance? Are there any that are more accurate than others? I don't have a running watch and bring my phone with me (iPhone)

I don't have an iphone, but my brother does and he uses Map My Ride. It seems to work very well.

I hit the same problem as you in week 3 or 4 too (cant remember which one) and on advice here just redid it. And got back on track.

I use the pay version of this. Does all I need for now, but I fancy a watch soon.
    http://splendid-things.co.uk/getrunning/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Hi Gremlin I use strava to track my distance. I would not worry about distance yet though, Some people finish the 5k app and are jogging 5K others are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As pcuser says above, I wouldn't worry about this at all until you're finished C25k at least. I understand the temptation, I was the same, but it will just make you try to compete with yourself which is no use. C25k is all about running for the allotted time, at a nice handy pace, as slow as you need to. Tracking your distance will make you put the wrong kind of pressure on yourself imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well, almost exactly a month since I completed C25K (running 30 minutes on 11th Nov), I have now finally run 5km!!

I'm not sure my time as I start my app from the moment I start moving so includes my warm up, and I don't stop it until I stop, so it includes my cool down. I'd estimate I took about 46 minutes as my average pace (again including the walks) was 9.32. So, now that I've that under my belt, I can look at getting down to a reasonable enough time. Very pleased with myself this morning!!!

That's great QB, keep it up! Sustain that effort and you'll be running half marathons before you know it :D

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well, almost exactly a month since I completed C25K (running 30 minutes on 11th Nov), I have now finally run 5km!!

I'm not sure my time as I start my app from the moment I start moving so includes my warm up, and I don't stop it until I stop, so it includes my cool down. I'd estimate I took about 46 minutes as my average pace (again including the walks) was 9.32. So, now that I've that under my belt, I can look at getting down to a reasonable enough time. Very pleased with myself this morning!!!

Congrats!

I used an app called endomondo the free version before I got a watch , I tried strava, map my run, Wahoo Fitness and a few others .

At the time I found endomondo the easiest to use though I use strava now because the groups here use it I still sync all my runs to my endomondo account and I have that set for KM's starve is miles . Handy to have both.

Re accuracy, On my iphone 5 they were all very accurate when compared to my watch data, I changed phone to a Samsung s5 and they are not nearly as accurate, it measures long so a 5 k run would register maybe .1 or .2 of a km more which is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Week three run one done at lunch. I found it fine, surprisingly. Didn't eat great for the weekend (or ate really well, depending on how you look at it!!) so was very happy I managed to complete it :D

Postponed week 8, run 2 last night. Should be doing it tonight but not sure I can fit it in. Dreading doing it tomorrow night.

Postponed week 8, run 2 last night. Should be doing it tonight but not sure I can fit it in. Dreading doing it tomorrow night.

You've managed every run so far, it'll be no bother to you.

W4D1 round 2: managed 4 minutes of 1st 5 minute run, had to walk 3 and a half minutes into second one for 30 seconds and ran remaining minute.
    I wish there was 4 minute running intervals between week 3 and 4!
    Will try again Thursday and if no joy I'll repeat w3d3 over the weekend. I'm feeling quite stuck with week 4 :/ it's whopping my a$$!

W4D1 round 2: managed 4 minutes of 1st 5 minute run, had to walk 3 and a half minutes into second one for 30 seconds and ran remaining minute.
    I wish there was 4 minute running intervals between week 3 and 4!
    Will try again Thursday and if no joy I'll repeat w3d3 over the weekend. I'm feeling quite stuck with week 4 :/ it's whopping my a$$!

Hi Gremlin2011 great progress so far running for 4 minutes is a massive improvement in a few weeks.

Try slowing your runs down as they get longer , I know from my time on the plan this was the best piece of advice I was given. They are supposed be easy pace ie You should be able to hold a conversation while you run, just don't let anyone catch you talking to yourself.

The best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

@The Muppet - that's true! It's easy forget how I've come on since starting, when 1 minute was an achievement :)

I've really slowed down since I treated myself to new runners (got under armour Gemini 2's - no shin splints since!) My legs go all weird if I try to slow down further, it's like I'm tensing my calves too much? I even put music with a lower bpm on my phone to try and keep a slower rhythm!

My usual tricks of telling myself to run to the pole, sign post etc didn't work! I might try a different route for tomorrow night as I'm doing the same one since I started C25K

Advertisement