Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

sioda wrote: »
    I see on Facebook that the whitehouse may be closing and reopening as a sports bar.

Real shame if it does imho

Saw that too wondering is it a publicity stunt?
    But its gonr very quiet over all i belieive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'd imagine that the interior must be protected? I hope it is!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I can't see why anyone in their right mind would convert The White House into a sports bar. Firstly you would completely alienate and lose your current customer base and then you'd have to market the place as a sports bar which would be fairly hard and costly given that it currently has a reputation. I thought it had been doing fine but that obviously isn't the case.

Where did you guys see this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

It is all over facebook. There's a page after being set-up to petition the new owners not to change the place. It is closing the end of July in its current form and reopening as a sports bar according to some on that page. I doubt it is a wind-up as the people posting there are well known regulars.

Also only the exterior is protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

O yaa & Crush is closing again For renovations & Rebrand under new management.

So the 'vermin' aren't back then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

hahaha no its just usual renovations. they are all gone to the icon (cattle mart) ;);) anyway :p:p:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

Does anyone know what's happening with Nigel/Eddie's Barbers on Little Catherine Street? I went there recently and it looks like there was renovations taking place, but no signs up or anything.

It's closed for good I'm afraid.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

It's closed for good I'm afraid.

Ah shíte, Nigel's a good lad. Any idea what happened or if he's opened anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭phog

sioda wrote: »
    I see on Facebook that the whitehouse may be closing and reopening as a sports bar.

Real shame if it does imho

Publicity stunt?

Didn't he or a previous owner threaten to close the pub if the smoking ban came in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lets hope it doesn't end up like the Brazen Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Tefral

testicles wrote: »

Indeed they do.. Kilcoyne is in on it too apparently

This is depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Town always seems busy when I go there i guess it's the quality of the staff that keeps people coming back to William St

I'd agree. I live near the one in the crescent but I prefer to go to the one in town. I find that the staff in town are more friendly and helpful than the ones in the crescent(it used to be that both were as good).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good bit further up than most pubs trying to re-establish it as something of a sports bar, and isnt it quite small for that purpose, but I'm sure the rugby crowd will go there if Killer and Murray are involved, like everyone did when the Claw opened Clohessys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ugh, can we please have one pub in Limerick that is not filled with wannabe rugby jocks. There literally is no decent place to head out in Limerick anymore, can't remember the last time I went out in town.

Big names are only going to get themselves so far. They're are plenty of other premises in Limerick that would have been more suited to a sports pub than the White House. I really didn't think the White House was doing that badly either yes it could have done with some work but not so bad that it would be sold and turned into a sports bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

If i had the money and name, I'd have been looking at the old Quinn's premises for that kind of deal (not sure if it's part of the never never Opera Centre area though)

• Advertisement

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Big names are only going to get themselves so far. They're are plenty of other premises in Limerick that would have been more suited to a sports pub than the White House. I really didn't think the White House was doing that badly either yes it could have done with some work but not so bad that it would be sold and turned into a sports bar.

It had its niche but obviously somehow it wasn't enough.

I know plenty of people actually who rather like the White House pub and location but are turned off by the clientele.

I can see the new venture appealing to a lot more people in comparison to its current set up.

White House could be turning into a hipster bar.All a stunt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    White House could be turning into a hipster bar.All a stunt

Funny thing is that the White House is already a hipster bar. It always has been. It's just not the in your face 'chips in buckets', 'sitting on pallets', 'drinking from jam jars' faux hipster that we associate with places like the Red Hen.

Funny thing is that the White House is already a hipster bar. It always has been. It's just not the in your face 'chips in buckets', 'sitting on pallets', 'drinking from jam jars' faux hipster that we associate with places like the Red Hen.
    Your right its tge new hipsters professionals etc

Jesus The Red Hen wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the most hipster bars in Limerick, not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Are Wacky Shoes in town on the way out? Rooneys & GVM seem to be advertising their unit as available for immediate occupancy. Haven't been in town in a few weeks, anyone know if there are any posters on the windows or anything?

property.ie
    daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

The Red Hen? Hipster bar? Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Alonso77 wrote: »
    The Red Hen? Hipster bar? Wha?

I said faux hipster. Upcycled furniture, large gin menu, quirky light fittings. It's going for that whole east London look. Mother Macs does it as well...it just works a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I said faux hipster. Upcycled furniture, large gin menu, quirky light fittings. It's going for that whole east London look. Mother Macs does it as well...it just works a bit better.

I get ya. It was pretty clear what you meant the first time, mainstream with a faux hipster kinda vibe. It's not a difficult concept, well I can't see the cause for confusion anyway.

Aside... I was working in a place where a guy brought his own jam jar in case he'd have to resort to drinking from a mug or a glass. Snacks on offer included some kinda greek? Turkish?stuff wrapped in vine leaves. Obviously kale juice was avaliable. Serious hipster stuff haha.

• Advertisement

Townie_P wrote: »
    Are Wacky Shoes in town on the way out? Rooneys & GVM seem to be advertising their unit as available for immediate occupancy. Haven't been in town in a few weeks, anyone know if there are any posters on the windows or anything?

property.ie
    daft.ie

I was in there only a few days ago and there was nothing to indicate that they were closing down or moving and the staff didn't say anything. Seems weird to obviously be closing down or moving if you building is available to rent but not clearing stock or telling customers.

Advertisement