Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options
  • 24-05-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So how did we all vote on this topic

Directly Elected Mayor Limerick 89 votes

Yes
    77% 69 votes
    No
    22% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    So how did we all vote on this topic

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭topcat72

definite yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Voted yes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Voted yes.
    Directly elected mayor is a lot more accountable than an appointed city/county manager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Voted yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

banie01 wrote: »
    Voted yes.
    Directly elected mayor is a lot more accountable than an appointed city/county manager.
    We will still have a City/County Manager as it's a Council Staff Position.
    The only difference with a directly elected mayor is that he/she will be elected by the Public rather than elected by the local Councillors. I can't see that making them any more accountable in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Some of the costs associated with a directly elected mayor seem fairly high... although it's not far off the Bobby Byrne catering bill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Went with a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    We will still have a City/County Manager as it's a Council Staff Position.
    The only difference with a directly elected mayor is that he/she will be elected by the Public rather than elected by the local Councillors. I can't see that making them any more accountable in fairness.

They can shape policy and local development plans over a multi year agenda rather than the current model of basically being chairmen of cc meetings and 1st amongst equals.
    It to my mind at least gives a focus for "executive" authority. Yes the council still has sway, but it gives an accountable and electable chairman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hell yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

banie01 wrote: »
    They can shape policy and local development plans over a multi year agenda rather than the current model of basically being chairmen of cc meetings and 1st amongst equals.
    It to my mind at least gives a focus for "executive" authority. Yes the council still has sway, but it gives an accountable and electable chairman.

Yes, it's an electable chairman.....assuming the plebiscite vote gets a 'yes'. But I can't see how this makes the Mayor any more accountable. The Mayoralty changed regularly anyway (regardless of how well they performed). Unless a publicly elected Mayor can literally keep the vast majority of Limerick voters very happy they will be voted out at every election. I honestly don't believe they will have any more influence than the Current Mayor.

TBH, it just seems like we are being encouraged to follow the Dublin/New York, etc System just to make us feel like we live in a 'Big City'.
    There is also the fact that any elected Mayor will possibly exude a sense of self-importance because his/her people elected them, rather than the current system.

As already mentioned this change will end up costing you and me, and when your Property tax increases another bit to help fund this extra regular election I really hope you feel you are getting value for your money.

But let's wait and see how the voting goes. I know it will probably get the nod BTW :).

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

No

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Were there any exit polls done on this? I can’t find any.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just saw on the Leader website that the plebiscite votes won't be counted until Monday. The referendum and then the local elections will be counted first.
    iguana wrote: »
    We’re there any exit polls done on this? I can’t find any.

I haven't seen anything, bu we should have tallies by lunch time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Voted yes

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Voted No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

kilburn wrote: »
    Voted yes
    Voted No.

To both of you. Why?

For me I feel the city manager has too much power and is not answerable to anyone.

A directly elected Mayor will have most of the powers and can be booted out if they are not delivering.

Although I do believe the salary is too high

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The directly elected Mayor will get a big fat pension

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote:
    A directly elected Mayor will have most of the powers and can be booted out if they are not delivering.

kilburn wrote:
    Although I do believe the salary is too high

On the contrary, I think the salary is far too low and could be a stumbling block in attracting a high calibre of candidate. If that is the case all that would be needed is for some wealthy, successful individual with strong Limerick connections, who possesses initiative, drive and good ideas that would benefit the city and who is willing to put themselves before the electorate. Good luck with that, as they say.

150k a year for a mayor is way too much

Is that the correct figure I have I could be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Voted yes
    Voted No.

You'd make a lot more money with a small business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

RTE were suggesting that the Directly Elected Mayor would fail in all three cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    RTE were suggesting that the Directly Elected Mayor would fail in all three cities.

I feel the lack of concrete information is what cost them. Hearing salary figures from 120k-180k pa. Along with two advisors on big enough salaries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I would prefer proper local government reform.

An elected mayor on his own would struggle to cope with the culture that exists in Local Authority, in terms of achieving stated objectives, we all know our issues are much deeper than superficial.

We should be electing a mayor, who appoints the local state solicitor (do not underestimate how important this position is), has huge influence in policing issues, should also be allocated the entire tourism/festival/culture spend, planning, plus the ability to fund large scale projects, ie, cycling infrastructure.

I am not sure, one mayor on his/her own would have any ability to deliver despite best intentions.

kilburn wrote:

kilburn wrote:

I think that's the correct figure. It would be a good salary for the boss of a medium sized manufacturing company or an experienced chartered accountant or solicitor but for the Chief Executive of an entire county with all the responsibility that would entail it seems low. People who would otherwise be well capable and qualified would earn far more in the private sector. I voted no in the plebicite because I disapprove of the idea of having an electoral contest for such a position although I would welcome the appointment of an executive director by the government and the redundancy of county councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I voted no. In any business a strong case needs to be made in order to create a position that pays almost 130k. This I feel wasn't done, people mainly seemed to hinge on a "keeping up with the Joneses" approach, that is Limerick would be left behind if we didn't vote yes.

People underestimate the role of senior county council employees and organisations like the IDA have in shaping Limerick's future. Imo voting yes would have just created a lucrative junket for political party faithfuls and wannabe celebs like Richard Lynch and Celia Holman Lee.

And don't get me started on the debacle that Limerick has had 2 mayors up to now...

And yet the guy who had the mayoral chain stolen from his car romps home in the election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I voted no. In any business a strong case needs to be made in order to create a position that pays almost 130k. This I feel wasn't done, people mainly seemed to hinge on a "keeping up with the Joneses" approach, that is Limerick would be left behind if we didn't vote yes.

People underestimate the role of senior county council employees and organisations like the IDA have in shaping Limerick's future. Imo voting yes would have just created a lucrative junket for political party faithfuls and wannabe celebs like Richard Lynch and Celia Holman Lee.

And don't get me started on the debacle that Limerick has had 2 mayors up to now...

Will we still have two mayor's who get selected because it's their turn and paid 50k each rather than one elected mayor whose paid 130k?
    And yet the guy who had the mayoral chain stolen from his car romps home in the election

Well that's his version of events and it's quite the story he came up with too.

Advertisement