Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

And they were incorrect.. How? :rolleyes:

Because I am and always have been an Irish citizen. With an Irish passport with an Antrim address living on the Island of Ireland. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_2_and_3_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

Mod Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

bear1 wrote: »
    So I called the NDLS center in Mayo and they couldn't give me much info but said the licence must be surrendered to them on the spot no matter what.
    So I'm back to square one.

Just to follow up on this, they have emailed me now saying I can keep my licence if it is still valid.
    Bloody confusing lot they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

FWIW, I'm waiting for my replacement licence since 28 April..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Because I am and always have been an Irish citizen. With an Irish passport with an Antrim address living on the Island of Ireland. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articles_2_and_3_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

Mod Snip

Plenty of Irish citizens have Irish passports and also live outside the state of Ireland, just like you. NDLS were correct. You are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Plenty of Irish citizens have Irish passports and also live outside the state of Ireland, just like you. NDLS were correct. You are not.
    Born on the Island of Ireland. Not outside it.
    An Irish state body of all groups is in breach of article 2 of the Irish constitution by denying me the right to identify myself as Irish and making me state I am from the UK. Or be rejected.

As I said at the start .

Unconstitutional.

the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

No one is saying you can't identify yourself as being Irish. NDLS are simply saying that you can't put your country of birth as being Ireland - because it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

sorry to hijack yhe thread but what my uk license ran out about 4 years ago what would be involved/required to change it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

bear1 wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this, they have emailed me now saying I can keep my licence if it is still valid.
    Bloody confusing lot they are.

That's the rule; if it's in date you can keep it until you receive your new licence and then post it back to them. Even if it were expiring the very next day, they would have to give it back to you. If it were out of date when you went in to apply, they'd have to take it off you.
    bugsntinas wrote: »
    sorry to hijack yhe thread but what my uk license ran out about 4 years ago what would be involved/required to change it here?

You'll have to apply for a replacement here as you're resident here now. You'll need;

- the expired licence (or if it's lost, you'll need the Guards to stamp your application form)

- a Foreign Letter of Entitlement from the UK authorities stating your driver record (categories, start dates etc). This is because whether you have your last licence or not, it's expired and needs to be supported by this letter.

- If you have a Northern Irish licence, you'll also need to surrender your counterpart or if you've lost it, you'll need to provide a Garda stamp for it.

- You'll need proof of residency.

- Proof of identity.

- Proof of address

- Proof of PPSN

There are also potentially other documents you may need depending on your circumstances, such a birth certs, marriage certs, GNIB cards etc but the best thing to do is maybe pick up the phone to the NDLS and have a conversation with them and let them pose some questions to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Mine arrived today, so exactly a week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I just booked an appointment at my local NDLS for next week and the soonest one I could get was for next Friday. Then I looked at the walk in appointments page and it says it has 0 for the next working day, which is, I presume, the half day they open for tomorrow. And over 100 for the next 7 days. So doea this mean that I shouldn't bother trying tomorrow morning but if I show up first thing on Monday morning I might get an appointment for that day?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah, I went in one Saturday which listed walk in appointments available and got one fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

A quick Q please.
    Lost all photo IDs and i have only copies of them.
    Got signed and stamped the Garda "lost licence" application form ok,will the NDLS will accept it as it is with copies !?
    Is a lost permit and not a new one.

Emailed them off the online form but no reply received yet...

Thanks

If you're certain that you have no photo ID (the PPSN card that has the picture is an acceptable photo ID, btw) then what you have to do is download, print and fill out the NDLS cert of ID form, have it signed by a Guard or other suitable person and bring it, along with a copy of your birth cert to the NDLS office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you're certain that you have no photo ID (the PPSN card that has the picture is an acceptable photo ID, btw) then what you have to do is download, print and fill out the NDLS cert of ID form, have it signed by a Guard or other suitable person and bring it, along with a copy of your birth cert to the NDLS office.

Original long form birth cert only. Copies aren't accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm heading to North America in 2 weeks and just realised that hiring a car would be a lot easier with one of the new credit card type licences than with my current paper licence.
    Am I mad?
    Website says 5 - 8 days turnaround for issue, is that reliable?
    Can they issue quicker?
    Can I hold onto my paper licence in the interim or must I surrender that on application?
    Will have to do walk-in appointment in Leopardstown/Ballyogan, anyone any recent experience of heading in at 9am?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You'd be completely mad imo, I believe you give in your old license.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You'd be completely mad imo, I believe you give in your old license.

I was actually told to post mine off once my new one arrived.

I never did :eek:

Can't remember the turn around but it may be worth a try if you get an appointment and can hold on to your paper licence in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Caliden wrote: »

I never did :eek:

Can't remember the turn around but it may be worth a try if you get an appointment and can hold on to your paper licence in the interim.

Well I mailed them the other day to ask what to do with my now expired paper license and the responded saying to mail it back to them.. address below if anyone needs it:
    Please be advised that you may return your old expired licence to the following address:

RSA
    P.O. Box 112
    Ballina
    Co. Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

I'm heading to North America in 2 weeks and just realised that hiring a car would be a lot easier with one of the new credit card type licences than with my current paper licence.
    Am I mad?
    Can they issue quicker?
    Can I hold onto my paper licence in the interim or must I surrender that on application?
    Will have to do walk-in appointment in Leopardstown/Ballyogan, anyone any recent experience of heading in at 9am?

I am in a similar boat to you. I went into the Cork City NDLS last friday and the guy behind the counter put it down as a replacement for a damaged one (now my old one is a bit battered but still usable,) let me keep my current license and as it was a replacement not a renewal there was **no charge**:D(current license expires in 2 years) I got told the 5 to 8 working days thing as well, but as I was able to keep my old one I dont mind too much

HTH
    Toppy

Am I mad?

They won't exchange a valid licence without good reason. If you're not after losing your licence or it's been damaged or unless you're changing some personal detail such as address or name or making some other change, they simply won't give you a card licence for your convenience's sake even if you're willing to pay.

However;

If it's in date and valid, it will be given back to you.

It'll definitely be on the far end of the scale at the moment.
    Can they issue quicker?

There's no fast-tracking system, I'm afraid.

Can't say about waiting times but there are walk-in slots available. Getting in early and being prepared to wait is the best way of doing it as long as there's nowhere you need to be urgently.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well I mailed them the other day to ask what to do with my now expired paper license and the responded saying to mail it back to them.. address below if anyone needs it:

Caliden wrote: »

This is the system and you should send it off.

-Toppy- wrote: »
    I am in a similar boat to you. I went into the Cork City NDLS last friday and the guy behind the counter put it down as a replacement for a damaged one (now my old one is a bit battered but still usable,) let me keep my current license and as it was a replacement not a renewal there was **no charge**:D(current license expires in 2 years) I got told the 5 to 8 working days thing as well, but as I was able to keep my old one I dont mind too much

HTH
    Toppy

It won't have been free because it was damaged but it may well have been free due to a change of personal details such as address so happy days they accepted it that way because they saved you €35 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Have to get a medical form filled out to renew my licence,question is do you have to get it filled out by your own doctor or can it be any registered medical doctor......

P.s I just came across this on the NDLS website and as I,m not applying for any of these just the group one which are allowed to drive I think 3,700kg so a car with trailer or van,cheers...
    Your driving licence application must be accompanied by a Medical Report Form (D501) if you:
    • Are applying for a driving licence in respect of a truck or bus, licence categories C, C1, CE, C1E, D, D1, DE or D1E (unless you have previously provided a medical report which is still valid)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It can be any doctor. Doesn't need to be your GP.

What makes you think you need to have it for your licence renewal?

CiniO wrote: »
    It can be any doctor. Doesn't need to be your GP.

What makes you think you need to have it for your licence renewal?

Thanks for reply,i was getting confused with that NDLS website and a mate said I needed to with the new set up but saw somewhere else on the site it states if you answer yes to questions 23 plus you need to get a medical form filled out which my replies are no and also if your applying for group 2 so I should be grand just filling the renewel form and having the correct paper work,cheers..

damon5 wrote: »
    if you answer yes to questions 23 plus you need to get a medical form filled out which my replies are no and also if your applying for group 2 so I should be grand just filling the renewel form and having the correct paper work,cheers..

Here's the application to renew a driving licence form (there is a different form for learner permits).

Basically, if you answer yes to any driver fitness question, if you're 70 or over or if you're applying to renew existing truck or bus full entitlements or learner categories then you need a valid medical report. If you had the 101 notation on your last licence (denoting you had a medical condition when you last applied to renew) then you would need a medical report to declare yourself fit and remove the 101 notation.

If you're just renewing group 1 categories (AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE & W), you're under 70 and you answer no to all driver fitness questions (questions 23-44) then you don't need a medical form.

As regards question 22 for eyesight- if you wear glasses, tick yes and you get the 01 notation. If you used to wear glasses and don't need them any more, you will need an NDLS eyesight report to remove the 01 notation. If you never wore glasses and still don't (ie, if you don't have the 01 notation on your current licence), you answer no to Q22, you don't get the 01 notation and nothing changes.

Am I turning you on?

On my current 10 year old licence I have 01 to wear corrective lenses and 101 renewal subject to submission of valid medical report.On the old licence it had me covered to drive B < 3,500kg with corrective lenses and C c1 < 7,500kg with corrective lenses and 101 a medical report,also E+B car and trailer with corrective lenses and E+c1 truck and trailer < 12000 kg with corrective lenses and medical report.
    So i,m assuming ..
    I don't drive or have a need any more to drive anything over 3,500 kg being the max for group 1 which I will going to apply for,
    I will just tick YES to question 22 that I use corrective lenses on the Group 1
    renewel form and so then I don't need a medical form to be filled in as I,m going for a Group 1 and not a Group 2,
    That the code 101 that is also on my present licence the renewel subject to submission of a valid medical report is now irrelevant,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Anyone know if forms are available to fill out in the offices. Forgot to print a D401 before i left work. Have an appointment Monday.

Also my licence isnt up until 24th oct...will they renew it Monday ?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Anyone know if forms are available to fill out in the offices. Forgot to print a D401 before i left work. Have an appointment Monday.

Info here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/renewing_a_full_driving_licence.html

damon5 wrote: »
    On my current 10 year old licence I have 01 to wear corrective lenses and 101 renewal subject to submission of valid medical report.On the old licence it had me covered to drive B < 3,500kg with corrective lenses and C c1 < 7,500kg with corrective lenses and 101 a medical report,also E+B car and trailer with corrective lenses and E+c1 truck and trailer < 12000 kg with corrective lenses and medical report.
    So i,m assuming ..
    I don't drive or have a need any more to drive anything over 3,500 kg being the max for group 1 which I will going to apply for,
    I will just tick YES to question 22 that I use corrective lenses on the Group 1
    renewel form and so then I don't need a medical form to be filled in as I,m going for a Group 1 and not a Group 2,
    That the code 101 that is also on my present licence the renewel subject to submission of a valid medical report is now irrelevant,thanks.

You probably have entitlements to AM, B, BE, W, C1 and C1E- these are a very common set of entitlements that drivers would have gotten in the UK and Ireland up until the very early 90's for passing the car test. C1 and C1E are group 2 categories and since you no longer wish to use them, you can submit a declaration to surrender categories form. Bear in mind that if you let these categories lapse for more than 10 years, you will lose the entitlement to add them back onto your licence- these cats are very useful if you ever want to drive a decent sized camper in the future. If you do want to add them in the future, you just have to apply again and bring a medical report.

Since it appears that none of your group 1 categories had the 101 notation you won't need a medical report this time. Your dec. of surrender clears your group 2 categories. Since you still wear glasses, just tick yes to q22. This time, there is a different section for 'global' notations at the bottom of the card and the 01 notation will go there to denote you need to wear glasses to drive any vehicle.

dashoonage wrote: »

I can't say if they have the forms at the office but they will have them in most libraries and Garda stations.

You can renew your licence up to 3 months early, so you're well covered. They will also give your current licence back to you as it's not expired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

cantdecide wrote: »
    I can't say if they have the forms at the office but they will have them in most libraries and Garda stations.

You can renew your licence up to 3 months early, so you're well covered. They will also give your current licence back to you as it's not expired.

Boom Garda Station....mint...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement