Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH THREAD: Connacht vs Leinster, 19th Sept 2014 19:35, The Sportgroud, TG4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Hagz wrote: »
    Issue? What issue?

Last year we won a consecutive Pro 12 and our 'A' team won the B&I cup. We made it to the Heineken Cup QF and lost to the eventual winners Toulon.

It's the third week into the Pro 12. Leinster haven't got an issue. Are we going to win the Heineken Cup (or as it's now known the Rugby Champions Cup)? I very much doubt it, but that doesn't come down to a coaching issue. That comes down to simply not having the squad calibre that we had a couple of seasons ago.

Leinster rugby is still in a very healthy state, and that will show through when the season reaches its end. And then Sexton will come back and we'll all feel gay about Leinster rugby again.

What you say makes no sense. Squad calibre. And exactly how is squad calibre in Connacht somehow better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ouncer wrote: »
    What you say makes no sense. Squad calibre. And exactly how is squad calibre in Connacht somehow better.

What part doesn't make any sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

twinytwo wrote: »
    Given the population of leinster and the schools set up etc... it would be a ****ing travisity if they actually needed to bring in 6 foreign players.

If only munster would get the thumb out and sort out their schools

Plenty of foreign players there already. Its not all Rock, Belvo, Clongowes these days at all. Even from counties other than Dublin and Kildare. So I dont know what he could have to complain about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Your posts aren't making any sense. Leinster do not have the same calibre of squad that they had a year or two ago. Connacht does not come into it.

Few pints tonight maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Uh, what?

When did I say Connacht's squad calibre is better?

• Advertisement

Issue? What issue?

Last year we won a consecutive Pro 12 and our 'A' team won the B&I cup. We made it to the Heineken Cup QF and lost to the eventual winners Toulon.

It's the third week into the Pro 12. Leinster haven't got an issue. Are we going to win the Heineken Cup (or as it's now known the Rugby Champions Cup)? I very much doubt it, but that doesn't come down to a coaching issue. That comes down to simply not having the squad calibre that we had a couple of seasons ago.

Leinster rugby is still in a very healthy state, and that will show through when the season reaches its end. And then Sexton will come back and we'll all feel gay about Leinster rugby again.

I make the point on squad calibre. We, in the west, struggle day by day. Ye guys have the internationals. We fight and continue to fight. Not having the squad calibre is a ludicrous statement as man on man ye shud have whipped us. We just (and I have to take argument here) have a better manager

I make the point on squad calibre. We, in the west, struggle day by day. Ye guys have the internationals. We fight and continue to fight. Not having the squad calibre is a ludicrous statement as man on man ye shud have whipped us. We just (and I have to take argument here) have a better manager

What on god's green earth are you on about?

I never made any connection between Leinster losing last night to Leinster's drop in squad calibre. You just made that connection in your head.

You stated that Leinster have an issue, specifically a coaching one. I stated that we don't have an issue. A 1 point loss out in Galway in week 3 is not an issue. It's disappointing sure, and Leinster have work ons, but you commented like there was some sort of crisis in Leinster.

As for Pat Lam being a better manager than Matt O'Connor, I have no way of giving an educated response to that. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes. What I will say is that he took us to the knockout stages in the HC and the Pro 12 trophy last season, which is the best I thought we could do.

What on god's green earth are you on about?

I never made any connection between Leinster losing last night to Leinster's drop in squad calibre. You just made that connection in your head.

You stated that Leinster have an issue, specifically a coaching one. I stated that we don't have an issue. A 1 point loss out in Galway in week 3 is not an issue. It's disappointing sure, and Leinster have work ons, but you commented like there was some sort of crisis in Leinster.

As for Pat Lam being a better manager than Matt O'Connor, I have no way of giving an educated response to that. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes. What I will say is that he took us to the knockout stages in the HC and the Pro 12 trophy last season, which is the best I thought we could do.

You indicated you no longer have the same squad calibre. All I'm saying is get real. This is what Connacht have dealt with for donkeys years. I just say you are not justified to use that argument against Connacht.

You indicated you no longer have the same squad calibre.

We don't. That is real. That's fact.
    I just say you are not justified to use that argument against Connacht.

I didn't. My patience is wearing thin here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

ball.ie put up a gif of marmions step on kearney, pretty good

http://balls.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/km.gif

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »

Checked link. Got forbidden response. Freyners what type of site are you directing us towards☺

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Here's that McSharry tackle on Rob. That's twice he was put on his ass :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

freyners wrote: »

Without wanting to downplay Marmion's step, the step really highlights Kearney's continued weakness as a last line of defense. It is the prevailing issue with his game.

Always has been. He's open about it himself.

Zzippy wrote: »
    That's twice he was put on his ass :D

Twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Heno97

Killser wrote: »
    Flat, everything was flat, just blehhhh. Leinster, doesn't seem like we have much clue what we're at some of the time. Static gathering the ball, kicking with no real plan, slow ball from the base and no-one steering the ship. Regrettably, I cannot remember when I last watched Leinster and enjoyed the rugby - winning is brill, but playing good rugby is absolutely essential. Toward the end of the match when we were pushing for the drop, I started to shout on Connacht to keep us out, as it would have been utterly unfair for them to lose after such a display of grit and determination. Was delighted to see them get their just reward ( I don't mean that to sound condescending sorry, no offence meant)

As for us... I remain loyal as ever, but disillusioned, I want to see someone grab the team and shake the jaysus into them

You feel a need to reaffirm your loyalty after one loss?
    Don't know how to feel about that as a Connacht fan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Twice?

Once by Marmion, once by McSharry I presume Zippy means.

Or he could be referring to Henshaw's hit on him a couple of seasons back.

• Administrators Posts: 53,368 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did that end up a penalty to Connacht?

Toner just flopped down on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

awec wrote: »

Yeah

But nothing to do with Kearney; his ball presentation was immaculate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

Heno97 wrote: »
    You feel a need to reaffirm your loyalty after one loss?
    Don't know how to feel about that as a Connacht fan..

Didn't want to sound like a fair weather fan, even though I only post now and then - feel a bit intimidated saying anything on boards, its not like I know half as much as most posters on the boards!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

AngeGal wrote: »
    Once by Marmion, once by McSharry I presume Zippy means.

Or he could be referring to Henshaw's hit on him a couple of seasons back.

Yep, put on his ass by Marmion's step was what I was referring to, although I'm sure he has no love for playing in Galway after Henshaw's hit 2 years ago. Think he had to go off afterwards, Robbie really crunched him...
    Killser wrote: »
    Didn't want to sound like a fair weather fan, even though I only post now and then - feel a bit intimidated saying anything on boards, its not like I know half as much as most posters on the boards!

There are many of us who know less than others on the forum, please don't feel intimidated, you're welcome to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anywhere to see the Henshaw tackle on Gopperth? Was on a flight during the match and the recording failed :/

But nothing to do with Kearney; his ball presentation was immaculate.

Very good presentation seeing as he'd just been smashed, but pretty awful from Toner to just belly flop on top of his teammate.

It was 9-0 after 15 minutes. Leinster didn't score again. Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Anywhere to watch this game again do you know? I checked tg4 player earlier and it wasn't on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,015 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Padkir wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch this game again do you know? I checked tg4 player earlier and it wasn't on it.

The deepest darkest recesses of my nightmares......

Padkir wrote: »

Might be a repeat on Comedy Central tomorrow.

bfeba60a4424b32ba73a56f15618a38a31efea1d9fd01f985d3b9caa4cbaadec.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Might be a repeat on Comedy Central tomorrow.

Is that before or after that Ulster knock out game hilarity marathon?

:D

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/12987220

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/18051349

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/22016789

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/26840370

You brought this on yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »

If anything, you went easy on him... Pro12 2012/13 and Pro12 2013/14.....

Advertisement