Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating people with mental health issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

so we have come to 27 posts and no one has suggested (well I dont think) how we can safeguard public from possibly being attacked by a person with mental issues or them self harming themselves whilst they are on a very long waiting list to get proper help.

Obviously I would like to wave a magic wand and make help available Immediately for these people but its not happening, so what else is in place or what can be put in place?

What are we at the moment, when people do find the courage to go to the GP they are told there is a huge wating list and you cannot get to see someone for at least 6 months or a year - but here, take these anti depressants, and dont forget to take them - its very important you take them and dont miss a dose and dont drink with them .... and go out for walks in the fresh air . This should keep you going until you get an appointment....

Andy there exists the mental health act which is the mechanism by which persons with a psychiatric illness who pose a risk to themselves or others can be admitted involuntarily to a mental facility. Another poster has already posted About it and posted a link. Go and educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Post 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Smondie wrote: »
    You're right. It's probably a bit of A and a bit of B. But it's obvious they're unstable and they have delusions that someone from boards is ****ing thier dog

*sigh*

This is the kind of demonizing that is ridiculous. Just because someone is an asshole, don't assume and announce that they're mentally ill.

Also, tbh I absolutely fail to see what your worry about being doxxed has to do with this thread, except to announce the people doxxing are mentally ill, just to get a rise from them.
    No, what rational person comes to the conclusion that someone is ****ing thier dog, because they don't agree with a comment they made on boards?

It's obvious things aren't ticking right

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Wesser wrote: »
    Andy there exists the mental health act which is the mechanism by which persons with a psychiatric illness who pose a risk to themselves or others can be admitted involuntarily to a mental facility. Another poster has already posted About it and posted a link. Go and educate yourself.

Wesser, read over all of Andy's comments. It's a poorly worded title and first post but he's asking a genuine question about getting help in a situation where your GP isn't really taking concerns seriously.

I thought the same as you until a fair few posts of his.

It's just not as clearly expressed as it could have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Mental illness is a weird one. People can pretty much just say "I'm mentally ill" to excuse any ****ty behavior they might engage in and it's seems to be acceptable.

Plus, a load of people just spoof it because it's a hard one to dispute.

Imagine someone with cancer doing something despicable and using the fact that they have cancer as an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

lawlolawl wrote: »

It in the same vein as false rape cases.

Its big business down in Four Courts, its one of the requirements for getting an annulment, the report itself is c €10,000-20,000, cash, which is nothing when its a project to defeat a multi-million divorce action.

Its also used as a defence in a number of criminal trials.

You get 2 shrinks to write it up the right way, slam dunk, off to the CMH for a few weeks, then 2 more shrinks write it up to say he / she can be let out under licence, slam dunk eile.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Its big business down in Four Courts, its one of the requirements for getting an annulment, the report itself is c 10,000-20,000, cash, which is nothing when its a project to defeat a multi-million divorce action.

You get 2 shrinks to write it up the right way, slam dunk, off to the CMH for a few weeks, then 2 more shrinks write it up to say he / she can be let out under licence, slam dunk eile.
    It works too if you're caught robbing from a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Its big business down in Four Courts, its one of the requirements for getting an annulment, the report itself is c €10,000-20,000, cash, which is nothing when its a project to defeat a multi-million divorce action.

As one of the shrinks as you call them for a criminal trial is appointed by the state are you saying the state is involved in some fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

OP that really is one of the most offensive uneducated and ill informed opening posts I have read of boards.

It really needs to be rewritten if you want a proper discussion of the topic.

Mental illness covers a broad spectrum ranging from mild to severe and to imply that everyone suffering from a mental illness is the same is very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's despicable the weakest in society with no voice being treated like that

Sime of the strongest people I know in life suffer from mental health issues,.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Also, the "no voice" thing is nonsense along with the idea that no one talks about mental health.

It's quite the opposite. Nowadays, no one shuts up about mental health and everyone has something wrong with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/performancereports/Mental%20Health%20Division%20Operational%20Plan%202016.pdf

Page 120 some 790 million is the Mental Health budget for the HSE this year, a considerable rise since 2014.

Um...the only thing I would say is shop around. Haven't heard of this big business you speak of.

You can get a brilliant medico legal from a leading psychiatrist here in the SW for €500 plus VAT. Not sure they would give a fraudulent report though, as wouldn't the other side examine it and just send up their own expert to tear it apart? After all, establishing that someone was not compos mentis to enter the marriage contract is setting the bar pretty high., you make it sound like they're doling out a prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Billions of people in the world have mental issues, be it believing in a man in the sky or that the walls talk to them.

Safe-edgy as fúk tbh.

There are some very stigmatizing generalizations being made here that can affect a mentally ill persons chances of employment and lead them to social isolation and worse health. The vast majority of violence is committed by people with no history of mental illness.

The following page is from the Washington dept of education, but there's no reason to think it doesn't broadly apply everywhere:

http://depts.washington.edu/mhreport/facts_violence.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Mental illness is a broad term. I dont think people with anorexia or OCD are any more likely to go on stabbing sprees really.. Even mental illness associated with violent behaviour such as schizophrenia are not dangers to the public generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Wesser, read over all of Andy's comments. It's a poorly worded title and first post but he's asking a genuine question about getting help in a situation where your GP isn't really taking concerns seriously.

I thought the same as you until a fair few posts of his.

It's just not as clearly expressed as it could have been.

thanks, you hit the nail on the head and explained it better than I could. - thank god someone can see what I am getting at

Sound Bite wrote: »
    OP that really is one of the most offensive uneducated and ill informed opening posts I have read of boards.

It really needs to be rewritten if you want a proper discussion of the topic.

Mental illness covers a broad spectrum ranging from mild to severe and to imply that everyone suffering from a mental illness is the same is very wrong.

I'm not implying that *everyone* with a Mental ilness is a danger to everyone .... but it cannot be denied that there are also a lot of people with mental issues that maybe have not been diagnosed, or have not seeken help, or who have seeken help and been prescribed tablets and miss doses or believe they dont need medication any more , that could possibly be a danger to the public and because the way of the world has gone now and due to cutbacks in the health service and the legacy of Victorian 'mental institutions ' of the past some people with severe mental issues and macabre voices in their heads of harming themselves and/or others that because of long waiting lists to be diagnosed and get proper psychiatric help quickly what can be done to lessen a possible risk to the public . - these latest spates of attacks , only after the attcks do we hear the offender was an introvert, kept themselves to themselves, had no friends, had mental issues, voices in their heads telling them to do stuff and a couple of them on a waiting list to see a psychiatrist or didnt even seek help themselves but after attack was deemed to have mental issues. -

Now, what can be done with similar people in similar circumstances so no more innocent people have to be attacked or killed until these people with severe mental issues and are just left in society with no help , or waiting a year for help what can be done there to stop any more attacks done on general public whilst they are waiting for their help? - or are we to keep our fingers crossed that the majoritory of these sever mentally ill people will not get the voices in their head to go out and kill demons/ innocent members of the public because that is what the voices is telling them to do. - it cannot be ignored that there are people out there that do have these thoughts and are not getting the help they need, and in a quick enough time, or are too, maybe ashamed is not the right word, but embarrassed maybe to seek help.

Sime of the strongest people I know in life suffer from mental health issues,.

Are they getting the required satisfactory help and medication and counselling and in time for their issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Mentally ill people being a danger to others is seriously far, far less common than you seem to think it is.

• Advertisement

Also, the "no voice" thing is nonsense along with the idea that no one talks about mental health.

It's quite the opposite. Nowadays, no one shuts up about mental health and everyone has something wrong with them.

But on the other end of the scale of things I think too many people these days have a few off days and feel under the weather a bit and then start thinking "oh i must be suffering from depression"

Candie wrote: »
    ...The vast majority of violence is committed by people with no history of mental illness.

I tend to think out of the box, as much to say that even with people that are angry a lot of the time and need anger management is that it , a lot of the times I reckon is brought on because the person with anger issues could have been bottling up his/her anger ... and then that could be a close tie with mental issues.

just as someone with mental issues needs to talk things over and get help, people with anger issues also need to talk things over and get help

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Mental illness is a broad term. I dont think people with anorexia or OCD are any more likely to go on stabbing sprees really.. Even mental illness associated with violent behaviour such as schizophrenia are not dangers to the public generally.

I dunno , Im definately no expert on the matter but in the case of OCD sufferers the feelings (and the acompanying) voices in the head telling you to do something can be quite powerful and very hard to ignore. I myself suffer a bit from OCD even though I am not diagnosed with it, im almost sure, the jitters and everything i have if something is out of my routine , or if I forget to switch something off. Sometimes I can go to bed and forget or cannot remember whether I switched something off and you know how some people can forget or not worry about it, well i will get the jitters and have to get out of bed to make sure. Its controlling, but not enough that I got to get any kind of medical or psychiatric help for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Stay in Sligo OP

Mentally ill people being a danger to others is seriously far, far less common than you seem to think it is.

is that because even these days its still classed as taboo subject and a lot of people learn to adapt to it or just live with it or dont get help ... these kind of people will not show up in any kind of statistics . And although not as taboo as it was years ago I still have no doubt that it will be a taboo subject with people and families for years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I dunno , Im definately no expert on the matter but in the case of OCD sufferers the feelings (and the acompanying) voices in the head telling you to do something can be quite powerful and very hard to ignore. I myself suffer a bit from OCD even though I am not diagnosed with it, im almost sure, the jitters and everything i have if something is out of my routine , or if I forget to switch something off. Sometimes I can go to bed and forget or cannot remember whether I switched something off and you know how some people can forget or not worry about it, well i will get the jitters and have to get out of bed to make sure. Its controlling, but not enough that I got to get any kind of medical or psychiatric help for it

Ah here, OCD now causes people to hear voices, and you have self diagnosed it in yourself too?

Educate yourself before making asinine statements about people with an illness.

is that because even these days its still classed as taboo subject and a lot of people learn to adapt to it or just live with it or dont get help ... these kind of people will not show up in any kind of statistics . And although not as taboo as it was years ago I still have no doubt that it will be a taboo subject with people and families for years to come

It's not taboo anymore. People DO get help for it. Are you living in the 80's in Sligo?

Would I be right in saying that getting help for mental issues is much better and faster getting help the more you move nearer to Dublin and other big cities in Ireland or are the long waiting lists a countrywide kind of issue?

Can we just lock this thread before it gets out of hand?

Methinks Andy from Sligo is trying to rise a row?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Being mentally ill is the new way for Politically Correct leftists to deflect attention away from Islamic Terrorists. "He was mentally ill, and it had nothing to do with him being a migrant Muslim terrorist and brainwashed with hate".

Quiete frankly I find it appalling and there really is no low that the Politically Correct and their ilk won't stoop to, the few mentally ill people I know are the biggest danger to themselves and no one else.

Could you supply evidence of this claim or is it the voices in your head?

Advertisement