Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options
  • 31-12-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New thread for a new season!

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nadal, Osaka and Raducanu all making comebacks this week. Nadal will play Thiem (!) in the first round of Brisbane, Osaka opens against Korpatsch also in Brisbane whilst Raducanu will play Ruse in Auckland. Will be interesting to see all their respective levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Just realised that all my tennis watching on amazon prime video has now come to an end. Not sure how I missed that Sky have the rights for the next 5 years - loved having it on amazon although it was not always easy to find the match I wanted. I don't take the sky sports package as I don't watch anything else. Anyone use Now tv? Or any other ideas as to the best value or deal to watch the tennis for the next 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oooh, is tennis going to be on sky from now on?? I signed up to sports to watch the Ryder and Solheim Cups, was considering cancelling soon but if there's tennis......

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

I knew Sky had bought the rights but I didn’t realise it was for 5 years. I already have Sky Sports but I’m not looking forward to all the matches involving British players we will have to put up with. I loved Prime as I could watch all my favourites and loved that I could catch up at any time.

Osaka is on Sky tonight and Murray v Dimitrov tomorrow morning. There’s an account on Twitter/X, think it’s tennis on telly and he is pretty good for updating what’s on and what channel. Auckland isn’t being televised but Radacanu’s match will probably be streamed. I was looking forward to watching Svitolina v Wozniacki but unless I open an account with Bet 365 that won’t be happening.

Happy New Year to all tennis followers.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Petra Kvitova is pregnant, baby due this Summer. She'll be 34 in March, closer to 35 by the time she'd be ready to return, I wonder will she come back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Would think that's the end of her. Always felt she never really fulfilled her potential ( like so many on the women's tour) had a decent career, but, felt it could have been so much better, even before that knife attack which obviously affected the latter half of her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Great to see both Emma Raducanu and Rafa both win their first matches back after injury!

Osaka too, good to see them all win on return. Raducanu has Svitolina next so will be expected to lose that, but all she wants at this stage is matches. Currently only needs one more withdrawal to make the Australian Open entry list, which she'll likely get, but going through qualies would probably be better for her at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Murray beaten in his first match 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

15 euro a month deal on NowTV Sports package is pretty much the only "legal" option to watch tennis from Ireland at the moment, I think.

Sucks so much, Prime was legit sooo good. Hell, I still come back and watch that Cincinnati final in full anytime :( we really had it so good :(

• Advertisement

I was watching tennis from Brisbane this morning on Sky Sports. Only one match being shown, but better than nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

No point watching now, Nadal is back, 12 months out and beating everyone already. He's a dead cert for the AO title.

You'd miss Hector 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Looks like raducanu on her way out (looks to be collapsing in the third) but taking a set of svitolina and only losing the second on a tiebreak is promising.

Decent enough level from Nadal after almost a year out, even if he lost. With a good draw he might make QF/SF in Melbourne.

Gave the crowd a long goodbye too, looks like he knows for sure he won't be back next year.

Some great finals to start the year on the WTA side, with both top seeds reaching the finals in Brisbane and Auckland. Sabalenka and Rybakina will play each other in Brisbane, with Gauff and Svitolina making the final in Auckland. Hoping Rybakina wins in Brisbane, I'd like to see her improve her poor finals record, which currently stands at just 5-9.

Both top ATP seeds made the final in Brisbane also, with Rune set to play Dimitrov. I wonder when, if ever, there's been three #1 vs #2 finals on the same weekend?

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nadal out of Australian Open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think he'll probably retire after the French Open this year. That's if he even gets to play!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't see Nadal making the FO. He won't do a Murray and drag the arse out of it being non-competitive. He won't break NDs slams, but his FO record won't be broken.

• Advertisement

Just watched the ladies final from Brisbane..... I was not expecting a demolition job on that scale!!

Rybakina looking in dangerous form.

Another good win for Draper against Tommy Paul, thought he might be a bit wrecked after tough battle with Kecmanovic in last round but it seems not!

Draper into the final in Adelaide another good win over Bublik

Draper lost in final against Lehecka, he seemed leggy as it went on alas. Hopefully his fitness doesn't continue to be an issue.

Australian Open thread here in case anyone didn't see it

Oh wow, Ireland playing Davis Cup against Austria in Limerick tomorrow, with Michael Agwi taking on Dominic Thiem! Disappointed to see tickets are sold out, had I actually taken notice of the press release and seen we were playing Austria I might have went.

Don't really follow Davis Cup so not sure how Austria are ranked low to play Ireland, but I'm sure the fans in Limerick aren't complaining.

When you are losing to Paire it is well and truly time to go.

Probably true, he has come out swinging on twitter though!

• Advertisement

i suppose at the end of the day he likes playing at a high level and he will be retired very young no matter what. Just seems crazy for him specifically because of the past injuries.

Advertisement