Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating people with mental health issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Water John wrote: »
    Anti depressants can take about 6 six weeks to be effective. One may actually disimprove in that early phase, hence the risk mentioned.

I felt it took about 1-2 weeks myself with my ones I think. I couldnt believe even a small dose how it made me feel so tired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Being mentally ill is the new way for Politically Correct leftists to deflect attention away from Islamic Terrorists. "He was mentally ill, and it had nothing to do with him being a migrant Muslim terrorist and brainwashed with hate".

Quiete frankly I find it appalling and there really is no low that the Politically Correct and their ilk won't stoop to, the few mentally ill people I know are the biggest danger to themselves and no one else.

When has anyone ever said this? Never thats when. Stop making excuses for right-wing policy makers failing to protect people.

anyone think that counsellors that have been through mental illness and issues themselves would make better 'experts' than the ones that are already in the system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Unpopular view here but it has to be said.

Aware groups. Dealing with mental illness in a group setting. Largelly based around AA sharing of experience.

There is always something woman who had some unspecified sexual contact sometime in her history. She always dictates the group, she is always unemployed and living life to the full at the taxpayers expense. Unable to cope. Proffesional scammer.

I was raped twice as a child. Sexually assaulted a few times before I left my teens. This affects me in a few ways but not in any way that means I need expensive care.

There is a lot of wasted resources in mental health but it takes someone mental to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Ok - you cannot lock Mentally ill people away like the old days .... but also we cannot go on with some mentally ill people being to a danger to the public by knifing them or shooting them or whatever else they might be capable of .

What are people views / ideas on what can be done to safeguard the public - better than what is being done at the moment? - bar cutting down the long waiting list for people to get medical psychiatric help - what more can be done until these people get the help they need , what is not being done at the moment?

There is so much wrong with your post that I'm sure anybody here with mental health issues would be upset over.my partner has chronic bpd with suicidal ideation he'd never hurt anyone only himself,what people or carers do is sit in A&E for hours I've sat with my partner for 36 hours to keep him safe you should go read the lti forum(before anyone says it's not called bpd anymore I know I'm just used to it)actually op check my threads on bpd in lti.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

FortySeven wrote: »
    Unpopular view here but it has to be said.

Aware groups. Dealing with mental illness in a group setting. Largelly based around AA sharing of experience.

There is always something woman who had some unspecified sexual contact sometime in her history. She always dictates the group, she is always unemployed and living life to the full at the taxpayers expense. Unable to cope. Proffesional scammer.

I was raped twice as a child. Sexually assaulted a few times before I left my teens. This affects me in a few ways but not in any way that means I need expensive care.

There is a lot of wasted resources in mental health but it takes someone mental to see it.

Everyone is affected differently. Well done you for being very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I honestly don't know, I do think tough it's important to focus on helping kids from primary school onwards to improve their mental health.
    Bullying would be a major issue that effects people later in their lives. Encouraging kids to get help as soon as possible so it doesn't build up on them.
    Shown kids that they can all be good at something. Not everybody is good at maths and Irish. Subjects such as gardening and basic cooking which may lead to a healthier lifestyle would be beneficial for mental health in my opinion.
    Also sometimes kids struggle with maths/English in school and all they need is a bit of extra support such as a few resource hours could be beneficial. Sometimes funding can be a problem sometimes teachers can be to lazy to fill out the paper work or they simply just think the child is thick. I've also heard of parents refusing extra help for their kids because they think they kid is a genius when in fact they need help and it will effect them later on in education by refusing the help now.
    When secondary school comes around I think they should be a lot more support offered around drugs/alcohol. If I'm being honest most suicides I've heard of drugs and alcohol were often factors.
    I think alcohol has changed a lot in Ireland since around the year 2000. Their was a time and most kids encounter with alcohol was on a Sunday afternoon in a pub whilst they were having Coke and Taytos. Give your kid a bottle of Coke in a pub now a days. Your the worst parent ever. For starters your making them obese and you've them in a pub. The same people however don't have a problem knocking back a few bottles of wine a week in front of their kids tough at home (Just in my experience)
    Secondary schools should also have adapt a bit more to the kids you struggle with the core subjects and don't want 600 points. From the day you start in first year all you hear about is the leaving cert . Whilst going to University is important for some, it isn't for others. I also think better career guidance in needed. I know people and they think they've to do a job to make mammy and daddy happy or the points are high. When in actually fact they want to do something else.
    Social media is also a problem and it's getting worse I'd say especially around body image and bullying.
    I don't think that answers your question but I think it's important to start young.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think that is a good point Andy. It would not replace the professionals but be a support network.
    Mental issues are so varied and individual, each person, where they have the capacity have to sort of put together those elements of support and help that suit themselves, that achieve maximum positive impact. A sort of 'bake your own cake' from a common list of ingredients.
    These include medicines, CBT and lifestyle etc.

Water John wrote: »
    I think that is a good point Andy. It would not replace the professionals but be a support network.
    Mental issues are so varied and individual, each person, where they have the capacity have to sort of put together those elements of support and help that suit themselves, that achieve maximum positive impact. A sort of 'bake your own cake' from a common list of ingredients.
    These include medicines, CBT and lifestyle etc.

I bet there would be loads who have suffered (or maybe ongoing suffering) would love to get in the mental health care system in Ireland and help others .... now all I can see though without being negative, is them getting caught up in red tape, and having to go through courses and pass qualifications to get to that stage and putting people off - wish i didnt think like that but that is exactly what i think it would be like.

But i think if I went to get help from a 'expert' and they were telling me to do things and saying 'I understand what you are going through' and I turned around and said "have you been through it yourself then?" and they were to say well personally no I havent" I dunno whether i would have much faith, even if they said to me I have trained for 4 years in mental health. But if you did go see someone and they really did have 'life experience' and pulled through it how much better that would be!

I felt it took about 1-2 weeks myself with my ones I think. I couldnt believe even a small dose how it made me feel so tired

My partner was put on every possible anti going he's also on 3 sleepers a night because he harms himself in his sleep he's on dalmaine
    Noctamid and stilnoct (excuse spellings)he's on a 3 day script but the reason for his sleeping Meds is to keep him asleep so he won't harm himself.now I will say he's done cBT and dbt and dbt worked at 1st he's doing something totally new now but the name won't come to me it's working but he'll never be off sleepers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Fabb

Jesus effing christopher talk about a selfish person laying the blame on mentally ill to protect your snowflake Isis lovers.

A spate of attacks happen in a period from men of Northern African/ME descent months after the Paris shootings in Europe and with just one case happening elsewhere in Japan which was a former employee of a care home.

Somehow it's cool to blame mentally ill people?

Get a grip and get a life.

Ok - you cannot lock Mentally ill people away like the old days .... but also we cannot go on with some mentally ill people being to a danger to the public by knifing them or shooting them or whatever else they might be capable of .

What are people views / ideas on what can be done to safeguard the public - better than what is being done at the moment? - bar cutting down the long waiting list for people to get medical psychiatric help - what more can be done until these people get the help they need , what is not being done at the moment?

Also Andy I've been dealing with my partner's depression must be 7 year's now I'm in a hotel room alone 1001 lol)and he's at home minding our 4 kids the nearest and the most stupid thing that he ever done was my fault I tried to take a leatherman of him i was lucky he wouldn't give it but I could have got hurt psyches told me after that to leave the room and ring for help asap I've spent 7 year's doing suicide watch all my kids are teens and they only know what they need to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I dont really know - thats why I was looking to others views.

I know that when/if people start getting 'voices in their head' telling them to do something that it can be so powerful that some people simply cannot switch those voices off and it takes over. Its not as easy as that
    Funny thing is in many parts if the world, the voices people hear in their heads are more playful and child like. In the West though they seem almost exclusively dark and demonic. Probably says a lot about the culture we live in.

Also, women in many other cultures apparently don't experience mood swings during their periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Saw this thread, clicked in.

Saw it was started by you, clicked out.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Saw this thread, clicked in.

Saw it was started by you, clicked out.

I'd have loved to ignored also but I'll fight for mental health,I've had to.

Maybe change it to people with mental health issues and not make it sound like anyone with mental health issues is radicalised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What I don't get is how people seem to be narrowing the whole concept of mental illness down as though it is a singular disease. Mental illness is an overall term for a vast array of issues with massively varying degrees of severity. The huge majority are safe for other people. A small few are more risky but the risk affects a small few within a small few.

However, those denying that are as bad as those who think all mental illness is dangerous. I love how those saying the groups behind London attack etc are caused by mental illness are accused of being left wing pc crazies... when those accusing them are doing exactly the same thing. It could very well be mental illness, but one of the very few of the very few. There's no point denying they exist, but again, mental illness is a general term and one doesn't represent all. The same way as you can't say cancer, as a physical illness, is comparible to a common cold, also a physical illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

In my experience something has to go wrong before people will see to it that a family member gets mental help. For example someone becoming unable to look after themself .

People are nervous of mental illness and terrified of psychiatric wards etc, understandably, and will try to continue as though all is well for as long as they can .

Most of the time the 'voices ' people with schizophrenia hear aren't telling them to go and do anything horrible (in my personal experience ). That really is mostly a hollywood misrepresentation that causes a lot of the fear of mental illness .

I think mentally ill people are being thrown under a bus by the media r.e terror attacks .

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think mentally ill people are being thrown under a bus by the media r.e terror attacks .

It's despicable the weakest in society with no voice being treated like that

Billy86 wrote: »
    Funny thing is in many parts if the world, the voices people hear in their heads are more playful and child like. In the West though they seem almost exclusively dark and demonic. Probably says a lot about the culture we live in.

Also, women in many other cultures apparently don't experience mood swings during their periods.

That is really interesting . Traditionally it seems the Chinese are more comfortable with the idea of spirits (ancestral spirits in the home etc)

Is it something like that ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's despicable the weakest in society with no voice being treated like that

Isn't it similarly despicable to describe people with mental illnesses as "the weakest in society?"

I have mental health problems and I'm very far from the weakest in society. I function like any other normal adult, I go to college, I had no issues holding down jobs before college, I have a healthy long term relationship, great friends, great family, hobbies, everything.

So please don't describe us as weak. Many people with mental illness manage perfectly fine with a little help. Needing a little help does not make one weak.

As for the media demonizing mentally ill people - I haven't seen that. The stabbings in London were attributed to the perpetrator's mental illness. That's fact, not demonization.

I think the original post is crass and wholly ignorant, but the simple fact is, a very, very small minority of mentally ill people are indeed a danger to society. That said, the majority of mentally ill people are either no danger to anyone, or a danger to themselves.

Brushing acts attributed to mental illness under the carpet is just stigmatizing mental illness further. Mental illness CAN lead you to do something dangerous.

Will it lead you to do something dangerous? Probably not, but it can in some unique cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭LuckyRoche

It's sad alright. It's easier for some than to admit the alternative.
    But neighbour Parmjit Singh, a BBC radio DJ known as ‘DJ Precious’ on the Asian network, said he had known ‘impressionable’ Bulhan for seven years, adding: ‘His mental health problems are a scapegoat.’

The 36-year-old said: ‘They said he had mental health issues but that was not the boy I knew.

‘The news of his mental illness is completely new, we never heard that. Honestly, I think his mental health problems are a scapegoat.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

People don't always share mental illness. The attack took place near a mental health clinic afaik

LuckyRoche wrote: »
    It's sad alright. It's easier for some than to admit the alternative.

''Asked what he thought motivated the attack, Parmjit said: ‘I think peer pressure, hanging around with gangs. He wasn’t working, he was hanging around with Somalian boys and I think they had possible links to serious ISIS people – not directly, but they see all this stuff and are inspired by it.

‘Why would he attack an American woman tourist in a random attack? I think boys have put pressure on him to go there and do something. ''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

There is an mentally unstable person trying to dox? me and another 4 or 5 boards users on the internet at the moment. It's quite funny but sad if that's all they have going on in thier lives , I hope they don't try and stab me in my sleep.

Smondie wrote: »
    There is an mentally unstable person trying to dox? me and another 4 or 5 boards users on the internet at the moment. It's quite funny but sad if that's all they have going on in thier lives , I hope they don't try and stab me in my sleep.

How do you know they're mentally unstable? They could just be an asshole, the two aren't mutually exclusive

Dox?

How do you know they're mentally unstable? They could just be an asshole, the two aren't mutually exclusive

You're right. It's probably a bit of A and a bit of B. But it's obvious they're unstable and they have delusions that someone from boards is ****ing thier dog

Dox?
    Yes. It's finding out the persons real name and address. For what purpose, I'm still not sure.

• Advertisement

You're right. It's probably a bit of A and a bit of B. But it's obvious they're unstable and they have delusions that someone from boards is ****ing thier dog

*sigh*

This is the kind of demonizing that is ridiculous. Just because someone is an asshole, don't assume and announce that they're mentally ill.

Also, tbh I absolutely fail to see what your worry about being doxxed has to do with this thread, except to announce the people doxxing are mentally ill, just to get a rise from them.

Advertisement